Sailor Moon anime licensed for North America. ALL OF IT

Thread: Sailor Moon anime licensed for North America. ALL OF IT

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Sailor Moon anime licensed for North America. ALL OF IT

Viz Media announced today that they have the rights to the Sailor Moon anime. That's the entire Sailor Moon anime, including both the forthcoming new series and the entire original run, comprising 200 episodes, three movies and various movie shorts and TV specials.

For fans like me who've long assumed the show to be unlicensable (due to a mess of rights ownership and general reluctance by Toei), this is a huge, huge, deal.

Viz will be remastering the old episodes for a DVD and Blu-Ray release, and are recording an all-new dub. The previous dub, while it had its charm, did a lot of things common to mid-nineties TV anime dubs, including changing the names of most of the characters, altering the setting to make it seem more American, and cutting anything that was too violent or suggestive. The most notable victims were the show's many LGBT characters, who ended up gender-flipped or otherwise de-gayed (Sailors Uranus and Neptune were stated to be cousins rather than lovers, though the production company didn't otherwise alter many of their scenes together, leaving viewers with the impression that these cousins were... kind of into each other). Viz have promised that the new translations will be completely faithful to the originals.

While the new dubs are just now being recorded, Viz plan on releasing the remastered subbed versions of the episodes on Hulu... starting on Monday. The first four episodes will be up on Monday, with two per week after that. The new anime will run parallel to the old starting in July, and the first DVDs are due out this fall.

Any old anime fans here who are as excited as I am? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY EXCITED, JUST SAYING.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Sailor Moon anime licensed for North America. ALL OF IT

I'm just amazed that this even happened. I thought that Crystal would be licensed out, but I wasn't sure about the original series and even then, I thought that Funimation would get the license if that did happen. I'm totally fine with Viz Media. Giving the series the redub is desperately needed, releasing the series on DVD and Blu-ray, streaming the sub version online and providing a simulcast for Crystal is fantastic. I'm sure that those DVDs and Blu-ray sets will sell like hotcakes, especially when it's been so long since the series was available on DVD. Having the subbed version legally available is also awesome. I'm quite curious as to who they'll get for the new cast. This is fantastic huge news.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post

Any old anime fans here who are as excited as I am? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY EXCITED, JUST SAYING.
    This and the Cardcaptor Sakura Blu-ray Collection being announced for the US has literally made my year. Two of my favorite Magical Girl series? Oh my god, I think I'm gonna have a heart attack.

And I also think my student bank account is going to go down the shitters this year. No regrets. ;_;
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 18th May 2014 at 11:30 AM.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

I am also pretty excited myself since this is coming tomorrow on hulu, to which I subscribed to with my account first chance I got. Now like One Piece, and Naruto Shippuden, I'll be watching the Sailor Moon episodes being uploaded to Hulu each week.

I am also inclined to do the SM manga, and also work on finishing my Yu Yu Hakusho projects (out of respect since Naoko Takeuchi married Yu Yu Hakusho's creator Yoshihiro Togashi).

Returning to Hoenn LavenderTownGhost's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow! I am so stoked to hear this, and also excited for the new anime. Glad to hear it's in good hands.
    "Halloween is every day!" -Sharon Needles

Banner made by Instrutilus

How did I miss this thread? That is FANTASTIC and a dream come true for me! <3

Humanity's Stongest Shiny Celebi's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter

This was all over tumblr. Im pretty excited about this especially considering the redub. Also pretty excited they got Sailor Moon Crystal. This was the first anime I watched ever. I'll need to start watching it on Hulu(Ive been meaning to before Crystal started)

Move along, move along Fairy Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky on Tumblr

Some new info has recently popped up about the dub cast and the fall Blu-Ray and DVD releases!

You can check out the full dub cast here. Also, Viz Media has so far uploaded videos of Usagi, Luna, Queen Beryl, and Jadeite with their dub voices. I'm... personally not a huge fan of the dub voices, but I don't necessarily hate them, either. Usagi's voice reminds me too much of Iris's voice from the Pokémon anime, though, and that's throwing me off a little.

In addition to that, we now know that the Limited Edition Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Set and the Standard DVD Set will both be available 11 November! Here's what you can find in both sets:

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeNewsNetwork
    [Limited Edition Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Pack]: Special set contains 23 episodes on 3 Blu-ray discs and 3 DVDs that are packaged in a premium shimmery rainbow foil-accented chipboard box. Set also includes a collectable full-color 88-page SAILOR MOON booklet filled with art, character profiles, episode guides and more. Episodes are presented in 1080p High Definition with a 4x3 native aspect ratio, and English and Japanese stereo audio and available English subtitles; a ‘signs and songs’ subtitle track will also be included. An interactive art gallery along with an exclusive all-new behind the scenes footage and special SAILOR MOON convention panel footage and trailers are also included.

[Standard Edition DVD Set]: Set features Season One, Part 1 (Episodes 1-23) on 3 DVDs offered in a full-color, elegant foil-accented O-card cover package. English and Japanese stereo audio is available, along with English subtitles and a ‘signs and songs’ subtitle track. Standard DVD set also includes an announcement convention reel.
    And if you pre-order the Combo Pack from Right Stuf, you get a special coin with your order while supplies last. While I wish there was a little more going on, I like the simplicity of the box art for the Combo Pack! I'm not too concerned about the additional coin gift, but I may still pre-order early to see if I can get one. But overall I'm really excited to finally own this series on DVD, I'm going to be such a happy camper once I have the complete series, especially in this uncut and remastered version! :)

Get your wallets ready, everyone!

3DS Friend Code: 5086-1398-3204 ▪|▪ 3DS/Pokémon X/Pokémon ΩR Name: Ricky
    Friend Safari: Steel - Klefki, Ferroseed, Forretress
    Claims: Lucario & Lucarionite ▪|▪ Teravolt ▪|▪ Fusion Bolt ▪|▪ Red Orb ▪|▪ Boutique [Pokémon X/Y]

I know that the new Sailor Moon dub will be using the same company as Bleach's english dub so it wouldn't be too hard to recognize their voices if I ever watch this.

Besides I really hope this will be a faithful anime dub as I never liked watching bad English dubs or those that aren't faithful to the original (like 4Kids or Funimation back in the old days).

I love Stephanie Sheh as Usagi Tsukino. She nails the character perfectly. I can't wait to hear her in later episode when things get more serious.

Michelle Ruff as Luna is odd at first but I like it. She sounds like a mother who can read her child like a book. Or maybe a precocious little sister who "knows best."

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

Blog Entries

How the hell did I not know about this?! This is great! I was hoping we'd get a dub of Crystal, but the whole series re-dubbed?! That's fantastic!

I was caught way off guard when Luna called Serena, "Usagi". I really was not expecting them to really be doing an actual re-dub with all the Japanese names and everything. I mean, I guess I was, but Usagi being Serena is just so stuck in my mind. As for voices, seeing Sailor Moon and hearing Hinata/Yui/Orihime and the etc. of Stephanie Sheh was a bit weird at first, but she fits Serena's character so well that I can't really see anyone else doing it. Luna's voice is a pretty harsh difference, but I like it all the same. Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite is just yes. And then Kate Higgins and Christina Vee as Mercury and Mars, respectively, is so great!! They fit the roles perfectly.

I can't believe how hyped I've gotten just be seeing a few clips. I'm flashing back to my childhood and it's beautiful. :'C

Okay. Liam O'Brian's in it? Yep. I'm sold. Please give now.
    Last edited by Team Gaara; 4th October 2014 at 09:39 PM.

Hearing the Japanese names doesn't surprise me so I've known about them for so long since back in the day I read the summaries for the episodes and movies for the Japanese version even before Cloverway did their dub of S and Super S.

UPDATE: Anime News Network just released a list of name for the English Dub cast for Sailor Moon R and Ash Ketchum's former english voice actress Veronica Taylor has been confirmed as the new voice actress for Sailor Pluto.

NEW UPDATE: Interview: Lauren Landa and Erica Mendez, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus - Anime News Network

Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune's new English Voice actresses have been confirmed: Lauren Landa as Sailor Neptune, and Erica Mendez as Sailor Uranus.

Blog Entries

I've never seen the anime (yet) but I have read the manga and it is really good! I'm going to watch it soon, hopefully!