The Japanese Culture Thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Japanese Culture Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Japanese Culture Thread

What is the usual dress code for older/elderly women wearing a kimono?

Obviously, plainer designs tend to be more suitable. I was thinking of perhaps just going with a plain, single color and no pattern. Fail at drawing patterns anyway...

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Marshall View Post

Obviously, plainer designs tend to be more suitable. I was thinking of perhaps just going with a plain, single color and no pattern. Fail at drawing patterns anyway...
    If I'm not mistaken, there's this thing about the sleeves being shorter than a younger girl's, but I'm not sure if that's the case still in this day and age.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai Marshall View Post

If I'm not mistaken, there's this thing about the sleeves being shorter than a younger girl's, but I'm not sure if that's the case still in this day and age.
    Unless you're referring to the Furisode kimono, which I believe is worn when a woman comes of age, then I think most ordinary kimono for women have the same sleeve length, but I could be wrong.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Quote Originally Posted by make_it_worse View Post
    i heard that students have to change their shoes when entering school, can someone explain that?

Taking your shoes off literally means keeps the floor clean. The reasons and significance for this is to have to do with teaching students responsibility and respect. Keeping the school clean is the student’s responsibility.

Blog Entries

Default Japan Dos and Don'ts

Hello everyone. I know we have a lot of threads here that prompt some interesting discussion, but I decided to start this thread up since this is the "Land of the Rising Sun" forum. There's more to Japan than just anime and manga. There's culture too, and we do have a thread for that already, but this one will be a bit different.

I would like to talk about the "Dos and Don'ts" of Japan. What's acceptable and what isn't? What do you think is okay? What isn't? What have you heard was okay or not that you'd like to share so that we may discuss it and why said thing is okay or not okay? You can even base this on what you may have seen in anime or read in manga.

I'll start off with a "don't" that I've always been told...never pour soy sauce over your rice if eating in Japan. I guess if you're in the privacy of your own home, sure, but not when out.
    Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; 4th June 2012 at 01:56 AM.

Default Re: Japan Dos and Don'ts

Soy sauce is disgusting in your rice, but tastes good elsewhere, so I guess they just have good taste :) I do, however, like satay sauce to the rice, and it's the only thing I can put over my rice, but I don't know what they say in Japan about this.

I know that in Japan, you don't walk with your shoes indoors, but I guess part has to do with that you have tatami on the floors. Usually, you don't walk with shoes indoors in other countries either, but a regular floor is often easy to clean. Then, of course, it's not considered very nice to walk with outdoor shoes in a house.

There are also some things you're not supposed to do when you eat with chopsticks. You're meant to grab the food with the chopsticks, so you don't pierce the food like you do with a fork.

One thing I like, is that you can slurp your noodles. My family gets mad at me when I do that, because where I live it's not accepted as it is in Japan.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Te-em View Post
    Soy sauce is disgusting in your rice, but tastes good elsewhere, so I guess they just have good taste :) I do, however, like satay sauce to the rice, and it's the only thing I can put over my rice, but I don't know what they say in Japan about this.
    I guess I should've mentioned that you don't pour anything over your rice, if the rice is a dish by itself. For example, a plain bowl of rice...but let's say you have Curry rice, of course you'd mix the curry and rice together.
    I know that in Japan, you don't walk with your shoes indoors, but I guess part has to do with that you have tatami on the floors. Usually, you don't walk with shoes indoors in other countries either, but a regular floor is often easy to clean. Then, of course, it's not considered very nice to walk with outdoor shoes in a house.
    Yeah. Keep the outdoor dirt outside and the indoor dirt inside. lol The tatami is probably part of the reason like you said, but it's done everywhere, tatami or not. Even going to a clinic or some places of business, visitors have to take off their shoes and put on the slippers provided.
    There are also some things you're not supposed to do when you eat with chopsticks. You're meant to grab the food with the chopsticks, so you don't pierce the food like you do with a fork.
    This probably depends on the actual food, though, because there are some foods (like a big meatball for example) that's difficult to pick up without "puncturing".
    One thing I like, is that you can slurp your noodles. My family gets mad at me when I do that, because where I live it's not accepted as it is in Japan.
    Well, in America it's taught that slurping soup is rude. Japan, like you said, it's the opposite. That's something I still have trouble doing...eating ramen loudly. People are usually impressed with how quietly I can eat soup. It's a habit that I've yet to break. lol

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

This youtube user makes videos about Japan do's and don'ts: Gaijin Tips - YouTube

I'm ALWAYS barefoot even during the cold Chicago blizzards, so thats one thing I won't have a hard time adjusting to
    Anime and Manga lover! Hetalia! Pretty Cure! Bleach! Sailor Moon Abridged! Lucky Star! Shugo Chara! Yep my interests are totally random!
    Circumference is as easy as Pi!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

So I hear in Japan that it is considered good manners to pick your nose, so I'm guessing using a tissue is considered a don't am I correct?

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    So I hear in Japan that it is considered good manners to pick your nose, so I'm guessing using a tissue is considered a don't am I correct?
    .... Who said that? That's just some random rumor. Nobody goes around picking their nose.

They don't like being in debt of one another. For instance, they consider borrowing money as being rude. So for instance, if someone forgets their wallet and doesn't have money to buy lunch, they rarely ask even the closest friend for money - in that sort of case, they'd just skip lunch.

Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Blowing your nose in public is considered rude, so it's a lot more acceptable to just sniff than it is over here. Haven't heard anything about picking noses, though.

Blog Entries

I was always told that you're not supposed to use an umbrella while riding your bike, but I've rarely seen people follow this rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Blowing your nose in public is considered rude, so it's a lot more acceptable to just sniff than it is over here. Haven't heard anything about picking noses, though.
    Neither have I. Besides, the only people I've ever seen picking their noses have been young kids who haven't really learned how gross a habit it is yet.

Blog Entries

Is it true that you need to say: "Itadakimasu!" and "Gochisousama deshita!" before and after every meal you eat?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post
    Is it true that you need to say: "Itadakimasu!" and "Gochisousama deshita!" before and after every meal you eat?
    It probably depends on the place and the situation. For example, if you're sitting in your own home, I doubt you "have" to say it. If around other people, or at somebody's home, it's polite to do so, as your host/hostess probably would. If in a school setting, it's a "must". If you're in a restaurant, I'd say it's optional, but if you're with someone else and they do it, the you should too.

Getting down to it, if you're around it long enough, you start doing/saying it out of habit. For instance, if you finish a meal at a restaurant and you're paying for the meal, you can say "gochisosama deshita" to the clerk.

Adding on, it's customary to wait for everyone to be served before eating your own meal.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast