Manga to promote US-Japan military alliance

Thread: Manga to promote US-Japan military alliance

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool Manga to promote US-Japan military alliance

Manga to promote US-Japan military alliance

The manga is the first of four explaining the half-century alliance

The US military is to use manga-style comics to teach Japanese children about the two countries' security alliance.

Four comics featuring a Japanese girl and a visiting US boy will be posted online, each exploring how US and Japanese troops work together.
    A US spokesman said they were intended as a light-hearted explanation of the history of the alliance.
    The comics, marking 50 years of the security pact, come amid strained ties over US bases in Okinawa.

The first Japanese-language manga comic, entitled Our Alliance - A Lasting Partnership, will be posted online on Wednesday.
    In it the young girl, Arai Anzu - which sounds like alliance when pronounced by a Japanese person - asks the boy, Usa-kun - a play on USA - why he is protecting her house.
    "Because we have an alliance," he says. "We are 'Important Friends'."
    "It's good to have a friend you can rely on to go with you," the little girl concludes.

Major Neal Fisher, deputy director of the US forces' public affairs office in Japan, said the manga were intended as a "light-hearted approach to telling the story of the alliance through the eyes of two young people who are learning why the US military are in Japan".
    The manga format was chosen because it was "a very commonly accepted format of media in Japan - it is read as much if not more than newspapers", he added.

Some paper copies of the comics would also be available at bases, he said.
    Japan hosts some 47,000 US troops in return for security guarantees from the US, under a security pact agreed in 1960. More than half of these troops are based on the southern island of Okinawa.
    Plans to relocate the Futenma airbase from southern to northern Okinawa have caused outrage amongst residents who want the base moved off the island completely.

The row toppled Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama, after he was forced to renege on a pledge to re-evaluate the base relocation deal.
    Jeez why not just show episode 50 of the Hetalia Anime while you're at it. :P

Finally the US military is making propaganda look good. XD

Default Re: Manga to promote US-Japan military alliance

It is free? Sure, I'll read it. Always wondered what military alliance the MacArther(spelling) Constitution set up between Japan and America.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Yay! Let's make the Japanese even more American loving than ever! GO AMERICA! AND JAPAN! TOGETHER IN FRIENDSHIP!
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Blog Entries

....Wow. I am so surprised that this was serious.

I want it too.

I'm Japanese and my city has Japanese self defence force air base(once occupied by the US), and my neighbor town has US air base...
    I like America and know how important US powers are for Japan's defence, but I sometimes feel "Why foreign occupied military base is still exist in my nation."
    But still I think Japan and the US are FRIENDS, like in that manga!

Now with more cowbell. Axle Helios's Avatar
    Follow Axle Helios On Twitter
    Follow Axle Helios on Tumblr Visit Axle Helios's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by D-ryukei View Post
    I'm Japanese and my city has Japanese self defence force air base(once occupied by the US), and my neighbor town has US air base...
    I like America and know how important US powers are for Japan's defence, but I sometimes feel "Why foreign occupied military base is still exist in my nation."
    But still I think Japan and the US are FRIENDS, like in that manga!
    The US has bases all over the world, although most are in Europe, it's not just Japan.

Is anyone actually going to read this, though. It doesn't seem particularly entertaining...
    I got my claims down on Quagsire, Miror B, Roar and Sand Stream.
    Winner of Burned Planet Mafia and Plants vs Zombies Mafia.

Engineer_Jeers02.WAV Mr. Slowpoke's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Axle Helios View Post
    Is anyone actually going to read this, though. It doesn't seem particularly entertaining...
    I think it's mostly for younger children (7 'till 10 years) or/ and for educational purposes only...

Now with more cowbell. Axle Helios's Avatar
    Follow Axle Helios On Twitter
    Follow Axle Helios on Tumblr Visit Axle Helios's Youtube Channel

Maybe for educational purposes, but I doubt anyone will choose to read past the first part. Unless they add more explosions for the kiddies.
    I got my claims down on Quagsire, Miror B, Roar and Sand Stream.
    Winner of Burned Planet Mafia and Plants vs Zombies Mafia.