Japanese, U.S. Manga Publishers Unite To Fight Scanlations - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese, U.S. Manga Publishers Unite To Fight Scanlations

Default Re: Japanese, U.S. Manga Publishers Unite To Fight Scanlations

I have such mixed feelings about this. I'm a dirt poor college student so I really don't have the money to buy manga. However, I fully support them in this endeavor because I know that people like me are what's hurting the anime/manga industry.

Plus, from the standpoint of someone who would love to publish a comic (not a manga) one day, I think I'd be kind of bummed if my sales were crap because everyone pirated it. Especially if I needed that money to get by, y'know? Then again, I hear that royalties are almost nothing in comparison to the amount made by the publishing company, rather than the actual producers of a series.

I'd say that maybe they need to start thinking of new marketing schemes, like throwing in things that would make spending seven to fifteen bucks on a book worth it. A small poster, a charm of some sort, extra incentive, basically.

Look at Heart Gold/Soul Silver. I would have just pirated the eff out of that if it didn't have such great bonuses to make me want the real thing. Pokewalker? Hecks yeah, I'll shell out almost forty bucks for something so complete and with so much replayability. Granted, I don't buy games often with my budget, so I think that says a lot about how big a difference extra incentives can make for a buyer.

Just my overwritten two cents.

At the end of the day, though, I don't think they'll ever be able to stop people from scanning and uploading or doing scanlations. That's just how the internet is these days.

Blog Entries

When I was in highschool, I used to go out and buy manga all the time. The only reason I switched over to scanlations was because I pretty much ran out of space for all of my tankobon. I honestly don't mind paying money for manga, but the space issue becomes a huge problem.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
    When I was in highschool, I used to go out and buy manga all the time. The only reason I switched over to scanlations was because I pretty much ran out of space for all of my tankobon. I honestly don't mind paying money for manga, but the space issue becomes a huge problem.
    haha trufax, I have like a FULL bookshelf of manga but I keep buying more!! T_T

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what the scanlators are doing. Then again, my post in the copyright thread on the soap box should have already given you that idea.

Pokémon White

Blog Entries

Except that they are basically ripping off something that isn't theirs. I highly, highly doubt that every author of every work on every scanlating website has given the authorization for them to be doing what they are.
    My name is Steven.
    I'm interested in rare stones,
    so I travel here and there.

S. Stone

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As long as the USA people keeps their hands off Spanish manga scanlations, I don't care. They don't cater to our market anyways.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Wild STARCONNER appeared! PsychoArmor's Avatar

I don't care if they remove scanlations for things that haven't been licensed yet (although working with the sites that put up the scans sounds like a good business idea to me), but gdit, they should keep away from the stuff that has no offical translation. Even if it's a shoddy translation, if that part isn't translated, let me read it.

...It's pretty obvious I don't read licensed stuff, isn't it?
    Last edited by PsychoArmor; 21st July 2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: herp derp i r a gud speler

Juffo-Wup fills my fibers and I grow turgid. Violent action ensues.

Blog Entries

Something from a major scan site, OneManga:

"There is an end to everything, to good things as well."
    It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on One Manga (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July '10).
    So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out. Until then, the One Manga forums will remain active and we encourage all of you to continue using them. OMF has developed into a great community and it would be a shame to see that disappear.
    You can also show us some love in this moment of sadness by 'liking' our brand new Facebook page. It would be nice to see just how many of you came to enjoy our 'better than peanut butter and jelly' invention.

Regardless of whether you stay with us or not, on behalf of the One Manga team, I would like to thank you all for your unwavering support over the years. Through the ups and downs you have stuck with us, and that is what kept us going.
    As a certain Porky was fond of saying... That's all folks!
    Time for me to go lay down and let this all sink in.
    - Zabi
    So another site is going completely down.

Blog Entries

OneManga?!

Shit people are going to flip. Haha. *doesn't use onemanga*
    I'm easy to talk to; send me a VM

Blog Entries

I literally just heard the news about OM. Sad to see it go, but I can appreciate where they're coming from. Though, honestly, I'm surprised MangaFox didn't go down before them. They're the one's who're really gonna get boned over this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Muffin View Post
    OneManga?!

Honestly, it doesn't matter what scanlation website you use. The fact that such a major website is shutting down is cause for alarm. (Or do you simply not use scalation websites at all?)

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually MangaFox has shut down most of their licensed manga section. (Pokemon Special. TT^TT) It's only the unlicensed (and still famous manga's like Bleach etc) that's still on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Muffin View Post
    OneManga?!

I'm flipping like heck. I'm declaring a crisis here. :'<

Blog Entries

Well, we all knew it was coming.

Sayonara~
    My name is Steven.
    I'm interested in rare stones,
    so I travel here and there.

S. Stone

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not really. All of these are voluntary. But it will certainly turn off a lot of Non-US readers. :/

"There is an end to everything, to good things as well."

And with those words one of the largest manga viewing sites on the Internet closes it's doors. In what has been probably the end of an era of easy user friendly manga viewing and a great journey for me over the years, this recent crack down has been quite the surprise. Yes I knew someday this would happen but yeah when it happens the shock really is jarring.

Oh well, while I still do know some places to replace these more well known sites, the thing is some people will not have the initiative to look for it if the distribution is not an easy access for them.

*Sigh* I seriously do hope that my Senior Year passes fast, there is no income source for me to spare to support the official channels...

I'll ad stuff later, but I'm still at a loss for words.
    Last edited by Netto Azure; 22nd July 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kirkland View Post
    Not really. All of these are voluntary. But it will certainly turn off a lot of Non-US readers. :/
    You're telling me that when you heard that all of these large publishing houses are threatening legal actions against many of the most popular Scanlation websites, you actually thought there would be a different outcome? You sir, are the most optimistic man I've ever met.

Blog Entries

but we have some ideas we would like to try out
    This makes me feel optimistic, hopefully it would be something that was mentioned here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast