Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Best/Worst Cliches/Tropes in Anime

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best/Worst Cliches/Tropes in Anime

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 97SaturnSL1 View Post
    all of the freaken pipe organ music thats overused.
    Orgel music is popular here still, it seems. You hear it in quite a few places, and not just in anime/media. You may even hear it in a parking garage.
    where in the world would you hear organ music in a parking garage?.lol.

Another cliche i hate is that some characters are just plain idiots. in a racing anime a guy racing an AWD mitsu EVO manages to spin out of control,crash and total his car when he tries to adjust his WINDSHIELD WIPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that road he was on was wet to the equivilent of just a spray with a garden hose too!

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Worst: 1)Girls having almost no clothing, or overly large breast 2)The heartless jerks being loved by every girl

Best: Someone of one gender being mistaken for the other.

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    all of the freaken pipe organ music thats overused.
    Orgel music is popular here still, it seems. You hear it in quite a few places, and not just in anime/media. You may even hear it in a parking garage.
    where in the world would you hear organ music in a parking garage?.lol.
    You've never been to a mall, and heard music or something playing in the background when in a parking garage from the speakers that are in there?

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by mwto View Post
    Worst: 1)Girls having almost no clothing, or overly large breast
    Related: Breasts that defy the laws of physics, like that picture where the girl is jumping up and down and her breasts have somehow rotated 90 degrees.

Yeah, they don't work that way. Busts come in all shapes and sizes, but there are some limits to their variety and that is one of them.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Yeah, they don't work that way. Busts come in all shapes and sizes, but there are some limits to their variety and that is one of them.
    Producers: Screw realism, we have horny teenagers and otakus to cater to.

I hate it too. I mean, I have my urges too but what I wouldn't give for more Anime that show little to no fanservice (that is, the blatant kind where they're pretty much like "check out the T & A on this bitch, boys!") just to boost the ratings and focus on the actual goddamn story. Cuteness is okay though.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Producers: Screw realism, we have horny teenagers and otakus to cater to.
    See, I'm a girl who likes other girls, and I fail to see what is remotely titillating about a pair of "breasts" that look more like a peanut than actual breasts. It makes the girl look like she isn't human.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

R&T

- The dumb main character who gathers all females around him. The guy is sh*t, dumb, useless and got a harem with beautiful girls with big boobs (or not). Obviously, they all fall in love with him

- Of course like many of you, "Girls having almost no clothing, or overly large breast" , "Breasts that defy the laws of physics, like that picture where the girl is jumping up and down and her breasts have somehow rotated 90 degrees."

- The little-shy-crappy-annoying-....- girl who fall in love with the handsome-smart-tall-kind-most popular boy in high school. (Shojo mostly)....

- The Nakama thing in shonen manga/anime. I mean "don't touch my nakama or I kill you!" super power !!!!!!!!!.( I'm beaten by the villain and then, I pwn him)
    Last edited by R&T; 8th August 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R&T View Post
    - The dumb main character who gathers all females around him. The guy is sh*t, dumb, useless and got a harem with beautiful girls with big boobs (or not). Obviously, they all fall in love with him

- Of course like many of you, "Girls having almost no clothing, or overly large breast" , "Breasts that defy the laws of physics, like that picture where the girl is jumping up and down and her breasts have somehow rotated 90 degrees."
    I'm with ya there. I've been watching Omamori Himari and it fits both of those points. Main character is the normal nice guy/weakling who doesn't like to fight but has a superpower that has been used only twice in the whole anime (all 12 episodes of it, yes) and suddenly seems to attract every big-titt...breasted girl that crosses his path. That, and the oh-so-obvious cheap panty shots.

Another thing with animes is the...wait for it...Shipping wars!!!
    Being a fan of Ranma 1/2, a show where the main character has 3 fianceés with a legal claim to marry him plus another crazy bitch who's obsessed with him in his male form, and has one or two guys who are in love with his female form, this is a funny thing on paper. But wait until you get on a forum that still discusses the anime/manga. It's canon ships (well, mutual genuine feelings aka RanmaxAkane) vs. what-if ships vs. yaoi ships vs. cursed forme ships. It's a bigger mess than PokeShipping vs. AdvanceShipping!

Ranma ½, Maison Ikkoku and now TORADORA! fan.

3DS FC: 2938-6903-6577

worst cliche: "I hope senpai will notice me"
    its so overused in shojo anime.

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

1. Worst- Clingy and weak girls
    2. Worst- Fan-service (Unless IV is involved, that is.)
    Last edited by Niji; 26th January 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Blog Entries

I hope no one thinks I'm sexist for this, but:

The worst anime cliche IMO when there's an improbably female cast where it doesn't make sense to be one. It gets annoying when an anime school is supposedly co-ed, but it only seems to consist of female students. That's my main problem with Azumanga Daioh. (I can sympathise with this in Strawberry Panic since the school is a single sex school.) I wouldn't expect a school to be heavily skewed in favour of girls unless it revolved around a mostly female career like nursing.

I think that's the main criticism of shojo anime. Shojo isn't marketed outside of Japan the way it is in Japan. People in the Western world often assume that a show starring a female character won't do well.

And, believe me, it is equally annoying when there's like 100 male characters and only one female. (It's even more annoying when there are no females or if the only female character dies.) But that's common in all types of media, not just anime. Most examples of improbably female cast are anime. It's rare in Western cartoons to have that - even a lot of girly shows have no shortage of male characters. The only Western cartoons I can think of with a largely female cast is My Little Pony's various incarnations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
    I hope no one thinks I'm sexist for this, but:

The worst anime cliche IMO when there's an improbably female cast where it doesn't make sense to be one. It gets annoying when an anime school is supposedly co-ed, but it only seems to consist of female students. That's my main problem with Azumanga Daioh. (I can sympathise with this in Strawberry Panic since the school is a single sex school.) I wouldn't expect a school to be heavily skewed in favour of girls unless it revolved around a mostly female career like nursing.
    Azumanga Daioh is a bad example, though to use for this. The manga's main premise was to follow the lives of a group of high school girls up until their graduation. Seeing mostly girls and not too many guys is pretty normal. In Japan, despite how manga and anime are at times, things are still pretty much boy/girl separate, especially in social settings. Azumanga Daioh seemed to show that well enough. Girls usually stick with the girls, while boys stick with the boys. Even the role call for class is gender separate. Also, the series did, of course, have male students, only background ones, but the story was supposed to be about these six (wasn't it?) particular girls up until their high school graduation.

Now, if it was a series that was supposed to have focused on more than just that particular group of girls, then I could understand the criticism, but it never was.

What I really hate are characters who only appear for one episode in the anime, they challenge Ash and it is so obvious that they will be beaten really quickly and by the end of th episode. Take "Evolution by Fire" as an example.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Shiifter View Post
    What I really hate are characters who only appear for one episode in the anime, they challenge Ash and it is so obvious that they will be beaten really quickly and by the end of th episode. Take "Evolution by Fire" as an example.
    Sorta like the game itself? ^^

Yup kinda, which brings me to wanting more normal trainers who are harder!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast