Doraemon

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hurricane Kishore

Thread: Doraemon

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Doraemon

(Cover of the volume 1 manga)

If you live in Japan, you will know who Doraemon is. However, I don't, but I still know about Doraemon, because I was exposed to some of it because of the anime, which led me to get the manga, and it is a very intriguing series. For the uninformed, Doraemon is a robot cat from the future. He went back to the past to ensure that Nobita's life is on track to become better (in the beginning, he was shown to have a bad future). How does Doraemon do this? Well, thanks to his hyperspace pocket, he could dig out the necessary tool to solve problems. Other notable characters include Shizuka the love interest, Gian the big guy (or Takeshi) and Suneo the short boy.

One of the appeal of Doraemon are the tools. There are literally hundreds, possibly thousands of these, and they do amazing things. We have the commonly used ones like the Bamboo-copter (allows for flight by sticking it on the head, or in earlier versions, the back) and the Anywhere Door, or situational ones like a game controller that turns a person into a game character and that device that makes sure you adhere to a time table you give it. The other appeal is probably the adventures. Every year since 1980, there will be a Doraemon movie where the characters will go on epic adventures despite the main characters being children. That's right: Pokemon's not the only franchise to have annual movies!

Since I don't live in Japan, I don't get to see how famous Doraemon is there, but I understand its popularity because: One, even though the comics reached its end (Volume 6) due to the creators not thinking it to be popular, but after realising its significance, they continued by explaining how Doraemon returned; Two, it was one of the Asian Heroes, and as a fictional character to deserve this title, this is very significant because that title is normally given to real people.

This genius series is created by Fujiko F. Fujio, who is also known to work on some other series like Perman, Mami Sakura, Kiteretsu (Satoshi-kun is notably a big fan of this) and Mojacko. I guess they are even more rarely heard because Doraemon is just too big it eclipsed them all. Still, elements of those works manage to have cameo appearances in the world of Doraemon, so if you know the other series, you will recognise them.

I am not sure if you heard of Doraemon, but please share your thoughts or experiences about this long-running franchise if you do. In fact, the reason I made this thread in the first place is that I am surprised that no other person's first exposure to anime or manga is Doraemon.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Doraemon

I've only seen the series a few times, but even if you don't watch it (or never have), seems if you're here, you can't go without coming across it in some way or form. It's not my first exposure to manga/anime, as for me, that would've been Voltron (probably). That aside, I'm from the US. I've never seen Doraemon in the US at all. I never saw anything "Doraemon" until coming to Japan, even if I did know of it.

That aside, I'm not surprised there wasn't a thread on this. Seems it's rare for anyone to talk about older series or old long-running series.

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

A cute little robot girl. Satoshi-kun's Avatar Social Media Deputy Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Satoshi-kun On Twitter Add Satoshi-kun on Facebook
    Follow Satoshi-kun on Tumblr Visit Satoshi-kun's Youtube Channel

Doraemon is one of those series that I had to discover as an adult, as it has never been on TV in the US, where I live. With that said, it has so much fun and imagination that I truly feel that I kinda missed out not seeing it as a child.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun View Post
    Doraemon is one of those series that I had to discover as an adult, as it has never been on TV in the US, where I live. With that said, it has so much fun and imagination that I truly feel that I kinda missed out not seeing it as a child.
    I guess I am lucky to be exposed to it when I was young, although that would mean I would miss out on other types of imaginative children's series, like Pingu (I discovered it when I was in my teens). Come to think of it, do you think that other adults would enjoy Doraemon despite not growing up with it?

Also, I remembered that you mentioned that the older animation style did a superior job compared to the new one. Can you explain this opinion of yours?

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I watch Doraemon!
    I only want to know what Nobita become in Future and how successful was he !
    However , There is no way to know that now Since the Original creator of Doraemon died without planning a actual ending So it was decided that the show will run without a ending.
    All I know that Nobita will be separated from Doraemon in some point in Future.
    In a Unofficial Ending , Nobita said become a Expert in Robotics in future in order to fix Doraemon who deactivated because of his battery run out and Time Police forbidden people to travel back to Nobita's era!
    He even start to score higher Grade then Dekisugi in order to gain enough Knowledge to fix Doraemon.
    However , It was Unofficial !!!
    Also , The Nobita & Future Nobita from ''Nobita's Night before Wedding'' are totally different !
    Last edited by Hurricane Kishore; 14th September 2012 at 01:56 PM.
    SSJ_Jup81 likes this.

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Hm, on Tuesday, at work, I used "Doraemon" for my activity and example for the lesson I was doing. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post
    I watch Doraemon!
    However , There is no way to know that now Since the Original creator of Doraemon died without planning a actual ending So it was decided that the show will run without a ending.
    In a Unofficial Ending , Nobita said become a Expert in Robotics in future in order to fix Doraemon who deactivated because of his battery run out and Time Police forbidden people to travel back to Nobita's era!
    He even start to score higher Grade then Dekisugi in order to gain enough Knowledge to fix Doraemon.
    Also , The Nobita & Future Nobita from ''Nobita's Night before Wedding'' are totally different !
    I haven't watched much Doraemon, but this I have seen, the wedding thing....I think. lol He was such a dorky character for it, but that's Nobita for you. That unofficial ending actually sounds like a nice one, but they can always find a way to end the anime series at some point, but sad that the creator died before coming up with an official ending for the manga, even if it was '96.

Edit: Wait, just thought of something. It's obvious that Nobita definitely gets married and stuff since his descendents are the ones who send Doraemon back to the past. lol

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    Hm, on Tuesday, at work, I used "Doraemon" for my activity and example for the lesson I was doing. lol
    I watch Doraemon!
    I haven't watched much Doraemon, but this I have seen, the wedding thing....I think. lol He was such a dorky character for it, but that's Nobita for you. That unofficial ending actually sounds like a nice one, but they can always find a way to end the anime series at some point, but sad that the creator died before coming up with an official ending for the manga, even if it was '96.

Edit: Wait, just thought of something. It's obvious that Nobita definitely gets married and stuff since his descendents are the ones who send Doraemon back to the past. lol
    He wants to marry Shizuka but in the future Doraemon is from, he is married to Gian's sister.

Well, pretty much every kid in the Indian sub-continent has seen Doraemon. I have been watching it since 2005, since I was 11. My fave episode has to be the one with Halley's comet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    I watch Doraemon!

He wants to marry Shizuka but in the future Doraemon is from, he is married to Gian's sister.

Well, pretty much every kid in the Indian sub-continent has seen Doraemon. I have been watching it since 2005, since I was 11. My fave episode has to be the one with Halley's comet.
    However that future is Changed because of Doraemon So Nobita marries Shizuka.
    But Doaremon and Nobita's Great Great Great Grandson shouldn't exist because of this.
    I don't get how Sewashi still exist after Nobita married a completely different women from his timeline.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

However that future is Changed because of Doraemon So Nobita marries Shizuka.
    I know that. I have seen the episode of the day before thier wedding.

But Doaremon and Nobita's Great Great Great Grandson shouldn't exist because of this.
    I don't get how Sewashi still exist after Nobita married a completely different women from his timeline
    lol, I never thought about it before. I guess they handled the Grandfather's paradox pretty badly. Not that Doraemon is meant to be a complex show anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    I don't get how Sewashi still exist after Nobita married a completely different women from his timeline
    lol, I never thought about it before. I guess they handled the Grandfather's paradox pretty badly. Not that Doraemon is meant to be a complex show anyway.
    In the first chapter of the first volume of the manga, this is actually addressed. When Nobita's descendant mentioned how they are to make sure his life is changed for the better, Nobita replied that if his life were to change, his descendant will surely not exist. Do you know what's his reply? The gist of his explanation is basically "all roads lead to Rome", meaning that no matter what happened, his descendant will still exist. It would be probable that the one that would cease to exist is Nobita and Gian's sister's baby (they are shown to have a child in one of the photos), and in place, Nobita's (ironically) very athletic child would exist.

...Or it could be that this is a setup by Nobita's descendant and Doraemon to create a stable time loop.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Found this odd image related to Doraemon:
    Last edited by winstein; 30th October 2012 at 09:49 AM.

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I only saw a few episodes some time before I went into first grade. One of them involved a clubhouse underground that caved in after a day, another involved animal crackers that turned people into animals, and another had nobita get his own personal army that kept opening fire on anything that got near him. There were more, but they were more distant and foggy. Chinese dub.
    Oh?