Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal - Page 10

Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 954
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

  1. #136
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,221

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    I actually really didn't like Tron's dub voice. It sounds too chilidish and high-pitched. The Japanese voice can pull of being childish and being serious at the same time and I don't think that this English voice is nearly as good. IV's dub voice was fairly decent, but I agree that it doesn't fit with him. It sounds too calm and honestly far too old for a teenager. Maybe it will sound better once IV gets to show off how crazy he is later on, but it doesn't fit him. I wonder how they'll handle his fanservice catchphrase.

    Droite and Gauche probably have the best of the new dub voices. Their voices actually fit pretty well. Although I thought that Gauche sounded a bit too gruff and loud at times and being voiced by Jason Griffith made me think of how small their pool of voice actors is, but it still worked better for the character than IV and Tron's dub voices sounded to me.

  2. #137
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    332
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Can I just comment on something here? Episode 46, to be exact.



    Look at that. On their cheeks, there's the faintest pink...

    They're both blushing.

    Blushing.

    My AztecShippy heart is so filled with rainbows right now~ ♥ In case it wasn't obvious, my OTP of all OTPs is AztecShipping. I just...I love it so much...!

    Agh, it always makes me so happy to find hints for these two like this... <3

    /fangirl mode
    Momoka, Midorikawa and HumanDawn like this.

  3. #138
    Entertainment Duelist Momoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    my room
    Posts
    3,526

    Follow Momoka on Tumblr

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    III; I know, I always thought that while watching it... both blushing like that.

    As for the English voices... While I hate the name "Vetrix"(granted it's not as bad as Quatro, Tres, and Cinco), I actually really liked Tron's English voice. I don't think I've heard enough of it yet to really determine the right emotions. From what I've heard though, I like it.

    IV's was also pretty good. Not insane enough, but acceptable. I can't wait to hear III and V.
    Akuraito and Midorikawa like this.

    all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

  4. #139
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    332
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    My god, Tres. I just can't even...

    I agree with you on all of that. x3;

    Though I'm very afraid for III's appearance. ^^; Hopes he doesn't get genderbent.
    Momoka and Midorikawa like this.

  5. #140
    Prince of Renais FinalArcadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Preparing for battle
    Posts
    2,744
    Blog Entries
    51

    Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Even though I love, love, love Tron's original Japanese voice much more, I agree, his English one is... kind of cute actually.

    It was very creepy, and I think that works pretty well. Honestly, I had expected much worse, and was pleasantly surprised.

    Good lord, that laugh, though. XD

  6. #141
    Entertainment Duelist Momoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    my room
    Posts
    3,526

    Follow Momoka on Tumblr

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Quote Originally Posted by Belarus. View Post

    Though I'm very afraid for III's appearance. ^^; Hopes he doesn't get genderbent.
    They should totally make him sound extremely manly just for laughs.

    all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

  7. #142
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    332
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    It'd be the best thing of the dub. XD I could almost forgive them for Quatro, then, maybe... x3

    I'll be happy if they just keep him male and don't give him a horrible voice. >_> As long as it's decent... I couldn't stand to see 46-49 be ruined even more. DX
    Midorikawa likes this.

  8. #143
    Entertainment Duelist Momoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    my room
    Posts
    3,526

    Follow Momoka on Tumblr

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    What'll ruin those episodes more so than the voices will be that awful music 4Kids does. Or whoever the hell does it now, Konami.

    I mean, the original soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks around. WHY NOT USE IT? ;_;

    all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

  9. #144
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,221

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Quote Originally Posted by NfiNity View Post
    What'll ruin those episodes more so than the voices will be that awful music 4Kids does. Or whoever the hell does it now, Konami.

    I mean, the original soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks around. WHY NOT USE IT? ;_;
    Using the original soundtrack means that they'd have to pay extra money to get the rights to it and for companies like 4Kids, it's cheaper to make their own background music. While I wouldn't have a problem with keeping the original background music, especially for the emotional/intense moments during the series, I usually don't have too much of a problem with it being replaced.

    Also, I've heard that 4Kids dubbed up to around the first forty episodes of the series, so the Konami episodes haven't started yet. I honestly wouldn't expect much of a change once we get to there though considering the production team, for better or for worse, is the same and I could see Konami not wanting to pay the extra money for background music. As for the name changes, they're pretty weird, but I'm more interested in their voices. IV still sounds decent, despite not really fitting with his character, and I really didn't like what I heard from Tron at all, but maybe it could sound better when he has more lines.

  10. #145
    I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In fields of grey
    Posts
    10,566
    Blog Entries
    18

    Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Quote Originally Posted by Belarus. View Post
    My god, Tres. I just can't even...

    I agree with you on all of that. x3;

    Though I'm very afraid for III's appearance. ^^; Hopes he doesn't get genderbent.
    Same here. I hate when the dubbers change a characters gender. I'm hoping V has a good dub voice, it's bad enough that they called him Cinco.

  11. #146
    Future Seeker HumanDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,100
    Blog Entries
    21

    Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    It seemed too risky of a strategy to use against an opponent she clearly knew was dangerous. If she had a card to counter the effect her other combinations had on her life points, then I probably would see it as a better strategy.
    Risky? It got Tron's life points to 100. That in itself is saying how effective the strategy was. Plus you could say that to every strategy she could have used... Because... NUMBERS! She had to come up with a strategy. There is no such thing as a perfect strategy. You who have watched this show from the first saga should have already known this. Seeing her try and fail was compelling enough to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Her crush on Kaito ruins her character for me because she becomes yet another female character with a crush on a main character, instead of being more independent character.
    So wait a minute here... You complain that Yuma's friends are not individuals because they're too centralized on him, and here you complain that Droite's love interest ruins her because... apparently loving somebody makes your character dependent because other characters in this show have a love interest? She planned it secretly with nobody else's help. She got Tron's life points down to 100, a feat that only she accomplished until Zexal defeated him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    As for saving her, that seemed to be a weak way, for me at least, to form the crush since it isn't from getting to know him, but just admire him from afar after he saves her.
    Nope. Droite loved Kaito because he came to her as a person that cared for others. When she saw him taking care of Haruto, despite his coma, she started loving him for that strong character that stood up for others no matter what. Sadly, Kaito was too blinded with curing Haruto to care for her. That, to me, made for a compelling and complex love story that helped to build more tension in Kaito and Tron's duel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    It doesn't help that the situation in which he saved her doesn't make sense as I have not heard a good explanation as to how dueling a giant robot that can injury people can make them elite duelists.
    I'll give you an explanation then. Whether you find it to be good or not is up to you.

    The giant robot was a duelling robot designed to test duellists' skills. The duelling robot would test the duellists' abilities to counter the strategies he set, their reaction time, the power of their decks and their team work. Why injure them? Because by force you get better and quicker results. It would be, say, more realistic for when they're in the field facing an opponent like Tron who would be trying to manipulate them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Kotori is seriously boring for me. She's just Yuma's main cheerleader and practically becomes his shadow during the WDC with rarely leaving his side until the semi-finals started.
    Yeah xD. She was like his personal servant warning him about traps and of other duellists approaching. Can't say she was completely pointless with him, but then she did what Astral could have done to help Yuma anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    She as no personality outside of her given role and even that, I've seen other close friends/obvious love interest for the main character in other series that were handled better or had something interesting about them.
    I completely agree! Lets hope that she starts doing something in the next season instead of being the source of countless running gags.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Cathy has more personality, but was rarely focused on, I kept forgetting that she was even in this tournament and her inclusion in it was completely pointless.
    I disagree here. Her duel against Dog-chan has shown that she took Yuma's teachings about friendship through duelling by telling Dog-chan in the end of how duelling made her come out of her shell and be more social to others instead of hiding who she is. That, to me, made Cat-chan more interesting, more relate able, more likeable and more of an individual.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Anna quickly became an annoying and unlikable female character who can't even remember who she first had the crush on and stealing another person's spot in the finals just to be with Yuma was extremely low and creepy.
    Not correctly remembering your crush after like, 8 years is a common thing with young girls. Her creepiness is why so many people like her :3.

  12. #147
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,221

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    [Risky? It got Tron's life points to 100. That in itself is saying how effective the strategy was. Plus you could say that to every strategy she could have used... Because... NUMBERS! She had to come up with a strategy. There is no such thing as a perfect strategy. You who have watched this show from the first saga should have already known this. Seeing her try and fail was compelling enough to me.
    It also put her life points pretty low too, especially after she spend so much time trying to boost up her life points because she knew how dangerous she was. She was charging ahead, trying to finish off the match quickly, so it seemed more risky to me. I know that there's no such thing as a perfect strategy. I've been watching Yu-Gi-Oh! since DM, so I'm not expecting any character to have a perfect strategy. I just think she should have had some plan to reduce or eliminate the amount of life points she was spending for her combination, especially when she was well aware of how dangerous Tron was. Seeing Droite try and fail wasn't compelling enough for me when I don't think that there was enough time devoted to her character prior to the duel to make her a more interesting/sympathetic/likable character. I didn't hate her before, but she was just kind of there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    So wait a minute here... You complain that Yuma's friends are not individuals because they're too centralized on him, and here you complain that Droite's love interest ruins her because... apparently loving somebody makes your character dependent because other characters in this show have a love interest? She planned it secretly with nobody else's help. She got Tron's life points down to 100, a feat that only she accomplished until Zexal defeated him.
    No, I'm just saying that it's annoying how pretty much every female character in the main/supporting cast has been basically reduced to being nothing more than love interests for one of the male leads. This wouldn't be too problematic if they had more fleshed out personalities and were basically more interesting characters, but all of the female characters, as well as a good portion of the characters in the series in general, come off as dull and flat characters to me. She got his life points down to one-hundred, but he was still completely calm during the whole duel and easily turn the tables against her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    Nope. Droite loved Kaito because he came to her as a person that cared for others. When she saw him taking care of Haruto, despite his coma, she started loving him for that strong character that stood up for others no matter what. Sadly, Kaito was too blinded with curing Haruto to care for her. That, to me, made for a compelling and complex love story that helped to build more tension in Kaito and Tron's duel.
    I thought that the whole being rescued had just as much, if not more so, of an impact on Droite than Kaito caring for Haruto. Either way, I don't really see that as a compelling or complex love story since I had no reason to feel invested in Droite's character before they threw in her love for Kaito. She didn't have much screentime and was basically just the calm figure to contrast with Gauche's emotional and rash behavior. She was okay at best, but not enough for me to really care about and her motivation to duel Tron didn't change that.

    I do like some love stories with characters from previous series, mainly Jack and Carly from 5D's. One of the reasons why I thought that their story work well was because they were both shown as individual characters first. Jack had the first arc to showcase his personality and while Carly only had a few episodes before becoming Jack's love interest, they still spent the time showcasing her personality and she still felt like an individual even after she became a love interest. At least until arguably the post-Dark Signer arcs, which was unfortunate. Still, they were individual characters before a couple and they had a significant impact on their character development. The relationship between Droite and Kaito, by comparison, isn't nearly as engaging since Droite hasn't been that well fleshed out as an individual before declaring her love for Kaito and Kaito himself isn't that interesting to me anymore. He started off strong, but his personality and being so overpowered wore off on me by the time he had that tag duel with Yuma. They don't affect each other to the point where it would make me care about their relationship or as individuals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    I'll give you an explanation then. Whether you find it to be good or not is up to you.

    The giant robot was a duelling robot designed to test duellists' skills. The duelling robot would test the duellists' abilities to counter the strategies he set, their reaction time, the power of their decks and their team work. Why injure them? Because by force you get better and quicker results. It would be, say, more realistic for when they're in the field facing an opponent like Tron who would be trying to manipulate them.
    It still sounds way too ridiculous to me and I've been a fan since DM, so I'm well aware of how ridiculous their means of dueling can be. Considering that they could just be injured in a regular duel from the AR Vision that throws people across the floor, they could just duel each other non-stop or have electrical devices on that shocks them if they lose. The latter would still be ridiculous, but at least would be a bit more "practical" training tools than a giant robot. It just seems far too silly and weird, even for a Yu-Gi-Oh! series.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    Yeah xD. She was like his personal servant warning him about traps and of other duellists approaching. Can't say she was completely pointless with him, but then she did what Astral could have done to help Yuma anyway.
    Exactly. If Yuma didn't have Astral floating around, then I could have kind of understood why they bothered to keep Kotori around, although it would still be a stretch at some point, but there are a ton of episodes in the WDC that could have been just Yuma and Astral facing an opponent on their own and nothing of significant value would be lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    I completely agree! Lets hope that she starts doing something in the next season instead of being the source of countless running gags.
    That would be nice, but I sadly doubt that will happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    I disagree here. Her duel against Dog-chan has shown that she took Yuma's teachings about friendship through duelling by telling Dog-chan in the end of how duelling made her come out of her shell and be more social to others instead of hiding who she is. That, to me, made Cat-chan more interesting, more relate able, more likeable and more of an individual.
    That duel was completely ridiculous, which was kind of unfortunate considering it was her second duel in thirty episodes. It did help to show that Cathy had come out of her shell, but considering that she's already been like that with being more comfortable in Yuma's circle of friends, I'm not sure if she really needed to show that through a duel. It didn't help that the reason behind having that duel was contrived, everyone, including Yuma, forgot his heart pieces were on the line and nothing about Dog-chan actually made any sense. It just feels like her inclusion in the tournament wasn't really necessary when her duel didn't have an impact on the plot or do anything new for her character. I used to like Cathy, but I think she just became more annoying with her crush on Yuma and became less interesting. She still has more of a personality than Kotori, but that's really not something hard to achieve.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    Not correctly remembering your crush after like, 8 years is a common thing with young girls. Her creepiness is why so many people like her :3.
    That would be more reasonable if Yuma and the guy she had a crush on looked anything alike, but they didn't. I could understand mixing up their names, as those did sound similar, but the fact that they looked so drastically different should have made her realize that it wasn't Yuma, especially when she already tried to attack him from the air for who knows how long before they decided to duel. The fact that Yuma gets yet another love interest didn't really help my initial impression with Anna, but seeing how she stole someone else' position in the finals just to be with Yuma made her completely unlikable for me. Being used as another crutch for Yuma so that he wouldn't have been kicked out of the tournament was pretty annoying too.
    Last edited by Hidden Mew; 4th September 2012 at 03:55 AM.

  13. #148
    Future Seeker HumanDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,100
    Blog Entries
    21

    Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    It also put her life points pretty low too, especially after she spend so much time trying to boost up her life points because she knew how dangerous she was. She was charging ahead, trying to finish off the match quickly, so it seemed more risky to me. I know that there's no such thing as a perfect strategy. I've been watching Yu-Gi-Oh! since DM, so I'm not expecting any character to have a perfect strategy. I just think she should have had some plan to reduce or eliminate the amount of life points she was spending for her combination, especially when she was well aware of how dangerous Tron was. Seeing Droite try and fail wasn't compelling enough for me when I don't think that there was enough time devoted to her character prior to the duel to make her a more interesting/sympathetic/likable character. I didn't hate her before, but she was just kind of there.
    I'd say that she undoubtedly had a card that could help her restore her life points and beat Tron, but sadly, like nearly every other duel on the show where the card they need to win the duel doesn't show up, that particular card didn't come up. Tron was extremely lucky himself getting the card he needed to counter Droite's strategy. I do agree on how more time could have been devoted to her character prior to the duel to make her more sympathetic and interesting, but that clearly wasn't the writers' plan. All the pieces to make her one happened in that duel with the revelation of her love interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    No, I'm just saying that it's annoying how pretty much every female character in the main/supporting cast has been basically reduced to being nothing more than love interests for one of the male leads. This wouldn't be too problematic if they had more fleshed out personalities and were basically more interesting characters, but all of the female characters, as well as a good portion of the characters in the series in general, come off as dull and flat characters to me. She got his life points down to one-hundred, but he was still completely calm during the whole duel and easily turn the tables against her.
    But unlike the other female characters who have a love interest that is used to solely inject comedy most of the time, Droite's is rather unique because it's not treated as a joke but a serious one where lives are at stake. Personally, Kotori is the only female character I'd say is particularly dull and uninteresting. There are minor female characters like Yuma's grandma and mom who don't have anything going for them other than being related to Yuma, but those don't appear that much so I'm not bothered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I thought that the whole being rescued had just as much, if not more so, of an impact on Droite than Kaito caring for Haruto.
    Well, she loved him for his caring character, strength, determination and strong willingness. Ask his fangirls, they love him for the same reason, only Droite is serious about it xD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Either way, I don't really see that as a compelling or complex love story since I had no reason to feel invested in Droite's character before they threw in her love for Kaito. She didn't have much screentime and was basically just the calm figure to contrast with Gauche's emotional and rash behavior. She was okay at best, but not enough for me to really care about and her motivation to duel Tron didn't change that. Her feelings to Kaito also came a bit out of nowhere for me.
    I agree. If it was confirmed that she already loved him exactly before the roller coaster duel started, I would have felt compelled seeing her getting the life points she needed and going after Tron. Instead, her feelings came out in the duel. Though, she's the type of person to keep things to herself, so it comes off as no surprise that she wouldn't be open about it. I don't agree that it came out of nowhere since IIRC it was sort of implied that she was doing the job for a different job. Either way, she still compelled me and seeing her slowly fall on the ground after her failure and soul was taken still made me feel really bad for her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    It still sounds way too ridiculous to me and I've been a fan since DM, so I'm well aware of how ridiculous their means of dueling can be. Considering that they could just be injured in a regular duel from the AR Vision that throws people across the floor, they could just duel each other non-stop or have electrical devices on that shocks them if they lose. The latter would still be ridiculous, but at least would be a bit more "practical" training tools than a giant robot. It just seems far too silly and weird, even for a Yu-Gi-Oh! series.
    You've come to the wrong series then. Seriously, we're watching a show were winning a children's card game(it is one in our world, but not in theirs) is the equivalent of saving somebody's life. The giant robot injuring people to force them to be better duellists isn't any dumber or ridiculous. Plus this must have been Dr. Faker and Mr. Hartland's idea, the two wackiest and craziest looking villains ever. The sadists inside of them must have loved to see them get injured. But like I've said, it was test to well... test them. Nobody would go that far unless they were really determined to be very loyal to Dr. Faker and Mr. Hartland. At least, that's how I personally see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Exactly. If Yuma didn't have Astral floating around, then I could have kind of understood why they bothered to keep Kotori around, although it would still be a stretch at some point, but there are a ton of episodes in the WDC that could have been just Yuma and Astral facing an opponent on their own and nothing of significant value would be lost.
    She's also the entire reason why the roller coasters have 2 seats instead of 1. Honestly, if I was their designer and I knew that only 1 duellist would be on one of them, why make 2 seats? The roller coaster was even specifically built for the track, needing the heart container with all 5 heart pieces to be powered up and the map.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    That would be nice, but I sadly doubt that will happen.
    I'd say that every character can have something added to them to make them face struggles and be more interesting. If Kotori started duelling and had a subplot, depending on that subplot, I may find her to be interesting. It's completely up to the writers if they want to let her keep on being walking scenery.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    That duel was completely ridiculous, which was kind of unfortunate considering it was her second duel in thirty episodes. It did help to show that Cathy had come out of her shell, but considering that she's already been like that with being more comfortable in Yuma's circle of friends, I'm not sure if she really needed to show that through a duel. It didn't help that the reason behind having that duel was contrived, everyone, including Yuma, forgot his heart pieces were on the line and nothing about Dog-chan actually made any sense. It just feels like her inclusion in the tournament wasn't really necessary when her duel didn't have an impact on the plot or do anything new for her character. I used to like Cathy, but I think she just became more annoying with her crush on Yuma and became less interesting. She still has more of a personality than Kotori, but that's really not something hard to achieve.
    I loved that duel and the hilarity that it ensued xD. Dog-chan sort of made sense with the big dog. If you think about it, this is the future, where evolution most likely happened to the dog, making him bigger. Some face evolution, some don't. The voice modifier is also nothing big. Regarding Cat-Chan, I think that she still needed to say it out loud and teach it to somebody. And, well, who could be any better than somebody who faced similar issues? With said person being a dog lover xD. The episode to me was funny, compelling and overall entertaining. It didn't need to affect the plot for me to care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    That would be more reasonable if Yuma and the guy she had a crush on looked anything alike, but they didn't. I could understand mixing up their names, as those did sound similar, but the fact that they looked so drastically different should have made her realize that it wasn't Yuma, especially when she already tried to attack him from the air for who knows how long before they decided to duel. The fact that Yuma gets yet another love interest didn't really help my initial impression with Anna, but seeing how she stole someone else' position in the finals just to be with Yuma made her completely unlikable for me. Being used as another crutch for Yuma so that he wouldn't have been kicked out of the tournament was pretty annoying too.
    Well, 8 years(it looked like that much time passed) are a long time xD. Besides, her stealing that someone else's position in the finals doesn't really matter since said someone wouldn't have standed a chance in winning. After seeing Tron come up like that, I'd think of staying out of it.

  14. #149
    Painting the night sky... Neon Borealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Soaring through the skies.
    Posts
    947
    Blog Entries
    41

    Follow Neon Borealis on Tumblr

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    about episode 70

    (read at your own risk)

    Last edited by Neon Borealis; 4th September 2012 at 09:08 AM.

    Winner of: Professor Layton Mafia, Warrior Cats Mafia, Kid Icarus Mafia, Star Wars Mafia,Legendary pokémon mafia, Make a Mafia, Smash Bros Mafia, Phoenix wright: Justice for all mafia and Eeveelution mafia
    Other games won: Vigilantes, Trauma Center: Virus attack


  15. #150
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,221

    Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

    Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    I'd say that she undoubtedly had a card that could help her restore her life points and beat Tron, but sadly, like nearly every other duel on the show where the card they need to win the duel doesn't show up, that particular card didn't come up. Tron was extremely lucky himself getting the card he needed to counter Droite's strategy. I do agree on how more time could have been devoted to her character prior to the duel to make her more sympathetic and interesting, but that clearly wasn't the writers' plan. All the pieces to make her one happened in that duel with the revelation of her love interest.
    She didn't act like she was waiting for another card. Droite acted like her combination was complete and was just trying to win the duel as quickly as possible. Tron did catch a lucky break, but he never acted like he was pushed into a corner, despite having a low amount of life points. I still don't think that throwing in her love motivation in her duel made her an interesting and sympathetic character. They really needed to flesh out her personality before her duel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    But unlike the other female characters who have a love interest that is used to solely inject comedy most of the time, Droite's is rather unique because it's not treated as a joke but a serious one where lives are at stake. Personally, Kotori is the only female character I'd say is particularly dull and uninteresting. There are minor female characters like Yuma's grandma and mom who don't have anything going for them other than being related to Yuma, but those don't appear that much so I'm not bothered.
    I don't think that makes it any better. One could argue that it makes Droite stands out more compared to Kotori and Cathy's roles as love interests, but her role still comes down to being in love with another main character and not having much of a fleshed out personality to make me care about either her as an individual or the relationship itself. I keep forgetting that Yuma's grandmother and sister are in this show.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    Well, she loved him for his caring character, strength, determination and strong willingness. Ask his fangirls, they love him for the same reason, only Droite is serious about it xD.
    I'm well aware of how Kaito's fangirls love him. I just find him overrated because of how his personality wore off on me and the annoying writing around him to make him so overpowered definitely didn't help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    I agree. If it was confirmed that she already loved him exactly before the roller coaster duel started, I would have felt compelled seeing her getting the life points she needed and going after Tron. Instead, her feelings came out in the duel. Though, she's the type of person to keep things to herself, so it comes off as no surprise that she wouldn't be open about it. I don't agree that it came out of nowhere since IIRC it was sort of implied that she was doing the job for a different job. Either way, she still compelled me and seeing her slowly fall on the ground after her failure and soul was taken still made me feel really bad for her.
    Having her feelings come out before the duel might have helped with at least more buildup to her duel against Tron, but I doubt it would have made me more compelled in her character. I agree that she keeps things to herself, but we still could have seen her admit it to herself before declaring it to Tron during their duel. I don't know if it was implied that she was doing the job for a different job. She showed concern for Kaito before, but it came off as being concern like a sister or mother would show, rather than a love interest, which is one reason why it felt like it came out of nowhere. I'll admit that seeing Droite collapse was kind of sad, but I couldn't really feel bad for her considering how little I was invested in the character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    You've come to the wrong series then. Seriously, we're watching a show were winning a children's card game(it is one in our world, but not in theirs) is the equivalent of saving somebody's life. The giant robot injuring people to force them to be better duellists isn't any dumber or ridiculous. Plus this must have been Dr. Faker and Mr. Hartland's idea, the two wackiest and craziest looking villains ever. The sadists inside of them must have loved to see them get injured. But like I've said, it was test to well... test them. Nobody would go that far unless they were really determined to be very loyal to Dr. Faker and Mr. Hartland. At least, that's how I personally see it.
    I'm fully aware of how winning a card game can save someone's life. Like I said, I've been a fan since DM, so I'm familiar with how ridiculous the methods and training for dueling can be. I just think that the robot used for training is even too ridiculous for a Yu-Gi-Oh! series and I don't really see the problem with thinking that. Even if Dr. Faker and Mr. Heartland enjoyed the duelists being injured, there are other methods where they could still do that without looking so stupid. Just dueling on-stop could injury the duelists considering how the AR Vision can send people flying across a room.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    She's also the entire reason why the roller coasters have 2 seats instead of 1. Honestly, if I was their designer and I knew that only 1 duellist would be on one of them, why make 2 seats? The roller coaster was even specifically built for the track, needing the heart container with all 5 heart pieces to be powered up and the map.
    Yeah, that was pretty annoying and it doesn't make sense that they would make the roller coasters with two seats. Not to mention the way she got into the roller coaster felt pretty contrived.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    I'd say that every character can have something added to them to make them face struggles and be more interesting. If Kotori started duelling and had a subplot, depending on that subplot, I may find her to be interesting. It's completely up to the writers if they want to let her keep on being walking scenery.
    Even though I could see that making Kotori a more interesting character, that's unfortunately a big if, especially when her role is clearly just to be the cheerleader/one of the obvious love interests of the group and they haven't bothered to explain why she doesn't duel now, despite how pretty much everyone else is the Zexal universe dueling. I wouldn't be against Kotori staring to duel and having some subplot that isn't related to Yuma, but I seriously doubt that the writers are going to go that route.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    I loved that duel and the hilarity that it ensued xD. Dog-chan sort of made sense with the big dog. If you think about it, this is the future, where evolution most likely happened to the dog, making him bigger. Some face evolution, some don't. The voice modifier is also nothing big. Regarding Cat-Chan, I think that she still needed to say it out loud and teach it to somebody. And, well, who could be any better than somebody who faced similar issues? With said person being a dog lover xD. The episode to me was funny, compelling and overall entertaining. It didn't need to affect the plot for me to care.
    I guess we have the opposite views on most of the ridiculous duels in this series. I can enjoy some silly duels, but I also have a limit and this one goes way over the line. It doesn't help that most of Zexal's attempt to be funny come off as stupid to me. I think that the evolution argument is a bit of a stretch considering that we don't know how far into the future this series takes place in and it's still completely stupid that not only could a dog duel for Dog-chan, but that she could enter the tournament through the dog. I still don't think it was really necessary for Cathy to teach this to Dog-chan, especially when nothing happened to Dog-chan afterwards anyway. This duel definitely wasn't compelling for me and it doesn't help that I kept forgetting that Cathy was even in the tournament before this episode. I couldn't really care about Cathy or Dog-chan and both the reason for and the duel itself were too ridiculous for my tastes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    Well, 8 years(it looked like that much time passed) are a long time xD. Besides, her stealing that someone else's position in the finals doesn't really matter since said someone wouldn't have standed a chance in winning. After seeing Tron come up like that, I'd think of staying out of it.
    I know that eight years is a long time. That still doesn't make Anna mixing up Yuma with her actual crush reasonable because they looked nothing alike, especially when she already spent so much time chasing him and Kotori through the city. Even though the person who originally had that position in the finals didn't have a chance of winning it, I don't think that excuses her behavior. It's still dishonest, mean and is basically what Tokunosuke, one of my least favorite characters in this series, tried to do twice with absolutely no regret. Doing anything to remind me of Tokunosuke is not a good sign, but stealing that spot in the finals to be with Yuma was just awful. I'm sure it was meant to be sweet or something like that because of her obvious feelings for Yuma, but I think that would only work if I didn't realize how dishonest she was being with breaking the rules. There's absolutely nothing in Anna's character that I like or find interesting.

Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •