Is the 3DS better at Wifi Connecting then the DS Lite?

Thread: Is the 3DS better at Wifi Connecting then the DS Lite?

Blog Entries
    Add Miya902 on Facebook

Question Is the 3DS better at Wifi Connecting then the DS Lite?

I've had my DS lite for years now, and I've always had problems getting it to connect to the wifi. (And my other 2 DS Lites). Everything inputted into the DS is correct, and everything else including my Wii connect perfectly to my Wifi. Its just the DS' for some reason.

So I was curious, is the 3DS better at connecting, like the Wii is? Or are they all the same?

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is the 3DS better at Wifi Connecting then the DS Lite?

Are you talking about signal strength/maintaining a connection without random disconnects?

I can't specifically speak of the 3DS, but I have found that my DSi has a way stronger connection than my original DS. It seemed like the signal was always on the verge of cutting out on the DS, but I've only very rarely found myself disconnected with the DSi. I'd have to assume these improvements are also present in the 3DS.

Blog Entries
    Add Miya902 on Facebook

Well my DS Lites wont connect at all. They reject almost every wifi connect now a days. So maybe there was an upgrade between the DS lites and the DSi.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

If they won't connect at all, then it could be that they're trying to connect to a router with WPA encryption. The DS can only handle WEP, but the DSi/3DS can do both WEP and WPA. It's more common for routers nowadays to use WPA.

Though something to bear in mind is that (I think) the older Pokemon DS games can only use WEP even if they're being played on a DSi/3DS.

I dunno. If your problem is that you can never connect to a particular router, then it's likely to do with the encryption settings for that particular router. If you can connect to that router sometimes, then it's more likely that the consoles are just having trouble getting/holding the connection.

Blog Entries
    Add Miya902 on Facebook

No its been any router any connection. We've had three routers, it made no difference, the DS never liked them, the Wii did. And I'm using Pokemon White so its not that old.. haha Also the settings were always dumbed down just for the Wii and the DS' even tho the DS' never connected. But thanks, I think I'll upgrade mine.

I can't answer your question about whether or not its better since I've never had a problem with any of my DSs (I've got an original DS, a DSi, and a 3DS).
    I will tell you though, don't get a 3DS just to replace a DS / DS Lite / DSi. It's really a completely different system in the way it functions as well as screen resolution. It has a higher resolution so when you play a DS game on it then everything is blurred slightly, which you may not mind, but I find it annoying. There is the option to play the game in its original resolution, but since the resolution is so high then it comes out looking tiny. The way it powers on / off is pretty annoying (it's designed so it can be literally left on all the time with no need to ever turn it off, but I turn mine off anyway and when you do you have to go through an extra menu usually or you have to hold the button in... it's more of a hassle. Even though it has a lot of new features which are nice, I prefer my DSi over it and I never use my 3DS for anything other than playing a 3DS game or using the 3D camera.