Dubs or Subs? - Page 10

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, dubs or subs?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubs

19 16.10%
  • Subs

44 37.29%
  • It depends on the show

49 41.53%
  • Neither; I speak Japanese

6 5.08%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dubs or Subs?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dubs or Subs?

This is my beef with some fan subs:

Anime Fansub Documentary PART 1 - YouTube

Anime Fansub Documentary PART 2 - YouTube

Anime Fansub Documentary PART 3 - YouTube

Especially, when it comes to humor since explaining the joke just ruins and possible laughs. That's a key rule in comedy, people.
    Last edited by matt0044; 16th April 2013 at 05:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Visit Utsune's Youtube Channel

The never-ending debate lol. Rather, it's a matter of taste.

It is undeniable that some shows really mess up with the dubbing, whether the voices just sound outright stupid, or the loss of meaning upon translation.

Having said that, I do believe there are shows in which the dubs do extremely well. School Rumble is one, and then there is Black Lagoon which is on par or probably work even better than the original because of its setting.

I naturally don't go for dub myself because I know the language, but in the case of Black Lagoon I wished I had seen the dubbed first because the Japanese version is soooo cringy at times. And other than exceptional cases, I would recommend subs to other people as well, unless they prefer otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    This is my beef with some fan subs:

Anime Fansub Documentary PART 1 - YouTube

Anime Fansub Documentary PART 2 - YouTube

Anime Fansub Documentary PART 3 - YouTube

Especially, when it comes to humor since explaining the joke just ruins and possible laughs. That's a key rule in comedy, people.
    I have seen these videos, and on the whole I do agree with what he says. However, I do believe that retaining some of the Japanese words is absolutely fine. I would be overlooking new-comers in the world of anime in my following point, but I think most of us are already familiar with a whole bunch of terms, and leaving the Japanese terms in help us to better grasp the setting. A possible solution to the downside is to include Translator's Note right at the end, or at the beginning, just like a mini-Japanese lesson if you will.
    Last edited by Utsune; 24th April 2013 at 07:34 AM.

(Photography scraps) deviantART | YouTube (Random Music Covers)

I don't really mind. I'll just watch the dub until it ends, then go onto the sub.
    But I guess I prefer the sub. I love the Japanese language, so they sound cooler.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    I would be overlooking new-comers in the world of anime in my following point, but I think most of us are already familiar with a whole bunch of terms, and leaving the Japanese terms in help us to better grasp the setting.
    Maybe the names of character, sure, but otherwise, it's best to not assume that everyone knows this or that regarding the Japanese language. Especially when humor's involved. Explaining the joke won't bring in the yucks. Hate to side with a bad guy but the Joker from Batman makes a good point: Don't explain jokes - YouTube

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If an anime is available to me in English, I watch it in English. If not, I have to watch the Japanese version.

I voted "it depends on the show". I don't mind dubs unless I feel that the voice acting has butchered the show (i.e. Tokyo Mew Mew vs. Mew Mew Power).
    Soul Silver team (in progress)-

Please contact me for Mario Kart Wii friend code.

"Cat. I'ma kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance."

Blog Entries

Subs all day every day.

There'll be the occasional dub I like, but they are few and far between.

I voted subs, I love the japanese language. Watching something dubbed is alright I guess, but I prefer the subbed versions.

Anime Angel InuNaruPokeAlchemist's Avatar

Dubs, I can't keep up with subs D:

I take more out of watching an anime in my own native language.

Signature made by the1stpkmnfan of TheSpeedGamers

The Dimension Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

I'm okay with dubs I rather like most ones and being able to enjoy the show but thing is some information doesn't sink in unless I read it so in cases like that rather have subs. So usually whenever I watch a show I'll watch it subbed then dubbed.

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station
    "There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only the inevitable."

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

I'll watch a sub if it was done by a professional company. Most fansubs are terrible. Half of the japanese text is left untranslated and often the translation is a direct translation that makes me cringe. At least with a professional company, you can trust them to you know, actually translate it rather than leave half of it as it is and using stupid "Translator's Notes" to explain what the untranslated words mean. I mean really, why couldn't you just translate it if you're going to put in long translator's notes?

The point of translation is to, well, translate. If you can't do that, then maybe you shouldn't be doing subtitles at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    I'll watch a sub if it was done by a professional company. Most fansubs are terrible. Half of the japanese text is left untranslated and often the translation is a direct translation that makes me cringe. At least with a professional company, you can trust them to you know, actually translate it rather than leave half of it as it is and using stupid "Translator's Notes" to explain what the untranslated words mean. I mean really, why couldn't you just translate it if you're going to put in long translator's notes?

The point of translation is to, well, translate. If you can't do that, then maybe you shouldn't be doing subtitles at all.
    http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/072/5/9/fansub_fail_03__keikaku_by_grimmjack-d3bk5l4.jpg
    Seeing stuff like that, I completely know what you mean.

Blog Entries

Visit ashita's Youtube Channel

I must say it kinda depends on the show
    I would prefer to watch Pokemon subbed yet there is no legitimate way of getting hold of this stuff

Originally Posted by MAGNEDETH View Post
    personally, ive never been raped, but i try to rape as many people on a daily basis as i can.
    my record is 47 people in one day, oh what a day...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I can watch either dubs or subs myself. I'm not bothered by edits and "dumbing down," so dubs are just fine with me.

I even enjoy some of the 4Kids ones besides Pokémon, like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King, and I've seen the subbed versions too.

I even like Dragonball subbed more than dubbed. I have to admit, Masako Nozawa was tough for me to adjust to as I grew up with Sean Schemmel's Goku, but I feel she really nails the childlike aspect of Goku and his family. I actually like the Ocean dub as well. Of course I grew up with the FUNimation dub, but the FUNi Kai dub is my favorite. :)

So long as I enjoy the show or series, I'm happy. That's all I really care about at the end of the day.

If I can't, then it's another story, IMO.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 22nd June 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Either is fine for me. I mainly watch the dub version if it's available, but I've watched subbed anime before if the dub wasn't available yet or if the dub is unbearable to watch. I can't understand Japanese so I prefer dubbed anime so I don't have to read subtitles. Having to pause a video to read subs can be annoying at times. There's actually some well done dubs imo.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast