The Japanese Language Help Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Default Re: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al View Post
    I was wondering if someone knows the exact pronunciation for a few names.

The names are:
    土屋理敬
    福嶋幸典
    吉村清子

Thanks in advance
    土屋理敬 = Tsuchiya Michihiro
    福嶋幸典 = Fukushima Yukinori
    吉村清子 = Yoshimura Kiyoko

Just in case you didn't know, the second name is their first name :3. Sorry if you do know.

-Hello/Hi- Ohaiyogozaimas
    -Yo- Jahnay (only if you're a girl, if you're a guy you'll look stupid, I'd go with Ohaio if you're a guy)
    -Thank you- Arigato
    -Bathroom- Toide
    -Sushi bar ^_^- um... I should know but I don't ^_^
    -Screw/**** you (Just to insult my friends in something they can't understand)- I like to go with Anata no Okasan... (Your mom)
    I'm sorry, those are incorrect, RexRacer.

Hello - This depends on the time of day, but こんにちは(konnichiwa) would be your best bet.
    Yo - It would honestly just be "yo".
    Thank you - ありがとう (arigatou)
    Bathroom - informal=トイレ (toire) formal= お手洗い (otearai)
    Sushi bar - I would recommend just saying すし屋 (sushiya)
    Screw you - Um... the most common expression I've heard is 死ね (shine), which is essentially "go die".
    Under construction...

Quote Originally Posted by Riiko View Post

Yo - It would honestly just be "yo".
    Thank you - ありがとう (arigatou)
    Bathroom - informal=トイレ (toire) formal= お手洗い (otearai)
    "Yo" means like "Hi"? (Sorry but I'm not English native...)
    If so, you can say "Yaa(やあ)" as well as "Yo(よう/よお)"

You can say "Arigatou(ありがとう)" for "Thank you", but it sounds like "Thanks". So, formally "Atigatou Gozaimasu(ありがとうございます)" is more acceptable, especially when you talk to someone who you meet first or who is older(or on higher position) than you.

"Toire" for bathroom is answered by RexRacer as "Toide" not "Toire".
    This is an interesting fact that shows us the pronunciational diffrernce between English and Japanese.
    The pronunciation of Japanese "R" is more similar to that of English "D" or "T"(when pronounced cotinually with other sounds, such as in "batter" and "sweater" when you don't pronounce "T" clearly). So, be careful when you hear the sounds like English "T" or "D". They may be "R" in Japanese such as "Toire" which sounds like "Toide".

Quote Originally Posted by D-ryukei View Post
    "Yo" means like "Hi"? (Sorry but I'm not English native...)
    If so, you can say "Yaa(やあ)" as well as "Yo(よう/よお)"

You can say "Arigatou(ありがとう)" for "Thank you", but it sounds like "Thanks". So, formally "Atigatou Gozaimasu(ありがとうございます)" is more acceptable, especially when you talk to someone who you meet first or who is older(or on higher position) than you.

"Toire" for bathroom is answered by RexRacer as "Toide" not "Toire".
    This is an interesting fact that shows us the pronunciational diffrernce between English and Japanese.
    The pronunciation of Japanese "R" is more similar to that of English "D" or "T"(when pronounced cotinually with other sounds, such as in "batter" and "sweater" when you don't pronounce "T" clearly). So, be careful when you hear the sounds like English "T" or "D". They may be "R" in Japanese such as "Toire" which sounds like "Toide".
    Yes, "yo" is hi.

I just posted what is most commonly used. If the requester wanted a deeper explanation I would have given it.

That's simply incorrect. You can go look it up in a Japanese dictionary. "Toire" is not pronounced "toide". There is a specific sound the Japanese have for their "R"'s, and telling an (assumed to be) English native that it is "toide" is incorrect. If that person goes to Japan and says that, they will be looked at like a stupid tourist. Also, what if they needed to write it down? If they wrote トイデ, they would look even more like a foreigner.
    Under construction...

Level 98 RexRacer's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry, those are incorrect, RexRacer.
    Thought so.

Yes, "yo" is hi.

I just posted what is most commonly used. If the requester wanted a deeper explanation I would have given it.

That's simply incorrect. You can go look it up in a Japanese dictionary. "Toire" is not pronounced "toide". There is a specific sound the Japanese have for their "R"'s, and telling an (assumed to be) English native that it is "toide" is incorrect. If that person goes to Japan and says that, they will be looked at like a stupid tourist. Also, what if they needed to write it down? If they wrote トイデ, they would look even more like a foreigner.
    Thank you for teaching me that "yo" means hi. I didn't know "yo" is not only a Japanese word but also an English word. Interesting!

About my comment for "R", first, I'm sorry for confusing you with my overstate in poor English.

Yes, we Japanese write "toire/トイレ" for bathroom, never write it "Toide/トイデ", and we feel strange if a foreigner say like "Toide wa dokodesuka?" with clear sound of "D".
    I intended to say in the last post, to genaral Enlish speakers, "Please be careful when you hear the sound of 'T' or 'D'. 'T' or 'D' for your ears are sometimes 'R' for our Japanese ears, although sometimes actually 'T' or 'D' even in Japanese. Your "R" and our "R" is a little different."

About "Toire", I even think it will SOUNDS more like native if you say "Toide" with LESS clear sound of "D", than you say "Toire" with Enlish "R" sound, although there's not so much difference between the two.

I think that the way of using the word of "you" is difficult... I used "you" for not only Riiko but for all general English speakers in some part of the last comment, but reading my last comment, I think I criticized Riiko by using "you" in these parts...

う~ん。僕の英語力も論理的な文章力もまだまだ未熟なようです。ここで メントすることで鍛えさせて頂けると嬉しいのですが・・・。

D-ryukei,こんにちは、はじめまして。埼玉県に住んでいるアメリカ人、ジンと 申します。

面白そうなBBSだと思って見に来ましたが日本の方がいらっしゃるとい のは意外なんです!!

どうやったBMGFを発見しましたか?すごく興味深いです~

よろしくお願いいたしますね!

Blog Entries

Does anyone know what waifu means?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ho-Oh View Post
    It could just mean wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Ho-Oh View Post
    If it's written in Katakana, I'd say Mudkipz is almost certainly right. But these things depend heavily on context sometimes.

Reading Japanese is something I've been wishing I could do for many, many years now. Hiragana and Katakana are no problem, but grammar is really giving me trouble. If all I want to do is be able to read the text in Kana-only video games (say, for instance, Pokemon SoulSilver), could anyone point me toward some good learning resources?

Um, it's not exactly Japanese language help request, but I hope someone will still answer me... I'm getting desperate.
    I'm trying to contact the person this blog(?)\website is belong to: http://ohnosirohosi.batuyoko.sunnyday.jp/
    but not knowing Japanese at all, I can not find e-mail address or any other way to contact him/her.

Can someone help me with that? I'd really appreciate that.

Blog Entries

What is the purpose of hiragana? Wouldn't it be possible to make every word a kanji?

Endless. Endless. J. S. Köttbulle's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi, I have a question. Can anybody tell me what this means? I'd go and look it up myself, but I can't copy and paste the text like I normally do...
    Fizzy Bubbles
    - Jovi's Lament - Fantastic Voyage!? - Mother And Child - Teenager Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Reality -
    A person is not defined by their tastes, rather it is the other way 'round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Excessive Spare Time View Post
    Hi, I have a question. Can anybody tell me what this means? I'd go and look it up myself, but I can't copy and paste the text like I normally do...
    I'm not entirely sure, but the hiragana:

さがさないでください。CDR

Without kanji (and since I don't recognize the verb used), I'm not sure, but it's definitely saying "Please don't do [something]".

Also, google translate will do no good, it comes up as "Please Sagasanai." :P
    this should be really obvious but, I really don't post here anymore. I pop in from time to time, but I really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko Heiwa View Post
    Pokemon - The Only Series Who's Fandom Regards Differing Opinions As Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by NyaChan View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, but the hiragana:

さがさないでください。CDR

Without kanji (and since I don't recognize the verb used), I'm not sure, but it's definitely saying "Please don't do [something]".

Also, google translate will do no good, it comes up as "Please Sagasanai." :P
    Google Translate always does no good ^^;

Since there's only one meaning for 'sagasanai' (negative form of 'sagasu') anyways, it's not really important what's the Kanji for it.

Not sure if the sentence makes much sense, but it basicially says "Please don't search/look for (something)."

Quote Originally Posted by luridsorcerer View Post
    Reading Japanese is something I've been wishing I could do for many, many years now. Hiragana and Katakana are no problem, but grammar is really giving me trouble. If all I want to do is be able to read the text in Kana-only video games (say, for instance, Pokemon SoulSilver), could anyone point me toward some good learning resources?
    It's not specifically for stuff like that, but I have a book called "Japanese the Manga way" which I've learned quite a bit from. Hope that helps :)

To be honest, you can get through the game quite happily with just a basic knowledge of how pokemon works and some guesswork, especially with something like HGSS if you've played Gold and Silver :P

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast