Dubs or Subs? - Page 9

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, dubs or subs?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubs

19 16.10%
  • Subs

44 37.29%
  • It depends on the show

49 41.53%
  • Neither; I speak Japanese

6 5.08%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dubs or Subs?

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

Default Re: Dubs or Subs?

Animated programs I prefer English Dubbed. The Dutch or Flemish dubs I want to strangle in their sleep.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

With anything live-action - not just in Japanese, but in any language - I prefer subtitles for sure.

With animation, I generally prefer subtitles because I find I usually prefer the Japanese voice-acting, but I'm not totally opposed to dubs. There are some animes, like Fullmetal Alchemist, where the English voice-acting is pretty good and I find that I like them pretty equally (although I hate Ed's dub voice for some reason). There are also some animes that I watched as a kid, like Sailor Moon, Pokemon or Digimon, where I'm used to hearing the dub voices and as a result, anything else sounds "wrong" even if it's technically better. (Unless it's really bad, like some of the SM English voice-acting in later seasons.)

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

It really does depend. For example, I can NOT stand the Pokemon dub. With that said there are Anime that I prefer to watch dubbed. Naruto being a prime example. The voices are amazing. Not to mention, Steve Blum as Orochimaru. That voice always gets to me, I squee. It's so creepy yet hot. Kabuto's English voice is great as well. Other dubs I enjoy are: NO.6, Clannad, Zoids, Inuyasha, Wolf's Rain, Fruits Basket, FMA/FMA Brotherhood, Shin Chan, Yu Yu Hakusho, Lupin the 3rd, Samurai 7, Dragonball. I'm sure there are others but I just can't recall.
    RIP Craig Andersen AKA Kimba W. Lion (1955-2012)

"World's Greatest Kimba Fan"

Blog Entries

I also think some of my preference for subtitles may be also that I'm a foreign language geek, and I like seeing what I can pick up - even if it's just a little bit - from watching something subbed. Again, any language, both live-action or animated media.

But in particular I think live-action needs to be subbed because it's the actors themselves on the screen, and by dubbing you're eliminating a part of their "performance," and thus only showing pieces of it. So I think live-action should only be subbed when it's for kids (since younger ones might not know how to read). Whereas in anime, you don't have the actors themselves on the screen, and thus you can separate them from the characters.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Like many have said, it depends on the show IMO. Cowboy bebop for example; I love dubbed in english! Heck I think it feels more right than in its native japanese. But the majority of shows are better left in their original japanese format (with subs of course). Some are just plain akward to watch in the english dub...
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Blog Entries

I also heard someone make a good point that subs are pretty much essential if the particular work is set in Japan and/or very grounded in Japanese culture, because some jokes will get lost in translation in a dub (hell, some will still get lost in translation in a sub if you don't know the language, but you'll get a better idea of it than you would with a dub), even if you're dealing with one that doesn't try to Americanize things. Azumanga Daioh is a good example of this, from titles just off the top of my head. But if you have a work that's set in a Western culture or something similar (e.g. FMA), dubs can not only be okay, there are some cases where they're actually preferable. Like, I've heard that the dub of Baccano is really good because it takes place in prohibition-era America and is able to add different English-language accents that you don't have in the Japanese.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

I start watching them in Dub mode, and eventually switch to Sub whenever I feel the urge to do so. Sub is sometimes better because of better VAs and originality. yet, the ability to understand the 100% is important, especially when the subs aren't that descriptive.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    I also heard someone make a good point that subs are pretty much essential if the particular work is set in Japan and/or very grounded in Japanese culture, because some jokes will get lost in translation in a dub.
    Of course, even then the jokes won't be as funny. Unless you've study Japanese culture and I'm sure some fans out there have but a lot are likely to not LOL so much since they're not likely to get Japanese puns, cultural references, etc. all the time. And translation notes don't help since as the Joker says:
    Don't explain jokes - YouTube

I find subs generally seems to suit the flow of dialogue in the shows better if done competently. I think there's also an element of the emotions of the voice actor not having to be converted through two languages that make things feel slightly more authentic in a way. That being said, I much preferred the dub of Baccano! to the original voice track- I guess I justify it seeing as the American accents are contextually-appropriate. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azurist View Post
    I find subs generally seems to suit the flow of dialogue in the shows better if done competently.
    Though not everyone can be a fast reader.

To be honest, I found a lot of dubs can have better dialogue than the subtitles. 'Course, I suppose the delivery of the VAs have something to do with that.

As a guy who likes dubs over subs for reasons other than "not having to read subtitles," things can get very lonely...

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

If I am personally given the choice between the two, I'll choose the sub. Sometimes if I'm watching a series with someone else (particularly my boyfriend) I'll end up watching the dub, as he prefers dubs, as do a few my other friends. So long as the dub isn't awful I'll watch it. (Of course, my bf will watch the subs with me if the dub isn't available or if it sucks XD)

If I'm watching a series alone, though, I'll choose the sub if I have access to it. Exceptions include Pokemon and Digimon (the new Digimon DVDs came out and they're only dubs :/) and Maison Ikkoku since I have most of the series on VHS and it's dubbed VHS, haha.

Seeing others' posts about not reading fast or whatever makes me think of my mother, my mom has nothing against anime whatsoever, but she hates watching literally anything subtitled XD (like even something like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, stuff like that she won't watch subbed either) so she gets annoyed when I watch subs on the main TV. Dubs she doesn't mind though XD

For me it depends on the show/voice actors. Sometimes the dub will sound so bad I have to listen to subs. But then again, some subs aren't great, either.

Mostly dubs. I just enjoy watching more without having to read everything a character says.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Channeler View Post
    For me it depends on the show/voice actors. Sometimes the dub will sound so bad I have to listen to subs. But then again, some subs aren't great, either.
    that's true, sometimes you end up with bad quality subs. like one time my bf wanted me to watch a fansubbed episode of Detective Conan (Case Closed) and the subs were awful, full of spelling mistakes and other such nonsense XD

Blog Entries

Subs, no doubt about it.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast