• 1 Post By Insanish Danish
  • 1 Post By Baka-kun
  • 1 Post By Blazaking
  • 1 Post By Dolce

Thread: Good Anime... Bad Ending

Stranger than you dreamt Batbloodx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Good Anime... Bad Ending

If you watch enough anime, it's bound to happen at some point.

So, you get into a series--REALLY into it--you get attached to the characters, immersed in the story, and start stringing episodes one after enough because you can't stand waiting to find out what happens next, and watch the plot unfold.

The inevitable end approaches, and your fingers are crossed for that explosive, memorable ending that ties everything together and gives it all meaning...

...but it never comes.

In some cases, it seems like the series isn't over--there's no sense of closure. It just...ends. In other cases, it just ends up being so disappointing that you wish you'd stopped watching a long time ago, just to spare yourself the anguish. And other times still, it's just that lingering, unsettling feeling of..."what."

For me, most recently, it was Kuroshitsuji season II. I LOVED season I; it started out a bit slow, but once the underlying plot became more apparent, it unfolded beautifully. The emotion, the character development, everything--and the last episode left me fighting back tears. I was hesitant to begin season II after the satisfying finale of season I, but at the same time, part of me wanted to know that it wasn't truly over.

I began season II, and it felt good to see the series I loved so much continuing on. Overall, I enjoyed it--the plot twists, the added elements--and then came the final episode.

(In case you haven't seen it...)

I felt so cheated! What a cheap, unsatisfying ending!

I'd like to know--what anime has done that to you?
    You're running after something that you'll never kill; if this what you want, then fire at will...

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Default Re: Good Anime... Bad Ending

Vampire Knight. Ugh I loved the anime so much, but the ending pissed me off so bad I can't even think about it without getting angry. Yuuki leaving with Kaname made me angry enough, but just the fact that Zero was left all alone and his brother was dead and UGH. I know the manga kept going on after that so the anime's conclusion wasn't the actual end to the Vampire Knight series, but it STILL made me so angry. I'm never going to get over it.
    Leggo likes this.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

Follow Baka-kun on Tumblr

Blue Exorcist's anime, allow me to elaborate.
    The first half was fairly faithful to the manga, no complaints there. The anime-original second half, on the other hand, was actually somewhat decent, if it weren't for the deus ex machina ending.
    They could've had an open ending (maybe at the start of the Impure King arc) to allow for a second season but no, they just had to have an original ending.
    Yato likes this.
    The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate… Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the arcana is the means by which all is revealed. Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are… Death awaits you - Nyx (Persona 3)
    <- banner by TheEroKing of animesuki forums.

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

One of the anime endings I've particularly disliked was Strawberry Panic's.

Elysion likes this.

Blog Entries

11eyes

I absolutely loved everything about it until the last episode came along. There was a lot of build up in the last episode, but it all just ends so anti-climactically. Why build it up so much and just ruin it like that? It could've ended just fine, but they rushed the ending way too much, so probably one of those shows that needed 24 or 25 episodes instead of the standard 13. It's too bad cause it had so much potential to be really good.
    [[[[[<>>>>=====+++++~~~~~Wave~~~~~+++++=====<<<<>]]]]]

|||||!!!!!////---+++===Weekly Song===+++---\\\\!!!!!|||||

Princess in trainin' Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Sekirei season 2 for me.

It just crushed me when the anime ended with a to be continued, and didn't continue after season 2. Being my favorite series, seeing a to be continued gets my hopes up just to crush me in the long run makes me want to cry honestly. And now I hate when any series does this.

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station

Don't need another hero. Rain Woman's Avatar

Lets see... YuriYuri is my recent one. Fate/Zero and Sword Art Online are up there too.

Because YuriYuri season 3 is confirmed, I won't bother it too much, but Fate/Zero was stellar, and the ending was just confusing. Sword Art Online, being a barely average anime to begin with, had a really shoddy ending, also.

Panty and stocking.
    WTF? -_-
    Also Sergeant frog will never freaking end so that too.
    BUGS!!
    We hope that, when the insects take over the world, they will remember with gratitude how we took them along on all our picnics.
    Currently wildly, violently obsessed with danganronpa..

超高校級の自然主義者

Princess in trainin' Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnidae View Post
    Panty and stocking.
    WTF? -_-
    Omg I agree! That was terrible, the anime was great up till that point!

And now I'm adding Sasameki Koto to my list, it was a sweet romance and all but there was no confession for the couple at the end. We got to see their relationship grow and develop, but no confession. At the very least the anime should have ended on this point. >_<
    Saturnidae likes this.

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station

Stranger than you dreamt Batbloodx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also sort of feel that way about the World God Only Knows. I wish it would have been longer--it seemed to end somewhat abruptly, and the final episode was just sort of open-ended. I mean...what was that? Did he die?
    You're running after something that you'll never kill; if this what you want, then fire at will...

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

The Vision of Escaflowne

In Kaichou wa Maid-sama! they just sorta... drop it. There's no real resolution. Since the story in the manga does continue, I do believe they were hoping to make a second season, but that never happened due to poor sales.

Follow Elysion on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Woman View Post
    Lets see... YuriYuri is my recent one. Fate/Zero and Sword Art Online are up there too.

Because YuriYuri season 3 is confirmed, I won't bother it too much, but Fate/Zero was stellar, and the ending was just confusing. Sword Art Online, being a barely average anime to begin with, had a really shoddy ending, also.
    Fate/Zero is the prequel of Fate/Stay Night, so it didn't have much of a choice with the way it ended(although I understand why you would think its confusing, since I had to watch it twice for everything to really sink it for me).
    "I could not love you."

Long live Haruka (May)! Haruka_Rules!'s Avatar

Hotarubi no Mori e. I love this movie to pieces and the character development was well done but I really hate how it ended. :(

Despite the disappointing ending I still highly recommended the movie. :)

Created by Princess of Hoenn

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

It's those darn anime that are based on ongoing manga, but only produce enough episodes to barely retell the beginning. If they're lucky, they might get a second season (or more accurately, a sequel series), but that's often still not enough to reach a satisfying conclusion. It's especially frustrating in cases where the anime gets localized, but the manga doesn't. I'm looking at you, Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple! One climactic showdown and they think everything is resolved?! But we never found out if he got the girl! I thought that was the whole point!!!

Another one that left me suitably disappointed was Ai Yori Aoshi. Even thirty-six episodes total (twenty-four in the first series, twelve in the sequel series Enishi) were insufficient to resolve....well, anything, really. The final episodes of the first series seem to set the stage for Kaoru and Aoi to publicly announce their engagement, but by the end of the second series, set two years later, we find out that their efforts still haven't gone anywhere. In this case, the manga was released Stateside, I just can't find the darn thing.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blood-C had just a terrible ending to it IMO. I realize they wanted a cliffhanger that they could eventually resolve with a Movie-but it was just awful to have to wait forever for the movie. I really enjoyed the series and then boom its over with no ending and no resolution-kind of ruined the whole thing for me.