Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal - Page 14

Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post
    Hey , If there a lot of people still watching the lame Best Wish then obviously there even more People who's watching Zexal !
    After all, Yugioh Zexal actually has a Story Plot, Great Competition , Proper Character development , Proper Character Interaction and Great Chemistry between Character.
    Not to mention , Awesome Opening & Ending.
    You know ,
    Everytime I see Kotori , I wish Misty to come back !
    I really don't see a lot of character development, character interaction or great chemistry between the characters in this show. While I definitely have problems with BW, which does have a plot too, I can still care about most of the characters in the main cast. With Zexal, I couldn't care less about the protagonists, aside from maybe Astral and Shark, although he might be more of an anti-hero than a protagonist. They're just so boring and/or unlikable. Plus, the story suffers from inconsistent writing and not explaining significant details. That isn't new for a Yu-Gi-Oh! series, but that along with being uninterested in the majority of the characters makes it hard for me to feel invested in what's going on quite often. That's one reason why I hope that Rio will be a decent character since I actually want to like more characters in this show, but the protagonists really don't offer much for me.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

I actually like most of the characters in Zexal. I think Yuma makes a good protagonist, even though he can be slightly obnoxious at times. Kotori is also surprisingly likable to me, despite not dueling. She adds a lot to the series just by supporting Yuma and talking in between duels. She's a pretty necessary character.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Quote Originally Posted by NfiNity View Post
    I actually like most of the characters in Zexal. I think Yuma makes a good protagonist, even though he can be slightly obnoxious at times. Kotori is also surprisingly likable to me, despite not dueling. She adds a lot to the series just by supporting Yuma and talking in between duels. She's a pretty necessary character.
    Yuma doesn't make a good protagonist for me. He's annoying, comes off as selfish at times and just down right unlikeable to me. It doesn't help that the writers can go from making him look like a joke to trying to make it look like he's a strong duelist, so any growth one could argue he has had just feels forced/unbelievable for me. Kotori just comes off as bland and boring to me. I don't think she adds a lot to the series by supporting Yuma and talking in-between duels. That's pretty much what Anzu did and I don't think people tend to say that she added a lot in DM. Although, she was basically Kotori done right in my opinion with being the female cheerleader but actually having a bit more of an impact beyond that. I don't think she's that necessary, although she does at least have more of a reason to be included in the main cast than most of Yuma's friends. I don't think it was that necessary that she followed Yuma throughout all of his preliminary matches or at the very least, she didn't need to be with him during those roller coaster duels. Her presence added absolutely nothing but looking cute and scared to appeal to the people who do find her cute for some reason.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

I still think Kotori is necessary, though. Every character in the series has a purpose, whether they are likable or not. Yuma needs to be there the way he is, Kotori needs to be there, Astral needs to be there, Shark needs to be there, etc... The list goes on. The series isn't going to be perfect for everyone, no one is going to like the same person. Me for example, I love Kaito-sama obsessively while my older sister seems to not like him much and prefers others. It's only natural to have different feelings while watching it.
    Caseydia likes this.

I still think Kotori is necessary, though. Every character in the series has a purpose, whether they are likable or not. Yuma needs to be there the way he is, Kotori needs to be there, Astral needs to be there, Shark needs to be there, etc... The list goes on. The series isn't going to be perfect for everyone, no one is going to like the same person. Me for example, I love Kaito-sama obsessively while my older sister seems to not like him much and prefers others. It's only natural to have different feelings while watching it.
    I still don't see the need for Kotori to be presence during the roller coaster duels at least. It didn't really add anything and it isn't like the episodes would have been drastically different if she wasn't there. I also think that Yuma's characterization could be handled better so that he wouldn't be as annoying/unlikable. Astral has to be there of course, but he's actually connected to the plot beyond being Yuma's friend and he's connected to Yuma anyway. I know that that every one is going to like the same character, as I'm more indifferent towards Kaito than anything else, but I don't see Kotori being such a necessary component to the series beyond being the token female cheerleader/obvious love interest for Yuma and even that's not that important in the long run.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

She's important to me because she's the cheerleader. Yuma would have gotten pretty much nowhere without Kotori. She helped him find his deck, she helped him on the Duel Coaster by warning him of the traps put around him, she helped him gain his confidence back when he lost against Kaito the first time... I just think that despite how useless she may seem, she does have a purpose that is subtle, but exists.

She's important to me because she's the cheerleader. Yuma would have gotten pretty much nowhere without Kotori. She helped him find his deck, she helped him on the Duel Coaster by warning him of the traps put around him, she helped him gain his confidence back when he lost against Kaito the first time... I just think that despite how useless she may seem, she does have a purpose that is subtle, but exists.
    All Kotori did when Yuma was looking for his deck after the first day of the finals was help Tetuso with that Number duel puzzle, which wasn't that significant and was mainly there for awkward fanservice. She warned Yuma about those traps, but he still ran into them all the time. That's why his life points were so long when he faced Gauche. Besides, Astral could have done that if that was her main contribution for being with Yuma in the roller coaster duels. I don't recall Kotori doing anything to help Yuma gain his confidence back after he lost to Kaito. She wanted to help and she was there, but I thought it was the duel with Duel Logger, or whatever he was called, that did the most to restore his confidence. I don't think she needed to be there for all of Yuma's preliminary matches, especially when very few of them actually connected to the plot.

I'm not saying that she doesn't have a purpose. She clearly has the cheerleader role of the group and that alone gives her more purpose in this show than the majority of Yuma's friends. I just don't think that she's nearly as important as the show tends to make her look like she is. She also still comes off as bland and uninteresting to me. I've seen the whole supportive female friend of the main lead who obviously has a crush on him done better in other series, including previous Yu-G-Oh! series. She just doesn't do anything to make her stand out beyond her role as the cheerleader to make me feel invested in her character and the fact that her entire world apparently revolves around Yuma doesn't help. Although, to be fair, that's one of my main complaints about Yuma's friends since most of them are seen mainly as his friends rather than showcasing them as individuals with their own goals unrelated to Yuma.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

If she didn't tag along with him mainly, that would make her entirely pointless and then she might as well not even be there.

As for Yuma's other friends, I do think they should have their own goals, but I also think them being mainly tied to Yuma isn't exactly a negative thing. Yuma is the main protagonist after all, he would probably get hardly any screentime if each of his friends stole a couple of episodes for themselves on goals that would probably not contribute to the plot at all.

If she didn't tag along with him mainly, that would make her entirely pointless and then she might as well not even be there.
    Honestly, I don't think that mainly tagging along with Yuma really gives her that much purpose, especially when she just cries his name from the sidelines most of the time anyway. Plus, if she tagged around the other characters some more, maybe they could actually give the impression that they're all good friends. She barely interacts with anyone who isn't Yuma or Tetsuo, which makes the attempt at making a group dynamic between the characters look pretty weak to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NfiNity
    As for Yuma's other friends, I do think they should have their own goals, but I also think them being mainly tied to Yuma isn't exactly a negative thing. Yuma is the main protagonist after all, he would probably get hardly any screentime if each of his friends stole a couple of episodes for themselves on goals that would probably not contribute to the plot at all.
    I do think that his friends being treated as just his friends is a negative thing. It makes them look like boring characters and when the show tries to put them in danger, I don't really care what happens to them. They're just kind of there, so I don't feel any investment in their characters. Considering how much screentime Yuma takes up anyway, I don't think it would hurt to give his friends a couple of episodes to flesh their personalities and give them goals that could make them more interesting characters. It would be better than just having them there as Yuma's own squad of boring cheerleaders. Plus, they could maybe try to work in a connection to the plot with some of their goals. They were able to do that with Shark's subplot in the WDC, even though it wasn't handled as well as it could have been, so I don't see why they couldn't have tried for that with Yuma's friends. Though, in retrospect, it probably wasn't the best idea to make Yuma the only one in the main cast to have a significant impact on the plot, especially when that did make most of his friends pretty pointless in most situations.
    Caseydia likes this.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

The only difference there is that Shark IS a main character, the others aren't. They are listed as "minor characters/sub characters". I don't see how Yuma's friends really are that important to see more of anyway, I have no problem with them just being there to support Yuma. I feel that that's all they need to do since they have other characters in the series that are more interesting to work with. Of course, this also boils down to the whole "opinions" thing.

Yuma isn't the only main character to have impact on the plot, Kaito does, Shark does, and also Astral. Those four are considered main, main characters.
    HumanDawn and Caseydia like this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Hidden Mew;4339505]
    Although, to be fair, that's one of my main complaints about Yuma's friends since most of them are seen mainly as his friends rather than showcasing them as individuals with their own goals unrelated to Yuma.
    You know , This is the reason why Pokemon start to Suck !
    Because Writer try to work with Multiple Goal rather then One Main Goal and the Story fall apart!
    Yugioh Zexal is ONLY about ''Stopping Barrian World'' , So The Writer of the Show only focus on Characters who can play major role in that goal like Shark & Kite !
    Yuma Friend get focus depending on how greater role they can play in ''Stopping Barrian World''.
    Yuma is not a expectation ether!
    Other People Goal has nothing to do with it Even if they are Yuma's Friend , Family or Wife!
    Unless their Goal is directly & indirectly connected in ''Stopping Barrian World''.
    A lot of Popular Show is like that.
    They focus on One Main goal and all other event of the Show is Directly & Indirectly connected to that Goal.
    For Example , Inazuma Eleven is only about ''Saving Soccer''!
    So it doesn't matter what Other People goal are in there even if its the Main Character we are talking about.
    Or Pokemon Adventure! It only About Pokedex Holder Saving the world .
    If Pokemon Best Wish Just fix One Goal & put all their focus in it then Best Wish wouldn't be such a disappointment.
    The goal could be ether ''Becoming Champion'' Or ""Stop N & Team Plasma''!

Thats how Anime should be like
    Last edited by Hurricane Kishore; 14th September 2012 at 04:32 PM.

The only difference there is that Shark IS a main character, the others aren't. They are listed as "minor characters/sub characters". I don't see how Yuma's friends really are that important to see more of anyway, I have no problem with them just being there to support Yuma. I feel that that's all they need to do since they have other characters in the series that are more interesting to work with. Of course, this also boils down to the whole "opinions" thing.
    True, but I still don't think it should prevent them from doing something with the other characters instead of just being there. I don't care about any of Yuma's friends since that's all they are. Just his friends to support him and that really doesn't make me want to like them. I have nothing to feel invested in with any of them. While GX had a similar problem with Judai taking up so much screentime, most of his friends had fleshed out personalities and conflicts that didn't only revolve around him. There are characters that are more interesting to work with, but if they're only there to be Yuma's friends without any significant impact on the plot beyond that, then I think that's a problem. Though, I agree that this comes down to personal tastes and opinions, but I don't really like how there are so many characters that are treated like they're important when they're only there to be Yuma's friends. I'd much rather have a cast of characters that have fleshed out personalities and are likable, regardless of whether or not they have a significant impact on the plot, although that would certainly help them if they did, than a cast of characters whose whole world revolves around the main character.

Yuma isn't the only main character to have impact on the plot, Kaito does, Shark does, and also Astral. Those four are considered main, main characters.
    I was referring to Yuma being the only protagonist being able to have an impact on the plot, although I guess that would include Astral as well. Both Shark and Kaito are more anti-heroes than protagonist, but I should have made that clearer all the same.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Shark can no longer be considered an anti-villain after episode 62, he makes it pretty apparent he's on Yuma's side, making him a protagonist at this point. I also think Kaito is since he seems eager to battle with Yuma and Shark for the fate of the future in episode 69.

About the whole cast of characters, that rules back to your matter of preference. Kaito, Shark, Astral, and others definitely have the potential to be likable. And to me, they are.

Shark can no longer be considered an anti-villain after episode 62, he makes it pretty apparent he's on Yuma's side, making him a protagonist at this point. I also think Kaito is since he seems eager to battle with Yuma and Shark for the fate of the future in episode 69.
    I don't know if anti-villain is the same as anti-hero. Shark is still on Yuma's side, but considering how rivals/anti-heroes in previous series sided with the main character for a conflict, I don't know if that really changes anything for Shark. Though, it's probably a moot point by now. Kaito wanted to face his father, regardless of whether or not Yuma and Shark were there because he wanted to save Haruto, so I don't think he could be anything other than the rival/anti-hero figure of the group.

About the whole cast of characters, that rules back to your matter of preference. Kaito, Shark, Astral, and others definitely have the potential to be likable. And to me, they are.
    Shark is the only character there that I actually do like, as I've mentioned a few times here before. He has development that sticks, a fairly well fleshed out personality and not everything about him revolves around Yuma. He's still Yuma's friend, but not all of his conflicts relate to him, which makes him feel more like an individual character, instead of just Yuma's friend. Astral is okay. He can be kind of dull at times and being able to only interact with Yuma doesn't help, but he's still relatively okay for me. Kaito isn't so much likable for me. He was really interesting when he first appeared and I did like him, but his attitude just wore off on me after awhile and being so ridiculously overpowered didn't help either, especially after duels like his match against Shark and his tag duel with Yuma. I've also grown tired of how focused he is on Haruto. I know it's suppose to show how much he cares for his little brother and that concern does come off as genuine, but it doesn't feel like there's much to his personality beyond his focus on Haruto.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Mistake on my part, I meant "anti-hero" not "anti-villain".

Well, me being the biggest Kaito-sama fan around is of course going to disagree with the "doesn't feel like there's must to his personality beyond his focus of Haruto". I think he has a ton of depth and everytime Kaito-sama shows up, I get extremely happy and excited.

Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast