Free! Discussion Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Free! Discussion Thread

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Free! Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club is a Japanese anime television series directed by Hiroko Utsumi and produced by Kyoto Animation and Animation Do. The basis for the anime is a novel titled High Speed! written by Kōji Ōji, which received an honorable mention in the second Kyoto Animation Award contest in 2011. The anime premiered on July 4, 2013.

Animation Do released a splash image for a new project in April 2012, which was followed by a television commercial for the project in March 2013.[2] The commercial quickly went viral among fans—especially users of the blogging site Tumblr, who quickly developed a following around what they dubbed as the "swimming anime".[3] Despite only being a 30-second commercial, a wide variety of fan works expanding upon the nameless characters from the ad were created, including hypothetical biographies, art, and fan fiction, along with online petitions calling on the studio to turn it into a real series.[4]
    The anime television series, produced by Kyoto Animation and Animation Do, is directed by Hiroko Utsumi, written by Masahiro Yokotani, features character designs by Futoshi Nishiya and music by Tatsuya Katō. It began airing in Japan on July 4, 2013 on Tokyo MX,[5] and it will also be streamed on the Japanese video-sharing website Nico Nico Douga[6] and Crunchyroll with English subtitles.[7][5] The opening theme is "Rage On" by Oldcodex and the ending theme is "Splash Free" by Nobunaga Shimazaki, Tatsuhisa Suzuki, Tsubasa Yonaga, Daisuke Hirakawa and Mamoru Miyano.

The original light novel High Speed! (ハイ☆スピード Hai Supīdo?) is written by Kōji Ōji, with illustrations by Futoshi Nishiya. Ōji entered it into the second Kyoto Animation Award contest in 2011, and it won an honorable mention in the novel category.[9] It will be published by Kyoto Animation on July 8, 2013

Since the anime only started airing today (July 4th, 2013), there may not be much to say yet. However, I am pretty sure many of you have seen hundreds of fanarts posted on Pixiv - even when only the first commercial was broadcast!

This is clearly another phenomenon stirring up the fandom - and who knows? This may turn out to be an awesome anime about swimming with five popular guys

Personally, I enjoyed the clips of swimming - the artwork depicting the splashing of the water and the beautiful blue colors of the pool really had a cooling effect, and it somewhat balanced the youthful energy the boys were giving off in the show. Maybe we'll get to see more depth of the story in the upcoming episodes.
    Last edited by Araragi-hakase; 25th December 2013 at 11:54 AM.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Default Re: Free! Discussion Thread

I watched the first episode. The plot didn't blow me away but it was good for what it was; besides, it should pick up as the show moves on. The animation was incredible the whole way through, and the characters are well designed and endearing enough to make me keep watching for a while.
    Yato and Kakuna Matata like this.

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

I was waiting for this anime... Indifferent at the moment, based on what I saw in the first episode.
    I didn't find it funny that the guys were given feminine names, same for Gou.

Let's see how it turns out... Will be following it till I get bored.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

I'm checking this out because it's bound to get dark somehow. The plot is okay, the characters are well fleshed out, and the setting and animation is really nice.

I found this interesting:

Scarlet's Bunch of Crap and Stuffs, oh god, Free Iwatobi Swim Club takes place in the...

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by HumanDawn View Post
    I'm checking this out because it's bound to get dark somehow. The plot is okay, the characters are well fleshed out, and the setting and animation is really nice.

I found this interesting:

Scarlet's Bunch of Crap and Stuffs, oh god, Free Iwatobi Swim Club takes place in the...
    Wow! So it's actually based on a real setting :D Nice!!

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

The animation of the show is really fluent... Which is, of course, a nice thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanDawn View Post
    It's nice to know that it's based on a real location. Do we have a name?

Not gonna lie, seeing muscular pretty boys call each other "-chan" had me a little weirded out. :P The premise of the show is decently interesting though. Even though sports anime aren't normally my thing, I'll give this one a few more episodes until I call it.

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

I'm watching AoT for the story, I'm watching Free! for the aggressive stripping and crack free!dom.

It's only the first episode, so obviously there's still room for it to grow, but I'm not expecting much.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok after seeing the first episode, first impressions were that it wasnt that too impressive or attention grabbing. heck even the first episode of Initial D was more captivating...
    Characters:

Haruka: he seems dull, boring and very unexcitable and has obsessions with swimming and eating fish. He reminds me of a less cheery version of Johnny from Phineas and Ferb

Rin: Not nearly as impressive as Rin Okumura, loud, Obnoxous, tempered, and has dental work that is between Soul and Charlie Mouse's

Nagisa: the annoying "tails" type character who has a very creepy obession with haurka. the first thing he reiminds me of is a not as weak but just as annoying Jimmy from Ed edd n eddy

As of now im not too impreesed but that may change.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

After having that ending theme stuck in my head frequently and being really entertained by gifs of the ED (that dancing, LOL), I finally caved in and watched episode 1 and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The animation was fantastic, the colors and character designs... everything looked really sharp! Something about the eyes in particular is really striking, and the general fluidity.

I'm not really fond of Haruka yet - though I'm sure he'll probably get some more, needed depth as it continues - and Nagisa is a little annoying on his own, but him and Makoto are kind of fun to watch together. Overall it was MUCH better than I expected, and so far the cast is entertaining enough together that it seems like the show will be at least a fun watch throughout.

Blog Entries

I enjoyed the first episode very much. I want more swimming boys, LOL! In all seriousness, and this has been said a lot, the animation is just beautiful and it's hard to look away from. So far, my favorite character is Makoto.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Watched the first episode today, and I was pleasantly impressed with it! Before it initially came out, I wasn't expecting much at all from it. Needless to say I really enjoyed the first episode. Plot isn't exactly relevant yet, but I say give that some time. It's got humor, intrigue, and a good cast. It's interesting to see KyoAni doing a show aimed at female fans, and so far they are doing great with that.

The animation is amazing, being so fluid and all that. The settings are pretty and the character designs are actually good, despite my thinking that they were originally plain and uninteresting.

As far as characters go, I actually like all that were shown as of right now. Nanase needs a bit more "umph" but I think he's very cute. Nagisa is entertaining and adds a nice energetic sense for the cast. Makoto is also good in that same aspect, but also bringing about a more 'down to earth' character. I'm expecting much from Rin! He seems like he'll be interesting, hopefully they can have much to work with for him... considering his relationship with Nanase and how they've interacted in both the past and present.

Overall I'm extremely happy with how this show is going, and I hope it'll continue to be interesting.
    HumanDawn likes this.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Follow Elysion on Tumblr

To be honest it seems a bit cliched, what with the childhood best friend turning into a complete competitive cold jerk several years later after moving to another country what have you. However, I did have fun watching it, and I think I think this is one of the few anime I'll stick with. Plus, it does get me more into the summer mood with the whole swimming concept. Can't wait to see where this goes.

I adore the character designs of Haru and Rin. And the blue haired guy with glasses we don't see yet.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Just saw episode 2. A quick start-up of the swim club. It's nice that they got approval within one episode - and lol for the preview for episode 3: They're practically begging for Rei to join the swim team even though he joined the track team :D I wonder what kind of back story Rei has.

EDIT: Free! Character songs are scheduled to be out 8/7 !! The album covers look really sweet!!
    Last edited by Yato; 11th July 2013 at 05:51 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast