Rozen Maiden Discussion Thread

Thread: Rozen Maiden Discussion Thread

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Rozen Maiden Discussion Thread

The 4 Rozen Maiden titles. Starting from the left, Rozen Maiden (2004), Rozen Maiden: Träumend (2005), Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre (2006), and Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Rozen Maiden (ローゼンメイデン, Rōzen Meiden?) is a manga series created by art-duo Peach-Pit. The story centers on Jun Sakurada, a young hikikomori boy that forms a bond with Shinku, a living doll of the "Rozen Maiden" series, who was created by the mysterious dollmaker Rozen hundreds of years ago. The series examines the living habits and personality of each of the Rozen Maidens whom Jun encounters, as well as their quest to become the perfect girl, named "Alice".
    Rozen Maiden was originally serialized in Monthly Comic Birz from 2002 to 2007 and in English by Tokyopop from 2006 to 2008. A new manga series started in April 2008, now in Weekly Young Jump, but still published monthly. The manga was adapted as a two-season anime: Rozen Maiden, airing from October to December 2004, and Rozen Maiden: Träumend, from October 2005 to January 2006. A following two-part special, Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre, aired on December 2006. The anime held various differences from the original plot of the manga. An upcoming new series titled, Rozen Maiden:Zurückspulen was announced in November 2012, set to premiere in July 2013

The recent Rozen Maiden (2013) differs from the previous seasons since it is based on the manga. Thus, it doesn't matter if you've seen the previous Rozen Maiden anime or not - but at least a minimum amount of knowlege on the manga is necessary, especially if you were confused with the first episode of Rozen Maiden (2013)

The first episode of Rozen Maiden (2013) was a recap of all major events from the manga volume 1 to volume 7 (Based on the Shueisha/Young Jump Comics, which is the 2nd edition. If you count the Gentousha/Birz Comics which is the 1st edition, then it is 8 volumes in total). Basically, it squeezed 7 comic books in a 24 minute episode - so it's not surprising that the pacing was extremely quick, and many were confused on the sudden turn of events every 5 minutes. Even though I knew the plot, I had to go back and check the manga to refresh my memory.

However, starting from episode 2, things started to slow down. Focusing on the story after the 7th volume, they are now depicting plenty of details and taking it a bit slow. I liked what they did with episode 2 - they took time to show Jun's character and personality as a college student, and the mystery of the doll parts being delivered to him. They're making a firm base to build the next part of the story on, so I'm looking forward to how they'll do from here.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Default Re: Rozen Maiden Discussion Thread

I'm pretty confused about the protagonist in episode 2. Is it supposed to be Jun like from episode 1 but older? Because it looks nothing like him.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    I'm pretty confused about the protagonist in episode 2. Is it supposed to be Jun like from episode 1 but older? Because it looks nothing like him.
    Yeah, it's his older self. But the plot is sort of complicated.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    Yeah, it's his older self. But the plot is sort of complicated.
    I'm not confused by that so much as just why his hair changes color and he loses the glasses...

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

@Enzap; well... people change when they age XDD