Dubs or Subs? - Page 11

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, dubs or subs?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubs

19 16.10%
  • Subs

44 37.29%
  • It depends on the show

49 41.53%
  • Neither; I speak Japanese

6 5.08%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dubs or Subs?

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default Re: Dubs or Subs?

I usually stick with subs, especially if the dub version contains heavy edits or the show relies heavily on Japanese idioms or wordplay. I find the quality of voice acting is a lot more variable in dubs, and they often overact or miss the mark on the tone of scenes. Some dubs are excellent though, like Cowboy Bebop and a few of the studio Ghibli movies. There's even a few dubs I'd consider to be better than the original version, namely Baccano! and Samurai Pizza Cats.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Even though I prefer subs generally, I do think there's an argument to be made for dubs as a way to turn more people on to anime, as most people are not interested in watching something with subtitles.

Like, I have to wonder if the reason that foreign films rarely make much bank in the U.S. is the fact that they're almost always shown here subtitled, whereas American films will get dubs in a lot of foreign countries even if they're live-action. I mean, with live-action films I have an even stronger subs preference than with anime, but not everyone feels the same way I do, and if it means more people will watch something I think is a great movie/show, then I wish it would be considered more often.

Some people just don't want to read when they're watching a screen!

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Follow Elysion on Tumblr

It really depends. I usually prefer to watch an anime with subs, but once in a while there will be an anime(Baccano!)that's quite fun to watch dubbed. More often than not though, I just go with the subs.

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Seems over here with foreign shows and movie it gets both a sub and a dub. Live-action films too.

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011