Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal - Page 22
Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

I find it kind of funny we're discussing 5d's in the Zexal thread. XD

Speaking of, as a whole, I've enjoyed the WDC more than the WRGP. I love both, but... The carnival is more exctiing to me, even though I despised the tomato episode and that soccer kid. Oh, also that architect kid.

The episode listing for Zexal II sounds like it might be a little slow at first, but they still sound enjoyable. Less than a week left for the premier~

I got a letter... The name on the envelope said... Mary... my wife's name.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

I think the WRGP dragged, even during the later parts. There were so many long duels, and I think I would've liked it more had Yusei, Jack, and Crow not all been on a team together, so we could've split the focus somewhat. Team Taiyo's episodes were well-handled, but with Team Unicorn and Team Ragnarok, it felt unnecessarily long to me.

Whereas with the World Duel Carnival, there were many different motivations at work; Yuma being...Yuma, Kaito entering at Heartland's orders, Shark going to avenge his sister, Tron wanting revenge on Faker... I liked that we got to see what drove the different competitors in the tournament. After the initial preliminary rounds, things were top-notch for me.

Yeah, I anticipate Zexal II to be very slow-moving at first, much like the beginning of Zexal was. And it'll take a hell of a lot for the Barian World people to measure up to Tron's role as an antagonist (for most of the WDC anyway) in fact, it will be impossible, LOL, but I still feel that the series will be enjoyable.

I definitely can't wait to see the new opening and ending. From the little clips of the opening that have been heard in trailers, the song itself sounds awesome.
    Last edited by FinalArcadia; 3rd October 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    I thought that the focus on them was extremely unnecessary. They didn't hit me as likeable and I couldn't care less for these one-shot characters. Their plot was extremely predictable, their personalities hit me as being bland and annoying and I couldn't feel any tension. I also find it hard to believe that they made it so far in the competition without summoning the god. Actually, even summoning it at that time was extremely stupid because their plan would have been revealed and made them lose in the next round.
    They were one of the few examples of one-shot characters that I could care about because of their fleshed out and likeable personalities. Though, I have a soft spot for underdog characters and seeing their backstories and motivation for being in the tournament made me like them even more. Considering what their strategy was, I didn't think it was too hard to believe how they had been able to make it so far in the competition, especially when their decks were drastically different from how the other decks. I don't know if summoning their god was stupid. It would have made their next duel more of a challenge since the next team could have planned a strategy in advance to prevent them from doing that, but looking at the previous duels in the tournament to make a strategy rarely happen anyway. I don't think Team 5D's did that besides preparing for their match against Team Catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by Human
    It didn't feel like it dragged on for me when the new strategies that were being set up to deflect and counter were great. I still found it to be underwhelming. How they lost was pretty stupid when they could have just won by ending their turn. They were interesting characters, but they didn't make much sense. I believe the reason why Jack decided to focus more on power like he did before was because he thought that with it he could destroy Andore with it. Unfortunately, he was deceived and ended up losing. If he wasn't, I'm sure that he would have focused less on power. Aki's development of becoming a D-Wheeler really interested me. How it affected the plot was great as well. If she didn't crash, then Crow wouldn't have felt more determined to avenge her. It affected Crow's characters and lead to some interesting interactions between them. Also, Aki could then get on the Ark Cradle with her D-Wheel. Yeah, it really was Yusei that beat them. The writers are immune from ever making his LP bar ever drop to 0 other than before the first episode.
    I don't remember thinking that how they lost was stupid, but I was more disappointed that they had to lose. To be fair, Team Unicorn could have won by ending their turn too. Jack only focused on power to defeat Andore wouldn't be too bad if he kept focusing on power when he was trying to get Scar-Nova Dragon. Aki becoming a D-Wheeler was huge wasted potential that felt rather pointless to me. Getting in that accident did lead to Crow avenging her, which was kind of nice, but she didn't win a duel in the tournament and the only major impact her becoming a D-Wheeler had was Crow getting to duel earlier than he probably would have if he had, which is pretty weak if that's the only major effect D-Wheeler Aki had. Plus, getting to Ark Cradle with her D-Wheel isn't much of an affect on the plot when she could have just rode on Yusei or Jack's D-Wheel. It could have been handled much better and Aki could have actually done something with becoming a D-Wheeler, but that was all pretty much tossed aside so Yusei could win and Aki could be a benchwarmer. Technically speaking, Yusei's lifepoints did drop to zero once, but that was in his flashback duel against Jack, so I'm not sure if that really counts here.

Yeah, it was sort of horrible. I still liked the duel though. My placing is:

1. Team Unicorn
    2. Team Ragnarock
    3. Team New World
    4. Team Taiyo
    5. Team Those Bad Guys With The Hook Monster That Hurt Aki and Crow

Yeah it did feel random. My main two problems with it was the annoying familiar and how Jack "suddenly" changed his way of fighting by using a monster to deflect 800 points of damage back to the familiar, when for him to have such a card in the first place he must have already have changed.
    I'd go with Team Taiyo, Team Ragnarok, Team New World, Team Catastrophe and Team Unicorn for my ranking of the duels in the tournament. Yeah, that was a problematic issue with Jack's deck and I didn't like how they made the Black-Winged Dragon part of the Crimson Dragon either, but it was still pretty fun and entertaining.

It's not that I couldn't believe that the Crimson Dragon had such powers, but how it came out of nowhere.
    It did come out of nowhere, but I could just go along with it.

He could have thought that after he beat Paradox. Yusei would be questioned to either pick his friends, or preventing the Momentum explosion from ever happening. That would have lead to something interesting and compelling for Yusei to think about. He would obviously pick his friends, of course. Still, seeing him think about it would have lead to great entertainment value.
    I still don't know if he would have thought of it after defeating Paradox since thinking about his friends helped him to win and he already knew that if Zero Reverse didn't happen, then he may not have met Jack, Crow, Aki and the twins, as well as all of his other friends from Satellite. It might have been an interesting moment to see him consider, but it wasn't necessary and I don't know if the Crimson Dragon would have gone along with that anyway.

Judai affected the plot, was shown to help Yusei by telling him of what happened to Pegasus and defeated Paradox, but was his character affected like Yugi and Yusei? No, it wasn't. Which is why it would have been a way better idea to show the Duel Academy be destroyed instead. Seeing the place being destroyed would have affected his character like how Yugi's was affected having his grandpa be dead and how Yusei had to save Neo Domino City for his friends.
    Seeing Duel Academy being destroyed might have been an interesting choice to make, but since he was traveling around after graduating, I'm not sure how that would have worked. It's not like he didn't have enough motivation to face Paradox like Yusei and Yugi did after facing against Paradox.

The story really was engaging. It just made me feel that there could have been more. The animation was fantastic and a nice sight to see. I was glad to see Star Dust Dragon's CGI animation on the show. Pokemon's tenth anniversary Darkrai movie was great and it entertained me more than BBT. It suffered from being too similar to the other movies, resulting in it not getting that much of a special feeling.
    If there was more time, I think that they could have done more with the characters and the duel. I was referring to the Mirage Pokemon special since that was promoted as the tenth anniversary special. The Darkrai movie was the tenth movie, but I don't think it was treated as an anniversary special like the Mirage special or the Bonds Beyond Time movie were. I liked the Darkrai movie, but I was more entertained with Bonds Beyond Time movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Kamishiro
    The episode listing for Zexal II sounds like it might be a little slow at first, but they still sound enjoyable. Less than a week left for the premier~
    The first couple of episodes sound like a decent/interesting start, but the episodes after that don't sound too appealing, especially the class rep episode. I'll still watch it, but none of the information for the episodes really blow me away. I'm still thinking of getting B2/W2 on that day more than the premiere for Zexal II.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalArcadia
    I think the WRGP dragged, even during the later parts. There were so many long duels, and I think I would've liked it more had Yusei, Jack, and Crow not all been on a team together, so we could've split the focus somewhat. Team Taiyo's episodes were well-handled, but with Team Unicorn and Team Ragnarok, it felt unnecessarily long to me.

Whereas with the World Duel Carnival, there were many different motivations at work; Yuma being...Yuma, Kaito entering at Heartland's orders, Shark going to avenge his sister, Tron wanting revenge on Faker... I liked that we got to see what drove the different competitors in the tournament. After the initial preliminary rounds, things were top-notch for me.
    I would have preferred it if most of the duels didn't result with Yusei winning the match for the team and there were more focus on the other characters. While I liked the duel against Team Ragnarok, it was pretty long. The WRPG definitely dragged on and most of the duels weren't that great, but I still think I prefer it over the WDC. Neither arcs are what I would consider good tournament arcs, but I could at least care about most of the characters in Team 5D's while the only character I could feel invested in during the WDC was Shark. I think I like Tron more than Team New World, at least before they became Aporia, since Tron actually did something to progress his goal and he was more entertaining, but the fact that the bulk of the tournament focused on Yuma, who I don't care at all for to begin with, and there's only a couple, at the most, of his duels that I did like, I'm going to go with the WRGP. However, both would be some of my least favorite tournament arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalArcadia
    Yeah, I anticipate Zexal II to be very slow-moving at first, much like the beginning of Zexal was. And it'll take a hell of a lot for the Barian World people to measure up to Tron's role as an antagonist (for most of the WDC anyway) in fact, it will be impossible, LOL, but I still feel that the series will be enjoyable.

I definitely can't wait to see the new opening and ending. From the little clips of the opening that have been heard in trailers, the song itself sounds awesome.
    I'm hoping that it won't be slow-moving like the first season was. That slow pace was pretty bad for me, but at least there aren't a lot of two-part matches thus far. Tron has been one of the more entertaining villains for me as well, so I'm curious to see how the Barian World villains turn out. The bits of the opening from the trailer sounds pretty good, but seeing the whole opening would give me a better idea for the song.
    Last edited by Hidden Mew; 4th October 2012 at 04:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    They were one of the few examples of one-shot characters that I could care about because of their fleshed out and likeable personalities.
    They are some of the worst one-shot characters in 5D's in my opinion. They had too much focus for being one-shot characters and they all shared a very similar personality and backstory. That's... dull.

Though, I have a soft spot for underdog characters and seeing their backstories and motivation for being in the tournament made me like them even more.
    I have a soft spot for underdog characters too, except... they weren't treated as being underdog characters. In their duel against Team 5D's, they always had a strategy, a trick, a counter, a combination, a way to take the upperhand and defeat their opponent. So... how are they underdog characters again? Because they only had one motorcycle? That doesn't scream "underdog" to me. Their backstory(not backstories, since they pretty much had the same exact one) and motivation for being in the tournament failed to compel me or make me care for them in any way. Mostly because Taro's dad already let his son be free. The plot already got closure before it even started. "Head for new possibilities!", you've already done that by going to Neo Domino City and getting so far in the competition. Taro already made his father proud, so why should I could care about a plot that already got closure?

Considering what their strategy was, I didn't think it was too hard to believe how they had been able to make it so far in the competition, especially when their decks were drastically different from how the other decks.
    So it does mean that they're not the underdog characters you say they are :P.

I don't know if summoning their god was stupid. It would have made their next duel more of a challenge since the next team could have planned a strategy in advance to prevent them from doing that, but looking at the previous duels in the tournament to make a strategy rarely happen anyway. I don't think Team 5D's did that besides preparing for their match against Team Catastrophe.
    Yeah, that bothered me how nobody seemed to care about the other Team's duels in the WRGP.

I don't remember thinking that how they lost was stupid, but I was more disappointed that they had to lose. To be fair, Team Unicorn could have won by ending their turn too.
    What? Uhh, I'm sure I was referring to Team Unicorn ending their turn. It was stupid. Jean could have won the duel by ending his turn, but instead, for some reason, decided to attack one of Yusei's monsters and lost. Like, seriously? What was up with that?

Aki becoming a D-Wheeler was huge wasted potential that felt rather pointless to me. Getting in that accident did lead to Crow avenging her, which was kind of nice, but she didn't win a duel in the tournament and the only major impact her becoming a D-Wheeler had was Crow getting to duel earlier than he probably would have if he had, which is pretty weak if that's the only major effect D-Wheeler Aki had. Plus, getting to Ark Cradle with her D-Wheel isn't much of an affect on the plot when she could have just rode on Yusei or Jack's D-Wheel. It could have been handled much better and Aki could have actually done something with becoming a D-Wheeler, but that was all pretty much tossed aside so Yusei could win and Aki could be a benchwarmer. Technically speaking, Yusei's lifepoints did drop to zero once, but that was in his flashback duel against Jack, so I'm not sure if that really counts here.
    Even though I do think that it led to lots of great entertainment, I have to agree on how it was pointless plotwise. Seeing Aki becoming a D-Wheeler was interesting, fun, compelling and entertaining. How she beat the boys in the exam while they failed showed lots of compelling independence in her. Would have been cool if she had a duel against Sherry in her motorcycle.

It did come out of nowhere, but I could just go along with it.
    I ended up going with it anyway.

I still don't know if he would have thought of it after defeating Paradox since thinking about his friends helped him to win and he already knew that if Zero Reverse didn't happen, then he may not have met Jack, Crow, Aki and the twins, as well as all of his other friends from Satellite. It might have been an interesting moment to see him consider, but it wasn't necessary and I don't know if the Crimson Dragon would have gone along with that anyway.
    I could see the Crimson Dragon going along with it since he's pretty much Team 5D's servant. The best that could have come out of it was him talking to his parents in the past. Although, he can already talk to his father.

Seeing Duel Academy being destroyed might have been an interesting choice to make, but since he was traveling around after graduating, I'm not sure how that would have worked. It's not like he didn't have enough motivation to face Paradox like Yusei and Yugi did after facing against Paradox.
    It could have been a time before he graduated or something. Judai didn't get as much attention as Yugi did and his motivation didn't have anything unique.

If there was more time, I think that they could have done more with the characters and the duel. I was referring to the Mirage Pokemon special since that was promoted as the tenth anniversary special. The Darkrai movie was the tenth movie, but I don't think it was treated as an anniversary special like the Mirage special or the Bonds Beyond Time movie were. I liked the Darkrai movie, but I was more entertained with Bonds Beyond Time movie.
    Ahh, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

--------

So I'm finally done with my rewatch of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's...

Last edited by HumanDawn; 5th October 2012 at 01:59 PM.

They are some of the worst one-shot characters in 5D's in my opinion. They had too much focus for being one-shot characters and they all shared a very similar personality and backstory. That's... dull.
    I thought that they had different personalities and while they shared the same basic backstory, they were fleshed out quite nicely. I've seen far worst one-shot characters in 5D's, ones that are far less interesting, but it comes down to different tastes I guess.

I have a soft spot for underdog characters too, except... they weren't treated as being underdog characters. In their duel against Team 5D's, they always had a strategy, a trick, a counter, a combination, a way to take the upperhand and defeat their opponent. So... how are they underdog characters again? Because they only had one motorcycle? That doesn't scream "underdog" to me. Their backstory(not backstories, since they pretty much had the same exact one) and motivation for being in the tournament failed to compel me or make me care for them in any way. Mostly because Taro's dad already let his son be free. The plot already got closure before it even started. "Head for new possibilities!", you've already done that by going to Neo Domino City and getting so far in the competition. Taro already made his father proud, so why should I could care about a plot that already got closure?
    They were the underdog because they had to struggle to just put a deck together and get one D-Wheel working to be in the tournament in the first place. They had a strategy from the start, but it wasn't easy for them to pull it off. I don't know if the plot really had closure before it started. They wanted to prove themselves and winning the tournament would have given them even more possibilities for their future than just getting to Neo Domino City or getting this far in the competition. Plus, despite getting so far in the tournament, they didn't really get any praise from the crowds until they summoned their god card. I thought that they were easily the best part of the WRGP. They were engaging and likable characters.

So it does mean that they're not the underdog characters you say they are :P.
    No, I think that you're misunderstanding what I'm saying here. Their strategy and deck were drastically different from what other teams had, but it certainly didn't give them easy victories or gave them an easier time against these other teams who had Synchro monsters. One huge attack on their D-Wheel would have led to their defeat and if they didn't draw a Speed Spell when they needed to activate Speed World 2's effects, they would have been in an event tighter spot. They still struggled in their match against Team 5D's. Just because they had a drastically different deck, strategy and got fairly far into the tournament doesn't mean that they aren't underdogs.

Yeah, that bothered me how nobody seemed to care about the other Team's duels in the WRGP.
    It seemed more of a weird choice to me when it could have showed Team 5D's working as a team to make a strategy.

What? Uhh, I'm sure I was referring to Team Unicorn ending their turn. It was stupid. Jean could have won the duel by ending his turn, but instead, for some reason, decided to attack one of Yusei's monsters and lost. Like, seriously? What was up with that?
    Oh, I thought that you were referring to how Team Taiyo lost. My mistake. Sorry about that. I agree that how Team Unicorn lost was pretty weak and kind of ridiculous. It also made the whole match feel so unsatisfying when Yusei won the final duel in such a cheap way.

Even though I do think that it led to lots of great entertainment, I have to agree on how it was pointless plotwise. Seeing Aki becoming a D-Wheeler was interesting, fun, compelling and entertaining. How she beat the boys in the exam while they failed showed lots of compelling independence in her. Would have been cool if she had a duel against Sherry in her motorcycle.
    I'm not sure if it was really that entertaining for me, especially when it I didn't really get a sense of independence from her, but the episode where she got her D-Wheeler license was pretty good all things considered. It really should have gone somewhere storywise and in regards to her character development. At most, it just led to her losing her powers and then getting healing powers later on in the series, which always seemed kind of weak to me. A Riding Duel between Aki and Sherry could have been at least entertaining. They did have a Riding Duel in the 5D's manga though.

I could see the Crimson Dragon going along with it since he's pretty much Team 5D's servant. The best that could have come out of it was him talking to his parents in the past. Although, he can already talk to his father.
    I'm not sure if I'd consider the Crimson Dragon a servant to Team 5D's. I got the impression that it was more like it gave them its powers when it was necessary and/or when they showed the determination to keep fighting like in the Dark Signer arc. Yusei talking to his parents in the past could have been interesting, but since he can already talk to his father when he appears and mothers have little to no importance in this franchise, I don't think it was really necessary in the long run.

It could have been a time before he graduated or something. Judai didn't get as much attention as Yugi did and his motivation didn't have anything unique.
    I'm not sure if they would have gone for pre-season four Judai or during season four since there wasn't much time during the series where I think that they could have fit Paradox attacking Duel Academia. At least they have that time between Battle City and the Memory World arc to take advantage of, although it's probably not as long as the writers would like it to be. Judai not getting as much attention as Yugi isn't too surprising when he's the first protagonist and I was okay with his motivation.

Ahh, okay. Thanks for clarifying.
    You're welcome.

So I'm finally done with my rewatch of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's...

Last edited by Hidden Mew; 5th October 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Blog Entries

I thought that they had different personalities and while they shared the same basic backstory, they were fleshed out quite nicely. I've seen far worst one-shot characters in 5D's, ones that are far less interesting, but it comes down to different tastes I guess.
    They do have different personalities. I just think that they're too similar. Yeah, I've seen worse one-shot characters in 5D's.

They were the underdog because they had to struggle to just put a deck together and get one D-Wheel working to be in the tournament in the first place.
    ...Everybody has a hard time to put a deck together with the cards they need to pull of strategies, give it balance, and enough power to win in duels. Get a D-Wheel working? Yeah, they got a broken one to repair, failed to repair it, and then got a fully functional D-Wheeler literally handed to them on a silver platter by Taro's father. What I think should have happened is that Taro's father should have been unhappy with his son and brought his moral down. If that was the drama factor put in place, seeing Taro succeeding, proving his father wrong, fixing the broken motorcycle would have actually been compelling, entertaining, endearing, fun and relateable(At least for me anyway...). Instead Taro's father was already happy with him, and Team Taiyo's motivation ended up being the same as nearly everyone else competing; fame.

They had a strategy from the start, but it wasn't easy for them to pull it off.
    It took a long time, sure, but they always had a counter, a back up card(they used another Hand-Holding Genie when their first one got destroyed) and something else up their sleeve to prolong their strategy. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't that hard either.

I don't know if the plot really had closure before it started. They wanted to prove themselves and winning the tournament would have given them even more possibilities for their future than just getting to Neo Domino City or getting this far in the competition.
    You've just pretty much summed up nearly every other competitor who was competing in the WRGP. If Taro's father still disapproved of him and told him to not ever see his face again, then the motivation would have been unique and endearing to see Team Taiyo succeeding. Something else that would have been great as well would have been if Team Taiyo didn't let Yusei and Bruno fix their D-Wheel. I felt that they were being spoonfed, harming their initial goal to be thought of as competent people in the first place. Basically, Jinbei was right about not letting them fix their D-Wheel. If they didn't let them, the writers would have made Team Taiyo actually look like underdogs and actually be compelling and likeable characters that stood up for themselves together as friends. That was just another opportunity flushed down the toilet, just like with Taro's father.

Plus, despite getting so far in the tournament, they didn't really get any praise from the crowds until they summoned their god card. I thought that they were easily the best part of the WRGP. They were engaging and likable characters.
    We don't know if they were praised or not for winning in the previous 2 rounds.

No, I think that you're misunderstanding what I'm saying here. Their strategy and deck were drastically different from what other teams had, but it certainly didn't give them easy victories or gave them an easier time against these other teams who had Synchro monsters.
    Team 5D's didn't have an easy time either with all the other teams they faced in the WRGP. Does that make them underdog characters? No, it doesn't, because they always found a way to pull something off to save themselves, an idea, a counter, a strategy and a back up... like Team Taiyo did in their match against them.

One huge attack on their D-Wheel would have led to their defeat and if they didn't draw a Speed Spell when they needed to activate Speed World 2's effects, they would have been in an event tighter spot. They still struggled in their match against Team 5D's.
    Like all the other teams then. One huge attack = defeat = the same everyone else, not drawing a Speed Spell to win = defeat = the same as everyone else who would use that strategy, struggling in their match = possible defeat = the same as everyone else. With that logic, then everybody competing in the WRGP are underdog characters.

Just because they had a drastically different deck, strategy and got fairly far into the tournament doesn't mean that they aren't underdogs.
    It doesn't mean that they are underdogs either. Getting far in the tournament is already saying something. We don't know how hard their competition was, but how they were acting made them seem surprised that they actually got so far in the competition.

I'm not sure if it was really that entertaining for me, especially when it I didn't really get a sense of independence from her, but the episode where she got her D-Wheeler license was pretty good all things considered. It really should have gone somewhere storywise and in regards to her character development. At most, it just led to her losing her powers and then getting healing powers later on in the series, which always seemed kind of weak to me. A Riding Duel between Aki and Sherry could have been at least entertaining. They did have a Riding Duel in the 5D's manga though.
    Well I did from her. She was being bullied by her classmates, being told that she would fail just because of her gender and that she may as well not even try to become a D-Wheeler. Seeing her succeed after being trash talked so much by her classmates was compelling and endearing. It really enforced the idea that the show was against sexism. She got healing powers? I'm pretty sure that her powers were the same psychic ones that she used for good when the building was falling on her, Crow and Sherry. Thanks for letting me know that they duelled in the manga. I know nothing about the manga, so having somebody who is knowledgeable about it to talk to about here is great.

I'm not sure if I'd consider the Crimson Dragon a servant to Team 5D's. I got the impression that it was more like it gave them its powers when it was necessary and/or when they showed the determination to keep fighting like in the Dark Signer arc.
    I would have liked if the Crimson Dragon was able to talk to them telepathically, at least.

talking to his parents in the past could have been interesting, but since he can already talk to his father when he appears and mothers have little to no importance in this franchise, I don't think it was really necessary in the long run.
    He could never spend time with his father or mother. Whenever his father came, it was really brief. It still would have been nice if Yusei thought of spending time with them, but disagreed and said that how things were already were good enough.

Judai not getting as much attention as Yugi isn't too surprising when he's the first protagonist and I was okay with his motivation.
    I thought that it wasn't too surprising either. Still, that's no excuse for feeling out of place.

The main reason why I wanted to watch all of 5D's again was because of the Fortune Cup and Dark Singers arc. Watching the next arcs didn't engage me as much and only made me dislike Yusei further. I tried to make sure to watch all of 5D's again before Junior College here in Malta started 2 day ago, but failed. Now I'm planning on watching GX and DM again. Which one do you suggest I start watching again?

They do have different personalities. I just think that they're too similar. Yeah, I've seen worse one-shot characters in 5D's.
    They felt different enough for me.

...Everybody has a hard time to put a deck together with the cards they need to pull of strategies, give it balance, and enough power to win in duels. Get a D-Wheel working? Yeah, they got a broken one to repair, failed to repair it, and then got a fully functional D-Wheeler literally handed to them on a silver platter by Taro's father. What I think should have happened is that Taro's father should have been unhappy with his son and brought his moral down. If that was the drama factor put in place, seeing Taro succeeding, proving his father wrong, fixing the broken motorcycle would have actually been compelling, entertaining, endearing, fun and relateable(At least for me anyway...). Instead Taro's father was already happy with him, and Team Taiyo's motivation ended up being the same as nearly everyone else competing; fame.
    Unlike with the other teams, they could barely get enough cards to make one deck and while Taro's father gave them a functional D-Wheel, it wasn't easy for them to keep it in good condition. If Yusei hadn't helped them out, they most likely wouldn't have been able to duel against Team 5D's. Every other team had at least three D-Wheels for each member. They only had one. I don't know if Taro's father being happy with his decision to be in the WRGP really ruined the plot for me. It was still engaging. While they did want fame, Team Taiyo wasn't full of established duelists like nearly every other team in the WRGP, except for maybe Team Catastrophe. This tournament was their only shot at becoming famous duelists and gaining more possibilities for their futures.

It took a long time, sure, but they always had a counter, a back up card(they used another Hand-Holding Genie when their first one got destroyed) and something else up their sleeve to prolong their strategy. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't that hard either.
    It wasn't extremely hard, but I don't think it changes how they were underdogs. They struggled in their match, even with all of their moves to prolong their strategy, and they couldn't summon their God card until they faced off against Team 5D's.

You've just pretty much summed up nearly every other competitor who was competing in the WRGP. If Taro's father still disapproved of him and told him to not ever see his face again, then the motivation would have been unique and endearing to see Team Taiyo succeeding. Something else that would have been great as well would have been if Team Taiyo didn't let Yusei and Bruno fix their D-Wheel. I felt that they were being spoonfed, harming their initial goal to be thought of as competent people in the first place. Basically, Jinbei was right about not letting them fix their D-Wheel. If they didn't let them, the writers would have made Team Taiyo actually look like underdogs and actually be compelling and likeable characters that stood up for themselves together as friends. That was just another opportunity flushed down the toilet, just like with Taro's father.
    Like I said earlier, the main difference from Team Taiyo wanting fame and more possibilities for their future and other teams wanting the same thing is that they weren't already famous duelists. They didn't have a lot of options in their hometown to begin with. Most every other team was full of famous duelists, so even without entering the tournament, they had more options to choose from to decide their futures than the members of Team Taiyo had. Taro's father being more disapproving of their decision could have made them more unique, but I don't think it was really that necessary to make them more interesting and engaging characters. If Yusei didn't fix their D-Wheel, they wouldn't have been able to compete and they still came off as underdogs even with Yusei's help.

We don't know if they were praised or not for winning in the previous 2 rounds.
    Considering that the audience were annoyed at Team Taiyo's strategy until they summoned their God card, I don't think that they were praised for winning their other matches.

Team 5D's didn't have an easy time either with all the other teams they faced in the WRGP. Does that make them underdog characters? No, it doesn't, because they always found a way to pull something off to save themselves, an idea, a counter, a strategy and a back up... like Team Taiyo did in their match against them.
    Unlike with Team Taiyo, Team 5D's had three D-Wheels and three decks. Yeah, they struggled against other opponents, but Team 5D's weren't facing against opponents with a deck without Synchro monsters, which would probably be unheard of in 5D's, and each member had a significant amount of experience of at least being in regular duels. Team Taiyo didn't have that and weren't that well experienced with Riding Duels at all.

Like all the other teams then. One huge attack = defeat = the same everyone else, not drawing a Speed Spell to win = defeat = the same as everyone else who would use that strategy, struggling in their match = possible defeat = the same as everyone else. With that logic, then everybody competing in the WRGP are underdog characters.
    Except, unlike with the other teams, Team Taiyo only had one D-Wheel. If an attack damaged their D-Wheel, even if they had more lifepoints or had other members to duel, they wouldn't be able to continue. Everyone else had their own D-Wheel and in cases like Team Unicorn, had more D-Wheels to use, so even if one was broken, they could continue the match with another member. Team Taiyo didn't have that luxury. While not drawing a Speed Spell to win would lead to a defeat for another team, I think that their strategy relied on it much more than other strategies that involve Speed Spells. The fact that Team Taiyo only had one D-Wheel alone should make it clear that they were the underdog team.

It doesn't mean that they are underdogs either. Getting far in the tournament is already saying something. We don't know how hard their competition was, but how they were acting made them seem surprised that they actually got so far in the competition.
    One can get far in a tournament and still be considered an underdog, especially when they were in a more disadvantage position with only having one D-Wheel. Considering that the tournament was full of famous duelists/dueling teams and they had little to no experience, it's no wonder that Team Taiyo was surprised that they got that far in the competition.

Well I did from her. She was being bullied by her classmates, being told that she would fail just because of her gender and that she may as well not even try to become a D-Wheeler. Seeing her succeed after being trash talked so much by her classmates was compelling and endearing. It really enforced the idea that the show was against sexism. She got healing powers? I'm pretty sure that her powers were the same psychic ones that she used for good when the building was falling on her, Crow and Sherry. Thanks for letting me know that they duelled in the manga. I know nothing about the manga, so having somebody who is knowledgeable about it to talk to about here is great.
    I didn't really get much of an independent vibe from her even with standing up to those bullies, but it probably doesn't help that nothing really came out of Aki becoming a D-Wheeler. Considering that most of the female characters ended up being on the sidelines after the Dark Signer arc pretty much ended up on the sidelines while the male characters got the most focus/importance to the plot, I'm not sure if I'd consider the show against sexism. I thought that Aki developed healing powers some time after losing them, but I could be mistaken. It's been awhile since I've seen the later portions of the series. You're welcome about letting you know that they dueled in the manga. There's only three volumes out so far, but it seems to be a pretty good read thus far.

I would have liked if the Crimson Dragon was able to talk to them telepathically, at least.
    That would have been kind of cool.

He could never spend time with his father or mother. Whenever his father came, it was really brief. It still would have been nice if Yusei thought of spending time with them, but disagreed and said that how things were already were good enough.
    While that does sound nice and all, I don't know if it would be really necessary when Yusei already realized how important his friends were and knew that if Zero Reverse didn't happen, he wouldn't have met them.

I thought that it wasn't too surprising either. Still, that's no excuse for feeling out of place.
    I don't know if Judai felt out of place for me, but maybe it would help if I watched the movie again.

The main reason why I wanted to watch all of 5D's again was because of the Fortune Cup and Dark Singers arc. Watching the next arcs didn't engage me as much and only made me dislike Yusei further. I tried to make sure to watch all of 5D's again before Junior College here in Malta started 2 day ago, but failed. Now I'm planning on watching GX and DM again. Which one do you suggest I start watching again?
    The Fortune Cup and Dark Signer arcs were my favorite parts of the series as well. While I still enjoyed the later arcs, they weren't as engaging as the first two for me as well. Although I didn't come to dislike Yusei, I can understand why people would dislike him, especially in the later arcs. I really enjoy both DM and GX, so I think rewatching either one would be a good choice. I do think that DM is the better series out of the two in terms of overall quality since the characterization is better and there's a stronger focus on the storyline, although being an adaptation of a manga while GX was an original series probably helped in that regard. GX is really fun to watch, in spite of its problems, because of the likable characters and relatively decent to good duels throughout the series. The main advantage GX has over DM for a rewatch is that GX has a smaller episode count, so that might make it easier to go through in a short amount of time if you want to speed through the series, but starting off with either series to rewatch first sounds good to me.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

In Zexal II, I want Tori to do the same thing Mayl Sakurai (Megaman Battle Network) did to impress their crush.
    That right ,I want Tori to Secretly enter a Dueling Tournament and Duel against Yuma.
    Her Purpose should impressing Yuma and proving that she good enough to protect Yuma.
    There She should become the best female Duelist Yuma ever battle.
    I mean , lot of people complain about Tori's inability to Duel while her Love rival (Cathy & Anna) good at it.
    So This might shut them down.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

I just thought I'd mention that the new opening and ending theme for ZEXAL II... both were great. The songs themselves were fantastic, and the accompanying animation was very entertaining.

Painting the night sky... Neon Borealis's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Neon Borealis on Tumblr

I will never be able to get out of my head both thenes.

And as for the ending... I guess the Zexalia gals are pleased with the chibis. (Except, no tron or III chibis... sadface).

Winner of: Professor Layton Mafia, Warrior Cats Mafia, Kid Icarus Mafia, Star Wars Mafia,Legendary pokémon mafia, Make a Mafia, Smash Bros Mafia, Phoenix wright: Justice for all mafia and Eeveelution mafia
    Other games won: Vigilantes, Trauma Center: Virus attack

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post
    In Zexal II, I want Tori to do the same thing Mayl Sakurai (Megaman Battle Network) did to impress their crush.
    That right ,I want Tori to Secretly enter a Dueling Tournament and Duel against Yuma.
    Her Purpose should impressing Yuma and proving that she good enough to protect Yuma.
    There She should become the best female Duelist Yuma ever battle.
    I mean , lot of people complain about Tori's inability to Duel while her Love rival (Cathy & Anna) good at it.
    So This might shut them down.
    I don't dislike Kotori because she doesn't duel. I dislike her because she's an underdeveloped, boring character who is treated like she's way more important in the series than she actually is. Dueling against Yuma wouldn't really solve that, even if she was better at it than Cathy and Anna, which really wouldn't be saying much since neither of them are what I'd consider good duelists to begin with. Cathy lost to Yuma when he wasn't even using Number cards or Astral's advice and then to Dog-chan. Anna would probably be better than Cathy, but I still don't think that says much, especially when she was basically used as a shield to protect Yuma in her last appearance. Honestly, if Kotori was trying to do something like that to impress Yuma, I'd still find her rather boring since her whole world would still be revolving around Yuma and there wouldn't be much, if any, focus on her as an individual. Plus, I would also find it extremely annoying for a female character in this series to duel for love. It just seems so weak to make that the motivation for all of the female duelists thus far and I would like to see the writers give them some other kind of motivation in the attempt to make them more interesting and less flat characters.

Anyway, I did like the opening theme. It had a catchy beat that does get stuck in your head, the animation was good and almost got me pumped up for the episode, although not nearly as much as the second opening theme for the series did. I didn't care for the ending theme at all. The chibis were more distracting/weird than cute, I could have done without most of the female characters going on a shopping spree, happy Haruto still feels way too strange to me and the song itself didn't really hold my attention. It kind of picked up near the end, but then fell flat for me.

As for the episode itself:

Last edited by Hidden Mew; 8th October 2012 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Borealis View Post

And as for the ending... I guess the Zexalia gals are pleased with the chibis. (Except, no tron or III chibis... sadface).
    Oh, I loved the chibis! SO CUUUTE~ <3

As for new people in the series, I have high hopes for the Barian people. They seem interesting, almost like Yliaster to me. And I loved Yliaster.

I also cannot wait to see this guy from the opening, he looks like he might be a Barian-type person~

X3

Blog Entries

Unlike with the other teams, they could barely get enough cards to make one deck and while Taro's father gave them a functional D-Wheel, it wasn't easy for them to keep it in good condition. If Yusei hadn't helped them out, they most likely wouldn't have been able to duel against Team 5D's. Every other team had at least three D-Wheels for each member. They only had one. I don't know if Taro's father being happy with his decision to be in the WRGP really ruined the plot for me. It was still engaging. While they did want fame, Team Taiyo wasn't full of established duelists like nearly every other team in the WRGP, except for maybe Team Catastrophe. This tournament was their only shot at becoming famous duelists and gaining more possibilities for their futures.
    Having only one D-Wheel is nothing more than a trait of being an underdog character. The reason why their undedog traits didn't make them to appear to be fully-fledged underdogs to me is because they had other traits that prevented them to be considered to be underdog characters, like being exceptionally good duellists that would counter the attacks their opponent makes, having the people from the village support them and being smart people that know how to evade rough moments like a gang going after them with their motorbikes. Those give traits that balance them from being underdog characters. I never understood how hard it could be to get some cards in the Yu-Gi-Oh! universe. I'm assuming that like with the game shop Yugi's grandpa had, they must be able to buy a few packets of cards from somewhere. It should be easier since Duel Monsters is the most popular game in their universe. As I've said already, Yusei helping them out hurt the credibility of their goal, leading to make me care less for them. There were just so many opportunities to actually make them more compelling characters, that seeing the writers miss them is jarring. Team 5D's Crow wasn't an established duellist like Jack and Yusei as can be seen from the lack of fans he had compared to his team mates. Crow's case was actually more compelling and entertaining against Team Ragnarok because his only supporters were his team, friends and the 5 children he took care of, who risked their lives to support him, to show him that he wasn't alone, that he would do great despite being put in a corner. Of course, that doesn't make Crow an underdog character. It was just a trait backed up with other traits that prevented him from being considered to be one. I can not say the same thing for Team Taiyou, who had a perfect plan and the many people from the village support them as well. If somebody saw Crow's duel against Team Ragnarok, and then saw Team Taiyou's, I'm sure that Crow would look like a bigger underdog character than Team Taiyou will ever be considered to be from the traits.

It wasn't extremely hard, but I don't think it changes how they were underdogs. They struggled in their match, even with all of their moves to prolong their strategy, and they couldn't summon their God card until they faced off against Team 5D's.
    It's a trait that prevented them from being considered to be underdogs. They did struggle, but whatever "problem" Team 5D's threw at them they always had a backup, a counter, a combo, and some plan. They were portrayed to be a force to be reckoned with. Yusei himself was afraid of what other genius plan they had in their minds to stomp Team 5D's with. How can I think that they're underdog characters when the near-flawless Yusei himself was shown to be afraid of them?

Like I said earlier, the main difference from Team Taiyo wanting fame and more possibilities for their future and other teams wanting the same thing is that they weren't already famous duelists. They didn't have a lot of options in their hometown to begin with. Most every other team was full of famous duelists, so even without entering the tournament, they had more options to choose from to decide their futures than the members of Team Taiyo had. Taro's father being more disapproving of their decision could have made them more unique, but I don't think it was really that necessary to make them more interesting and engaging characters. If Yusei didn't fix their D-Wheel, they wouldn't have been able to compete and they still came off as underdogs even with Yusei's help.
    We don't really know how famous the other duellists were, or how many sponsors they had to help them. I agree that it's a trait, but not one that makes them underdogs. It's small if anything. They also already beat 2 teams prior, who if they were famous as you say, who had their sponsors to help them, would give another trait to Team Taiyou that prevents them from being considered to be underdogs. Again, Crow wasn't a famous duellist either. If you're going to count when he defeated Goodwin, the citizens forgot that it ever happened.

Considering that the audience were annoyed at Team Taiyo's strategy until they summoned their God card, I don't think that they were praised for winning their other matches.
    I don't think that can be used as a consideration. We don't know if they used the same one of defending one's self in the previous matches either.

Unlike with Team Taiyo, Team 5D's had three D-Wheels and three decks. Yeah, they struggled against other opponents, but Team 5D's weren't facing against opponents with a deck without Synchro monsters, which would probably be unheard of in 5D's, and each member had a significant amount of experience of at least being in regular duels. Team Taiyo didn't have that and weren't that well experienced with Riding Duels at all.
    You're again telling me traits of underdogs, but not ones that make them fully-fledged ones. And having weak monsters means nothing in this show. All of the sagas have made it clear to the audience that every card, no matter how useless it may seem to the eye due to the little it can do, means nothing since anything is possible. They actually made good use of the Normal Cards instead, making Team 5D's amazed at their strategy and how strong they were, which again gives Team Taiyou traits that prevented them from being considered to be underdog characters. I recall Yusei saying that the reason why he Accel Synchro summoned was because of Team Taiyou showing their incredible duelling skills and power. Honestly, how are they underdog characters again? It's because they aren't.

Except, unlike with the other teams, Team Taiyo only had one D-Wheel. If an attack damaged their D-Wheel, even if they had more lifepoints or had other members to duel, they wouldn't be able to continue. Everyone else had their own D-Wheel and in cases like Team Unicorn, had more D-Wheels to use, so even if one was broken, they could continue the match with another member. Team Taiyo didn't have that luxury. While not drawing a Speed Spell to win would lead to a defeat for another team, I think that their strategy relied on it much more than other strategies that involve Speed Spells. The fact that Team Taiyo only had one D-Wheel alone should make it clear that they were the underdog team.
    Underdog trait. Not one that makes them fully-fledged ones. And having only one D-Wheel was never made out to be such a big deal. Speaking of D-Wheels getting crashed, that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in the Yu-Gi-Oh!. Why not disable the damage that people get from duelling for their sake? It just makes the tournament look harsh and uncouth. Jack crashing against Team Unicorn's Andore should have never happened. I'm pretty sure that if I were handling the tournament, I wouldn't risk people's lives like that. What ever happened to the concern of the motorcyclists? It's similar to Dr. Faker's evil and sadistic methods.

One can get far in a tournament and still be considered an underdog, especially when they were in a more disadvantage position with only having one D-Wheel. Considering that the tournament was full of famous duelists/dueling teams and they had little to no experience, it's no wonder that Team Taiyo was surprised that they got that far in the competition.
    Yeah, but getting far in the tournament counts as a trait going against being an underdog. You can still look like an underdog if you say... made mistakes. Team Taiyou didn't do any of that. They were portrayed to be a threat and having only one D-Wheel never came out as some disadvantage or anything. If Team 5D's had a deck destruction strategy in place, then I would think that having one deck would have made look more like underdogs, but since that didn't happen, and they would have had a deck with the same strategy to summon the god anyway it didn't really matter or lead to anything that would make them at a disadvantage.

I'm getting really tired and uninterested of this Team Taiyou discussion. I already know that you'll disagree with me anyway, and I can already predict your counter argument too. We'll just be going in circles, so it would be best to stop it and have something new to discuss. Feel free to counter and bring up the points I know you will bring up. Just know that I won't bother to respond about those parts since I really hate repeating myself. We didn't get to page 22 from when we both started posting in page 4 with the same discussion. The reason why it took me so long to respond was because of my lack of interest. I didn't want to waste your time repeating anyway. What you told me has only made me prove my point further that they're not underdog characters, because despite the little disadvantages they had, they still made it through somehow.

I didn't really get much of an independent vibe from her even with standing up to those bullies, but it probably doesn't help that nothing really came out of Aki becoming a D-Wheeler. Considering that most of the female characters ended up being on the sidelines after the Dark Signer arc pretty much ended up on the sidelines while the male characters got the most focus/importance to the plot, I'm not sure if I'd consider the show against sexism. I thought that Aki developed healing powers some time after losing them, but I could be mistaken. It's been awhile since I've seen the later portions of the series. You're welcome about letting you know that they dueled in the manga. There's only three volumes out so far, but it seems to be a pretty good read thus far.
    It's mostly due to the show having more male characters. Yu-Gi-Oh! is aimed at males more, so that's where the advertising happens. It's also one of the reasons why we haven't had a main female protagonist yet. What do you think if they made a main female protagonist, Hidden Mew? Speaking of females, I'm glad that there's finally somebody that is being affected by the Number Cards' dark powers. I didn't expect it to be Rio, but it makes sense since she's Shark twin sister. I recall us having a discussion about how cool it would be to have a female character affected by the Number Cards'

The Fortune Cup and Dark Signer arcs were my favorite parts of the series as well. While I still enjoyed the later arcs, they weren't as engaging as the first two for me as well. Although I didn't come to dislike Yusei, I can understand why people would dislike him, especially in the later arcs. I really enjoy both DM and GX, so I think rewatching either one would be a good choice. I do think that DM is the better series out of the two in terms of overall quality since the characterization is better and there's a stronger focus on the storyline, although being an adaptation of a manga while GX was an original series probably helped in that regard. GX is really fun to watch, in spite of its problems, because of the likable characters and relatively decent to good duels throughout the series. The main advantage GX has over DM for a rewatch is that GX has a smaller episode count, so that might make it easier to go through in a short amount of time if you want to speed through the series, but starting off with either series to rewatch first sounds good to me.
    DM's episode count isn't a bother to me since I could just skip the dull, horribly written and overlyexaggerated arcs and get to the good stuff quickly. To me, the Virtual World arc never happened. I've decided to start watching GX again. Wow, it's boring me to tears like it first did. The duels are boring, the "comedy" is strange, Judai was his unrealistically overly optimistic self, and many of the characters feel too flat and one dimensional. Being entertained by the quality of the first Zexal II episode made me think that I was too spoiled with it's amazing writing, animation, music, characters and feel that I now can't watch and enjoy an episode of any Yu-Gi-Oh! saga unless it has "Zexal" written next to it. Not a single episode of 5Ds entertained me more than the first episode of Zexal II. Honestly, it blew my mind. I'll post my review of it when the second episode is out.

By the way, I'm planning on continuing the discussion that we dropped when you said that you didn't feel like coming back to this thread again because there were many points that I wanted to clarify. I'm sure that this thread wouldn't have gotten 22 pages if it weren't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Kamishiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon Borealis View Post

Oh, I loved the chibis! SO CUUUTE~ <3

As for new people in the series, I have high hopes for the Barian people. They seem interesting, almost like Yliaster to me. And I loved Yliaster.

I also cannot wait to see this guy from the opening, he looks like he might be a Barian-type person~

X3
    That person is going to be the guy that makes Rei go ditch Yuma xD. I'm more interested to see what this new Pro duellist is going to bring in the show;

He is said to be a Pro duelist also under the control of the heralds of the Barian World.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 10th October 2012 at 12:13 PM.

I'm so excited to see my baby from the Barian world, I'm already totally in love with him. <3

And today I finally figured out that he is that one Barian person, Alit! So now I know his name and I wanna see my Barian duelist~ He's bound to be interesting.

Also, I wonder when the opening will change to show their faces and also Rio. Cuz I mean, she'll be showing her face pretty soon, so.

Blog Entries

I'm so excited to see my baby from the Barian world, I'm already totally in love with him. <3

And today I finally figured out that he is that one Barian person, Alit! So now I know his name and I wanna see my Barian duelist~ He's bound to be interesting.
    Oh yes~! I'm looking forward to see how these villains will torture our dear protagonists' minds :3.

you fall in love with EVERY boy that you see :p (points to himself X3)

Also, I wonder when the opening will change to show their faces and also Rio. Cuz I mean, she'll be showing her face pretty soon, so.
    I don't know why they're even hiding her face. I'm pretty sure that it's to make her look interesting and mysterious, but they already showed her face in one of the previews xD

Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast