Boss Battles
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boss Battles

The Badassest Gardevoir BadAssGardevoir's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Boss Battles

MOD NOTE: Favorite/Least Favorite/Most Underwhelming Boss battles where merged into one thread, because while the discussion topics were different they all shared a common main topic being boss fights in a game. So in this thread now feel free to discuss any boss battle you loved, one you found difficult, hated for any reason, along with any aspect of a in game boss battle.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

Like the title says: what are you're favourite boss battles and why do you like them so much?

One of my all time favourite would be the Fyrus battle from Zelda:Twilight Princess because the developers did a really good job of making it one verry intense fight, with the build-up (when you enter the room a large black, monstorus figure is chained up and seemingly asleep, but when you move close to it it wakes up, sees you, breifly struggles against the chains, bursts into flames and breaks out of said chains and the battle begins) the fact the camera angle and size of the boss reletive to the room makes said room feel REALLY small and said boss feel surprisingly fast, that music and the fact that when he takes a step the ground shakes, so you hear a constant "boom-boom-boom-boom" whenever he moves, The Ninetales battle from Okami is good for similar reasons (albeit without the "boom-boom-boom-boom" whenever she moves part and this time it's her speed that makes the arena feel small as well as her size.) And then there's the Yami battle (also from Okami.) You know it will be a good fight when it steals all you're Techneques at the begining and it definately delivers with all five of it's phases (though particularly the last one when it tries to rain flaming meteors down on you while one of, if not the best boss battle theme ever plays.) But anyway, enough ranting from me (for now,) over to you next poster.
    Last edited by Dolce; 23rd July 2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Bulbagarden Battle league Fire Elite Four member and Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami,) Shantae and the songs Don't Ever Forget (aka. I Don't Want To Say Goodbye)-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky and Rising Sun (aka. The Sun Rises)-Okami.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Favourite Video Game Boss Battles

I don't know if this counts, but I think my favorite final boss battle was the scene in Black Ops 2 where you slide down some broken metal, get rid of a couple enemy soliders, and take down Raul Menendez. One that I know counts was when I beat Red the first time. So awesome. and it was on my first try. :)
    Metallica, A7X, Pokemon, rage comics, Creepypasta, and Family Guy Rock! But Mainly... 'Tallica! 'm'

Blog Entries

I don't know how I forgot to mention this but I like the Zant battle from Twilight Princess, about the same as the Fyrus battle. They do a great job with this fight, period. Similar to the Ghirham fights from Skyward Sword, the build-up is basicly a conversation between him, Link and Midna but it perfectly shows how crazy (and creepy) he actually is. Then the battle: he has six phases, all using attack patterns similar to previous bosses/minibosses from the game and items that are used in the dungeon of said boss (except the last one); the Gale Boomerang for the first, the Iron Boots for the second, etc. while this music, a distorted remix of the particular boss he's mimicing's theme, getting more and more distorted and crazier with each phase, plays in the background. As for his own attack pattern, it is basicly a swordfight, but a swordfight that perfectly fits Zant: crazy. His attacks include a Great Spin-like attack, randomly teleporting around the arena while using the Great Spin-like attack so that he appears somewhere else in the arena charging (spinning?) at you and just flailing at you with his swords (and yes, he can teleport while doing that as well.) The way he dies if pretty cool (and crazy) to; after another conversation with him Midna losses it and uses her magic to pop him like a ballon. So, in summary, the Zant fight can be summed up in one word: insane. And I love it.
    Last edited by BadAssGardevoir; 24th May 2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Bulbagarden Battle league Fire Elite Four member and Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami,) Shantae and the songs Don't Ever Forget (aka. I Don't Want To Say Goodbye)-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky and Rising Sun (aka. The Sun Rises)-Okami.

The Golden Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

There's only one that sticks out to me immediately, and that's Sapientia in Bayonetta. Just because of how fun of a battle it was, immediately after beating him the first time I actually grabbed the chance to redo the battle. But surfing on the water itself was invigorating with this theme playing in the background.
    Dolce: 4554 - 1270 - 5039
    Trade ShopArt ThreadMy DeviantART

SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I usually despise boss battles so I have very little memory of them but as you might expect, the boss battle in South Park Stick of Truth is pretty fun. It's pretty easy and there's loads of comedy to keep you from stressing out. I also remember enjoying the boss battle in RE5 when I co-oped the game with my brother.

THE WAR ROOM
    ~ The home of Mafia and Non-Mafia games.
    Art tumblr

Blog Entries

How does one despise boss battles? It is the best thing about video games. lol

Nway, my favorites are:

- Most bosses in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II
    - The two spoiler-ish final bosses in Portal e Portal 2
    - Warring Triad, Ultros, Atma Weapon and Kefka Palazzo in Final Fantasy
    - That one boss battle in The Last of Us
    - Kraid, Kiru Giru, Imago, Ridley, Mother Brain, Ruins Test and Ridley Robot in Metroid Zero Mission
    - Incinerator Drone, Flaahgra, Omega Pirate, Meta Ridley and Metroid Prime in Metroid Prime
    - Chykka, Quadraxis and Dark Samus in Metroid Prime 2
    - Ghor, Gandrayda, Rundas, Omega Ridley and Dark Samus in Metroid Prime 3
    - Kraid, Crocomire, Ridley and Mother Brain in Super Metroid
    - Nightmare and SA-X in Metroid Fusion
    - Odolwa, Goht, Majora's Mask, Majora's Incarnation and Majora's Wrath in Majora's Mask
    - Ghirahim, Koloktos, The Imprisoned, Levias and Demise in Skyward Sword
    - Phantom Ganon, Bongo Bongo and Twinrova in Ocarina of Time
    - Puppet Zelda, Ganon and Ganondorf in Twilight Princess
    - Revolver Ocelot, Psycho Mantis, Gray Fox and Sniper Wolf in Metal Gear Solid
    - Ninetails, Waka and Lechku & Nechku in Okami
    - Macho Grubba, Cortez and "?????" in Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door
    - All sixteen bosses in Shadow of the Colossus
    - Most bosses in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Digital Devil Saga 2 and the two Devil Summoner/Raidou Kuzunoha titles

Okay, that is enough. There are more, but I am tired of typing and thinking.

Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

Metal Gear Solid in general has awesome boss battles but definitely the best (that I've played, anyway) would have to be The End from MGS3. Totally unorthodox, but so, so satisfying. It's not often a boss battle tries to be so methodical and quiet and slow, but it totally works - it's like the battle with Sniper Wolf in the first MGS but made so much more in-depth.

The Fear from that same game would be my second favorite - it's just so satisfyingly easy to beat him non-lethally.

"I'm really feeling it!" Chibster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Chibster on Tumblr Visit Chibster's Youtube Channel

I loved facing off with the 16 colossi in Shadow of the Colossus. After every battle, I almost immediately felt a sense of remorse. My thoughts were like this: "Was it really worth killing all of them? What if he's lying to Wander and it's all a scheme?" He as in Dormin.

edit:
    EarthBound-Heavily Armed Pokey, Kraken
    MOTHER 3- Masked Man, Mr. Passion, Killer Cyborg
    Ni no Kuni- Cerboreas, Dark Knight
    Fire Emblem series-Lyon, Petrine, Ashnard, Sephiran, Dheginsea, Mustafa, Grima
    Kirby series-Paint Roller, Computer Virus, Dyna Blade, Kabula
    Okami-Ninetails, Yami
    Last edited by Chibster; 1st October 2014 at 07:05 PM.
    It's me, kyogre545! 3DS FC: 1864-8930-3851
    Claims: Gin (GNG), Inuyasha, Edward Elric, Vash the Stampede, Makoto Tachibana, Kyogre, Drizzle, Blue Apricorn, Squirtle Doll,, Micaiah, Crimson Loftwing, Smiles and Tears, Peaceful Days
    FS: Metang Klefki Ferroseed
    Join my clubs! ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH, Swanna Fan Club, Sweets+Sugary things, W is for Wumbology, the Study of Wumbo!

Blog Entries

Another favourite battle of mine would be the Ripto battle from Spyro 2. The first phase of three is basicly you trying to get three Orbs before Ripto does, whoever gets them gaining the ability to use a powerful attack. The second phase is the same, with the exception of Ripto riding in a mech made to look like the second boss, Gulp, and his three-Orb attacks changing acordingly. The third phase is by my favourite, however: Ripto picks up one of the special Orbs that appear only during this cutscene, causing a giant bird mech to appear for some reason and sink the arena you were previously fighting on into the lava. You then proceed to pick up one of said Orbs, giving you the effects of the Superfly and Superflame power-ups for the remainder of the fight as you proceed with an airial dogfight against Ripto's bird mech.

Also, the Evisorator fight from Ratchet Gladiator, while it isn't to memorable, it is certianly VERY chaotic (and I like chaotic battles,) with the boss either running towards you while constantly slashing, launching a crap-ton of rockets or putting up a sheild while his minions do the work for him.

Blog Entries

Angry Least Favourite/Evil Boss Battles

Have you ever faced a boss that drove you insane with it's cheepness, super-high difficuilty or plain old fake difficuilty? Well, here is a place to rant about all those bastardly baddies that make your hair fall out every time you fight them.

Why don't I start off with a boss I encountered for the first time today that was plain evil: the Omega Pirate from Metroid Prime. The things that make him(?) evil are numerous: first, he dosen't take any damage when he's not attacking (EDIT: he does actually take damage from Missiles and Super Missiles when he dosen't attack, I just didn't know that at the time.) Secondly, of his three attacks, two very hard to avoid, those being; a ground shock which you have to jump over with just the right timing and a claw attack which you have to avoid with the Morph Ball (which I didn't know until I just pressed C by acident.) Thirdly, the four targets you have to shoot are counstantly moving and that can lead to them moving behind his other limbs. Fourthly (is that even a word?,) the arena has multiple pools of Phason, which hurt you if you step into them, and it's VERY easy to step into them when trying to stay the f*** out of the bastard's way. Also, when you finally destroy those four targets he will disapear and spawn two enemies which you have to take out with a specific weapon type. Next, after a short period of time he returns to the arena to heal, which is the only point in the fight when you can hurt him. Which brings me to my next point, the fact that to see him while he's healing you have to switch to the X-Ray Visor, which has no colour vision, meaning you can't see what his minions' weaknesses are while they rack up lots of damage. And NO, it was not tough because I suck at the game; my first death since I started was against him.

Anyways, with that huge rant over, it's over to you next ranter.
    Last edited by BadAssGardevoir; 13th July 2014 at 03:42 AM.

I'm A Bit-I Mean Witch Capricious Equilibrium's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Least Favourite/Evil Boss Battles

I'd probably say Gracious and Glorious from Bayonetta. They were actually mini-bosses, but my point still stands. You cannot gain Witch Time (a time slowdown effect that allows you to weaken strong enemies that are hard to beat without Witch Time, or get rid of the mooks who're getting in your way) off their attacks off of a perfect dodge, Bat Within (Bayonetta), Moth Within (Jeanne) or a Counter Attack with the Moon of Mahala-Kahla equipped. Since they attack in a pair, often in enclosed rooms, dodging will often cause you too move into the others attack radius. Bayonetta will also do a big extravagant back flip on her fifth dodge, which gives the opponent some time to damage her. It also gets very frustrating in one stage of the game. In one of the chapters, Route 666, there is a point where three Gracious attack you, so you have to avoid them, cars and deal damage to them.

Blog Entries

I don't know how I forgot to mention this before, but Hades' heart from Kid Icarus: Uprising is just plain cheep. Firstly, you fight this dastard in a arena which, dispite the fact that it's actually quite large, about half of that space is blocked by walls, which means that if you have a weapon without good homing/the ability to pass through walls then you're screwed. The next anoyence is that whenever you hit it it spawns a copy that explodes after a while, causing a torrent of fire to shoot in four directions, which can be either inconsequential or a curse, depending on your position reletive to the walls. The most annoying thing about it, however, is that when you deal two strong hits to the dastard it gets enraged and charges at you, and that charge is twice as fast as you, meaning you can't outrun it, does a lot of damage, the timing regarding the dodge has to be perfect and by the time you've dodged he's likely come full-circle 'round one of the walls and is charging you again. Also, when you do get him enraged, seeing as that does require a hit, he will spawn one of those exploding copies, meaning you now have the real one's charge AND the fake's explosion to worry about. Cheep, just plain f***ing cheep.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssGardevoir View Post
    I don't know how I forgot to mention this before, but Hades' heart from Kid Icarus: Uprising is just plain cheep. Firstly, you fight this dastard in a arena which, dispite the fact that it's actually quite large, about half of that space is blocked by walls, which means that if you have a weapon without good homing/the ability to pass through walls then you're screwed. The next anoyence is that whenever you hit it it spawns a copy that explodes after a while, causing a torrent of fire to shoot in four directions, which can be either inconsequential or a curse, depending on your position reletive to the walls. The most annoying thing about it, however, is that when you deal two strong hits to the dastard it gets enraged and charges at you, and that charge is twice as fast as you, meaning you can't outrun it, does a lot of damage, the timing regarding the dodge has to be perfect and by the time you've dodged he's likely come full-circle 'round one of the walls and is charging you again. Also, when you do get him enraged, seeing as that does require a hit, he will spawn one of those exploding copies, meaning you now have the real one's charge AND the fake's explosion to worry about. Cheep, just plain f***ing cheep.
    Oh god, Hade's Heart. I hate that one.

But apart from that, there's Walhart from Fire Emblem Awakening. The first time you fight him, he has Sol to randomly recover HP, and if you try to exploit the Weapon Triangle using Lances on him, the reinforcement Wyvern Lords will screw you over. At least he has weakness to Beast Killers and Armorslayers, right? Nope. He mocks you by showing weaknesses then covering them up with his skill Conquest.

At least he drops Sol for you to keep.

And then you fight him again. Only it's different this time. He gets two new skills: Aegis, which halves damage of bows and tomes, and Prescience, which increases his avoid and attack when you initiate attack. He also has a 1-2 range axe with 18 freaking might (in comparison, only one weapon is stronger, another axe). So what do you plan to do? Despite his low Resistance, tomes won't work well because of Aegis randomly occurring, and Lances, like you used to beat him last time, are out because this is an axe. So you hack away with Chrom or Lucina or a unit with high Strength and wields swords, right? No, because Walhart will usually one-shot Chrom, and in my experience, Lucina if I tried her. Not even a super-powered Donnel can solo this guy.

Oh, and reinforcements are coming, too. And there's a few clerics to heal Walhart.

I get that is guy is intended to be the mightiest warrior in the world, but honestly, if he is out-doing 3 of your units at a time, than it just becomes brutal and unrealistic.
    My planned dream team- in the works (eventually)

PM me if you wish to add me as a friend on the 3DS!

Official Claimer of Oblivion Wing on 3/15/14, of the Relic Crown and Enigma Stone on 5/17/14, and most especially Arcanine on 7/5/14!

A E I Own You. PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Silver the Hedgehog (Sonic '06), anyone? Who enjoys being grabbed, told "It's no use!", damaged, then grabbed AGAIN before I can get a single ring back?
    Official Claimer of Himself

"I'm really feeling it!" Chibster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Chibster on Tumblr Visit Chibster's Youtube Channel

I really hate a lot of bosses in FE6; they're so frickin overpowered! By chapter 8, the boss is a General and it takes like 20 turns to take him down!
    Last edited by Chibster; 1st October 2014 at 07:06 PM.
    It's me, kyogre545! 3DS FC: 1864-8930-3851
    Claims: Gin (GNG), Inuyasha, Edward Elric, Vash the Stampede, Makoto Tachibana, Kyogre, Drizzle, Blue Apricorn, Squirtle Doll,, Micaiah, Crimson Loftwing, Smiles and Tears, Peaceful Days
    FS: Metang Klefki Ferroseed
    Join my clubs! ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH, Swanna Fan Club, Sweets+Sugary things, W is for Wumbology, the Study of Wumbo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast