Dubs or Subs?

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, dubs or subs?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubs

19 16.10%
  • Subs

44 37.29%
  • It depends on the show

49 41.53%
  • Neither; I speak Japanese

6 5.08%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dubs or Subs?

Blog Entries
    Add OverlordRuby on Facebook
    Follow OverlordRuby on Tumblr

Default English vs. Japanese

Do you usually prefer the japanese voice actors in anime or the english voice actors? Do you like a mix of them?

I'll use Soul Eater as an example:

Maka: English. The japanese voice actor sound sort of... whiny, maybe?

Soul: Japanese. I don't know why.

Death the Kid: Japanese. The English sounds less like I would imagine a god to sound. And he sounds hilarious in japanese when he's having a symmetry tantrum.

BlackStar: Japanese. He just sound better that way.

Shinigami-sama: English, totally. The japanese voice actor sound really monotone, and the other sounds really awesome and goofy.

Blog Entries

Default Re: English vs. Japanese

Ahh, the ongoing Sub VS Dub argument.

For Dragon Ball (Z), I prefer the Japanese version since the English version deviates from the original in a sometimes BAD but sometimes good way in terms of story.

But for Dragon Ball Z Kai, I prefer the English version since FUNimation NAILED it thanks to them sticking to the JPN version and improving some of the old voices like Gohan's and Frieza's.

I prefer the English mainly because I can understand it and i can see for myself how well the voice actors do, But I love that Japanese because it is the original form of the Anime with no Dub edits.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends, only dub if the dub doesn't suck (Evangelion).
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

追放されたバカ

I like a subtitled original version because sometimes they dub it like the watchers are little babies that can't hear "damn,crap,etc."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tunahead View Post
    I like a subtitled original version because sometimes they dub it like the watchers are little babies that can't hear "damn,crap,etc."
    Actually, that's not the case for dubs that are faithful to the original. Hell, even unfaithful gag dubs like Shin Chan turn up the curse-o-meter to over 9000. So you're kinda making a dangerous assumption.

Also, the JPN language has no specific curse words but rather it depends on your tone and the context the words are used in. Besides, it takes REAL skill to write mature stories without resorting to cursing, especially if its obligatory.

追放されたバカ

I now watch most of my anime in Japanese.

In the English version of Bleach, there's really no way I would want to sound like Ichigo Kurosaki with random yelling and screaming for no reason. This is really when he's in his gigai. When he's in his substitute Soul Reaper form, he really sounds like a hero. His Japanese voice is very constant so it's good.

I only remember the Shinigami's voice off of Death Note from the Japanese version and Yagami Raito and Ryuzaki who was L and they annunciate every vowel and consonant in their Japanese words so I can understand and copy and repeat every one of them. It's just difficult to understand anime females in Japanese unless you were actually feeling what they were saying at the time.

I don't remember the English but I also like watching Fooly Cooly in English because every Saturday on Adult Swim, it comes on at 10:30 PM PDT just before Cowboy Bebop and they have a lot of scenes and they don't swear a lot, or shout just like when Higuchi yelled out, "zakenna" on the phone. Now I know that it's zakenna or fuzakenna and not sakenda or sakana or any random misrepresentation of the word.

Blog Entries

I like japanese dub the most because it's original, and seiyuus' apply their whole spirit when dubbing Animé.

Blog Entries

Well some voices might seem a little bit odd. But I think FMA is pretty good in the english dubbed version

Blog Entries

The Japanese dub is the very original dub so of course it would be better than any other dub to any other language. However, since I prefer watching shows in a language I understand, I'll always watch the English dub of any anime.
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Long live Haruka (May)! Haruka_Rules!'s Avatar

Japanese. I always like to watch shows/movies in their original language. :D

Created by Princess of Hoenn

Blog Entries

I don't know, it depends. If it's only in Japanese, you don't really have a choice, but it's nice to watch some anime that's been dubbed into English since they have more merchandise and you can discuss their voices and if the anime's new you can usually go and meet them. However, the majority of the animes I watch have yet to be dubbed into English =(

However, there is the rarity that I chose sub over dub. Lucky Star, for example. I just don't like the English voice. Especially for Konota. It feels all wrong and not hyper and energetic enough.
    ~ANARCHY SISTERS~
    Youtube [x]

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

English. Why in the world would I watch something in a language I don't understand? Even if the voice actors are horrible, its better than hearing some random gibberish that i don't uinderstand which makes it worse than the worst dubbing has to offer.

追放されたバカ

I have myself at least watched a couple episodes and a movie on Bleach in German, and Renji's voice could sound as if it was by an adult male. To me, it sounds all wrong but at the same time it's funny. It was found on Youtube since I don't own the German dub, only the English and Japanese dub of Bleach. Now you're talking about how he sounds on English, I might still remember how he sounded on that dub then. He sounded loud though.

The Counterweight TheArsenalRisen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So long as the voice acting is good, I don't care too much which version I watch.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast