Pirated Anime - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirated Anime

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pirated Anime

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun View Post
    Hmm, I've owned a few pirated sets in my lifetime. I have a 3-cd set of Kanto bootlegs a friend bought for me when he was in China a few years back. Crappy quality, old .rm format... Chinese dubbed (badly dubbed as well), and subbed also. Don't know why... lol go figure.

I also have a bootleg set of Panyo Panyo Di Gi Carat, Cowboy Bebop, Fist of the North Star movie, Initial D Stage 2, first part of Naruto (forget how many episodes) and Serial Experiments Lain. I think I might have some old vhs bootlegs lying around as well. Basically if I see a boot set at Goodwill or the local used music/movie store, and if it's a good price, I'll buy it. The video quality usually sucks ass, and sometimes you get some pretty crappy subs (sometimes you get some really good subs though, and sometimes you get the official dub track as well).
    My bootleg copy of Sailor Moon S is actually direct copies of the real deal sub/dub DVD set (but compressed to fit more episodes per disc).

Oh and no idea if this counts but I found a fansubbed VHS copy of the Sailor Moon SS movie in a thrift shop once. The translation/grammar is pretty good so I think it's actually just a really old sub from before the movie was dubbed.

Blog Entries

I own the complete collection of Mazinger Z pirated. The english subtitles are horrible, but better then the only other sub available for it.
    One thing that got me is how they would constantly change each character's name with each dvd. They had the names right in the subtitles at first, so I don't know what they were thinking.

I have a crapload of bootlegged Anime DVDs, but in my defense, I was 13 years old when I started really getting into anime (so about 8-9 years ago). Anime was rare. Suncoast was one of the only mainstream places that sold anime, and they wanted 30 bucks for 4-5 episodes of a series, so naturally I was drawn into buying the Chinese Bootleg Boxes. 20-25 bucks for a series or part of a series (usually 25-35 eps.) was a dream come true.

Probably the funniest boxset I ever got, in terms of subtitle quality, was the Yugioh Battle City box set. Those are the worst subtitles I have ever laid eyes on. XD They called Kaiba "Seahorse" and Mokuba "Wooden Seahorse". I'd have to watch it again to pull out some more terribad stuff, but gawd, that was just hard to read. I spent more time laughing at the subtitles then anything.

31/31/31/17/28/31

I win.

Next up: Scyther

Blog Entries

sorry about the triple posts ok btw pirated anime looks weird that the original
    the new and improved pokemon master

When I first started purchasing DVD's of my favorite series, I ended up purchasing a bootleg box set of Death Note (from eBay). Luckily I noticed the error before it had shipped and promptly informed the seller that I didn't want his/her bootleg products, I quickly got my money back. It was a beginner mistake on my part for not researching to see if it was real or not but I, like many other buying anime for the first time, had no idea this was such an issue. The seller argued that it was legit when it obviously was not. But due to the fact that the seller refunded my money so quickly lead me to believe that they knew they had sold me a fake and did not want to bring attention to themselves by giving me problems.

tl;dr, make sure to spend a bit of time on Google before throwing down money for your shows, look for guides on how to spot fakes on eBay even if you might not be purchasing on there as they seem the most thorough.

(I really hate these Chinese bootlegs X_X)

Blog Entries

im sorry about the triple posts but i do not think pirated anime is very good some is real poor quality
    the new and improved pokemon master

Follow Daxdiv On Twitter

I think out of all the anime DVD sets I own, this 3 disc set of Berserk that contains all 25 episode is a pirated copy, seeing as how I can only find it on one online store and that two reviews of it say that it's pirated/bootleg copy.

I bought it without knowing about it a few years ago, due to it being so cheap. I guess the statement "if a deal is too good to be true, it is" didn't kick in for me. But I do plan on spending the money on the remastered set soon enough so I can own it legally and give the dubbing company my money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12