Strangest / funniest dub edits...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Strangest / funniest dub edits...

Default Strangest / funniest dub edits...

So we all know that a lot of editing / censorship is done to the dubs.
    So in this thread, don't talk about just any edits... there's way too many to list. But discuss which edits really stand out as strange or funny.

Here are my thoughts:

- A strange / completely pointless edit was removing the dragon from the intro of the Toonzai Dragon Ball Z Kai. First off, I don't know why the Toonzai version is more censored than the Nicktoons version... I highly doubt that there are any fans who watch only the Toonzai version and never watch the Nicktoons version (unless they are in an area where Nicktoons is not available). And that particular edit is completely pointless for various reasons. First, what's so wrong about a dragon that requires censorship anyway? Second, the show is titled Dragon Ball Z Kai. Obviously there's some connection to a dragon and viewers know that just from the title. Lastly, the dragon is shown in the actual episode like 10 minutes after the intro. Why is it not okay to show him in the intro but it is okay to show him in the episode?

- A funny edit was in (I think) the 4Kids dub of One Piece. In the original the pirates were drinking grog and falling over drunk... in the edit the pirates were drinking grapefruit juice and passing out from "acid indigestion", lol

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Default Re: Strangest / funniest dub edits...

I always find it funny when 4Kids would change riceballs to sandwiches or call them doughnuts in Pokemon. I mean, really, what was the point? Riceballs exist. XD

In an episode of Sailor Moon, Serena went to get a glass of juice at a party and it was actually alcohol and she acted drunk. In the English dub, Serena drank it and they didn't acknowledge that it was alcohol, even though she acted drunk. They said it was because she drank too much juice that she acted all loopy.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

A lot of Pokemon things qualify, such as the editing of Satoshi's Hoenn badge case so it didn't have a Poke Ball on the front.... What was the point of that?

Gardevoir Enthusiast Okami Takahashi's Avatar
    Follow Okami Takahashi On Twitter
    Follow Okami Takahashi on Tumblr

Here's a horrifying one from the 4Kids One Piece-

Riceballs were blatantly edited into cookies. COOKIES. And guns? GREEN SQUIRT GUNS!!! Poison Darts? No, poison suction cups!

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Digimon Frontier - Ranamon is supposed to be this cutesy girl with a high pitch, but they switched her to a woman with a Southern accent... -.-

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

In Digimon Adventure, Izzy (because Koushiro wouldn't do half the idiocies his dub persona does :P) thought Tentomon had evolved into Steve Jobs the first time around. He's quite the Pineapple fan, I guess!

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Samurai Pizza cats. Just, the whole thing...
    Bandit Keith likes this.

I've heard that in One Piece there is a guy smoking a lot. The cigarette was removed, but the smoke is still there, so he has a cloud of smoke round him all the time.

Other strange edits are in the old Pocket Monsters movies, in Mewtwo Strikes Back and, I think, Raikou, Legend of Thunder. In Mewtwo Strikes Back they have cut the sides of the screen, to make it look full screen instead of wide, and in Legend of Thunder, which is full screen, they added a fake letterbox (by cutting the top and bottom) to make it look widescreen.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

The Disney dub of Kiki's Delivery Service changes coffee to hot chocolate, for some reason. Made especially weird when characters are seen adding sugar cubes to it.

Disney's dub of Castle in the Sky, likewise, randomly changes the name of the magical stone substance from "volucite" to "aetherium". Also somewhat odd is the apparent aging-up of the two lead characters from their preteens to their mid-teens.
    Momoka likes this.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

A cute little robot girl. Satoshi-kun's Avatar Social Media Deputy Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Satoshi-kun On Twitter Add Satoshi-kun on Facebook
    Follow Satoshi-kun on Tumblr Visit Satoshi-kun's Youtube Channel

An old dub of Dragonball Episodes 1-13 had a lot of odd edits, because they were trying to market the show at what appeared to be very young age groups. Things such as drawing stools and flowers and other things over Goku's naughty parts during the many moments that he's nude in the series. But the most fun edits involve Oolong.

Oolong turns into a fish and jumps into a lake to get away from Goku and Bulma. To catch him, Bulma puts a pair of her panties on a fishhook and catches Oolong. In the edit, a wad of dollar bills was painted over the panties.

Some episodes later, Oolong makes a wish to the dragon for the panties off a hot babe. The dub changes it to him saying "the world's most comfortable pair of underwear." In the original, a pair of panties with a bow on them falls down. The dub's edit draws the dragon over the bow. Would do some comparison screencaps if I could find where the hell my Kidmark Dragonball set was.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

One Piece 4Kids dub: "Poison Suction Cups" anyone? Also, from the same dub was the fact that the navy used squirt guns, exactly in what country does the navy use SQUIRT GUNS!?

And in the first episode of the Toonzai version of Dragon Ball Z Kai, the farmer shoots a blue energy blast from his gun, um... what?
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Follow Usagi-Zakura on Tumblr Visit Usagi-Zakura's Youtube Channel

That weird gun...hammer...thing from an early One Piece episode. Seriously what IS that thing?

And as mentioned above, the riceballs in Pokèmon. Basically any edit which just seems to have been done to hide the fact that the show is Japanese. Would the kids get horrified by learning there's food out there that isn't American? Don't they have Asian resturants in America? Is this what American donuts look like?
    Or are 4Kids just a bunch of trolls who make up edits just to confuse people?

The Removal of the Safari zone from Pokèmon. Not just because they removed it, but the episodes basically went like this "Lets go to the Safari zone!" "I sure can't wait to get to the Safari Zone!" "Wasn't the Safari Zone great guys?" "I have 30 Tauros now".
    Where did those Tauros come from? WHy don't they ever GO to the Safari zone after foreshadowing it for so long? If all you know of Pokèmon is the American version you will never know. 4Kids: Creating massive plotholes one anime at a time.

Several lines from Digimon:
    - "We have a problem, they don't allow animals at the block!" said by Kari when Gatomon devolves into Salamon. Kari has a pet cat.
    - "I even miss my little brother!" said by Mimi who is an only-child.
    - "I used to look up to you, but now that I know that you're my sworn enemy I can only say one thing...YOUR MOTHER IS A MAN!" Possibly one of the times when the Norwegian dub is even more retarded than the English one. I believe the saban line goes along the line of "You can keep your stupid autograph!" Said by Davis when he discovers the Digimon Emperor's true identity.
    The Norwegian version also changes several digimon's names early on in the series only to forget about it later own and referring to them by their English names.

Saban can probably beat 4Kids in terms of really stupid edits. One of their ideas involved taking three unrelated Digimon TV-specials and releasing them all as Digimon the Movie, while making up stupid edits to make them part of the same story while cutting out half the plot of The Golden Digimentals (Despite mentioning it at the back of the VHS which confused the heck out of me as a kid) I would also mention Gatomon and Patamon evolving into mega-form out of nowhere, releasing the golden digieggs and then de-evolving...but that happens in the Japanese version too.

Another dub-induced plot hole form Saban's Digimon dub includes an episode where the gang is attacked by Myotismon and Sora isn't letting Biyomon fight. Why? Well she does seem kind of sick but WHY is she sick? We never saw her get attacked by anything?
    Explanation: In the Japanese version Biyomon is attacked by Picodevimon's Pico-darts, all mention of this attack has been removed from the dub due to them resembling syringes. Understandable but it makes the entire conflict useless... Until the next episode's flashback where Tai suddenly mentioned that Biyomon was attacked.

I also don't understand why names are changed so much in American dubs. Sometimes I can understand them, but other times...
    From Digimon:
    Tailmon-Gatomon: Does kids in America speak better Italian than English?
    Wallace-Willis: He's already American!
    Taichi Yagami-Tai Kamiya: Ken Ichijouji can stay, Tai gets his named shortened and his last name changed from one Japanese-sounding name to another. They're not even pretending the show is set in America so why bother changing their names? Unless kids are too stupid to remember three more letters?
    Norwegian Monochromon-De Ensfargede: Directly translated it means the single-colored. Monchromon is black and white. That's two. Also it doesn't end with mon (every other Digimon name does even in the Norwegian version) and is only used for one episode.
    Last edited by Usagi-Zakura; 18th April 2012 at 02:31 PM.
    matt0044 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi-Zakura View Post
    Taichi Yagami-Tai Kamiya: Ken Ichijouji can stay, Tai gets his named shortened and his last name changed from one Japanese-sounding name to another. They're not even pretending the show is set in America so why bother changing their names? Unless kids are too stupid to remember three more letters?
    I think I read somewhere that they changed Taichi's surname because "Yagami" can be read backwards as "I'm a gay". Not saying that justifies it at all, but there it is.

Here's another weird Pokémon dub edit: in Holiday Hi-Jynx, Santa is changed rather dramatically. In the original Japanese version, he doesn't recognize Jessie at first, and later explains that he failed to return her doll to her because she had moved and he didn't know where she lived anymore. In the dub, to be more consistent with his American characterization, he does recognize Jessie on-sight and explains that he failed to return her doll because she no longer believed in him, rendering him powerless to visit her. This creates a plot hole—if Jessie no longer believes in Santa, why is she obsessed with capturing him?

The episode following this, Snow Way Out, is also cut rather severely to remove shots of characters lighting matches. Whaaa....?

This is to say nothing of the placement of the episodes within the rotation, which makes Charizard appear to de-evolve back into Charmander for two episodes.
    matt0044 and gekkouga like this.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

In Yu-Gi-Oh! 5d's, Kiryu(Kalin) in the Crash Town arc plays his harmonica, that sounds wonderful. In the 4kids dub, for some reason they change it to make it sound like a two year old was playing on a fake harmonica. Really, what was the point?

Also, I think in Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, they change the song(Haruto's theme, sort of) Kaito was humming. In the Japanese it sounds so awesome, why change that? You do NOT do that to my Kaito.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka On Twitter
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

In Korean dub of Digimon Adventure 02 (or was it the 1st series), Sora Takenouchi's career as a fashion designer specializing in kimonos was omitted out.
    I can understand the two countries not being so friendly but really, not like Korean kids can't tell hanbok and kimono apart... -_-;

FC: 2294-4703-4926 | 제노바
    Friend Safari Info: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchfinder)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast