Anime Dub Haters

Thread: Anime Dub Haters

Default Anime Dub Haters

I'm not talking about those who prefer the Japanese version over the English version of Anime but can respect those who prefer it the other way around. No, I'm talking about fanboys and fangirls who constantly bash English dubs and those who watch said English dubs as if it's the word of god that all Anime dubbed in English has horrid voice acting, has bad translations, and everything else that makes them "bad." We've all seen and heard from them everywhere on the net and, quite frankly, I can't stand them one bit.

I know that not every English dub of every Anime is great like Cowboy Bebop or Dragon Ball Z Kai but that doesn't mean that every one of them is god awful or give them the right to bash the hell out of every one you come across like it's an indisputable fact. I can understand if it's 4kids or made-for-TV dubs from the 80s and the 90s (Robotech is a favorite of mine, however) but dubs have been improved to appeal to fans of the original version more. Better translations, better voice acting and more. If they still don't like it, then fine but don't make it everyone else's problem.

One thing I've noticed is that dub haters act like perfectionists when it comes to dubs. They dislike any voice or translation that isn't 100% good and condemn the dub as a whole for all it's worth. Like Kamina's voice in the Gurren Laggan dub. Talk about overreactions. So what if one voice is a bit off? Give the dub a chance!

I can accept that what I like might not appeal to everyone else but what I can't accept is when others bash them with no real legit reason. Here, dub watchers or those who just dislike these kinds of fans can speak up on this thread. So, go wild.
    Last edited by matt0044; 15th August 2011 at 10:11 AM.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anime Dub Haters

Most people hate dubs due to the fact that:

1. Voices are different.
    2. Jokes can be hard to translate
    3. Shitty dubs:

What was SUPPOSED to be a scene with laughing turned into......wtf?
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    Most people hate dubs due to the fact that:

1. Voices are different.
    2. Jokes can be hard to translate
    3. Shitty dubs:
    1. Yes, but does that mean they CAN'T be good?

2. Yes, but the humor in Japanese jokes might not make Americans laugh and I'd rather get the joke right away (SNAP) like that instead of researching or reading text that explains the joke. Humor doesn't work that way.

3. Bad dubs these days are usually overshadowed by the good ones. Though your mileage may vary.

There are the good and bad dub

Robotech, Voltron, and Samurai Pizza Cats, aren't true dubs, their story for change.

I do watch subs, but find some voice that are not a match for some characters.

^I personally like Robotech for attempting to preserve the drama and action in the original Anime (plural) it was adapted from. I prefer the novels and the original Anime though. Samurai Pizza Cats I like because of the humor.

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

There are people who watch certain anime because it casts his or her favorite voice actor. What the original voice actors would've established in the work might be ruined in the dubs, which would make the fans pretty angry. I'm not talking about all anime, but there are actually some english dubs that ruined the originality.

Quote Originally Posted by darkqueen View Post
    There are people who watch certain anime because it casts his or her favorite voice actor. What the original voice actors would've established in the work might be ruined in the dubs, which would make the fans pretty angry. I'm not talking about all anime, but there are actually some english dubs that ruined the originality.
    Yes, but Dub Haters tend bash others who like dubs as if their opinion is the word of God.

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Yes, but Dub Haters tend bash others who like dubs as if their opinion is the word of God.
    That's awful - everyone has their own opinions, and you get spammed for voicing that? Who cares if someone likes the dubs, and who cares if someone hates the dubs? There's reason to everything and nothings right in anyway. I'm sorry if this offends anyone - but those Dub Haters are being extremely narrow for bashing people.

Oh I thought this thread meant something else :P

Anyway, I agree with darkqueen.

Well, it's not like there aren't dub watchers who bash people for watching things in the original language rather than a local dub, so that goes both ways.

(and they all seem to be English-speakers talking about Japanese cartoons, since apparently English and Japanese are the only languages in the world, too)
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Well, it's not like there aren't dub watchers who bash people for watching things in the original language rather than a local dub, so that goes both ways.
    Yes, but most of the time it's the other way around.

Not from what I've seen. I'd guess it depends on the series, though - the more it appeals to your average guy, the more "Every language that's not English is retarded" people are going to be watching it, while all the bizarre shit aimed solely at creepy Japanese nerds will mostly draw in the "I wish I was Japanese, Japanese is the language of God" weirdos outside its home country.
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post

(and they all seem to be English-speakers talking about Japanese cartoons, since apparently English and Japanese are the only languages in the world, too)
    however, it should be mentioned that a pretty good majority of the world's countries don't even bother with dubs (for anime or any media), instead opting for subs only. So yeah, depending on where most of the entertainment originates from, those really will seem like the only languages in the world to some people (but mind you, it's not entirely limited to English and Japanese; I'm not personally familiar with them, but Russia, India, China, France, and some others seem to have fairly prominent entertainment industries as well).

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I was that ''tongue'' that ''tongue'''s Avatar

For anime I personally prefer original version than dub version (prefer not mean I hate dub version), I think every person has their tendency for things they like, so in this case no matter who is bashing who more, no one can be justified. I think the most important is we choose what we prefer, not need to care about people derision if you know they who doing it wrong.

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

IMO, I feel that this can be discussed freely in the following thread...

English vs. Japanese

This is the English vs Japanese thread. Of course with a thread like that, you'll have to get onto the topic of those who are "Anime dub haters", so feel free to start/continue the conversation there. ^_^