Japanese, U.S. Manga Publishers Unite To Fight Scanlations - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japanese, U.S. Manga Publishers Unite To Fight Scanlations

Blog Entries

Default Re: Japanese, U.S. Manga Publishers Unite To Fight Scanlations

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    This makes me feel optimistic, hopefully it would be something that was mentioned here.
    I'm sure they'd like to do that, but last I checked the forum (which was this morning), nothing had been decided yet. They had set up a thread for people to make suggestions, but most of them are completely asinine, and you can tell that most of the people making them have no idea what the hell is going on.

Anyways, what I find really interesting is the fact that even though they're taking down series one by one and plan on shutting down, they're still posting new chapters.

A cute little robot girl. Satoshi-kun's Avatar Social Media Deputy Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Satoshi-kun On Twitter Add Satoshi-kun on Facebook
    Follow Satoshi-kun on Tumblr Visit Satoshi-kun's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Nah, what really needs to happen is for the Japanese publishers to create an online library of the complete contents of their books, somewhat similar to what Marvel is doing, though at the time the issue is actually released. Make it a subscription service with ready access to all issues released up to a year prior to that date, for a fair price. Weekly Shonen Jump is 480 yen an issue, I believe, so 2000 yen a month would work for that. Make the subscription system easily available worldwide (Marvel does this), and let fans post text-only translations on various fan sites like they do nowadays anyway.
    I dunno, 2000 yen, let's say that's about 20 bucks a month... I pay 20 bucks ($19.95 to be exact) every three months for my Crunchyroll anime subscription. I don't know if people would go for paying three times as much for up-to-date manga as some people pay for up-to-date anime.

I do think though that one of these manga sites would do well if they were able to do the same thing that Crunchyroll did, and take down their fansubs and find a way to work with the Japanese manga publishers to create a legal guilt-free subscription service (pay for ad-free manga, read the same day as release in Japan (example: paid crunchyroll allows you to see subbed anime an hour after broadcast), view manga a week after publication with ads for free). That is, if the publishers actually would want to work with any of these sites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kirkland View Post
    Not really. All of these are voluntary. But it will certainly turn off a lot of Non-US readers. :/
    It was going to happen one way or the other. It was obvious that Viz Media was going to make a move at some point unless, in this case, OneManga were to.

It can't be VM's problem if a lot of readers get turned off by the fact that many readers, American and non-American, were reading something illegally... They will certainly survive, even if it were to come to them reverting back from being an international company, which I see as perhaps a worst-case scenario.
    My name is Steven.
    I'm interested in rare stones,
    so I travel here and there.

S. Stone

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
    You're telling me that when you heard that all of these large publishing houses are threatening legal actions against many of the most popular Scanlation websites, you actually thought there would be a different outcome? You sir, are the most optimistic man I've ever met.
    Jeez, I was hoping to see a fight Or move underground as things seem to be going at least and find out whether this coalition will actually act as their statements have said like the Music Industry. (Which succumbed to iTunes I should point out and we still have illegal MP3's of OST's nowadays) OM is virtually ad-free and takes down series when asked.
    Oh well, it's illegal so as I said before I can't wait to graduate HS and start having extra money to spend on tankobon. I seriously want to collect Pokemon Adventures after all~

I hate this right now, the legal action has force closed OneManga.com and that was where I read Bakuman weekly! now I'm not sure where I'll be able to read it!!
    [/URL]

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokeslob View Post
    I hate this right now, the legal action has force closed OneManga.com and that was where I read Bakuman weekly! now I'm not sure where I'll be able to read it!!
    For what it's worth, I believe VIZ starts publishing it as of next month :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus View Post
    For what it's worth, I believe VIZ starts publishing it as of next month :P
    thats all good n all, but I want to keep up with japan, I'm too absorbed in the story right now to start back over at volume 1 -.-
    [/URL]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123