better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: better?

Default better?

im curious as to why so many people like japanese culture better than... others. like, what's wrong with, say, austrian culture or finnish culture or kuwaiti culture?

i'd really like to hear some legitimate answers that aren't based on "oh i love me some animes yum yum" or "azns r so kawaii" or even "sushi is delicious." because really, it's easy to like an aspect of a culture, but i think people maybe take it too far a lot of the time? i like potatoes, river dance and irish accents, but that doesn't mean i elevate the irish above everyone else.

and yes im aware of the "why do you like japan" thread or whatever, but im looking for something deeper than the "i like anime video games and androgynous boys" posts that permeate that topic.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: better?

That's like asking people why they like American culture. Or the British culture. It's the culture they've decided appeals to them the most. With the internet, people can branch out and begin to ignore their native culture and look at other cultures. They like the language, the traditions, the art styles (the Japanese can draw!), the mysticism, the food, etc. It just appeals to them.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

i suppose it's a little difficult to put into concrete terms, but most people just say "i like anime i like manga i like sushi i like azn gurlz" which really just means that... you like those things. i mean, basing your entire fondness of a culture on something like ANIME (which it's been shown isn't that hard to reproduce similar products outside of japan) is silly.

some people also say "i like the culture" but what does that even mean? do the people saying it know what it means? it always strikes me as just an attempt to look like you enjoy things about japan other than anime.

Blog Entries

I will be harsh with this, but those I've seen that take Japan, anime, manga, and those interrelated too far tend to not have as much of a life as others. These would be "weeaboos".

Now, personally, the only thing I will say that Japanese culture has over any other is beauty, because they hold it so much higher than any other culture in the world, really. That is both a factual and an opinionated statement. Factually, for example, it takes many, many years to become a sushi chef, to learn how to properly make great rice, combine the right flavors, roll correctly, and serve it with more appearance than perhaps even the taste aspect. I think this could be why the BF episode that featured the two sisters that focused on appearance and taste seperately was created, because it kind of challenged the thought that food should be better looking than better tasting, even though Japan does have some of the best food critics the world has seen. Another example would be the geisha lifestyle. The only western geisha in the world, from Australia, will tell you how hard it was for her to become who she is today. (And this person actually holds a docterate for a career she held previously.)

Now, in my opinion, aside from the culture's beauty, it's just as equal to any other culture in the world, just as any other culture in the world is equal to one another.
    My name is Steven.
    I'm interested in rare stones,
    so I travel here and there.

S. Stone

so... basically you're saying that japan is shallow? if they value appearance over substance then... their culture is shallow. how is that a thing to be admired/liked?

Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru View Post

Now, in my opinion, aside from the culture's beauty, it's just as equal to any other culture in the world, just as any other culture in the world is equal to one another.[/SIZE]
    but judging from various apparent factors, you're a fan of japanese culture, no? like, i don't see anything that would suggest you're as big a fan of, say, egyptian culture, so im forced to assume that you like japan better, whether or not you believe it to actually be better. why is that? because of the beauty thing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by superstarmielad View Post
    so... basically you're saying that japan is shallow? if they value appearance over substance then... their culture is shallow. how is that a thing to be admired/liked?

but judging from various apparent factors, you're a fan of japanese culture, no? like, i don't see anything that would suggest you're as big a fan of, say, egyptian culture, so im forced to assume that you like japan better, whether or not you believe it to actually be better. why is that? because of the beauty thing?
    No, basically I'm just pointing out what their culture views more valuable. You are analyzing bunka too far in. Just absorb what I just said and life will be so much easier, I assure you.

Actually, I find other cultures just as interesting, I just find that of Japan's more beautiful, which leads me to concentrating on it more. As far as other cultures interesting me, I could say that I'm open to just about any culture, except American, because it really isn't that much of a culture, but rather a melting pot of cultures.
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

Just absorb what I just said and life will be so much easier, I assure you.
    your condescension is both gratuitous and unwarranted.

As far as other cultures interesting me, I could say that I'm open to just about any culture, except American, because it really isn't that much of a culture, but rather a melting pot of cultures.
    are you kidding? three-hundred years and you think there's no unique culture to be had? really?

追放されたバカ
    Where both beef and dreams are super-sized
    Blog Entries

are you kidding? three-hundred years and you think there's no unique culture to be had? really?
    There isn't really.

Pretty much any region of the US has it's own culture based on whatever the major ethnicity is in that location.

Blog Entries

your condescension is both gratuitous and unwarranted.
    Take it with a grain of salt.

There isn't a unique culture of America, and anyone who lives in the US and were to look at the cultures they see within the US and around themselves in their community couldn't say there was.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko-kun View Post
    There isn't really.

Pretty much any region of the US has it's own culture based on whatever the major ethnicity is in that location.
    Fittingly, "Arigato gozaimasu".
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

Take it with a grain of salt.
    your cute

There isn't a unique culture of America, and anyone who lives in the US and were to look at the cultures they see within the US and around themselves in their community couldn't say there was.
    brush up on the meaning of the word "culture" and then get back to me.

Fittingly, "Arigato gozaimasu".
    are you sure you're for real?

Blog Entries

your cute
    It is your problem whether what I am saying to you is taken seriously or not, not mine. Its getting to be where I could care less.

brush up on the meaning of the word "culture" and then get back to me.
    Take your own advice.

are you sure you're for real?
    One hasn't learned their lesson apparently.
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

I really don't know if it is better, it's just that I'm exposed to so much more of it.

It's not really exclusive, I do recognize gems when they do occur. The francais comic 'CyberSix' was published in Brazil, after all, and the great martial arts BJJ and Capoeira also originate there.

Similarly, you have Code Lyoko, Savate and Fencing which have blossomed in France.

I guess it's just that with Japan you just don't feel like you're reaching as much. It's a massive center of visual and martial culture which is trasmitted everywhere, efficiency and politeness and thought freedoms, at least so far.

Haha, Baka Gaijin!
    Kawaii desu, nii-chan sensei-sama! Kage bunshin no jutsu!

Blog Entries

Exactly what the term " weeaboo" refers to... *facepalm*
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

追放されたバカ

We don't like Japanese culture, we like the Otaku sub-culture that's based in Japan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast