Sword Art Online Discussion Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sword Art Online Discussion Thread

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Sword Art Online Discussion Thread

Sword Art Online

In the year 2022, the Virtual reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) Sword Art Online (SAO) is released. With the Nerve Gear, a VR Helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds. But an unexpected event occurs on November 6, 2022 when Akihiko Kayaba, the creator of SAO, prevents the players from logging out. Akihiko issues them a challenge; if they wish to be free and log out of the game, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, should their avatars die in the game, so will their bodies in the real world. As the game's 10,000 players try to accept their new deadly predicament, Kirito, a skilled player who tested the beta version of the game, is determined to reach the 100th floor and be free. Along with Asuna, his partner and love interest, and their friends, Kirito and his allies will face many obstacles and discovers the true purpose of SAO. As their adventure continues, they will also participate in other VRMMO games as well.
    Well, for the past week I've read through all 9 translated Light Novel Volumes and I can say this is top notch stuff.

A lot of people keep on comparing it to .Hack, which ironically was developed around the time the light novel was being published online in 2002.

As for the Anime, the first episode has been quite true to the source material. But based on calculations, some of the side stories may be shortened to keep within episode limits.

Still it's pretty emotional and philosophical at times. I do recommend it.
    Last edited by Netto Azure; 14th July 2012 at 12:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Sword Art Online Discussion Thread

I saw Episode 1 on cable TV today.... and it was an interesting concept. Actually getting trapped in an RPG world sounds thrilling.

But I hope this has a good plot to back it up. I haven't seen any or the original light novels, and the anime is the only subject for me.

Shining Tears X Wind had a similar concept to SAO. Although they hadn't openly stated that it was a game world, everything in there was downright based on RPG. It had swordfights and magic weilders, but the problem was that the anime tried to pull off a story that obviously needed more than 12 episodes. Like, they just tried to fit in a large story in such a short amount of screentime. Everything felt so... light. There was no seriousness, no such topics to deeply think about, or any atmospheric attitudes that gives you the thrills.

However, Shining Tears X Wind IS actually based on two RPGs called Shining Tears and Shining Wind. So I can't actually blame the story plot being written rather poorly. SAO, on the other hand, has its novel as a base, so I'm hoping for real development here.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

I love it, I loved the first episode and the opening is just amazing.

I'd also like to read the light novels, but I'm going to try and keep this one as surprise to me without any spoilers, maybe I'll read it later when it finishes airing. Though this definitely has potential and I love the concept behind this show.

I'll be definitely sticking with this until the very end!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    I love it, I loved the first episode and the opening is just amazing.

I'd also like to read the light novels, but I'm going to try and keep this one as surprise to me without any spoilers, maybe I'll read it later when it finishes airing. Though this definitely has potential and I love the concept behind this show.

I'll be definitely sticking with this until the very end!
    That's great, you'll defiinitely feel more satisfied that way, the Light Novels have more information and a lot of introspective dialouge that allows you to see into Kirito's thoughts more.

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    I saw Episode 1 on cable TV today.... and it was an interesting concept. Actually getting trapped in an RPG world sounds thrilling.

But I hope this has a good plot to back it up. I haven't seen any or the original light novels, and the anime is the only subject for me.
    Oh it has great plot to back it up. I can't spoil it much so I recommend reading the light novels. :3

Blog Entries

I can't wait to see Asuna and her personality. <3

I'll also admit that, despite not having read the light novels, I took a long peek into chapter 16.5. xD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    I can't wait to see Asuna and her personality. <3

I'll also admit that, despite not having read the light novels, I took a long peek into chapter 16.5. xD
    Something I made to show some "KiriAsu" love, One of the best Pairings I've seen in like forever.

A truly envious relationship.

Episode 2 thoughts: Kiribao is such a douch, hate him a bit...not as much as some other guy but still.

Anyways KIRIASU ENDING I LUVZ U. <3

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

Eh, ep. 1 wasn't bad. The premise is quite similar to .hack//SIGN, another series I enjoyed quite a lot. Not seen ep. 2 yet due to I don't jump on the first possible chance available but instead staying loyal to what release channel I chose to follow.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulweaver View Post
    Eh, ep. 1 wasn't bad. The premise is quite similar to .hack//SIGN, another series I enjoyed quite a lot. Not seen ep. 2 yet due to I don't jump on the first possible chance available but instead staying loyal to what release channel I chose to follow.
    I have to say this, SAO published online at the same time .Hack was being developed...so please judge each by their own merits. XDDDD

A lot of people are bashing LOL

Blog Entries

After watching the first 2 episodes, it became something I wanted to watch. It has an interesting setting and Kirito is a cool protagonist, doing what he had to do to keep the group of players together.
    [[[[[<>>>>=====+++++~~~~~Wave~~~~~+++++=====<<<<>]]]]]

|||||!!!!!////---+++===Weekly Song===+++---\\\\!!!!!|||||

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Wow, this is late. But I wanted to bring up a few things with the latest episode.

Last edited by Karamazov; 8th August 2012 at 11:24 AM.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    Wow, this is late. But I wanted to bring up a few things with the latest episode.

Answers:

Episode 6 Preview is out.

Blog Entries

Just saw episode 7 it was pretty cool. Problem is

Well I should saw that coming because of its wikipedia genre discription but damn Kirito getting overpowered I mean I like his personality so guess it's fair but he's getting to pants-ie by that I mean kinda like Bella Swan. A insult to Bella Swan is some people call her pants because the audience is suppose to imagine themselves as her. That auto regeneration pwning in episode four was just TOO badass since everyone has the same rules and there in the game just as much (as in ALL the time) okay skill beta testing and mental condition are factors but they been there for so long that everyone should be closer and unskilled people would die anyway. I mean scientifically you master something after 100,000 hours. I guess how stupid it was depends on the time passed anyone remember what year episode 4 was on?

But I still like him as a character so it's forgivable. Like the emotional scenes in episode 7 it makes it seem very real
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

Ah, I just watched episode 8.

I honestly think it was well-paced in regards to the novel and I found it pretty enjoyable. I'm draining every bit of Asuna x Kirito interactions and hoping that the relationship they'll eventually form doesn't seem to rushed or forced. Though, they seem to be doing a good job with the adaptation so far. But I really wanna see a nice and hardcore animated battle - so hopefully, the battle against The Gleam Eyes will be a treat for our eyes. ^^

And the boob-groping scene was priceless. :D

Blog Entries

Any one else get the feeling that the anime is very realistic when it comes to how people would act under that scenario the personality sides, the humor, the giving up, the fighting hard the arguing I'd go as far to say it handles it as well if not better than the first season of Digimon. Kinda feel sorry for the body guard he was pissed which again goes back to my problem with Kirito being too strong I actually thought I was going to see a evenly match fight looked that way too but nope breaks the sword just like that. Hope he gets stronger later on or at least die with some dignity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

Well yeah, we finally got to start with the main story, I do have a question for the Anime-only viewers, how do you think the reception for SAO would be if Episode 8 was Episode 2 (We skip the Side Stories) like in Volume 1 of the Light Novels?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast