The Japanese Language Help Thread - Page 34

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    This is something that I still can't understand. What is the difference between the particles が and は?

And this is more of a Japanese learning question, but how did it take you to learn all Jouyou kanji? What would be a good quantity to learn per week/month?
    "Wa" is a topic marker (the main thing the speaker's speaking about), "ga" is a subject marker (also used with question words and for emphasis). Hope this helps you!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Could anyone help me translate this for me:

『ブラック2・ホワイト2 』を、どんなふうに遊んでいるかを見せ合いっこ『みんなでポケモン』

It also came with two charts:
    http://www.pokesho.com/img_trash/120703_12.jpg
    http://www.pokesho.com/img_trash/120703_2.jpg

So I'm trying to find out it means.

Blog Entries

Hello?
    Can I ask...Does this truly mean "Berserk Deity?"

ベルセルクの神

And also...how would you put it with やみのディアルガ ? (My target is to get Berserk Deity Primal Dialga in Japanese)

Thanks!
    Last edited by やみのディアルガ; 22nd July 2012 at 04:38 AM.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Evans Sharp View Post
    Hello?
    Can I ask...Does this truly mean "Berserk Deity?"

ベルセルクの神

And also...how would you put it with やみのディアルガ ? (My target is to get Berserk Deity Primal Dialga in Japanese)

Thanks!
    Well, if one transliterate ベルセルク directly, it does means "berserk". But according to the context of ベルセルクの神, "ベルセルク" in here also has meanings of "rage, fury, violent, or even frantic".

Then, the word 神 had quite many different meaning, depending on the context.
    In Japanese, the word "神" includes all the divine entity in different religions and myths. It can mean Jesus Christ in Christian, the Deva in Hinduism, the "God" in Greek and Roman mythologies, the deities in Taoism and Buddhism (but not Buddha herself), or even supernatural spirits in the Chinese and Japanese mythologies.
    Let give an example, one of the well known supernatural being in Japanese mythology was Fujin (風神) and Raijin (雷神), where they are not god or deity, but known to be a supernatual being that controls wind and thunder. They both have "神" in their name.

やみのディアルガ is a character in the PMD2 series, where it is the final boss of the main story plot. In English version, it was addressed as Primal Dialga, but direct translation of Japanese is "Dark Dialga".

Well, if ベルセルクの神 is referring to やみのディアルガ, then the whole phrase of "ベルセルクの神" should rather translated as "Deity of violence", because in the game, Primal Dialga doesn't contain any emotion but instinct only, so I choose a meaning of ベルセルク where it omits the secondary meaning of "anger", where anger is an emotion.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

@NacCrystal
    Thanks!
    So...the idea is to put ベルセルクwith やみのディアルガ, right? Or is it wrong?

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Evans Sharp View Post
    @NacCrystal
    Thanks!
    So...the idea is to put ベルセルクwith やみのディアルガ, right? Or is it wrong?
    Not really... It all depends on the context.

ベルセルクの神 is a phrase on its own, やみのディアルガ is another phase on its own. The point is are these two phrases related or not.
    Like I said before, if ベルセルクの神 is a description phrase refers to Primal Dialga, then you should translate that phrase according to characteristic of Primal Dialga, so it should rather be "Deity of Violence/Turbulence/Cruelty...", any meaning literally equivalents to ベルセルク while it doesn't include emotions. If it is not, then you can just translate that phrase directly according to its literal meaning, so it can be "Deity of Berserk/Rage/Brutality...", may or may not include meaning of emotions.

One comment from me about translation: Translation is not mechanical work. You should includes the context of the whole sentence in order to translate appropriately.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Follow xrick On Twitter Add xrick on Facebook

Excuse me, is someone here capable of translating this tweet from Sugimori?
    «短い文章で正確に答えにくい質問もあることを 理解していただけると助かります。»
    I've been using Google Translate to get his answers and send mine to him but this time his reply is big enough for the translator to mess up.
    «It survives and is also serving to understand that difficult question to answer accurately in short sentences.»
    I really need to know if I'm finally starting to get somewhere with my conversations with him...

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by xrick View Post
    I've been using Google Translate to get his answers and send mine to him but this time his reply is big enough for the translator to mess up.
    «It survives and is also serving to understand that difficult question to answer accurately in short sentences.»
    I really need to know if I'm finally starting to get somewhere with my conversations with him...
    I think this would translate to...

To give accurate answers in short sentences to questions is difficult. That's the gist I was getting anyway. The translation could be wrong, though.

I think he means that giving answers on Twitter to comprehensive questions are difficult to answer in short sentences since tweets are supposed to be short.

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

Follow xrick On Twitter Add xrick on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    I think this would translate to...

To give accurate answers in short sentences to questions is difficult. That's the gist I was getting anyway. The translation could be wrong, though.

I think he means that giving answers on Twitter to comprehensive questions are difficult to answer in short sentences since tweets are supposed to be short.
    Thanks, it helped.

2664-2340-0333 SV{153} Pyroclastic Friend's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Pyroclastic Friend On Twitter
    Follow Pyroclastic Friend on Tumblr

Could someone please translate this?: 鋼符「地獄極楽核爆破」

And this?: 幻想郷のルクセンブルグ
    Last edited by Pyroclastic Friend; 16th October 2012 at 09:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroclastic Friend View Post

The second is "Gensoukyou no Rukesenburugu," or "Luxembourg, Gensoukyou" (like an address, the same way "Tokyo, Japan" is "Nihon no Toukyou"). I suppose it could also be "Gensoukyou's Luxembourg" or "the Luxembourg of Gensoukyou," which sounds like some sort of comparison.

As for the first, despite it being by an artist with a Japanese pseudonym, it appears to be in either Chinese or kanaless Japanese. O_o And since I don't know Chinese, here's a break down of what I could find in Japanese:

鋼 = hagane, kou = steel
    符 = fu = charm/mark/sign/token
    地獄 = jigoku = hell
    極楽 = gokuraku = paradise
    核爆 = kakubaku = nuclear (though I could only find it already attached to other words, such as "kakubakudan" = "nuclear weapon")
    破 = ha, wa = something along the lines of "defeat"/"destroy"/"rip" (also, "(in gagaku or noh) middle section of a song" )

...Over here, I found it labeled "Hell Paradise Nuclear Blast [Metal]," so that may be it.
    Last edited by Kthleen; 17th October 2012 at 06:22 AM.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

I thought of Touhou after seeing the 幻想郷 (Can be translated as "Illusory Village"), so the second line could be "Luxembourg of the Illusory Village"

As for the first line, it can be taken as "Steel Charm: Hell Paradise Nuclear Blast"

Quote Originally Posted by Kthleen View Post
    As for the first, despite it being by an artist with a Japanese pseudonym, it appears to be in either Chinese or kanaless Japanese. O_o And since I don't know Chinese, here's a break down of what I could find in Japanese
    It's Japanese. 楽 is the Japanese variation of the character 樂.

SSJ_Jup81 has the gist of it, but the whole tweet means, "I'd be thankful [literally 'saved'] if [unstated subject, presumably his followers] could understand that there are some questions which are difficult to answer correctly with short sentences."

Quote Originally Posted by 捷克羅姆 View Post

I thought of Touhou after seeing the 幻想郷 (Can be translated as "Illusory Village"), so the second line could be "Luxembourg of the Illusory Village"
    Alternatively it could be something like "Luxembourg, village of illusions," with 幻想郷 acting as a descriptor rather than part of the proper noun.
    いまでは、ホラ
    笑いながら話ができるよ

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 捷克羅姆 View Post
    It's Japanese.
    So I was partially right.

Quote Originally Posted by kiera2 View Post
    Alternatively it could be something like "Luxembourg, village of illusions," with 幻想郷 acting as a descriptor rather than part of the proper noun.
    Oh? Well, that does make sense.... ...My god, I'll never get this language!

*sigh* I'm aware of "X no" as a descriptor rather than a possessive, but I guess I'm so used to thinking of "Gensoukyou" as a place name that to me, it would be like if I gave "Toukyou" as "[the] eastern capital" instead of "Tokyo" seemingly just for the hell of it. Stupid stubborn brain....

2664-2340-0333 SV{153} Pyroclastic Friend's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Pyroclastic Friend On Twitter
    Follow Pyroclastic Friend on Tumblr

Thank you everyone, but now I need this please: 花の映る塚

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast