Your (pet) peeves about Japan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your (pet) peeves about Japan

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Your (pet) peeves about Japan

There was a topic about things the posters hate about Japan, but it's old and almost two and a half years old (Link here), so I think I should be able to create a new topic about this, as I want to post something myself, but old topic was too old without calling it necromancy I think. So, anyway, here you can talk about your peeves about Japan, as in what are you irritated about them and what you dislike about them, as Japan is not a perfect country like any other country in the world.

For me, I am a bit bugged about the materialism in Japan, where physical things matter and there are even people who thought life ends when something material was not in favour to them (like failing a grade or didn't get the position they wanted). That kind of peer pressure is unnerving with the high standard of living. But then I suppose Japan is not Japan without this, but I am not comfortable with this.

I heard about a story where Japan used China's trees for their chopsticks (a good quality one which they insisted) for a low price, and when they are done, then they sold it back as good quality paper to China for a high price, which I am agitated to. I suppose this is normally how Japan get their profit, but the thought of making money off of precious trees from China is unnerving as well (Japan actually profit from this). This might be an old story and not a practice as of now, because I heard this from my mother who read it on a newspaper.

Anyway, so what are your peeves, or to a smaller extent, pet peeves about Japan?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your (pet) peeves about Japan

Do the Japanese-obsessed Westerners who think they're so worldly by knowing a different culture, yet know nothing about their own or any other one for that matter count?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    Do the Japanese-obsessed Westerners who think they're so worldly by knowing a different culture, yet know nothing about their own or any other one for that matter count?
    I am actually envisioning this topic to talk about things the posters are bugged or dislike about Japan, so I think that doesn't really count, but you do have a point.

I really don't like the idea of using the word "hate" to describe a country or group of people, so I'll just go with what I find annoying instead.

The racism has always bugged me. I understand why they're like that, but it's just not OK. Also, I'm not religious at all, but man they completely missed the point of Christmas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    I really don't like the idea of using the word "hate" to describe a country or group of people, so I'll just go with what I find annoying instead.

The racism has always bugged me. I understand why they're like that, but it's just not OK. Also, I'm not religious at all, but man they completely missed the point of Christmas.
    How do they missed the point on Christmas?

Blog Entries

Their end: Sexism/racism, living costs, education system, workplace environment

Yes, I know land is at a premium, but let's just say that an average Japanese's disposable income is far lower than here. $100 for a video game? $40 for a movie? No thanks.

Our end: weaboos

Yep. I went to Japan twice, and it's an absolutely wonderful place to visit, but to live? Hell no.
    Last edited by F-22; 24th August 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

Blog Entries

Moe anime, and their sexualization of little girls in general.

And yeah, on our end, japanophiles. Very interesting bunch...

The racism has always bugged me.
    Dunno if I'd call it racism. It's more like an extreme xenophobia.
    Baseball is wrong. Man with four balls can not walk. - Chinese Proverb

Eh, I'd say that xenophobia's a form of racism. But that is probably a better word for it.

@winstein-

For one, they only adopted the secular aspects of Christmas. Which I'm not really against, since most people in the states are pretty secular as well. So they have Santa and the red and green and stuff. But over there Xmas is moreso a romantic holiday between couples and the whole "family gathering and togetherness" thing is non-existant. It's basically Valentines Day with a festive theme.

But that just bugs me because it goes against my ideas of how Christmas should be celebrated. I suppose they should be allowed to celebrate a holiday however they choose but goddammit they're DOIN IT WRONG.

Breeder in Training la traviata's Avatar

The xenophobia has always frustrated me with Japan. And now that I'm looking at going there, I've found that the living costs are ridiculous, too - my study abroad program there is not going to be cheap because of it.

Platinum: 5113 8264 9303

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I am not a he View Post
    Their end: Sexism/racism, living costs, education system, workplace environment

Yes, I know land is at a premium, but let's just say that an average Japanese's disposable income is far lower than here. $100 for a video game? $40 for a movie? No thanks.

Our end: weaboos

Yep. I went to Japan twice, and it's an absolutely wonderful place to visit, but to live? Hell no.
    $100 for a video game. That's average in NZ. Some good as ones cost $120!

Follow Marik On Twitter Add Marik on Facebook
    Visit Marik's Youtube Channel

Really? The best video games are only $60 in America.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fate View Post
    Moe anime, and their sexualization of little girls in general.
    I agree with most of what's been said so far, but this is tops for me. It just creeps me the hell out. I mean geeze, what's the age of consent over there, 9?

Follow Marik On Twitter Add Marik on Facebook
    Visit Marik's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
    I agree with most of what's been said so far, but this is tops for me. It just creeps me the hell out. I mean geeze, what's the age of consent over there, 9?
    In Japan, about 5.

Blog Entries

I find the xenophobia somewhat disconcerting... but particuarly when coupled with the near reverence for certain things perceived as "western". It's very incongruous

Blog Entries

That most talk a different language.

I can’t take it anymore,
    Not with all the liars
    Like a prisoner of war

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast