How Do You Feel About Fan Service?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By FANG-TAN

Thread: How Do You Feel About Fan Service?

Mafia Hero Farfetchd the Vigilante's Avatar

Default How Do You Feel About Fan Service?

First Post here sorry if it's bad...

So I think we all have watched that one anime, where you'll get a picture of a charachter half naked or they'll be a seen with a bra slip, or even just a beach party episode.

How do you feel about those things?

Personally, I only have an issue when it distracts from the show. Like Rosario + Vampire for example. They really went heavy, and it seemed pervy-er than ever.

Yeah, I hope I'm using fan service right.....
    Friend Code 3952 7731 0975

Blog Entries

Follow Leggo on Tumblr Visit Leggo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: How Do You Feel About Fan Service?

I agree that too much fan service is bad as it might draw too much attention away from the actual story. Also, I don't really like the idea of people just watching anime for the fan service as fan service can become eventually become dull.

If used moderately, I feel that fan service is good now and then.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Don't like it. Not one bit.

some kind of madness TwilightBlade's Avatar Moderator

If I like everything else about the anime, I will power through the steamy scenes and questionable angles. Code Geass is what I have in mind. If it's just unrealistic and something I couldn't be able to explain to a friend or sibling, I won't even attempt to start watching the series.
    trade station
    art gallery
    ❝In this world, there are things you have to protect even if your hands get stained with blood.❞

Blog Entries

Follow Baka-kun on Tumblr

It honestly depends.
    I mean, when an adult character is in a swimsuit (for example) then yeah, I'm all for that; however, when it's constant panty/crotch shots of underage anime girls, I feel like a line has been crossed.
    The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate… Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the arcana is the means by which all is revealed. Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are… Death awaits you - Nyx (Persona 3)
    <- banner by TheEroKing of animesuki forums.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

To start off, I must say that fanservice always ends up being quite an amusing topic to me whenever it's brought up. And it's never really the topic itself that amuses me, it's the different reactions people have to it. I've noticed that there's a common recurrent instance of prudishness (or lack of) whenever the subject of fanservice (of the sexually-arousing variety) is brought up, and it always varies from person-to-person and the community's general locale (thus, difference in culture or societal views) or level of anonymity (thus, certain levels of openness about discussing personal fetishes and whatnot).

Honestly, when it comes in increments, I don't see much of a big deal. When you partake in Japanese fictional media as much as I do, you might even be desensitized to it. Even then, it's noticeable when fanservice starts overtaking an anime to the point where it does become a problem, and in thoses case I think it's perfectly reasonable to be bothered. Other than that, "wow, tit drawings, girls kissing, and a shirtless guy. Whatever. Moving on." Does it excel in other aspects? Am I unable to take the series seriously because of the writing? Because that's what really matters to me in the end. "Sex appeal" sells in almost every form of media, so viewers are honestly going to have to deal with suggestive content the majority of the time (at least in increments), especially within Japanese animation.

In cases where a series is nothing but fanservice and offers no story or any appeal whatsoever *besides fanservice* (like KissxSis, which is pure pseudo-incestuous fanservice), then I really don't care. I wouldn't watch those series myself (or at least for "story value") to begin with, because I wouldn't be able to take them seriously at all and there's really no reason to take them seriously. But honestly, if people enjoy watching those, then they have the freedom to enjoy the arousing imagery - I have no problems with that because it's none of my business. At the same time, I'm not forced to partake in it, so that's cool too. Still, that leaves me questioning why they don't just switch to hentai if all they really want out of an anime are tits, vayjayjay, and/or penis.

In regards to fanservice of the schoolgirl/lolita variety versus fanservice of the mature woman/MILF variety, I generally don't give a crap. They're drawings, not real people. If we're gonna get prudish about that, might as well have a problem with murder and violent situations in anime as well. Trying to lump real-life age and age-related psychology together with fictional art styles and creative writing is iffy at best, and even then the general shape and build of your typical loli/semi-loli/teenage character is no different from, say, every legal Asian girl I know. I point to you, Marie Rose.

tl;dr I'm not really bothered by fanservice unless tits literally become the show or are the show.

And honestly, what's considered fanservice varies from person-to-person. I view the Shinji/Kaworu dynamic in Evangelion to be a great plot point (one of the few people that actually cared about Shinji), while the fujoshi view it as something to justifiably go crazy over. With that said, I do enjoy the presence of cute females in an anime as an added bonus even if they're not sexualized.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; Today at 03:56 AM.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA