Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal - Page 61

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

well I finally caved and started watching Zexal after seeing so much of it on tumblr and thinking it looked really good. mind you I've never actually watched any of Yugioh before, not Duel Monsters, not GX, not 5D's, nothing. but something about Zexal just looked really interesting so I finally decided to start watching it. I've only watched the first five episodes so far, but I'm really liking it! Yuma is so goofy and adorable, I absolutely love protagonists like him. I love Astral's sass and Kotori is such a sweetie and yeah I'm just really enjoying it, despite having watched so little so far. I'm preparing myself for the inevitable pain and heartbreak that's to come, though. DX
    HumanDawn likes this.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Here's some minor Arc-V news, but news nonetheless:

“The shows main theme is “courageously taking a step forward!!” Using laughter to escape from the harsh reality around him, the main character Sakaki Yuya starts dueling as a way to begin standing up to the difficulties around him, earning the power of infinite possibilities. Through the sight of Yuya continuing to challenge many tough opponents despite his bewilderment, that courageously taking a step forward, is something important we want to tell to the children watching this show. That’s how this work was born.”
    — From the animate.tv page on Yugioh ARC-V.
    Sounds too much like Kattobingu, though I like how there's going to be a harsh reality in his life and trying to avoid it with laughter is an interesting way.

Here's a more clear picture of Yuya!:

Last edited by HumanDawn; 16th December 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by HumanDawn View Post
    I think out of all the duels this season I like the one Yuma and Alit had the most. It wasn't too complex like the others and it had a good balance in strategies, plus it had expanded on Alit's story more, something that's been lacking these past few duels. I also felt it was really fun, and finally finding about the origins of the over 100 Numbers was great and explained a lot of things. Having Alit as an ally now works really well too, and a Gilag and Alit duel is something I'd have liked to see but never thought would actually happen.
    That duel was pretty good. While I kind of figured that the over One Hundred Numbers were part of Don Thousand and he was involved with how the Barians died as humans, it was pretty nice to have that information confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanDawn
    I also really didn't care about Durbe, he didn't pose any threat to anyone, and just remained in the Barian World while the others tried causing conflict and problems for Yuma. He was cool and really interesting in the first two episodes of the fifth season though, but he had like, no personality. I'd even dare to say he could be removed from the group and not much would have been lost. I'm also getting really tired of these recent 2 vs 1 duels, it's just jarring to me as it comes off as a more easy way to remove two characters. I guess I understand why they they did it, but it's still lame.
    He did start sending other Barians to confront Yuma and the others, but considering how well Girag and Alit's initial plans were, it didn't really put Durbe, and by extension the Barians in general, in the most competent light. Aside from that, I think he was there primarily to foreshadow Shark being Nasch due to that comment during their duel and helping to restore his memories of their past lives, so there was something to be gained story-wise from his presence, but I agree that he's really boring. I think that Girag is the least interesting Barian out of the bunch since at least Durbe does have a better connection to Shark than Girag did with Alit, but that isn't really saying much. I'm not really a fan of these two vs. one duels myself for that same reason. I think Vector dueling Merag and Durbe makes a bit more sense than Misael dueling III and V though. There's a better reason for them to duel Vector due to their connection to Nasch and how Vector manipulates that connection through draining Nasch in order to recover life points, as well as enraging him by killing his friend and sister. It's still a weak way to kill off more characters though.

I'm also happy to see Vector get a win, and I like how Don Thousand is now being what Astral is to Yuma too.
    I'd probably be happier with that if it wasn't at the expense of Merag, especially when this will probably be her last duel of the series. I hadn't thought of Don Thousand being like what Astral is to Yuma though.

As for this week's episode, I thought it was okay. I kind of felt bad for Merag dying, but the fact that the outcome was so obvious weakened the emotional impact. While her goodbye to Shark was sad too, using her as further motivation for Shark also weakened the emotional impact her death could have had. Instead of treating her like an individual character, she's depicted more as Shark's sister who fuels his motivation to take action, even though he doesn't really need more of that at this point. When she was still in a coma from the attack from IV, having her be Shark's motivation was fine, but now, it just reminds me of how poorly this franchise treats female characters. If they had spent a bit more time developing Rio dealing with realizing she is Merag or show more about how she didn't want to join the Barians and felt guilty for her actions, as crying after defeating Tetsuo hinted at a bit, I think that there would be more weight to her death since she would have felt a bit more like an individual.

Alit saving Girag was nice and I did feel sad for his death too since unlike with Durbe, Alit has personality. Although, I couldn't help but think how avoidable his death was. Yuma easily could have freed Girag from Don Thousand's control so that both of them could have lived. While Alit and Girag interacted a bit at the start of the season, that was a long time ago and they haven't really had any interactions since then to make Alit wanting to save him that much feel compelling enough. There was a bit of emotional weight behind his sacrifice, but being so forced hurt it a bit too. Girag's death was surprising, but lacked much of any emotional impact because of how sudden it was. At least Merag went out trying to defeat Vector and Alit sacrificed himself to save Girag. Girag just pushed Yuma out of the way, which is nice and all, but kind of weak by comparison. Killing three characters in one episode wasn't really a good idea since it just made the episode feel rush and like it was juggling a bit too much, especially when they couldn't give all of the deaths a fairly equal amount of focus due to how much was going on.

Maybe they want Yuma to lose all of his friends aside from Astral, Kaito and maybe Nasch since he's out of allies again because of how it connects back to his deal with the Door. Vector absorbing the Barians he defeats/kills makes me wonder if Don Thousand plans on absorbing Vector, regardless of the outcome of his duel with Nasch. I'd prefer for Nasch to win at this point, especially when I don't know if I'd want to see Vector dueling Yuma again. The legend behind the dragon creating the universe, while strange, was kind of interesting. Kaito looked kind of silly in his Orbital space suit. Considering how boring this rivalry is for me, I'm not particularly interested in the next match, but maybe it will surprise me. Although, I think that the novelty of showing images of characters in the ending theme after they die is worn out. It worked well when they used it for Astral and the Arclight brothers, but on the third use, it just feels weak and old. The fact that the episode rushed through some significant character deaths probably didn't help either. At least including multiple character deaths during the ending theme for the Arclight brothers made sense.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    He did start sending other Barians to confront Yuma and the others, but considering how well Girag and Alit's initial plans were, it didn't really put Durbe, and by extension the Barians in general, in the most competent light.
    For supposedly being the calmer and smarter Barian of the group, he ended up not thinking of any plans at all. Out of all the Barians he's the one that took the least amount of action by staying inside the Barian world. Gilag gave Yuma duels to go against, both Mizael and Alit confronted Yuma head on, with Misael even dueling Kaito and showing how much of a threat he can be, and Vector ended up working the hardest by being the closest to Yuma by manipulating him as Rei. Durbe ended up helping Yuma more in the temple than giving him any challenge to face instead.

Aside from that, I think he was there primarily to foreshadow Shark being Nasch due to that comment during their duel and helping to restore his memories of their past lives, so there was something to be gained story-wise from his presence, but I agree that he's really boring.
    The only times I didn't find Durbe boring was in the temple, we got some really good characterization and backstory with his past, and he did serve a reminder that not all barians were entirely evil enemies after what Vector did to Yuma. I think he showed a bit of personality with the group too.

As for this week's episode, I thought it was okay. I kind of felt bad for Merag dying, but the fact that the outcome was so obvious weakened the emotional impact. While her goodbye to Shark was sad too, using her as further motivation for Shark also weakened the emotional impact her death could have had. Instead of treating her like an individual character, she's depicted more as Shark's sister who fuels his motivation to take action, even though he doesn't really need more of that at this point. When she was still in a coma from the attack from IV, having her be Shark's motivation was fine, but now, it just reminds me of how poorly this franchise treats female characters. If they had spent a bit more time developing Rio dealing with realizing she is Merag or show more about how she didn't want to join the Barians and felt guilty for her actions, as crying after defeating Tetsuo hinted at a bit, I think that there would be more weight to her death since she would have felt a bit more like an individual.
    Yeah, the change of them being Barians was focused more on what Shark felt than Rio, even telling all the Barians that if he ever ended up betraying them, they were free to kill him. It's a shame that Rio didn't get much other than the tear and I think the one time she confronted Shark about the situation. She ended up being a good duelist at least, and during the duel she dueled well too, even getting praised by Durbe. I agree that it's bad when a character is only used up as motivational fuel for other characters, but I don't think it's too bad in Rio's case. During the duel having Shark imprisoned gave her motivational fuel, which I thought made her more of an individual character.

The legend behind the dragon creating the universe, while strange, was kind of interesting.
    The animation the gold dragon had was beautiful! I giffed it to see how it would look in black and white and it looked really cool!

For supposedly being the calmer and smarter Barian of the group, he ended up not thinking of any plans at all. Out of all the Barians he's the one that took the least amount of action by staying inside the Barian world. Gilag gave Yuma duels to go against, both Mizael and Alit confronted Yuma head on, with Misael even dueling Kaito and showing how much of a threat he can be, and Vector ended up working the hardest by being the closest to Yuma by manipulating him as Rei. Durbe ended up helping Yuma more in the temple than giving him any challenge to face instead.
    His plans were pretty much sending others down to Earth and to start giving out Barian Sphere Cubes after Gilag and Alit failed. While Gilag provided duels for Yuma by controlling other people, they weren't really good plans after he kept expecting different results by choosing random people at his school. Alit confronted Yuma head on, but his initial reason was for his crush on Kotori, which didn't make him look much more competent than Gilag. Misael and Vector were the only Barians that came out looking competent due to the former confronting Yuma immediately and the later manipulating Yuma. Durbe didn't really provide much of a challenge, aside from when he Misael and Vector were dueling them, but he was treated more like a ring leader in the shadows than anything else.

The only times I didn't find Durbe boring was in the temple, we got some really good characterization and backstory with his past, and he did serve a reminder that not all barians were entirely evil enemies after what Vector did to Yuma. I think he showed a bit of personality with the group too.
    That was one of the few times I didn't think Durbe was boring. The way they hinted at his past life was pretty subtle, the theory that it was his past life was interesting and it showed that the Barians weren't completely evil like Vector. He showed a bit of a personality there, but not much.

Yeah, the change of them being Barians was focused more on what Shark felt than Rio, even telling all the Barians that if he ever ended up betraying them, they were free to kill him. It's a shame that Rio didn't get much other than the tear and I think the one time she confronted Shark about the situation. She ended up being a good duelist at least, and during the duel she dueled well too, even getting praised by Durbe. I agree that it's bad when a character is only used up as motivational fuel for other characters, but I don't think it's too bad in Rio's case. During the duel having Shark imprisoned gave her motivational fuel, which I thought made her more of an individual character.
    As much as I enjoyed Shark's subplot in the last arc and I think that they handled his emotional conflict as he realized that he was a Barian really well, I really wish that they could have done something like that with Rio. Focusing on how she dealt with the knowledge of her past life after Shark had accepted it and showed that she didn't want to follow the same path that he did, despite what she said before, would have helped to make her a more interesting character. She was a good duelist and if it wasn't for Don Thousand reminding Vector of her combo, she would have won, so at least she didn't go down too easily. She didn't know about Nasch being imprisoned for awhile and it seemed more like stopping Vector out of revenge for killing her and Nasch was more fuel for her motivation. It still felt more to me that she was shown more as Nasch's sister and less than an individual character. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad of a case as Ruka from 5D's. At least Merag wasn't completely helpless, weak and always needed Nasch to hold her hand to do anything, but the way they handled her character in general was pretty lacking, especially when they established her as a strong character when she first appeared.

The animation the gold dragon had was beautiful! I giffed it to see how it would look in black and white and it looked really cool!
    It did look really nice. It looks good in black and white too.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Blog Entries

His plans were pretty much sending others down to Earth and to start giving out Barian Sphere Cubes after Gilag and Alit failed. While Gilag provided duels for Yuma by controlling other people, they weren't really good plans after he kept expecting different results by choosing random people at his school. Alit confronted Yuma head on, but his initial reason was for his crush on Kotori, which didn't make him look much more competent than Gilag. Misael and Vector were the only Barians that came out looking competent due to the former confronting Yuma immediately and the later manipulating Yuma. Durbe didn't really provide much of a challenge, aside from when he Misael and Vector were dueling them, but he was treated more like a ring leader in the shadows than anything else.
    At the very least they were plans, and Alit's duel helped set up their next one as a rival despite not being a really serious one. I agree with how Misael and Vector were the only really competent ones.

She didn't know about Nasch being imprisoned for awhile and it seemed more like stopping Vector out of revenge for killing her and Nasch was more fuel for her motivation. It still felt more to me that she was shown more as Nasch's sister and less than an individual character. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad of a case as Ruka from 5D's. At least Merag wasn't completely helpless, weak and always needed Nasch to hold her hand to do anything, but the way they handled her character in general was pretty lacking, especially when they established her as a strong character when she first appeared.
    Yeah, that's what it was, but once she knew what her attacks to Vector were doing to Nasch, we got to see a more vulnerable side she had, and it later served as motivational fuel for her. I also agree with how lacking it was and I can't see it change even after she inevitably comes back to life along with everyone else minus Vector.

I can see the Shark and Vector duel ending with Shark winning, Vector being consumed by Don Thousand and then duelling Shark and Yuma(maybe even Kaito but that depends on the effects the duel against Mizael has on him). If the duel ends with a tie I can see Vector being consumed anyway along with Shark, with Yuma and Astral needing to defeat Don Thousand together. Once they win I can see the inevitable Yuma Vs. Astral duel coming next with them saying their good byes and Zexal ending.

At the very least they were plans, and Alit's duel helped set up their next one as a rival despite not being a really serious one. I agree with how Misael and Vector were the only really competent ones.
    Aside from the first two duelists he used, they were pretty stupid plans. Thinking that random people from Yuma's school could defeat him and Shark was just ridiculous. Alit's duel did set up for Gilag to finally confront Yuma directly though.

Yeah, that's what it was, but once she knew what her attacks to Vector were doing to Nasch, we got to see a more vulnerable side she had, and it later served as motivational fuel for her. I also agree with how lacking it was and I can't see it change even after she inevitably comes back to life along with everyone else minus Vector.
    Her vulnerable side wasn't really focused on much after she recovered from the shock that she was hurting her brother through Vector. By the time she is revived, it will most likely be close to the end of the series, so the chance to develop her character is long gone. It isn't really too surprising since this franchise isn't known for handling its female characters particularly well, but it's still quite annoying.

I can see the Shark and Vector duel ending with Shark winning, Vector being consumed by Don Thousand and then duelling Shark and Yuma(maybe even Kaito but that depends on the effects the duel against Mizael has on him). If the duel ends with a tie I can see Vector being consumed anyway along with Shark, with Yuma and Astral needing to defeat Don Thousand together. Once they win I can see the inevitable Yuma Vs. Astral duel coming next with them saying their good byes and Zexal ending.
    I'm hoping that Nasch will win, but I can easily see Don Thousand consuming both of them, or at least Vector, regardless of the outcome. I have a feeling that he is planning on using their powers in order to be fully restored. Although, Yuma, Shark and Kaito dueling Don Thousand sounds possible too, but it depends on what happens in Nasch and Kaito's next duels. They might want to make it just Yuma and Astral facing him since it will most likely be the big final battle of the show. While I could see Yuma vs. Astral happening, especially with the ending theme, I'm not so sure that Astral will leave. I thought that they would have their own kind of Ceremonial Duel, but I'm leading towards Astral staying somehow. They've emphasized how much Yuma and Astral depend on each other, rather than making it clear that they will be separated one day like they did with Yugi and Atem starting in Battle City. Plus, given that we know Astral was created to face Don Thousand and eliminate the power of chaos, he might not have anything to attract him to the Astral World. Atem had a whole life with his own friends and family before he met Yugi and his friends, but Astral doesn't really have something like that connecting him back to the Astral World. It might not happen, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they figured out a way for Astral to stay with Yuma at the end of the series.

Blog Entries

Aside from the first two duelists he used, they were pretty stupid plans. Thinking that random people from Yuma's school could defeat him and Shark was just ridiculous. Alit's duel did set up for Gilag to finally confront Yuma directly though.
    I agree they weren't well thought out, Gilag just gave them that Barian Rank Up Xyz card thinking with the power alone and some skill it could maybe beat Yuma. They were close to beating them most of the time, though. Using the famous duelist that came to their school, while what it lead to was unintentional, it ended up making Vector be closer to Yuma by having a logical reason for Rei to know about his secret with Astral, and I guess the Biker gang leader was strong enough to justify manipulating him. The least random choice out of all the students is probably Ai(I think that's the name?) because her deck had effects that had an advantage over Rio's monsters. I'd prefer a character that at the very least plans something, and Gilag's plans made Yuma want more cards to counter them.

Her vulnerable side wasn't really focused on much after she recovered from the shock that she was hurting her brother through Vector.
    Yeah but they showed it, and it means a lot coming from somebody who would tease Shark wanting to be better than him. I think it was focused on enough at that moment, at least for me. They could have shown more of it earlier when they had the chance with her becoming a Barian, which would have lead to some good built up to her emotions later.

While I could see Yuma vs. Astral happening, especially with the ending theme, I'm not so sure that Astral will leave. I thought that they would have their own kind of Ceremonial Duel, but I'm leading towards Astral staying somehow. They've emphasized how much Yuma and Astral depend on each other, rather than making it clear that they will be separated one day like they did with Yugi and Atem starting in Battle City. Plus, given that we know Astral was created to face Don Thousand and eliminate the power of chaos, he might not have anything to attract him to the Astral World. Atem had a whole life with his own friends and family before he met Yugi and his friends, but Astral doesn't really have something like that connecting him back to the Astral World. It might not happen, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they figured out a way for Astral to stay with Yuma at the end of the series.
    I think Astral could end up being what Yuma was told he'd lose too. Astral was created to defeat Don Thousand, and I can see Astral even sacrificing himself to get Don Thousand defeated. With the route they've been going, a duel between the two in the end is just more likely, and for me it would be a way more satisfying way of ending Zexal.

Blog Entries

What I really dislike is that everyone is risking their lives trying to win and save their respective worlds but Tori has literally done nothing of use. I mean I know she can't stand toe to toe with anyone but her standing on the front lines where everyone is actually going out of their way to help and save the world they are fighting for while she just stands back and does nothing makes her look pretty bad worse then usual.

I also see Vector absorbing Mizar's power after the Galaxy-Eyes duel while Nasch defeats Vector then Nasch vs Yuma is basically Yuma having to fight against a Super Powered Nasch. Though I can see either a Super-powered Nasch or Don Thousand using all of the Over-Hundreds to make them seem godly in a way similar to Z-One.

Best Wishes to BW!

I agree they weren't well thought out, Gilag just gave them that Barian Rank Up Xyz card thinking with the power alone and some skill it could maybe beat Yuma. They were close to beating them most of the time, though. Using the famous duelist that came to their school, while what it lead to was unintentional, it ended up making Vector be closer to Yuma by having a logical reason for Rei to know about his secret with Astral, and I guess the Biker gang leader was strong enough to justify manipulating him. The least random choice out of all the students is probably Ai(I think that's the name?) because her deck had effects that had an advantage over Rio's monsters. I'd prefer a character that at the very least plans something, and Gilag's plans made Yuma want more cards to counter them.
    Using the pro duelist and the biker leader at least made sense given that they were considered strong in some fashion. Everyone else was just random choices that showed that Girag wasn't learning anything from his mistakes. That female student's deck did have an advantage over Rio's monsters, even though he planned on using Rio as bait to get to Shark instead and I doubt that Girag knew about her deck before giving her Rank Up Barian's Force. He just gave it to anyone who caught his attention. The last two of the characters of the day with Rank Up Barian's Force Yuma faced weren't really difficult to defeat. He didn't even need Hope Ray to beat them like he did in the first two attempts, so they weren't really effective in that regards either.

Yeah but they showed it, and it means a lot coming from somebody who would tease Shark wanting to be better than him. I think it was focused on enough at that moment, at least for me. They could have shown more of it earlier when they had the chance with her becoming a Barian, which would have lead to some good built up to her emotions later.
    It showed how much she cared about him, but we were already aware of that, even with how she would tease Shark at times. It wasn't really enough for me. It could have worked better had they used the time to focus on her dealing with realizing her past life and choosing to follow Shark, even if it meant doing something she truly didn't want to do.

I think Astral could end up being what Yuma was told he'd lose too. Astral was created to defeat Don Thousand, and I can see Astral even sacrificing himself to get Don Thousand defeated. With the route they've been going, a duel between the two in the end is just more likely, and for me it would be a way more satisfying way of ending Zexal.
    That is a possibility since Astral has become Yuma's closest friend and friendship is his most precious thing. The main reason why I'm not so sure about it is because Yuma already thought about that possibility back at the start of the second season. They'd probably want to make the price more of a surprise, although Astral sacrificing himself to defeat Don Thousand could happen too. I have a feeling that whatever he loses, Yuma can just use the Numeron Code to make everything go back to normal. I could see them having a duel after everything is all said and done, but I'm not so sure that Astral will leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 10
    What I really dislike is that everyone is risking their lives trying to win and save their respective worlds but Tori has literally done nothing of use. I mean I know she can't stand toe to toe with anyone but her standing on the front lines where everyone is actually going out of their way to help and save the world they are fighting for while she just stands back and does nothing makes her look pretty bad worse then usual.
    Yeah, I still don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea to bring Kotori along. There's nothing she can do to help aside from encouraging Yuma and Astral could do that while also advancing the plot. So far, Kotori has just been there, crying whenever anyone dies, which doesn't make her look any better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 10
    I also see Vector absorbing Mizar's power after the Galaxy-Eyes duel while Nasch defeats Vector then Nasch vs Yuma is basically Yuma having to fight against a Super Powered Nasch. Though I can see either a Super-powered Nasch or Don Thousand using all of the Over-Hundreds to make them seem godly in a way similar to Z-One.
    I'd be curious to see how Vector absorbs Misael's power after his duel with Kaito since it looked like he was heading for Nasch when he left. Nasch vs. Yuma sounds like a strong possibility, but if Vector loses, I think that Don Thousand would absorb him and Nasch. I can really see Don Thousand absorbing all of the Barian Emperors at this rate.

Blog Entries

New Arc-V trailer!

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Preview - YouTube

This confirms Yuya must use a magician deck.

Blog Entries

Did anyone else notice how Kite could have OTK Mizar if he used the effect of the Overlay Booster in his grave? Seriously this has happened at least 3 times already. First in his duel with Vetrix he could have won but then he pulls a dumb combo and gets curbstomped, then he could have beaten Mizar before the latter got a chance to rank up 107 back in the spear field by summoning Starliege Paladynamo but instead he goes over the top way and summons NGEPD and now here he could have used Overlay Boosters eff to bring 62's attack to 8800 which would have beaten Mizar.

Best Wishes to BW!

Blog Entries

I thought that the last match was pretty good. The first half wasn't quite good due to all of the ace spamming. I knew it was coming with this match given that they have no other reason to play monsters besides getting their ace Dragons out and then upgrading them, but it was still annoying. The duel writing was still pretty bad too considering that Kaito could have won earlier if he had used his Overlay Booster, but that is also to be expected at this point. The duels in Zexal are pretty lackluster for me as a whole and I still think that it's a problem with the duels in a Yu-Gi-Oh! series are one of its weaker points.

Blog Entries

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast