Favorite Anime/Manga Genre?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Anime/Manga Genre?

Trust me, I'm the Doctor. rockman0's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Favorite Anime/Manga Genre?

Well, some people like Horror. Some people like comedy. Some people like romance? So, what's your favorite genre, whether its anime or manga?

Personally, I prefer cyberpunk or mecha.

I don't know, I like the bleak, dystopian worlds that are present in cyberpunk anime. Maybe, I'm an anarchist. o.O

Also, big mechanical humanoids being piloted by human beings are always epic, right?

So, what genres do you prefer?
    Last edited by rockman0; 2nd September 2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: changed title to something a bit more specific
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun
    When a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies.
    Night will fall and the dark will rise
    Demons run, but count the loss.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Favorite Genre?

Slice-of-life ftw, so very much.

How much more down-to-Earth can you get?
    My name is Steven.
    I'm interested in rare stones,
    so I travel here and there.

S. Stone

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I actually like a lot of shojo, personally >__>

<_<

slice-of-life is cool too. and pokemon manga are always winners in my books. idk I've watched/read a little bit of everything.

Blog Entries

Slice-of-life is always fun. I'm a big Mecha fan as well, so that gets some props. I have to say Comedy usually finishes it out for me, guess that's what I love me some Keroro Gunso, all of the above :D
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

Blog Entries

I've never heard of "slice-of-life." Could you give me some good examples? I'd love to see some.

NONE OF YOU ARE SAFE. Eldritch_One's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like my Harem books, but love action like DBZ and Bleach.

Ken Akamatsu Harem for the win.
    The Shining Trapezohedron - MAH BLOG!

THERE'S ALWAYS FREE CHEESE INSIDE OF A RAT TRAP.
    "I AM THE MOST AWESOME OF ROMANS. FUCKIUS YESIUS. COMMANDER OF THE LEGIO BADASSIUS!"

Blog Entries

Cyperpunk and sci-fi, where there's more of an emphasis on action than a potentially hackneyed or poorly written story. The Blame! universe is/are my favorite manga.

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rockman0 View Post
    I've never heard of "slice-of-life." Could you give me some good examples? I'd love to see some.
    Well first off, here's Wikipedia on slice-of-life stories.

Examples:

Katekyo HITMAN Reborn! (to an extent)
    Azumanga Daioh
    Yotsuba&!
    Hikaru no Go
    Oishinbo
    Bakuman
    Ristorante Paradiso
    Gente: The People of Ristorante Paradiso
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

In what world is Hikaru no Go "slice of life"? It's a... well, if you'd classify "Go" as a sport, it's a sports series, I guess.

But yeah, it's easy enough to understand what "slice of life" is from the name itself. It's not so much a "genre" as a simple note that the series is about normal people doing normal things without any fantastic elements getting in the way. I never quite got why that particular wording caught on, but eh...
    So.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    In what world is Hikaru no Go "slice of life"? It's a... well, if you'd classify "Go" as a sport, it's a sports series, I guess.
    Go is a sport in the same light that Chess is, so yes, I'm in agreeance with you when you think of it as being a sports series. In regard to slice-of-life, you really have to read it to find how much of a slice-of-life story it is. It's not so much about the plot that makes it a slice-of-life (not to say it's empty of anything in the plot that could support it being slice-of-life) but the setting where it takes place. You follow a fictional, yet almost real boy in his life, going to places that are directly based off of those in real life, in the same time when the story was being published/written. It's just like Bakuman, for example, except that the "expertise", flobw, is Go, not manga, or like AD, replacing comedy with Go.
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

If the Bakuman guys were possessed by the ghost of Shakespeare who wanted to become a successful modern day writer as well, yeah.

Bakuman is the story of up-and-coming manga artists, Hikaru no Go is the story of a ghost-possessed kid playing board games. Is Yu-Gi-Oh a "slice of life" story, too?
    So.

Blog Entries

Mecha (Transformers, GUNDAM)
    Adventure (FMA, Pokemon)
    Horror (Higurashi)
    Sports (Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, Beyblade)
    Fantasy (YuGiOh)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    If the Bakuman guys were possessed by the ghost of Shakespeare who wanted to become a successful modern day writer as well, yeah.

Bakuman is the story of up-and-coming manga artists, Hikaru no Go is the story of a ghost-possessed kid playing board games. Is Yu-Gi-Oh a "slice of life" story, too?
    You could argue... :U

The most supernatural (though, I'm sure Hotta intended for this case to be spiritual, which you could go on and on in debate about whether spirits are real or not) that Hikaru no Go does get, though, is like you said, the main character becomes the host for a spirit that has yet to be able to rest in peace. I believe, though, that this spirit is a metaphor for the main character's hidden genius, which gets revealed throughout the story. And even then, Sai (wrote in as part of the Fujiwara clan), the ghost's name, is forced to pass on, his spirit having discovered the true meaning as to why it had lived on throughout the centuries, thus entering a completely rational part of the story, instead of mostly rational like it is up until then. Not sure what it does for the case, but I feel like it is worth mentioning: the author wrote into the story the widely believed greatest Go player in history as having been only because of this spirit.

I'm not sure as to where Takahashi got the direct basis for Yu-Gi-Oh!, but it's greatly more supernatural than Hikaru no Go, at least I would say. But I would also go to bat for 'supernatural' being able to, depending on beliefs, be spiritual, though it seems to be quite the dead spirituality if so. Which brings me to the comparison of a mostly-if-not-completely dead religion to a still thriving Buddhism. A lot of Takahashi's story is feasible, the holograms produced by the Duel Disk system, for example, but then if you get into the Millenium Items and the entirety of the Millenium World arc itself, it gets to a point of crossing the line between supernatural and spiritual. If you were to remove all of that from the story, I would have absolutely no issue comparing it to Hikaru no Go in the slice-of-life respect. Though the story could be quite boring then, which a lot of first time HikaGo readers say (and most turn away from it; just the modernity of today, I suppose), but then I would say, for both, that they're missing out.

...Which is where I take this topic from being about slice-of-life to being about genres in general. Like the thread was asking, I only wanted to state my favorite and to leave it at that, especially moreso because the thread was just starting out.
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

Blog Entries

Not to stray further off-topic but, would Monster be considered "slice-of-life" or more of a "mystery?" The wikipedia entry I was pointed to kind of sounds like Monster.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Favorite Anime/Manga Genre?

Action all the way, I mean the impossible is possible right?

Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Princess Mononake and some good episodes of the Pokemon anime sing my tune.

I also like Hyao Myazaki and Takohata.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast