Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The Japanese Language Help Thread

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Re: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhi. View Post
    I would wait on more languages to be honest. Because each of them are different with different rules and learning three at a time might be pretty overwhelming. I wanted to learn Russian at first and can speak some of it but then put that one hold because I am more interested in learning this.
    To be fair, I'm not really "learning" French at the point, more just trying to keep it up (I learned it extensively in high school). But I do think that if I learned another language while I'm currently learning German it might be a bit much, you're right.

I have a gazillion research interests in musicology anyway. Might as well start with the ones that don't require learning a new language...

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Eh? What anime character? White Phoenix's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow White Phoenix On Twitter
    Visit White Phoenix's Youtube Channel

I also think you should wait. Many professional people in Japan, Junichi Masuda for instance, understand English very well.

Rod’s Odd Squad

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by White Phoenix View Post
    I also think you should wait. Many professional people in Japan, Junichi Masuda for instance, understand English very well.
    While alot of professionals can speak and/or understand English, it's just that some of us want to speak in their native tongue not only as practice but mainly as courtesy. (take the Pokemon show's animator for example. It's clear that he understands English because he gets people who write to him in English and responds to them on his blog... however with me, I prefer to use his native tongue... just as courtesy. Nevermind that this person doesn't respond to English comments in English....)

Blog Entries

Yes, I understand, but until you have time to learn Japanese, you shouldn’t limit yourself. Mr. Masuda and Imakuni? respond to English tweets in English, but I suppose not everyone does. Use Google Translator if you need to, at least you will get the gist of what the person is saying. Who knows, you may even learn a little Japanese that way.

Rod’s Odd Squad

Blog Entries

@White Phoenix; Speaking as a composer myself, though, it's not like our profession is one where we're seen as needed to learn foreign languages compared to, say, someone in academia or business. (I'm a musicologist as well but I have my undergrad degree in composition and I'm still active in writing music.) Masuda might know English but I know there are plenty of anime composers who don't. Just as there are plenty of American or British composers who know other languages because they've traveled a lot in other countries, but plenty of others who do not. You can't really use a name as big as Masuda's as the standard.

Also, as someone who has used Google Translate a lot with the two foreign languages I do know, you can't really use it to carry on a conversation, even written, with someone. Online translators are not very reliable if you're translating more than a sentence. Nothing replaces truly knowing the language yourself.

Anyway my decision is to hold off, it's one research interest among many. I guess a better way to phrase my question would have been, how hard is Japanese if you're skilled at language/have learned a few other languages but none outside of Indo-European ones? Learning new languages gets easier as you know more, but it's one thing if you speak English and French and are learning German, which is relatively closely related to those, vs. something like Japanese that is from a completely different language family and with a different alphabet.

ETA: Also I hope my quandary didn't derail this thread! Very sorry if it did!
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 23rd February 2013 at 10:59 PM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Follow chikorita157 On Twitter

While I am in college, I do spend a few hours teaching myself Japanese. I have been doing it for about one year and a few months. Like any language, it takes a while to get used to the grammar rules. At the moment, I'm going through the intermediate level grammar and it's not too bad. But basically, if you know the basics, you can have some understanding what they are saying even if you have to look words up on an Japanese to Engllsh dictionary.

If you are studying vocabulary or Kanji, I recommend using a Flash card program like Anki to study. It works like any old flash card, but the time you need to study them is done automatically depending on what button you use (Show Again, Hard, Good or Easy). I play Japanese Games with only a dictionary application on a smartphone and keep track of new words I discover. After that, you can add them to an Anki deck. Also, it helps familiarize you to radicals, which you use to look up a Chinese character.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
    If you are studying vocabulary or Kanji, I recommend using a Flash card program like Anki to study. It works like any old flash card, but the time you need to study them is done automatically depending on what button you use (Show Again, Hard, Good or Easy). I play Japanese Games with only a dictionary application on a smartphone and keep track of new words I discover. After that, you can add them to an Anki deck. Also, it helps familiarize you to radicals, which you use to look up a Chinese character.
    I'm not sure if I would need to learn kanji for what I'm doing, since I'd be primarily interviewing people and less reading Japanese literature or something. (In other words, pretty much the opposite of what I'm trying to do with German.) But thanks a lot for the info! That's really helpful!

I think if I do go this route I am going to end up taking a class, though. I'm just thinking now this could be more something I would pursue in my Ph.D. program if I'm still interested, versus something to do now (since I need to start working on my master's thesis and will probably do it on a different topic, one that doesn't require me to learn a new language, or which relies up on one of the two languages I already know). I just think since Japanese is so fundamentally different from any of the languages I know, I would need to take a class and learn the fundamentals.

But hey, Japanese doesn't have the subjunctive from what I understand! Which is always a plus, at least for me.
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 14th March 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    But hey, Japanese doesn't have the subjunctive from what I understand! Which is always a plus, at least for me.
    No, there is subjunctive in Japanese, unfortunately.

Subjunctive is a irrealis mood in grammar to express various states of unreality, such as wish, emotion, possibility, judgment, opinion, necessity, or action that has not yet occurred. In Japanese, this grammar mood is called 接続法.

Example:
    English: If he was here...
    Japanese: (もし)彼がいるなら...

In English, the subjunctive verb in the sentence is "was". In Japanese, the verb "いる" had became subjunctive form by adding suffix "なら". I putted 'もし'(if) in bracket because grammatically "いるなら" had already included the meaning of 'if' inside, hence there was actually no need to added "もし" in this sentence grammatically.

Most of my reference is from Wikipedia. If you wanted to look further, go to "Subjunctive mood" in ENGLISH Wiki, then change it to JAPANESE under language selection, provided that you understand Japanese. The English Wiki don't explain subjunctive in Japanese language, unfortunately.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

@NacCrystal; That's weird, because the place where I got the idea that Japanese doesn't have the subjunctive was the Japanese faculty at my university in their "Why study Japanese?" page.

Anyway, I'm not sure if what you're saying quite goes based on what my idea of what the subjunctive tense is based on learning it in French and German.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Well, if you say subjunctive "tense" of a verb, then yes, Japanese don't have such thing. But however, that does not mean Japanese has no subjunctive mood in the grammar.

Previously in my example, "なら" is an AUXILLARY WORD, in some dictionary it even categorized as CONJUNCTION. It is not a tense that is intrinsically part of the verb "いる".

Blog Entries

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good English←→Japanese lexicon? I need one that will be complete on both sides (unlike the one published by Random House). It can be romaji, kana, kanji or any combination.

Rod’s Odd Squad

Blog Entries

lexicon desu ka?

(what is a lexicon?)

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Lexicon is a kind of dictionary contains specific technical words and/or terminology, usually with explanation of where the words came from and what is its origin. So basically, it means dictionary of technical words.

Depending on the fields of what you need, you can find millions of dictionaries you wanted.

As I see White Phoenix wants a English<-->Japanese dictionary that translate to both sides. If you are not in a specific field of technical words, then a normal English-Japanese bilingual dictionary is already more than enough for you.

For me personally, I prefer very much on Lingoes, and I use it everyday. It is a off-line dictionary program where the user can install as much dictionaries as you need, and one search of word will search through all the installed dictionary at once, so it is very convenient, and moreover, it is completely FREE! Check its official website Lingoes -- free dictionary and full text translation software. All you need to do is to install the basic interface, and add the respective dictionaries to its storages for future word searching. Thousands of free dictionaries are downloadable in its official website.
    Just one shortage about this program is that 1) Many dictionaries had stopped to update since 2009, so dictionaries might not contain the newest entries. 2) Most dictionaries were made by language enthusiast, not professionals that are working in dictionary companies, so qualities of dictionaries might not be very professional. Though, there are still many currently existing well-known dictionaries like Oxford (for English) and Eijiro (for Japanese) that were directly imported by fans, so qualitative dictionaries does exist, all you need to do is just give a little time for yourself to find out which dictionary suits your need.

I hoped that helps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NacCrystal View Post
    Lexicon is a kind of dictionary contains specific technical words and/or terminology, usually with explanation of where the words came from and what is its origin. So basically, it means dictionary of technical words.

Depending on the fields of what you need, you can find millions of dictionaries you wanted.
    aa sou desu; arigato, Kurisutaru-chan.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhi. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NacCrystal View Post

aa sou desu; arigato, Kurisutaru-chan.
    ”ちゃん”はやめてくれ。キモい。

By the way, if you were trying to write in Japanese, then write in Japanese kana and kaji, not the romanji in Roman alphabet. If you are using Windows Vista or any other later version, then you can choose to have Japanese keyboard input under the Region and Language in the Control Panel, even your Windows is English in default. Yes. Asian language inputs are already included in all Windows OS posterior Vista.
    Simply because, Japanese people do not write their language in Roman alphabets.

And just another question from me. Do you know what is the meaning of the suffix "ちゃん" (-chan) that is placed at the end of people's name?

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast