Thread: The Japanese Culture Thread

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The Japanese Culture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Marshall View Post
    Oh gee, I am so forgetful...

I also wanted to ask if it's normal for family conversations to happen over a meal... Or at least in my comic's case, it is normal for a father and his child to converse while eating a meal? Or does that old saying "Children should be seen and not heard" apply over there as well?
    It's common for families to talk during meals, and this includes the children. Having stayed with a Japanese family (mother, father, and child), it seems to be common and normal. I don't think that "children should be seen and not heard" mentality is the norm, as I've never seen it. Kids to me, imo, are actually quite pampered.
    While I'm at it, I may as well ask more about "gochisousama deshita". I imagine the person thanking turns their eye contact to whoever prepared the meal, holds their hands in the Namaste position, and says this, essentially saying thank you for the meal? Anything else to this?
    Nope, never saw that. They just close their eyes, clap their hands and say it.

Blog Entries

Alright, that works.

Thank you.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

Are Otaku's really hated there?

maybe. When I was over there, I didn't see many otaku (by which I mean people who loudly display their interests as such) outside of Comiket and Akihabara. I'd occasionally see someone walking about with an Angel Beats! tote-bag, but that was about it. I guess, as with anybody with certain interests, it's just common courtesy to keep reserved in the public eye (honestly, I'd probably wanna punch a fellow otaku myself if they weren't being very considerate of the time and place... can you imagine some obese slob wearing a Naruto headband and practicing bullshit handsigns at a wake? And the dead in question WASN'T a vocal Naruto enthusiast?).

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Blog Entries

but not displaying it to public, maybe ?

Blog Entries

Yeah, seems that outside of places like Akihabara where people may cosplay on the weekends and go to hobby shops, I don't think many people would be very open about it. Otaku aren't really looked upon all that well, seemingly. I doubt that they are hated, though, but maybe viewed as being socially inept. I'm under the impression that an otaku would be considered an extreme or obsessive fan of something.

Blog Entries

This is probably going to be a really odd request, and I don't think it's something that I can just easily search about in Google, but... What are the usual common floor plans for modern houses in Japan? (Heck, this might not even be the right thread to ask about this...)

Yeah, it's for my comic again, this time the house of the main characters in my comic. Currently in my current sketches/drawings, the Murakami residence is a small, two story house intended for a small family. It also includes a balcony on the second floor, made of wood. However I've only drawn the outside and neighboring area of the house, and not any sketches of the inside or even a "floor plan" for reference. The only thing that I've included as of note in my comic's transcripts, is that most of the rooms are in western-style, the bedrooms are on the top floor and there is a Washitsu room.

Of course, since I don't have any ideas on the floor plans on most modern Japanese housings, I can't help but wonder if there are certain placements of rooms, like whether some would better belong on ground floor or upstairs. I'm especially wondering more on the Washitsu room. I'm not sure if it should be the same room with the balcony outside, meaning it would have to be on the second floor, or if it should belong on ground floor. If it is on ground floor, then I'm not sure about the balcony then, because from images I've seen, the balconies seemed a bit traditional'ish.

Maybe I'm over thinking things, but it was something I wanted to ask... If needed I can show my current drawings as a visual guide of my set up. They might be better, I dunno.

Thank you...

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

From my experience, washitsu tend to be on the ground floor. And the balconies for most Japanese homes aren't really traditional, more like apartment balconies.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't know how to describe it. The ones I were in all had wood floors and one bedroom with tatami (washitsu). Oh, and yeah, from what I've seen of the balconies, they are more so like apartment ones, as it was already pointed out.

Blog Entries

This is probably going to be a really odd request, and I don't think it's something that I can just easily search about in Google, but... What are the usual common floor plans for modern houses in Japan? (Heck, this might not even be the right thread to ask about this...)

Yeah, it's for my comic again, this time the house of the main characters in my comic. Currently in my current sketches/drawings, the Murakami residence is a small, two story house intended for a small family. It also includes a balcony on the second floor, made of wood. However I've only drawn the outside and neighboring area of the house, and not any sketches of the inside or even a "floor plan" for reference. The only thing that I've included as of note in my comic's transcripts, is that most of the rooms are in western-style, the bedrooms are on the top floor and there is a Washitsu room.

Of course, since I don't have any ideas on the floor plans on most modern Japanese housings, I can't help but wonder if there are certain placements of rooms, like whether some would better belong on ground floor or upstairs. I'm especially wondering more on the Washitsu room. I'm not sure if it should be the same room with the balcony outside, meaning it would have to be on the second floor, or if it should belong on ground floor. If it is on ground floor, then I'm not sure about the balcony then, because from images I've seen, the balconies seemed a bit traditional'ish.

Maybe I'm over thinking things, but it was something I wanted to ask... If needed I can show my current drawings as a visual guide of my set up. They might be better, I dunno.

Thank you...
    Try to watch Doraemon or Toradora, or maybe Chocotto sister, the setting is always in the house..

Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

The home I stayed in had two (mostly unused, except for playing PS2) washitsu on the ground floor, and all other rooms just had normal wooden floors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by make_it_worse View Post
    Try to watch Doraemon or Toradora, or maybe Chocotto sister, the setting is always in the house..
    I don't really watch anime anymore, and they seem kinda boring to me and would be a bit of a chore to watch... (Well, maybe except Doreamon, but still.) Also, I'm really trying to not use anime as a source, unless I absolutely have to. Not to mention, I would have to search for those on youtube, and for some reason I don't think I would have much luck with that.

@jda95: Alright. Was there anything else of note of it?

As for the balconies, I guess it was just my eyes. Alright, kinda like apartment balconies. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

It was a three story house (keep in mind that Japanese houses are pretty narrow, so it wasn't too large). First floor as previously said was just the genkan and washitsu, second floor had the main kitchen/dining/living room as well as the laundry and main bathroom (and balcony), third floor was bedrooms.
    Last edited by jda95; 30th July 2011 at 11:51 PM.

Blog Entries

The way my fictional house is right now, is that it's a somewhat small house with only two stories, and the washitsu was on ground floor. I guess it wouldn't be too different from the one you stayed in?

Note that the house is kinda also on a raised concrete platform, and kinda near a small street. (I don't know what else to call it.) Also, I don't suppose exact location would have a big factor, right? I've kinda chosen the setting to be a small neighborhood area of Asahikawa City, which is in Hokkaido.

Blog Entries

I don't really watch anime anymore, and they seem kinda boring to me and would be a bit of a chore to watch... (Well, maybe except Doreamon, but still.) Also, I'm really trying to not use anime as a source, unless I absolutely have to. Not to mention, I would have to search for those on youtube, and for some reason I don't think I would have much luck with that.

@jda95: Alright. Was there anything else of note of it?

As for the balconies, I guess it was just my eyes. Alright, kinda like apartment balconies. Thank you.
    but just for saying, to perfectionize your own manga... but the best thing to do is to give a swim in the japanese culture visiting japan.. or guesss..

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast