The Japanese Culture Thread - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Japanese Culture Thread

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Japan Dos and Don'ts

Dont drive a Big old chevy Suburban over in Japan unless you are a driving expert because the streets are super small and you may have a few mini cars flattened in your path. Though i have seen a few chevy astro and ford E-series vans over there which in a way can contradict its self on that only small cars are over in japan....

alos It isnt recomended that you honk your horn exept in life or death situations. guess im not going there then.....
    Last edited by 97SaturnSL1; 22nd July 2012 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

You don't share an umbrella with someone unless you are really really close friends, or there's an obvious reason I think. There's this term called Aigasa, and while it literally means to 'share an umbrella', it also points out that the two people sharing the umbrella are in a relationship - or at least like each other.

So if one doesn't have an umbrella when it is raining, they usually go buy one, not share.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: The Japanese Culture Thread

Why are the dogs named Alexander? I mean, in a lot of anime and stuff, most of the pet dogs are named Alexander...

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    Adding on, it's customary to wait for everyone to be served before eating your own meal.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Isn't this the same in the West as well? I'm American and I was always taught that if you're in a sit-down meal, it's rude to eat before everyone else has been served, unless you're the only one who ordered a particular course (like a soup or salad before the main course). Also that it's rude to eat in front of others who don't have anything to eat themselves, at least without offering them something.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

No, Not Yet Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I read in a phrasebook that you should never cross your chop sticks, as the only time this should normally happen is after someone has been cremated and relatives are picking out the leftover bones from the ashes, or something like that. Line your cross sticks to be parallel with each other instead.

Also, I hear they prefer people to be clean shaved.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Adding on, it's customary to wait for everyone to be served before eating your own meal.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Isn't this the same in the West as well? I'm American and I was always taught that if you're in a sit-down meal, it's rude to eat before everyone else has been served, unless you're the only one who ordered a particular course (like a soup or salad before the main course). Also that it's rude to eat in front of others who don't have anything to eat themselves, at least without offering them something.
    I live in the UK and that's the same here. There are exceptions though, like if you're both having a hot meal but one person's will arrive a considerable amount of time before the others. At the very least, I always wait until someone else has started. In a more formal situation though, I always wait until everyone has been served unless I've been given permission to start.

In regards to shoes, it's interesting to hear that in Japan that rule even applies for businesses. Here in the UK, you always take off your shoes when entering another person's home (or just before, depending on the person), but with businesses you wear your shoes.

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Well, I sorta was thinking of situations at the time where it's not fully necessary, like maybe if you're having a meal at home with family or if in an informal setting....but for Japan, both informal and formal, seems you're supposed to wait until everyone's dishes have been served. Even in the schools, the kids are not allowed to begin their meals until every single kid in class has been served. Not sure if this is the case with high school, but it'd surprised if they didn't, when they do for kindergarten, elementary school, and junior high school.

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

Denki the Pokemon Breeder Denki Wolf's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I read in a phrasebook that you should never cross your chop sticks, as the only time this should normally happen is after someone has been cremated and relatives are picking out the leftover bones from the ashes, or something like that. Line your cross sticks to be parallel with each other instead.
    I'm not sure about that, but I do know you should never put your chopsticks straight down vertically in a bowl of rice, due to funeral ceremonies where they do just that.

Also, and this was just from a magazine I was reading once about buisness trips to Japan, it's a bad Idea to go out in the kimono's that hotels will sometimes give you. The reason why is these kimono's are, for a lack of a better term, pajama's. So you are just walking out into the streets with your jammies on. They aren't meant for going around town or ceremonies.

Made Sig and Avi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    Why are the dogs named Alexander? I mean, in a lot of anime and stuff, most of the pet dogs are named Alexander...
    Maybe the name was just popular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Denki Wolf;4246529]
    Also, and this was just from a magazine I was reading once about buisness trips to Japan, it's a bad Idea to go out in the kimono's that hotels will sometimes give you. The reason why is these kimono's are, for a lack of a better term, pajama's. So you are just walking out into the streets with your jammies on. They aren't meant for going around town or ceremonies.
    In all honesty, I'd be surprised if anyone literally did or even considered doing this. One look at them, and you'll see they're very robe-like and obviously for indoor use. There's nothing about them that even looks like something you'd wear to a ceremony or a festival. When I first saw them, the thought to wear them outside of my hotel never even crossed my mind, and I didn't have the prior knowledge of not doing so beforehand either. It just seemed obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, if you don't look Japanese then any eccentric behaviour will be brushed off as just part of your foreign-ness. Japanese people will generally forgive any cultural faux pas so long as you act apologetic and say sumimasen a lot.

One thing that goes hand-in-hand with never wearing shoes indoors is never going barefoot outdoors. Both stem from the idea of keeping the dirty outside separated from the clean inside of a house - and if you don't wear shoes outside, you have nothing to take off to keep the inside of the house clean.

When you put down your chopsticks, rest them on a holder on a table or across the top of your dish. Don't leave them with the ends stuck or sitting in the dish; this is only done when leaving rice for dead people and so is considered poor manners and bad luck. (Related tip: if you're given disposable chopsticks, you can fold the paper wrapper into a little rest to put your chopsticks down on.)

Never pass food from one set of chopsticks to another. If you want to share, either place food on someone else's dish or take it directly from their dish. Passing between chopsticks only happens when you are passing bones around after cremating the dead, so again: bad manners and bad luck.

When in an izakaya, it's completely normal to call SUMIMASEN! across a crowded room to get the attention of the staff. Less so in restaurants.

I guess I should've mentioned that you don't pour anything over your rice, if the rice is a dish by itself. For example, a plain bowl of rice...but let's say you have Curry rice, of course you'd mix the curry and rice together.
    That really depends. There are a lot of meals where it's totally normal to put bits of your meat/veg/whatever on your rice and eat it together. And plenty of Japanese people will put sauce or furikake on their rice. I have one Japanese friend who loves to mix mayonnaise into her rice, then eat it with nori. (She convinced me to try it once and it was surprisingly good!)

Quote Originally Posted by Denki Wolf View Post
    lol... those are yukata, and yes, they're basically pyjamas. You can buy nicer yukata for outdoor wear though - they're the standard outfit for fireworks festivals in the summer.
    いまでは、ホラ
    笑いながら話ができるよ

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow miyoun On Twitter

I know this place hasn't been posted in awhile, but I was wondering... what are the exact "do's and dont's" of chopstick etiquette?

The subject seems really untouched upon on a lot of blogs I read. Pretty much a lot of people are like "I'M A FOREIGNER I DON'T CARE JAPANESE PEOPLE DON'T CARE COS I'M FOREIGN" but I'd rather be very polite because in nature I am.

Also I've always been very curious.

誰もが butterfly ぶった spider | twitter | last.fm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miyoun View Post
    I know this place hasn't been posted in awhile, but I was wondering... what are the exact "do's and dont's" of chopstick etiquette?

The subject seems really untouched upon on a lot of blogs I read. Pretty much a lot of people are like "I'M A FOREIGNER I DON'T CARE JAPANESE PEOPLE DON'T CARE COS I'M FOREIGN" but I'd rather be very polite because in nature I am.

Also I've always been very curious.
    Well, what's polite in one person's culture maybe rude in another. I was actually scolded for something I was doing that was considered "rude" when back home, it wouldn't be, but never mind that for now.

Only thing I can think of as far as chopsticks go is to not point with them. If you're passing food with them, use the other end of them, not the side you eat from. Do not stick them down straight into a bowl of rice. If you have to put them down for some reason, just set them on your holder as opposed to sticking them down into a bowl of rice (for instance). That's about all I can think of right off. Maybe someone else can think of something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is to my understanding that you are to treat random business card you get from people like a collector treats there collection extremely delicately. And crushing someone's business card is the ultimate ultimate insult. Not sure if this true though.
    I am not a Nyanners fan. I am an addict. Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life. I want my soul back. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    It is to my understanding that you are to treat random business card you get from people like a collector treats there collection extremely delicately. And crushing someone's business card is the ultimate ultimate insult. Not sure if this true though.
    I'm going to assume this is true. Most people here carry business cards to trade, and thus, most have business card holders not only to hold their own cards, but to be able to take others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    I'm going to assume this is true. Most people here carry business cards to trade, and thus, most have business card holders not only to hold their own cards, but to be able to take others.
    Business card exchange is a big thing if you're at a conference, business meeting, formal dinner... anywhere you might make any kind of professional contact. If you're offered a business card, it's polite to take the card with both hands, look it over, and put it carefully in a case/wallet/pocket. Don't just grab it and stuff it wherever. Crushing someone's card isn't "the ultimate ultimate insult" but it would be considered pretty rude.

Also, if you're living and working in Japan you should have some of your own business cards made up. A lot of places will do them in Japanese on one side, English on the other.
    いまでは、ホラ
    笑いながら話ができるよ

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast