Discussion of Currently Airing Animé - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Discussion of Currently Airing Animé

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Default Re: Discussion of Currently Airing Animé

So I recently finished some of the animes of the Summer Season (Fall Season starting this week!). Here's a few thoughts about them:

Arcana Famiglia: Easily the worst of the bunch. The main character, who was supposed to be a strong, independent heir, turned out to be a sheepish and annoying girl. The secondary cast wasn't the most original, and even the few characters with an intriguing premise had to be butchered for the sake of keeping this kind of mafia fairy tale going on.
    To make matters story was pretty much no-existent, the mechanics of the world were barely explained, resulting in some ridiculously flawed "laws" (using the term loosely). The animation was a bit derpy, but I guess the artwork and sonority were alright. Not recommended. I gave it a 3/10.

The Anime with a big name aka Uta Koi: It was a fun watch. One could easily notice it was running on a low budget, but it made up with an original art style, which I admit not all might appreciate, and gorgeous scenery, though it had to resort often to still frames, which still didn't detract much from the experience.
    The premise was simple: in each episode (or part of one) the anime would interpret various love poems, trying to justify their existence with an interpretation of historical facts mixed with fiction. Despite the standalone feel of most of the stories, they had a loose continuity which leads to the creation of two arcs: he Heian era and then the late Heian era. Between these arcs, there was a parody episode that included characters from both arcs (mostly the first).
    Speaking of the parody episode, it was part of one of the biggest problems people might have with this anime (I didn't): the humour may feel a little overdone or silly. Yes, this anime is rather light-hearted and tries to interest younger people a little, so if you do not appreciate a silly joke once in a while you're better off not watching this. Or, if you can take it but in small doses, maybe you should skip the parody episode (episode 6), although you'll be missing on funny, in character takes of a bull race (I hear it's based on a special of some anime), morning talk shows, Ouran Host Club and even Yu-gi-oh!
    Another recommendation I have is to give up on memorizing all the characters, or at least their names. You won't be able to. Rest assured, this makes a potential re-watch the more worthwhile.
    This anime is clearly directed at a niche, but it's well done. I gave it a 7.5/10.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous: This was the biggest disappointment of the season for me. It started of as an interesting, somewhat fresh and mature romance between a young man and a widow already in her 30s, who were involved in a love triangle with the widow's ghost husband! While the supernatural aspect didn't detract much from the first few episodes, which were very good, it did lead to a situation (during a plot twist I won't mention) that dragged an arc for too long (until the end of the series, pretty much), and it got a bit boring. However, the anime was unpredictable, so despite the annoyance provoked by the situation, I found myself always at the edge of my seat, waiting for what would happen next. The conclusion made up for the boredom of the "supernatural arc" a bit, as it was well done and satisfying.
    The visuals were above average and did their job. The audio part was better than the visuals; we were offered touching opening and ending sequences and an enjoyable OST.
    All in all, if you can endure some annoyance and frustration and have nothing better to watch, give this a try. It's definitively above your average romance, despite its flaws. I gave it a 6.5/10.

Kokoro Connect: I know there's still a few more episodes coming for this one, but they are OVAs so I'm not counting them for this purpose.
    Disappointed me a bit, but I didn't come expecting too much. All I wanted was a funny body swamping comedy, and I kind of got that.
    The main problem with this anime is that I never got the feeling it really knew what it wanted to be. Sometimes it was a comedy, and a funny one at that, but then suddenly it became a heavy adolescent drama that felt forced and exaggerated. It didn't help that the main character was bland, probably based on the archetype of your average harem lead (though this isn't a harem per se), but at least the others were mildly interesting. From the quirky but serious class president, to the air-headed physics teacher, the secondary cast was OK. The other members of the CRC (Cultural Research Club) were just as fine, but I had two issues with them: first their problems looked to be blown out of proportions (I'm not saying they weren't problems, but they were taken way too tragically. Tari Tari did a better job at handling normal teen problems) and some had problems, but as characters (Aoki took too long to stop being a cardboard in love with Yui and Iori just made no sense at times). Oh, and don't get me started on Heartseed and co. I can accept supernatural elements just fine, but when there's no explanation they don't bode well. Yeah, mystery is nice but when well placed.
    I don't have much to add about the audiovisuals. The animation was good, sharp and clean, and the opening and ending sequences were mostly catchy and enjoyable. I didn't notice the OST much, but it didn't perturb at the very least.
    All in all, the best about this was the comedy (unfortunately it's not the main genre and many obvious and funny jokes get thrown away in favour of the drama) and the supernatural events themselves (the body swamping and, later, others), despite having no explanation, helped keeping interest. I gave it a 6/10

I still have Tari Tari to finish but sadly it might take a while. I'm also not reviewing Hyouka since it started in the spring (but I loved it, though it's probably not for everyone - if you don't mind moe and find mundane things interesting, give it a try).

The latest Psycho-Pass was great, I can't wait to see how they develop the relationship between Shinya and Akane.

Blog Entries

Well I watched all of the aired episodes of Chuunibyou this morning and I can say the characters remind me of myself in elementary school. Thankfully I never went through that phase in middle school... but dear lord I feel sorry for the main character.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

K is said to get a new anime in October. Dunno if its a sequel to last year's K Project

Shingeki no Kyojin is currently the most interesting this 2013 Spring. Awesome
    Last edited by Yato; 14th May 2013 at 03:28 AM.
    Elysion likes this.

some kind of madness TwilightBlade's Avatar Moderator

^Really glad I finally watched Psycho-Pass, but I have yet to watch K Project. Anyway, thoughts on current anime:

Shinjeki no Kyojin: Phenomenal anime. This show gives me goosebumps and tears! Sometimes both within seconds! I'm really impressed with the animation, too. I couldn't wait to see what happens next, so I decided to read a few chapters ahead.

Suisei no Gargantia: This one has potential, but the latest episode left me wondering if it's going to become a slice of life. I don't know what to expect in only 12 episodes. It could have a happy ending, or half of the characters could be butchered.

Kakumeiki Valvrave: Has a lil' bit of potential. I have high hopes for this anime because it is Sunrise's project. I literally have no attachment or regards for the main character. I'm way more interested in what L-Elf can do. I think the singing and musicals ought to stop. >_<
    Yato likes this.
    trade station
    art gallery
    ❝In this world, there are things you have to protect even if your hands get stained with blood.❞

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Thoughts on the Spring 2013 anime so far

Shingeki no Kyojin: The. Best. Hands. Down. Awesome quality in all areas - music, design, character depiction, and most of all, story. It's been a long time since I had watched an anime genuinely, solely because of the story, not because of sparkly pretty boys (which I will get to in the other anime I'm watching). Every episode I anticipate the next, and even though I went and read the manga because of my burning curiosity, it has never failed to excite me. Best of all, it shows a lot of diverse personalities within humans. There had been some parts where I couldn't get in the manga (for example, how fast can the giants walk exactly?), which are better portrayed in the anime, so I enjoy it. I recommend it to anyone, and everyone.

Karneval: One of the animes I had been dying to watch because of the "pretty boys". Good voice actors, and good character designs. But after watching the recent episodes, I'm starting to question what in the world this is trying to tell us. It's clearly trying to appeal to the female audience with the sparkly, lovely guys, the "Circus" theme, shipping hints, and magical action along with deadly serious battles. However, the story is being vague, and I don't know - really, I don't know what this anime is about. Maybe they're saving the best for last and I should wait and watch a few more episodes to see what they're trying to say. Neutral, but I'd still recommend it to people who enjoyed anime like Kuroshitsuji and such.

Uta no Prince-Sama 2000%: After 1000% in 2011, I had been waiting for this - my favorite otome anime. If there was one thing I loved about Uta no Prince-sama 1000%, was that the girl really deserved the guys. She's not some klutzy ditzy brainless pretty girl who fails in pretty much every field that the boys feel the need to protect her. No, she has her strong points - she's a genius composer, and has talent in the music industry, thus all the boys (who are aiming to be idol singers) would be attracted to her naturally. After their debut and graduation, they are now training at their agency to be the very best like no one ever was. While the "sparkly pretty boys" charms are working well, the story sort of became everyday fillers. None were too serious so far, and after the introduction of the mentors, Quartet Nights, they haven't even had their own proper episode. Of course, it's too early yet to say anything about the mentors. Perhaps they WILL receive their own story focused solely on themselves. In the meantime, the only thing I get from the episodes is that the boys have started expressing their love for the girl in a more direct way, so I guess that's a development worth noting. Recommended to those who like otome, and songs. (there are songs in every episode)

ore no wait for the last 3 episodes can't be this long :(

I am also really impressed by the animation quality of Railgun 2 compared to the prequel and Index. I, who tend to be bored by action anime, actually enjoyed the fight scenes.

I just started Henneko the other day but it's pretty good so far. I seem to be a sucker for dramas lately. I look forward to finishing it provided the 2nd half can match the pacing of the 1st.
    Last edited by Serpentsounds; 3rd July 2013 at 03:57 AM.

Follow Elysion on Tumblr

K is said to get a new anime in October. Dunno if its a sequel to last year's K Project
    Which I am so excited for. I hope its a sequel, I really do. I'm just worried about what happened to a certain red group and all considering what happened during the last episode. ;_;

Saw the first episode of an anime that recently came out - Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist. I have to say, even though only the 1st episode came out, its left a good impression on me. The characters are all fun to watch as well as their interactions with each other. Plus the fight scene was pretty well executed and I adore the character designs. The first episode gives a hint of something darker regarding the past of certain characters, and I hope that becomes fully revealed with time. Lots of potential and fun to watch - for the first episode.
    Yato likes this.

Henneko turned out to be a little worse than expected but certainly not bad. Great characters, but a very open ending with a weak plot to begin with lost it some points for me. Now, as for what just came out:

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou: Initially this looked to be mainly comedy oriented, but after finishing the first 2 episodes it looks like the story could actually go places, and there are minor drama elements as well. Which is good, because I can't stand straight comedy anime. Overall interesting premise and likable characters so far. Also, Inoue Marina. <333

Watamote: Dat MC. Plus it has Nakamura Yuuichi. Unfortunately, this one seems to be largely comedy based. I'm not gonna write it off yet but I probably won't enjoy it as much as others.

TWGOK: High expectations, but I unfortunately haven't quite finished season 2 yet so I need to do that before I start it up.

Monogatari Series 2nd season: What can I say? It's Monogatari, so I can only assume 10/10 until proven otherwise. :P If the first episode is anything to go off of, it seems this adaptation may be heavy on the fanservice, which may incite the ire of the same surprisingly large group of ragers who condemned Nisemonogatari. Remember guys, fanservice isn't inherently bad, as long as it doesn't overshadow the other aspects of the production. Besides, if you claim not to enjoy some beautiful boobie shots of Senjougahara and Hanekawa, I'd count you as slightly dishonest. ;o

I'm also following Danganronpa and Free!, but those have their own threads.

Are there any others that look really good so far? I wouldn't mind picking up another but it'd be pretty time consuming to go through every single one. :P

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentsounds View Post

Are there any others that look really good so far? I wouldn't mind picking up another but it'd be pretty time consuming to go through every single one. :P
    Rozen Maiden 2013. You don't need to watch the series that aired prior to this season. It's based on the manga unlike its predecessors, so there's no extra info required to get from the previous seasons

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

The animations of this summer are all awesome!! I've only seen four kinds, but they're all great

If I were to rank them in order (I know it's only the first two episodes, but still)

Free! = Dangan Ronpa > Watamote > Rozen Maiden (2013)

Don't get me wrong - Rozen Maiden is really okay this season, but compared to the other three I listed, it's a bit lacking in thrills.

It's still a bit early for me to properly rank them but based on my current impressions:

Danganronpa = Monogatari 2nd > Railgun > Gin no Saji > Watamote > Inu to Hasami > Free > Gatchaman Crowds > Blood Lad (dropped).

Ok, it wasn't too early for me to call Blood Lad, based on episode 1 it was pretty much see how it's going to be. I didn't really like or dislike Gatchman Crowds. It's not the type of show I usually watch, but I'm willing to give it past episode 1.

Free, Watamote, and Inu to Hasami all have merits but with shortcomings. I'm impressed with Watamote, even though it is almost straight comedy I find it genuinely entertaining.

Gin no Saji wins a lot of points for being very original. If the other elements end up being very good that will be a bonus.

Railgun is Railgun, Monogatari is Monogatari, and Danganronpa is awesomesauce horror murder mystery.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I'm kind a disappointed at currently airing Anime .
    Most of them about bunch of cute girl having fun time .
    I mean , K-on was great but its irritating to see so many anime trying to copy K-on .
    I wish there was some Shouene battle Anime ,
    Only ''Blood Lad'' fall to that Category .

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post
    I'm kind a disappointed at currently airing Anime .
    Most of them about bunch of cute girl having fun time .
    I mean , K-on was great but its irritating to see so many anime trying to copy K-on .
    I wish there was some Shouene battle Anime ,
    Only ''Blood Lad'' fall to that Category .
    Try Dangan Ronpa or Free!
    XDD

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G, easily best series airing this summer, with 5x budget of it's first season, it really shows.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast