A Burning Question

Thread: A Burning Question

Blog Entries

Default A Burning Question

Why is it anime couples are so cute? Could it be because the Japanese have the best understanding of what makes people happy?
    (Could this be like asking why certain people prefer sour cream and cheddar chips?)

Hexagon Addiction Kaze no Shiron's Avatar

Default Re: A Burning Question

Quote Originally Posted by mj ike View Post
    Why is it anime couples are so cute? Could it be because the Japanese have the best understanding of what makes people happy?
    (Could this be like asking why certain people prefer sour cream and cheddar chips?)
    Anime is just a fiction, not a reality. Anime couples are cute because they're drawn.
    Signature Not Under Construction

Blog Entries

Ever heard, "Art reflects life"?

追放されたバカ

Ever heard, "Art reflects life"?
    I've never heard that, but to me it sounds like you're implying Anime is art, which it isn't. It's entertainment.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

Anime is a form of art. Just because it's not stuck in a museum it doesn't mean it isn't. Just like cinema and TV.

As for the couples being cute, they only are because they're drawn that way, not because the Japanese understand better relationships or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk Abortions View Post
    I've never heard that, but to me it sounds like you're implying Anime is art, which it isn't. It's entertainment.
    I have to somewhat agree, and disagree. Just like anything, it can be art, like Ico for video games, but a majority of Anime, would not be considered art, or at least have little to none artistic merit.

The Japanese have a lot of practice at making people appear happy, that's for sure. This is a very strange question, though. It's like saying,

"Why is Edward and Bella's relationship so deeply romantic? Could it be because Stephenie Meyer understands love better than anyone in the world?"

No, it's because in fiction you can make people love each other as much as you like. The fact that Meyer can write that Edward and Bella are totally perfectly in love says nothing about whether she understands how to make a real relationship work.

Likewise, anyone can draw a cute and happy couple without having the slightest understanding of how to foster a happy relationship in the real world.

You're going to have to explain which "anime couples" you're referring to here, though. The anime I've watched lately - Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker than Black, Elfen Lied, Ergo Proxy - don't really have any couples I would consider "cute".
    Last edited by kiera2; 14th April 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Blog Entries

One thing about anime couples you gotta love: how the guys help their gals out emotionally.

Hexagon Addiction Kaze no Shiron's Avatar

One thing about anime couples you gotta love: how the guys help their gals out emotionally.
    It's only anime and that will never happen... you know.
    Signature Not Under Construction

Blog Entries

Happens in reality too.

We're not all cold, emotionless beings :P

But yeah, some anime pairings are really cute. But they're typically too idealized to be believable.
    Baseball is wrong. Man with four balls can not walk. - Chinese Proverb

Sure, I love seeing the stereotype that women are incapable of coping with their emotions perpetuated.

Blog Entries

I'll say this, there is something to be said of the tsundere done right.

Blog Entries

Tsundere is... past it's prime, I think. It went from "I really like this person but don't want them to know!" to outright domestic violence.

I blame Evangelion (Asuka), and the slew of tsunderloli shows that came out in the past years. Terrible stuff.
    Baseball is wrong. Man with four balls can not walk. - Chinese Proverb

yandere.... they're like a yamato-nadeshiko with a spine. ^^ So long as you don't piss them off (which actually seems quite difficult to do when you consider how devoted a good deal of them are), they seem like one of the better female archetypes, really.

Quote Originally Posted by fate View Post
    Tsundere is... past it's prime, I think. It went from "I really like this person but don't want them to know!" to outright domestic violence.

I blame Evangelion (Asuka), and the slew of tsunderloli shows that came out in the past years. Terrible stuff.
    seriously, and Zero no Tsukaima's gotta be the low-point of it all. It's especially a wall-banger when you consider that Saito had no real reason to stick by that bitch once the commoners started looking up to him (I assumed he had an S&M fetish, but I heard TVTropes point out that the light novels suggest the familiar contract may involve slight brain-washing, so I guess sorta justified if true). Sometimes, I gotta wonder if the majority of otaku are really that damn stricken with tsundere to put a character like Louise on a pedestal, or if they just like her for being another Rie Kugimiya typecast... though, I gotta admit, I don't mind her roles as Shana or Nagi. I like Eva's Asuka too, and don't exactly think she was poorly done so far as tsundere go (it helps that she had reasons, not the least of them being that she literally is completely batshit insane).

Quote Originally Posted by kiera2 View Post
    Sure, I love seeing the stereotype that women are incapable of coping with their emotions perpetuated.
    then do you suggest some "girl power" stuff with women trying to cope with stuff on their own? And really, there's nothing wrong with emotional support considering even the most badass of male characters can suffer some severe emotional trauma that'll require nothing less than their bonds to ultimately get through.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 23rd April 2010 at 03:46 AM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.