Is there any anime that you dislike? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any anime that you dislike?

Default Re: Is there any anime that you dislike?

Deathnote is one I dislike. Well kinda.....after L dies the series just kinda went downhill for me.

Blog Entries

Visit Kira Akigari's Youtube Channel

I only dislike one thing
    ONE PIECE
    I really hate it really PIRATES not japanese type at all

First off I am quite aware that most if not all of the series on this list are very highly regarded among the otaku community, and I'm equally aware that many people all over the internet would instantly label me a troll for daring to say anything negative about them. So if you like any of these anime, that's fine, go ahead and like them... just keep I mind that I really, really don't.

- Fate/Zero. It obviously finds itself and its characters a lot more "fascinating" and "deep" than they really are (well, its non-Servant characters that is, I'll get to the Heroic Spirits in a second). This show is boring! I mean, I'm not some blood'n'guts-obsessed maniac who constantly demands ACTION!ACTION!ACTION!... but I at least expect stuff to actually happen from time to time. Oh, but when stuff finally does happen it's still filled with constant talking ripped from Philosophy 101 (e.g. the fight at the harbour).

While more stuff does happen in the second half of the series, that part is plagued by some huge anticlimaxes. Worst of all is Kiritsugu's backstory, which seems mainly built around people suddenly acting like idiots because the plot requires them to. The only sympathetic character is Kariya, yet even then it's hard to care what happens to him since you just know that he's going to fail.

Oh, and don't get me started on the Servants. It's painful to see the complex IRL character of Alexander the Great being reduced to a stereotypical Anime Big Guy (not to mention how the very basis of Ionian Hetaroi completely ignores what happened to him in India), Gilgamesh's entire character development in the original Epic is ignored (there's like, one vague mention of enkidy very late in the anime) while he's portrayed as a lazy oaf who wouldn't be a threat at all without Gate of Babylon, Hassan-i-Sabbah never mentions things like eagles or says "nothing is true; everything is permitted" (oh, but it's a different Hassan-i-Sabbah. That just makes it more groan-worthy), Gilles de Rais summoning Lovecraftian horrors is obviously there to look "cool" yet just ends up stupid, unfitting and self-indulgent of the author, the inclusion of another Irish Lancer is simply redundant, especially when Diarmuid is frequently made to look stupid just for believing in concept of 'honour', and King Arthur comes off as a total dullard. Oh and something about genderbending.

Oh yeah, this brings me to the tonnes of ridiculous powers like the Gate of Babylon, Ionian Hetaroi and said Lovecraftian horrors that are pretty much just there to look "cool" (or the author thinks they do anyway). Now in something like Sengoku Basara they'd probably be fine with me, but in an anime like Fate/Zero which takes itself very seriously they're horribly jarring and out-of-place.

...Too much, you think? Sorry, it's just that the Fate/ series in general, visual novels, light novels, PSP games, whathaveyou, seriously sickens me. Which is a shame, as the general concept of the Holy Grail War is great, easily the sort of thing I'd love to base an RPG around.

(One last thing before moving on. Since we're talking about horrible fanbases, you can't get much worse than Type-MOON fans. Not because they happen to like a writer I personally don't, but because they're just really nasty people in their own right. Seriously, I'd gladly endure a thousand shipping threads if it meant never having to go through another powerlevels thread ever again).

- To aru Majutsu no Index. I know, contradictory of me to say this considering my avatar (I originally used it for a modern version of Minamoto-no-Yoshitsune in a story once, and it sort of stuck), and like above, this series honestly has a really great premise, the whole "ESP based on science vs magic based on religion" thing sounds like a winner.

Yet not only does the series fail to capitalise on this premise until way too far in (the stories are always about either science or magic, but never both at once), the main character is easily the worst example of a Gary-Stu I've ever seen in anime (complete with "so-called flaw that never seriously impacts him"). I know the terms "Mary-Sue" and "Gary-Stu" are extremely overused, but there's really no other way I can describe this character, oh, apart from boring, ugly, preachy and predictable. Take note: rapid fire punches to the face following quirky Stand action=cool. Punching a guy's head and making it explode after dark yet oddly mournful catchphrase=cool. Punching a guy in the face with sucky catchphrase=lame. Just lame.

Or a girl in the face, can't forget that. Seriously, if you call yourself a feminist and believe violence against women is simply disgusting, then avoid this anime at all costs. Especially its second season.

The supporting cast hardly saves this series, they don't even try to hide what blatant stereotypes they are.

- The Haruhi Suzumiya series. Mentioned before I know, but I felt like I had to add my own piece. Even before Endless Eight, this anime was just really smug (in the "ooh, look at me, look how clever I'm being" way) and unpleasant to watch, the entire series basically consists of sucking up to this unlikable, unsympathetic person. "Oh, but she gets better in the light novels" Yeah, and promptly starts appearing less and less.

It doesn't help that Kyon is just as unlikable as Haruhi is, if not more. Not only is he constantly complaining and never being grateful or anything (either that or acting perverted), his ego is so insufferably large (he's easily the main source of the "look how clever I'm being" problem I mentioned before) that he truly deserves everything Haruhi inflicts upon him. Really my main problems with this series come from just how repulsive the two main characters are, if the show was just Itsuki, Yuki or Mikuru (though of course without the two mains they'd never have a reason to be together)... eh, it wouldn't be great or anything, but I could at least stomach it.

I think what angers me the most are the comparisons this series gets to (of all things) Doctor Who. Now the new series I could understand, but Classic Who, seriously?

- Pretty much anything Shinbo Akiyuki was ever involved in. Well okay, primarily Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Bakemonogatari and Puella Magi Madoka Magica: SZS for being insanely repetitive, outstaying its welcome and being way too reliant on catchphrases that were rarely funny to begin with, Bakemonogatari for somehow being even more smarmy than Haruhi was (and for coming off as a dumbed-down version of xxxHolic), and PMMM for feeling contrived, being way too reliant on cheap shock value (I'm sorry, are we supposed to feel for the death a character we've only known for an episode-and-a-half?) and treating its audience like easily-manipulated sheep who'll be wowed by anything (entropy, really?).

- Kara no Kyoukai. Not as bad as Fate/Zero, but still incredibly boring and self-obsessed. "Oh, but it's being philosophical" It's being boring, that's what it is. The only bearable films are Paradox Spiral (solely because stuff actually happens in that one) and Oblivion Recorder (due to the much needed lighter tone), everything else is snorefest-inducing.

- Durarara!! Man Narita, you sold out! Okay, even if it's set in the more stereotypical anime location of Modern Tokyo as opposed to the Great Depression, it's still jarring how dreary, plodding and even lifeless this series is. On paper the characters all sound completely crazy, so why do they come off so bland in the series itself? Even if I had no knowledge of Baccano! I still don't think I'd have liked this show much.

- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Alright, compared to the other series on this list, KHR isn't all that bad, just kinda boring. Now everybody says "wait until Ep 20, that's when the series really begins" but honestly, KHR isn't any better at being an action series than it is at being a comedy series. The Future Arc, which happens to span over half the anime, is when the dullfest truly hits, which is a shame as it showed quite a lot of promise to begin with.

Still, the cast of characters are some of the funniest and most enjoyable I've seen in any anime, making it a shame they rarely get any development once the comedy ends.
    Last edited by Romanesque-Marionette; 28th November 2012 at 06:02 AM.
    GIANT HOGWEED LIVES!

Follow miyoun On Twitter

i lol because the basis for not liking digimon is "cheap pokemon knock off". but digimon is a copy of a tamagotchi, not pokemon.

lol'd

anyway, i can't stand hetalia, or naruto. my best friend is REALLY into hetalia and as much as she says shes not "one of those fans" she really is now. and she messages me on fb sending me hetalia links knowing i wont watch them?

誰もが butterfly ぶった spider | twitter | last.fm

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Just thought I'd point out that we should probably stay away from the Pokemon vs Digimon stuff saying one is a rip off of the other or whatever to avoid a flame-war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Oddly enough, I like the anime more than the manga. Part of it could have been how I didn't read the manga until after I watched the anime for the first time and I really liked it, but I thought that the anime, while predictable with most of its twists and the comedy wasn't my cup of tea, but pretty good. There are a few aspects to the manga that I wish they did keep for the anime version, but I thought that the anime did a better job with the character interaction, the development for Himeno and made the villain feel more human by the end. Plus, I thought that there was much better payoff for all the buildup to the final battle and the conclusion was more satisfying for me.
    I still had a big problem with Himeno's stepsisters' roles, though....but, as I said, I did read the manga so my view is a bit skewed, I admit. I felt that the sisters were handled better for the manga. There was more to Mayune than playing tricks on Himeno (Mayune felt very one-dimensional for the anime) and Mawata seemed uncharacteristically emo (when she wasn't for the manga). I actually liked the original set up
    . I just felt it worked better given the story...and I already mentioned how I didn't like Sasame's change. I guess with Mawata, she had no real reason to be "emo" when she still had the attention and love of her mother. I guess if they would've left it as
    that twist wouldn't have worked for the anime.

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    I still had a big problem with Himeno's stepsisters' roles, though....but, as I said, I did read the manga so my view is a bit skewed, I admit. I felt that the sisters were handled better for the manga. There was more to Mayune than playing tricks on Himeno (Mayune felt very one-dimensional for the anime) and Mawata seemed uncharacteristically emo (when she wasn't for the manga). I actually liked the original set up
    . I just felt it worked better given the story...and I already mentioned how I didn't like Sasame's change. I guess with Mawata, she had no real reason to be "emo" when she still had the attention and love of her mother. I guess if they would've left it as
    that twist wouldn't have worked for the anime.
    Personally, I didn't care much for Mayune in either version, but I think I was annoyed more with her in the manga with how mean she could get. Although, I agree that she came off as pretty one-dimensional in the anime for the most part. As for Mawata, I was pretty much fine with how she was handled in the anime. She was more depressed in the anime than she was in the manga, but I thought it made sense given the setup and even with all of the love and attention from her mother, she could have felt too traumatized from all of those years of acting so together when she was shattered inside to really get it. That worked for me.

Blog Entries

Follow Sweet Veil on Tumblr

Sword Art Online, where do we begin on this one? Well the premise and plot of the show seems very cool and interesting on paper, a boy gets stuck inside a video game and has to fight through the game in order to get out. Unfortunately, I found it pretty bad and below-average. The biggest flaw that lags the whole damn show down is easily Kirito and Asuna's romance and the early "harem" episodes. Kirito would spend episodes bonding with different girls not to mention much screen time would be devoted to Asuna and Kirito grabbing ass or bonding in some form. Of course it's just so cliche, the action is alright but the romance is just terribad that I actually dropped the show after the first story was done.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

Oh, how could I forget SAO from my post? :p I can totally agree to that one; as I can't drop any series, I've kept myself up to date with it, though.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Do It For Him Enzap's Avatar Forum HeadModerator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Not really a fan of the Transformers animes. I don't know if I'd like it or not if it were a separate series, but it just wasn't TF to me.

Also I liked the first season of Bakugan all right, but it got really ridiculous fast. Somehow I can actually stand Beyblade. lol

Blog Entries

All of the DB series-
    STOP YELLING YOU UGLY BASTARDS!!!

All of Yu-gi-oh-
    I'm not a big fan of the concept. Plus, the monsters aren't cool. :I

Blog Entries
    Add Kutomba on Facebook
    Follow Kutomba on Tumblr

Naruto. My friends are all obsessed with it and it drives me up the wall.

I actually don't mind Hetalia that much. Some of it is absolutely painful to watch, but I love the concept too much to not watch it every once in a while.
    I kissed you in the water and made your dry lips sing
    I saw you look like a Japanese baby
    In an instant I remembered everything...

detective inspector me Momo Kisaragi's Avatar

Follow Momo Kisaragi on Tumblr

One Piece and Naruto.

I don't like the plot of One Piece and I just couldn't get in to Naruto.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    My favorite thing about Hetalia is reading about cos-players dressing up as Germany (complete with salutes) at a convention center right across from a Holocaust Museum lol.
    That is incredibly insulting to the victims of Nazism. I wonder how many of them are the grandchildren or great-grandchildren of World War II veterans.

Hetalia
    not because of the actual show, but its annoying fanbase(for the most part)

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Of course. All of the boring ones.

Watch Randy Cunningham 9th Grade Ninja!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast