Pirated Anime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Pirated Anime

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    158
    Blog Entries
    42

    Question Pirated Anime

    I'm not a big anime watcher, but I have an interesting question: Have any of you ever owned bootleg/pirated anime?

    My older sister used to have this pirated DVD of an anime called Gravitation. The anime was in Japanese, but it had English subtitles. However, it was translated badly. The characters were given weird names - mostly fake Chinese-sounding ones, like Kwan Ying and Lingka. My personal favorite was Kimchi (I think that's what it was) - which is actually a type of Korean pickled vegetable dish!

    I don't know if it's still there. I haven't seen it in 4 years.

  2. #2
    ★ Prince of Ampora ★ Takoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South-East England
    Posts
    2,385
    Blog Entries
    8
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    I used to have a pirated Pokémon video. Brought it from a car boot sale or something, had an official looking case, but all the episodes on it were just tapped from the channel Sky One. xD Not sure if that counts.

    ~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

  3. #3
    Yare Yare Daze Lysandre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,603
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I have a Pikachu toy that scares me to death, an obvious fake. It is the "Singing Dancing PUFFY!!". It's a Pikachu that stands on one of those bird-stools like the talking parrot toys, and he has drums and drumsticks. He also has a nice header over him that says "PUFF!!". When you hit a button on him, he spazzes out, his ears swing at random, his head goes all Exorcist, and he slams the drums out of rhythm with one of three English nursery rhymes he sings in a horrible Southern accent that sounds like Barney-gone-to-Tennessee over a banjo background.

    I thought it was funny before I got it and saw how scary it is XD

  4. #4
    rewrites your life Soulweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    West Finland
    Posts
    6,798
    Blog Entries
    99
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    I have a Mewtwo Strikes Back, which has English voice and badly translated Finnish subtitles. We got it from a cruiser, I think. Of course, the official VHS was with Finnish voice.

    Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

  5. #5
    Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,471
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    I generally don't buy bootlegs, although I have a few Sailor Moon DVDs that are bootlegged because I can't afford to spend ~$250 on one season of an out-of-print TV series... T_T And when they WERE in print i was like, 13 so i couldn't afford them. I do have a fair number of legitimate SM VHS, though.

    Oh, and my brother has a badly translated subtitled version of the F-Zero anime on DVD, haha.

  6. #6
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Transgender
    Location
    Where both beef and dreams are super-sized
    Posts
    7,901
    Blog Entries
    99

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    I have a quite obviously pirated DVD of Pokemon.

    For starters, the box shows the Japanese logo for the show and they put POCK-E-MON KANTO LEAGUE in English over it. And it was in Japanese with (surprisingly accurate, save for a couple of spelling errors, like they spelled "legendary" as "lengedary") subtitles. I still have it.

    It contained - EP001, EP002, EP006, EP035, EP012, and EP038. (Srsly)

  7. #7
    i am awesumo katey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    142
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    i have watched it and it was gay

  8. #8
    i am awesumo katey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    142
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    one time i brought A pirated game it didnt even fit into my gba

  9. #9
    i am awesumo katey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    142
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    naruto sucks

  10. #10
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Transgender
    Location
    Where both beef and dreams are super-sized
    Posts
    7,901
    Blog Entries
    99

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    Dude, don't triple post. -_-"

  11. #11
    Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,471
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko Heiwa View Post
    I have a quite obviously pirated DVD of Pokemon.

    For starters, the box shows the Japanese logo for the show and they put POCK-E-MON KANTO LEAGUE in English over it. And it was in Japanese with (surprisingly accurate, save for a couple of spelling errors, like they spelled "legendary" as "lengedary") subtitles. I still have it.

    It contained - EP001, EP002, EP006, EP035, EP012, and EP038. (Srsly)
    Randomest assortment of episodes ever, haha.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    158
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Pikachu View Post
    Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I have a Pikachu toy that scares me to death, an obvious fake. It is the "Singing Dancing PUFFY!!". It's a Pikachu that stands on one of those bird-stools like the talking parrot toys, and he has drums and drumsticks. He also has a nice header over him that says "PUFF!!". When you hit a button on him, he spazzes out, his ears swing at random, his head goes all Exorcist, and he slams the drums out of rhythm with one of three English nursery rhymes he sings in a horrible Southern accent that sounds like Barney-gone-to-Tennessee over a banjo background.

    I thought it was funny before I got it and saw how scary it is XD
    Oh my God! That thing sounds funny!

  13. #13
    «Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Floor 22, Aincrad
    Posts
    5,035
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    Well yeah my Sisters bought pirated CCS Season 2-3 DVD's from China town for $40. I expected the quality to be bad, but it turns out to be quite great. The graphics is DVD quality and the sub is quite between fansub and the official Nelvana one! XD

    I guess we were just lucky though.

    And we bought official Pokemon VHS in the 99c store and a warehouse. I was like shocked and got them to buy it. XD

  14. #14
    Yare Yare Daze Lysandre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,603
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    Quote Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
    Well yeah my Sisters bought pirated CCS Season 2-3 DVD's from China town for $40. I expected the quality to be bad, but it turns out to be quite great. The graphics is DVD quality and the sub is quite between fansub and the official Nelvana one! XD

    I guess we were just lucky though.

    And we bought official Pokemon VHS in the 99c store and a warehouse. I was like shocked and got them to buy it. XD
    Oh man that reminds me of the best family reunion I ever had. All the kids were playing bingo and we could have as many cards as we wanted, so I ran like 4 at once. All four official Pokemon VHSes there from a quadruple bingo!

  15. #15
    A cute little robot girl. Satoshi-kun's Avatar Social Media Deputy Coordinator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,276
    Blog Entries
    73
    Follow Satoshi-kun On Twitter Add Satoshi-kun on Facebook
    Follow Satoshi-kun on Tumblr Visit Satoshi-kun's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pirated Anime

    Hmm, I've owned a few pirated sets in my lifetime. I have a 3-cd set of Kanto bootlegs a friend bought for me when he was in China a few years back. Crappy quality, old .rm format... Chinese dubbed (badly dubbed as well), and subbed also. Don't know why... lol go figure.

    I also have a bootleg set of Panyo Panyo Di Gi Carat, Cowboy Bebop, Fist of the North Star movie, Initial D Stage 2, first part of Naruto (forget how many episodes) and Serial Experiments Lain. I think I might have some old vhs bootlegs lying around as well. Basically if I see a boot set at Goodwill or the local used music/movie store, and if it's a good price, I'll buy it. The video quality usually sucks ass, and sometimes you get some pretty crappy subs (sometimes you get some really good subs though, and sometimes you get the official dub track as well).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •