Dubs or Subs? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, dubs or subs?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubs

19 16.10%
  • Subs

44 37.29%
  • It depends on the show

49 41.53%
  • Neither; I speak Japanese

6 5.08%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dubs or Subs?

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Default Re: English vs. Japanese

Other than the reason of being original, another reason of me to prefer Japanese is that the way of how the Japanese colloquial language reflects the characteristics of a character. Even you are reading only a dialogue on paper, you can feel their tone, their characteristic and their personalities, where this may be difficult for English.

For one very simple example, the first person pronoun I in English is simply "I", not another alternative. (or may be I just don't find another one)
    But in Japanese, you may address your ownself as "watashi", "atashi", "watakushi", "boku", "ore", "oira", "oresama", "uchi", "wai", .... etc. Each of these different alternatives are used generally by different person with different characteristic, and hence address your own self differently in Japanese will reflect what kind of person you are and generally what personality you have.

May be another example: in the anime Sister Princess, all twelve of the sisters address their older brother Wataru in all twelve different ways:
    Karen: "Onichan", Sakuya: "Onisama", Kaho: "Onichama", Hinako: "Onidama", Mamoru: "Ani", Haruka: "Anikimisama", Chikage: "Anikun", Marie: "Ani-ue", Shirayuki: "Niisama", Rinrin: "Aniki", Yotsuba: "Anichama", Aria: "Niiya".
    Do you think they can make up twelve different ways (not a single duplicate) in English? I don't think so.
    And also, each of the different ways of how they address their brother reflect their personalities, so it is kind of interesting.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

If an English dub exists out there. I will watch that. If it does not exist with an English dub what so ever. I will watch the Japanese dub with subs.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
    If an English dub exists out there. I will watch that. If it does not exist with an English dub what so ever. I will watch the Japanese dub with subs.
    Same goes for me.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

なにこれひどいw

none of them is my mother tongue, so i choose japanese.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Depends on the show. I've been attached to Pokemon in English ever since I bought Pokemon Red, so the English version is much more easier for me to understand than Japanese. Like, when they use battle moves, or call each other's names.

In the case of Digimon, I definitely like the Japanese version better. Not because of the voice actors, but because there had been a lot of changes through dialogue content in the English version that even changed actual facts that had been in the original version. I had watched Digimon Tamers both in English and Japanese, and there had certainly been changes, although they weren't big enough to affect the major plots. If they had translated exactly as they were in Japanese, I would've liked it, but the change in content was a little disappointing. I disliked the unnecessary puns, too.

I've seen Death Note both in English and Japanese, and I liked both versions. Both voice actors for Light Yagami did very well :)

For me, it really depends on the Anime I am watching.....If they haven't gotten to far in dubbing the show I will watch the Japanese version. But I also watch the Japanese version to see if I even want the English one. It's how I got into Ouran Highschool Host Club.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
    Japanese can't be dubbed. Only English or another language can be dubbed.

English is my second language and I study English, but I prefer to watch Japanese anime. The Japanese language portrays a character's personality better, in my opinion.
    I claimed the fabulous Burgh in the Official Claim-A-Character thread, and I claimed Quiver Dance in the Official Claim-A-Move thread.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Glaciate View Post
    Japanese can't be dubbed. Only English or another language can be dubbed.
    It can if the source material isn't Japanese. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    It can if the source material isn't Japanese. :P
    You're right, but almost all anime is Japanese.
    I claimed the fabulous Burgh in the Official Claim-A-Character thread, and I claimed Quiver Dance in the Official Claim-A-Move thread.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Glaciate View Post
    You're right, but almost all anime is Japanese.
    There is no reason this discussion should be restricted to anime alone.

Even in Anime, Transformers Armada was aired in English first. In fact, it was aired so early that the animation team hadn't even finished animating the episodes leaving scenes which should have contained some Transformers to be completely empty. This also resulted in the dub quality taking a serious hit where characters are refered to by different names all the time. Almost every character was referred to as Sureshock atleast once throughout the show's run and many times, the Characters were called by their Japanese Name, like the combination of Jet Fire and Optimus(Convoy in Japan) was incorrectly called Jet Convoy several times instead of Jet Optimus.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Dubs or Subs?

Sorry if this already exists.

Anyway, it's the question that plagues all anime fans; English translations, or English subtitles added to the original Japanese version?

As for myself, I typically prefer dubs. They sort of allow me to become more familiar with the characters, instead of people that help push the plot along.

Which one do you prefer?

Subtitles, always.

I have watched so much anime subtitled now that hearing English voices in them just seems terribly...wrong.

And the dubs always censor or otherwise modify something from the original, and I hate that.

Either give me the creator's original vision, or don't give it to me at all.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dubs or Subs?

Subtitles!!!

Think of it as a book. Original is always better. The voices are excellent and the English just ruins it :/ also I hate how the English (like 4Kids) censor thing that don't need too. They act like in the future we won't learn about this.. Yeah..Original is the best.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Both have their merits. Dubs and subs are merely different means to the same end: rendering something in a foreign language understandable to a new audience. Neither can truly be considered superior to the other, because both of them alter the original work to some degree. If you want the creator's original vision, you're going to have to learn a new language.

Dubs take away the original voice acting of a show, but leave the visuals intact and present a viewing experience that is much more akin to domestically-produced media. It's an especially obvious choice for animation, where it is much easier to get lip flaps to match up to translated dialogue than in live action.

Subbed anime leaves the voice acting intact, but alters the visuals by overlaying subtitles. It can be argued that having to read all of the dialogue is a distraction from the visuals, and may in fact obscure important details. In addition, most media is not subtitled, making the viewing experience less familiar to a casual viewer.

There are also conventions associated with both forms of translation which, while not always present, are common enough to take into account. Subtitles usually go for more literal translations, while dubs will alter dialogue where necessary in order to make it seem natural: putting literal translations into the mouths of actors gives you Speed Racer-style stiltedness. Would you prefer to have a joke translated literally, conveying exact meaning but robbing a scene of its humour, or would you rather a different, related joke was put in its place? You've lost some meaning there, but the scene has served its purpose of being humorous. Both of these choices are valid ones.

We should be cautious, however, of judging an entire translation medium on the basis of largely unrelated sins. People associate dubs with censorship and cuts, but this association is only made because all television anime for a younger audience is dubbed, and that is the type of anime most likely to be cut for content. People associate dubs with poor acting, but this is an increasingly rare phenomenon in anime: as far back as the mid-nineties, the Japanese director of (the now sadly obscure) El-Hazard was promoting the English dub of the show as the definitive version, based on the strength of the dub cast. Additionally, can a non-Japanese speaker truly judge the quality of a Japanese voice performance? Certainly, we can enjoy elements of it, and I have my favourite Japanese actors despite knowing very little Japanese myself. But would any of us be able to pick out a bad performance? I'm pretty sure I couldn't. It's basically impossible to objectively compare performances in two languages when you only speak one of them.

Similarly, there are issues that subtitles can have: they can move too quickly, be ambiguous or hard to read, poorly timed, in a ludicrous font, or so on. All of these are problems that subtitles can have, but they shouldn't be used as blanket criticisms against the whole practice.

Personally, I will usually watch a show both subbed and dubbed if the option is available. When effort has been put into both forms of translation, they can offer two quite different ways of enjoying a show.

(For what it's worth, dubs for shows like Pokemon are of such high quality compared to the dubbed kiddy-anime of my youth that if you'd showed current episodes of Pokemon to me as a kid, I'd have scarcely believed my early-nineties ears. In the grand scheme of things it's a fairly average dub, but I wonder if the younger fans realise just how far we've come in the space of twenty years)

Blog Entries

Visit double trouble!'s Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinPaula View Post
    Subtitles!!!

Think of it as a book. Original is always better. The voices are excellent and the English just ruins it :/ also I hate how the English (like 4Kids) censor thing that don't need too. They act like in the future we won't learn about this.. Yeah..Original is the best.
    This.
    I only watch subs now.
    I can't watch dubs anymore, they sound weird to me.

Also, subs are the only choice for current anime.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast