The Japanese Language Help Thread - Page 40
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Default Re: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    Uh, this is a question about reading kanji. I've noticed that the on-readings can sometimes change to a consonant from the same family (I mean as in k, g or h/f, b, p). For example, 間, which has on-readings of kan and ken, is read as gen when used in certain words, such as 人間. However, in 時間, it's read as kan. Or 日々, which is read as hibi. Why? Is there a way to know which reading to use?
    Apparently that's due to something called "rendaku". Wikipedia could probably explain it way better than I can, but from what I gather, the first consonant of the second kanji in a compound word gets an accent added to it.

I assume that 時間 doesn't follow this because the 間 is just considered a suffix to the 時 and not a unique compound word.

Blog Entries

I don't want to bother people, but can someone... help me translate this reply to one of my comments?

Code:
    僕は”ちゃん”と呼ばれるべき年齢では無いですが、親しみを持ってくれてるのは嬉しく思います
    I think it says "'chan' is not the word to use for my age, but i am flattered" but I want to make sure so I don't look dumb :o

My name is Misaaki. アテは、岩根雅明の#1ファン、Please

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhi. View Post
    Code:
    僕は”ちゃん”と呼ばれるべき年齢では無いですが、親しみを持ってくれてるのは嬉しく思います
    I think it says "'chan' is not the word to use for my age, but i am flattered" but I want to make sure so I don't look dumb :o
    "I'm not at an age that should be called "chan", but it makes me happy to be given such familiarity"

Your translation is also acceptable, but omits a lot of the second half of the sentence. (Though my translation probably slightly stilted, so take it with a grain of salt.)

Blog Entries

i am guessing the person doesn't mind :o

arigato tsurugi-san
    Last edited by みさあき; 9th April 2013 at 09:30 PM.

My name is Misaaki. アテは、岩根雅明の#1ファン、Please

Eh? What anime character? White Phoenix's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow White Phoenix On Twitter
    Visit White Phoenix's Youtube Channel

This is an unusual language problem to find a solution for since it is not actually a grammar or translation problem.

So. I could probably guess, but that really doesn’t help me learn the correct usage now does it?

In English, when we make an inventory of objects we follow the pattern:

apple, Granny Smith
    apple, McIntosh
    apple, Red Delicious
    pear, Anjou
    pear, Bartlett
    squash, acorn
    squash, butternut
    squash, Hubbard

When making such a list in Japanese using kanji or one of the kana, how is it done?

Rod’s Odd Squad

Do i have to use memorization method to learn all kanji, or is there another way to learn it?

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by make_it_worse View Post
    Do i have to use memorization method to learn all kanji, or is there another way to learn it?
    Memorization is probably the best way or constantly writing them until it's burned into memory or using flashcards.

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

i know japanese kids memorize their kanji in school. they have this system like for 1st grade, they have to memorize a particular set of kanji, and another new set by 2nd grade and so on. so yeah, memorization is one of the better ways to do it.

ORAS revealed and no 3DS Kynn Master's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kynn Master On Twitter Add Kynn Master on Facebook

In Japan there is something called jouyou kanji and they are separated by levels, the kids start to learn in elementary school and they make some exercises to memorize the stroke order. If I remember there are 10 sets, the last is just studied when they are in middle school I think and is the hardest with kanjis containing 15+ strokes.

I've learned the first level (80 kanjis) and I'm going to learn the second level ones (160). It seems hard but it actually isn't, if you write down them by stroke order you're going to memorize them quickly. :)
    Love Is Love No Matter Who You Find It In.
    ♂ + ♂ = ♥
    ♀ + ♀ = ♥
    ♀ + ♂ = ♥

I know this was posted a while ago, but I'll reply anyway. There's a book called Remembering the Kanji that gives you ways of learning the meanings of all kanji really easily. I was able to learn dozens of meanings per day, and after you know the meanings, it's easy to learn the readings as you encounter them in Japanese text. I didn't actually finish using it because I was too busy, but it's a really good method.

Do i have to memoriZe all on and kun readings to memorize all kanjis?
    If not, which readings do i have to memorize?

Do i have to memoriZe all on and kun readings to memorize all kanjis?
    If not, which readings do i have to memorize?
    Well, to be honest I learn readings as I encounter them. I used to learn all the readings, but I forgot them after a while because I never used them. You'll learn the different readings as you encounter words that use them.

I recently saw an episode of Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, where the girl buys a couple of bowls for their "new" relatives in their house... i wonder if every people in a normal japanese house have their own bowl,? She bought a couple of them because they were using the bowls for guests...

Would someone please explain to me the difference between "Zo" And "Ze?"
    I thnk they are both masculine, exuberant forms of "yo" But I really don't know the difference or when one or another is used -_-"
    BUGS!!
    We hope that, when the insects take over the world, they will remember with gratitude how we took them along on all our picnics.
    Currently wildly, violently obsessed with danganronpa..

超高校級の自然主義者

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnidae View Post
    Would someone please explain to me the difference between "Zo" And "Ze?"
    I thnk they are both masculine, exuberant forms of "yo" But I really don't know the difference or when one or another is used -_-"
    Well, this is just from what I understand:

You're right that they're both very masculine, and both similar to "yo", but a bit more extreme, to make the sentence sound forceful. They're both probably a lot more common in anime than in real life conversations. They're both pretty impolite particles, so the usage is very informal.

I think "zo" sounds a bit more...authoritative, so to speak, so you might see it used towards inferiors more often, whereas "ze" might be more common between close friends (and as such would normally sound a little more friendly than "zo").

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast