The Japanese Language Help Thread - Page 37
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Or simply ask: eigo o hanase masu ka? (do you speak english?)
    Last edited by みさあき; 17th February 2013 at 01:45 AM.

My name is Misaaki. アテは、岩根雅明の#1ファン、Please

Ein? Is that a word for English too? I thought it was only eigo.

Also, is there a difference between chotto and sukoshi? I know chotto is also used as a way of refusing something kindly, but when both chotto and sukoshi mean "a little", is there a difference between them?
    Last edited by Satoshi_Pikachu; 17th February 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    Ein? Is that a word for English too? I thought it was only eigo.

Also, is there a difference between chotto and sukoshi? I know chotto is also used as a way of refusing something kindly, but when both chotto and sukoshi mean "a little", is there a difference between them?
    oh shit sorry. I meant eigo :[

im not sure since im only learning this as well but chotto also means "hey" as an expression.

Oh, that explains it XD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    Oh, that explains it XD
    yeah it can be used as an informal "hello" as well XD

anyway, I think someone already did this but has anyone wrote out how to translate names? If not, I can pretty much do so. It's quite fun XD

Eh? What anime character? White Phoenix's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow White Phoenix On Twitter
    Visit White Phoenix's Youtube Channel

Hello!

Is anyone fluent enough in Japanese to tell me if there is a male Japanese name that would mean “renowned” or “famous”?

I know that sometimes the Japanese make up their own, is it possible to do this? I don’t want just a Japanese spelling of my name, but an authentic Japanese name that fits with the storyline of Pokémon Conquest.
    Last edited by White Phoenix; 18th February 2013 at 05:28 AM.

Rod’s Odd Squad

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by White Phoenix View Post
    Hello!

Is anyone fluent enough in Japanese to tell me if there is a male Japanese name that would mean “renowned” or “famous”?

I know that sometimes the Japanese make up their own, is it possible to do this? I don’t want just a Japanese spelling of my name, but an authentic Japanese name that fits with the storyline of Pokémon Conquest.
    How about doing like a spinoff of yūmei or nadakai?

i haven't looked into authentic names but someone else might.

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Hello!

Dunno, but how about Yuudai? It kinda means great hero. Seems that "tai" or "dai" or "hiro" are used in names meaning "great" something sometimes. Or in the case of "tai" or "dai", it can also mean "big".

Yuudai would be...

雄 + 大

Hero + Great/big.

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    Hello!

Dunno, but how about Yuudai? It kinda means great hero. Seems that "tai" or "dai" or "hiro" are used in names meaning "great" something sometimes. Or in the case of "tai" or "dai", it can also mean "big".

Yuudai would be...

雄 + 大

Hero + Great/big.
    Alternatively, you could go for 雄太 Yuuta. There seem to be a lot of Japanese names that end with -ta (太 means "grand"). Names that end with -shi are also quite common for male and could be written in a number of ways: 士 (gentleman), 志 (resolve), 司 (administer), 史 (chronicle), etc. Just to make a small note, 勇士 Yuushi means "brave warrior" or "hero".

広/宏/弘 hiro (or alternatively kou) means "vast", but it does have a sense of being "grand".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 捷克羅姆 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post

Yuudai would be...

雄 + 大

Hero + Great/big.
    Alternatively, you could go for 雄太 Yuuta. There seem to be a lot of Japanese names that end with -ta (太 means "grand"). Names that end with -shi are also quite common for male and could be written in a number of ways: 士 (gentleman), 志 (resolve), 司 (administer), 史 (chronicle), etc. Just to make a small note, 勇士 Yuushi means "brave warrior" or "hero".

広/宏/弘 hiro (or alternatively kou) means "vast", but it does have a sense of being "grand".
    The suggestion “yūmei” seemed to inspire more names. The word “hiro-” is close in sound to the default of the main character’s name (hero) while “yū” is . I remembered I have a file for the gallery and perfect partners list with all of the names that are already taken. So I can choose a unique name within the game. ^^

I have heard or read “Yū” and “Hiroshi” before. Yūta/Yūtai/Yūdai is closest to the meaning of my name. While “-shi” in “Yūshi” used as an equivalent for a position (gentleman, administrator) is too specific for title or position, but if used to mean “chronicle/journal/history”, it would fit. As written 広志, “Hiroshi” might mean “wide history”?

The syllable “yū” by itself with the kanji being used above seems to mean more like “man” and “courage”, while the “yū-” in “yūmai” seems to mean either “yes” or “road”.

Rod’s Odd Squad

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

The suggestion “yūmei” seemed to inspire more names. The word “hiro-” is close in sound to the default of the main character’s name (hero) while “yū” is . I remembered I have a file for the gallery and perfect partners list with all of the names that are already taken. So I can choose a unique name within the game. ^^

I have heard or read “Yū” and “Hiroshi” before. Yūta/Yūtai/Yūdai is closest to the meaning of my name. While “-shi” in “Yūshi” used as an equivalent for a position (gentleman, administrator) is too specific for title or position, but if used to mean “chronicle/journal/history”, it would fit. As written 広志, “Hiroshi” might mean “wide history”?

The syllable “yū” by itself with the kanji being used above seems to mean more like “man” and “courage”, while the “yū-” in “yūmai” seems to mean either “yes” or “road”.
    In my opinion, Yūmei doesn't sound like a very common name (though not unheard of). Yū and Hiroshi are fairly common.

広志 Hiroshi means "wide aspiration". Different characters can have different meaning. Yū can be written as 勇 (brave), 雄 (man, hero), 優 (excellent), etc. The yū (有) in yūmei means "to have", so the word yūmei literally means "to have a name" or "to have a reputation".
    Last edited by 捷克羅姆; 20th February 2013 at 12:14 AM.

Blog Entries

“Yūmei” was suggested as a word for a basis for a name rather than as a name. Although you indicated that it can be used as a name. I really need to find a good Japanese lexicon, either offline or an actual book.

I also noticed that one of my sentences didn’t get finished. I can’t remember now where I was going with that. 8-(

Rod’s Odd Squad

Blog Entries

^ yeah I suggested that as a spinoff rather than an actual name. I know it's a name but it's also an actual word so sometimes people make their names based on words. (etc: Yumai, Yukai Yume (except this means "dream") for an another example would be Deeva = diva)
    Last edited by みさあき; 21st February 2013 at 10:07 PM.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

I hope this is on-topic, but:

So as an anime fan who is also a musicologist, I've considered doing some research into the use of music in anime. And I've wondered if I should add Japanese to my growing list of "languages I need to learn" so I can talk to composers. I feel like this also requires way more extensive research into Japanese culture than I could handle and I should stick to the stuff I already know in terms of my research interests, but it interests me and I've considered it once or twice as I've started thinking about what my master's thesis should be (certainly, there's little to nothing about it in musicological research right now).

But right now I'm in the middle of learning German and trying to keep up my French, and I'm wondering if I should just wait on more languages. I'm good at languages, but I've only ever tried my hand at Indo-European languages that use the Roman alphabet, and I'm kind of intimidated to take on something so different.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

I would wait on more languages to be honest. Because each of them are different with different rules and learning three at a time might be pretty overwhelming. I wanted to learn Russian at first and can speak some of it but then put that one hold because I am more interested in learning this.

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast