The Japanese Language Help Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Endless. Endless. J. S. Köttbulle's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Thanks. At least I know what's up...
    But on a different note: There's a spoken word segment at the end of this track. Could somebody please translate it?
    And as an added bonus, what does 下北沢まで二時間 mean? All I know is it's a band name. A romanization and translation of 中田氏大百科 (another band name) would be nice as well.
    Last edited by J. S. Köttbulle; 26th December 2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Fizzy Bubbles
    - Jovi's Lament - Fantastic Voyage!? - Mother And Child - Teenager Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Reality -
    A person is not defined by their tastes, rather it is the other way 'round.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    What is the purpose of hiragana? Wouldn't it be possible to make every word a kanji?
    If you did, it would be Chinese all over again, lol.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, my turn to ask.

I wanted to know what the following means:

平気じゃないけどもうだいじょうぶ!

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shigshwa View Post
    If you did, it would be Chinese all over again, lol.
    You know it. Hiragana does serve a couple of purposes I can think of off the top of my head.

1: It provides the furigana necessary to ever understand how to read/say the kanji.
    2: Hiragana is mainly employed as sentence particles.

Besides, all kanji would make my head explode. LOL

平気じゃないけどもうだいじょうぶ!
    Unfortunately, I can't answer that.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Excessive Spare Time View Post
    And as an added bonus, what does 下北沢まで二時間 mean?
    下北沢まで二時間 = Shimokitazawa made Nijikan ("Two hours to Shimokitazawa," I believe)

Quote Originally Posted by Excessive Spare Time View Post
    A romanization and translation of 中田氏大百科 (another band name) would be nice as well.
    中田氏大百科 = Nakadashi Daihyakka = ...Well, "daihyakka" means "encyclopedia." "Nakadashi" on the other hand... I'm finding that 氏 is a way to say "Mr." (like "Mr. Nakada")... but I'm also finding that the whole word is another way to spell 中出し, which means "intravaginal (anal, etc.) ejaculation." If it means something else, I can't find it.

平気じゃないけどもうだいじょうぶ!
    Now I know the context....

I'm afraid I also can't exactly tell you what it means, though "I'm not alright, but I will be" doesn't sound too bad, I think. I mean, what I'm finding about 平気 ("heiki") is that it has to do with calmness, composure, or indifference, and 平気じゃない is the opposite; けど = however or although; もう = already or soon; だいじょうぶ = all right/okay.

Blog Entries

What's the difference between nihon and nippon? Why is it spelled differently, and which is correct?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    What's the difference between nihon and nippon? Why is it spelled differently, and which is correct?
    It's different readings of the kanji, and both are correct.

Nihon/Nippon is written as 日本 in kanji. The first symbol, 日 can be read as "に" (Ni) as well as "ニッ" (ni[double consonant for next syllable]). The second symbol, 本, can be read as "ほん" (hon) as well as "ぽん" (pon). Add the second readings together and you get "にっぽん" (Nippon). Both are acceptable since it's still the same kanji, though I think "Nihon" is more common, though it may depend on the area (or was it "nippon" is the old way of saying it? I forget).

Sooo... there is no difference. It's spelled differently (in ENGLISH, not in Japanese) because of different kanji readings. And both are correct.
    this should be really obvious but, I really don't post here anymore. I pop in from time to time, but I really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko Heiwa View Post
    Pokemon - The Only Series Who's Fandom Regards Differing Opinions As Trolling

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NyaChan View Post

Nihon/Nippon is written as 日本 in kanji. The first symbol, 日 can be read as "に" (Ni) as well as "ニッ" (ni[double consonant for next syllable]). The second symbol, 本, can be read as "ほん" (hon) as well as "ぽん" (pon). Add the second readings together and you get "にっぽん" (Nippon). Both are acceptable since it's still the same kanji, though I think "Nihon" is more common, though it may depend on the area (or was it "nippon" is the old way of saying it? I forget).

Sooo... there is no difference. It's spelled differently (in ENGLISH, not in Japanese) because of different kanji readings. And both are correct.
    Thanks for the informative reply - learned a lot!

Hmm...

Also, if you need to know around 2000 kanji to be able to read a newspaper, is it really enough? Or would you need to know more?

Blog Entries

Hmm...

Also, if you need to know around 2000 kanji to be able to read a newspaper, is it really enough? Or would you need to know more?
    IIRC, that's around the official literacy level. So yes, it should be enough for most practical uses. Any advanced words would be easy enough to learn at this point - like English, if my hunch is right.

But this is all coming from someone who has learned Chinese, not Japanese. I barely know anything about this language :P

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

(or was it "nippon" is the old way of saying it? I forget).
    Not a linguist, but I'm finding that the "p" sound shifted to a voiceless bilabial fricative sound (a sort of "f"-like sound, which still exists in the h line in "fu"), which then turned into today's "h," but both forms still exist today, with Nippon apparently "frequently preferred for official purposes" (and sports). Also, parliament member Tetsundo Iwakuni's take on it (as of July 2009).

Non-registered User

It's a sticky, so this isn't a necro-post or anything...

I had wanted to know this, too. Thanks for posting.

We only use "Nihon" in my Japanese class. I don't need any help at the moment, though... only with regurgitating vocabulary, which is too difficult to assist with. I need to make flash cards, but I haven't the time.

As for Kanji... I hate it. If everything was Kanji, the language would be incredibly hard to learn to read and write. I've actually questioned the purpose of KANJI since Hiragana has all of the sounds you'll encounter in the language.

I also want to know why Katakana is needed. Is there any specific reason why the Japanese need to distinguish loan words from traditional Japanese words?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    It's a sticky, so this isn't a necro-post or anything...

I had wanted to know this, too. Thanks for posting.

We only use "Nihon" in my Japanese class. I don't need any help at the moment, though... only with regurgitating vocabulary, which is too difficult to assist with. I need to make flash cards, but I haven't the time.

As for Kanji... I hate it. If everything was Kanji, the language would be incredibly hard to learn to read and write. I've actually questioned the purpose of KANJI since Hiragana has all of the sounds you'll encounter in the language.

I also want to know why Katakana is needed. Is there any specific reason why the Japanese need to distinguish loan words from traditional Japanese words?
    I think that overall on both accounts, the answer unfortunately is: that's just the way it is. :( I can tell you that without Kanji/Katakana, Japanese would be extremely annoying to read because it would be hard to know where one word ends and another begins. Our answer to that is spaces, which would work but you're slowly starting to totally deviate away from what they have known and used for centuries, and that's when you get into the Nippon vs. Nihon mentality.

To go into that a little bit, yes, both Nippon and Nihon effectively work to say "Japan," however, they can send off a different meaning when used. 'Nihon' is the standard name for the country, and as has been stated earlier, it is used more than 'Nippon,' but 'Nippon' has it's own use. 'Nippon' has a little bit more of a sense of patriotism than 'Nihon' does. When someone says 'Nippon-jin' it's more of "I'm Japanese and proud of it" sort of feeling.

This sort of applies to why they don't further cut down the writing system; they are proud of their ancestry/origins and do not wish to cut off Kanji for example because in a way it helps define them as 'Japanese.' The simple fact alone that Kanji is "difficult" also adds to the sense that 'not just anyone can be us'... if that makes sense lol... it's more of a pride thing.

As far as Katakana goes, it's not solely used for just loan words, you'll see it also used on their own words a lot too for emphasis or something along those lines. My honest opinion there is that it adds a degree of style to the written language and of course makes readability a little bit easier when you can differentiate one word from the next. That's why I always get yelled at for using too much Kanji haha... it has to be a good balance, and loan words being in a different style of writing is one method of keeping that balance because you don't want to overpower the sentence with only one of Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana because you start to lose flow and readability.

I'm sure some may disagree with those points, but really there is no "correct" answer to those questions haha... That's my view on it anyways :p

Blog Entries

あっ、日本語で話してもいいんだwww

よろしゅ♥
    "Victory Road is just miles away...

So let us continue to move forward!"

PIIIKAAAACHHHHUUUUUUU!!!! Pikachu Boy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can someone make an English to Japanese chart?

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

You have to be more specific. What sort of English-to-Japanese chart?
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast