Japanese dub or English originals?

View Poll Results: Japanese dub or English original?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Japanese Dub

3 20.00%
  • English Original

12 80.00%

Thread: Japanese dub or English originals?

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Japanese dub or English originals?

My inspiration for this thread is this thread about the preference between the Japanese originals in the Pokemon or the English dub in the anime board. However, I am actually more interested in the possibility to choose between the Japanese dub and the English originals. Some of you here are more Japan-centric, so this may be more thought-provoking to pick.

Basically the topic's intent is that if there is the Japanese dub of an English show, which will you watch? It's an oft thought that the Japanese things are better than the English if it comes to anime and manga, but can the Japanese top anything that comes out in English? We'll see in your opinions.

For your viewing pleasure, I decided to place some videos of the Japanese dub of certain English shows. Do not let those be your only forms of judgement: I want to know based on your overall exposure to it, if you have experienced more than those.

Thanks for reading.

(PS: Chiro from SRMTHFG sounds like Satoshi from Pokemon)
    Last edited by winstein; 12th August 2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Changed links to Youtube videos
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Japanese dub or English originals?

I guess this is enough to stand away from the other thread since it is a reversal. As I stated there, it depends on the actual show for me, but mostly (even with stuff not animated, like foreign movies), I'd rather watch it in the intended original language and read subtitles.

It is interesting (as far some shows go) how they may sound in other languages, but I still sorta prefer to watch it the way it was originally intended.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's also like that with some games. For example, the Halo Series:

With this, the Japanese version makes it cooler for some reason.

The alien voices are the same, though, as they still say "Wort Wort Wort".
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Follow Usagi-Zakura on Tumblr Visit Usagi-Zakura's Youtube Channel

If the show is originally English I will try to watch it in English. Not to say that I dislike all dubs, I usually find Disney-movies to have decent dubs (in Norwegian at least, I also had a couple of Japanese dubbed Disney-songs on my iPod once. Namely "On my Way" from Brother Bear, "We are One" from Lion King 2 and "One Jump Ahead" from Aladdin).
    I see no point in watching the movies dubbed in a language I don't understand half of:p If I gotta watch a dub, it'll be the Norwegian dub.

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi-Zakura View Post
    If the show is originally English I will try to watch it in English. Not to say that I dislike all dubs, I usually find Disney-movies to have decent dubs (in Norwegian at least, I also had a couple of Japanese dubbed Disney-songs on my iPod once. Namely "On my Way" from Brother Bear, "We are One" from Lion King 2 and "One Jump Ahead" from Aladdin).
    I see no point in watching the movies dubbed in a language I don't understand half of:p If I gotta watch a dub, it'll be the Norwegian dub.
    though on that note, you can find Disney songs in tons of languages on YouTube (BTW, German Scar is all kinds of badass). I guess in some regards, you can just treat them as a novelty, since the musical portions are seemingly the most well-known parts of those movies, and it's not like some DVDs don't include "here's a one-minute clip of a certain scene in 10 different languages" as some kind of extra.

But anyway, I actually am liable to watch a Japanese dub when it's not the original language, mainly because I do know a good deal of the language (and it sounds like such a pretty, free-flowing language). I still think the original should take precedence, however.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 18th August 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Blog Entries

nooooooooooooooooooo, i was the one who voted japanese dub, but i thought it was for the anime, so i voted japanese, i wanted to vote for english original dub, count my vote for english dub...

Follow Usagi-Zakura on Tumblr Visit Usagi-Zakura's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    though on that note, you can find Disney songs in tons of languages on YouTube (BTW, German Scar is all kinds of badass). I guess in some regards, you can just treat them as a novelty, since the musical portions are seemingly the most well-known parts of those movies, and it's not like some DVDs don't include "here's a one-minute clip of a certain scene in 10 different languages" as some kind of extra.
    True that. I watched a bunch of foreign-language Disney Songs:D I liked the Finnish version of Can't wait to be king XD and of course the ever popular Be Prepared in German.

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

Whatever it was originally dubbed in is my default response. However, I'm highly biased when it comes to English originals. It's my native and only tongue, and, while I don't find subtitles annoying (bar obnoxious fonts and screwy timing with them), not having to rely on them to get the complete story is a plus. An extremely small plus that doesn't compare to the actual quality of the work, but a plus for me nonetheless.

WITCH is technically French, for the record.
    So.

Alternate-language dubs of existing English-language shows are entertaining to watch for flavor, I admit that. For the most part, though, I will watch shows/movies in English if their dialogue originally in English. I have yet to see a foreign-language dub that has enough of a quality jump over the English audio to make me default to that language.

Basically, I default to English if the dialogue is good enough, and subs with the original audio track if the English dub is poor. In the case of OEL material, both defaults are English. Not much of a choice, really.