Akira Kurosawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akira Kurosawa

追放されたバカ

Default Akira Kurosawa

No, not Akira, the Japanese cartoon, but Akira Kurosawa, the respectable film director who's directed Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran and Yojimbo among others films. I bet hardly anyone's gonna respond here since you're all busy with your anime to do something worthwhile with yourself. Now, I'm not saying anime's bad, don't get me wrong. What I am saying is that it's pitiful when people won't recognize true art and obsess over petty entertainment (I know not all of it's like that, but most of it is, like everything else) and like all things pathetic, they're gonna hid behind the word 'opinion' without even trying to defend themselves, and therein they loose the battle. It kinda says something about the community when the name 'Radiohead' isn't taken.

No offense, of course. :))

Slayer of the Hate-Fish Shooterman's Avatar

Default Re: Akira Kurosawa

Massaging your ego I see?

追放されたバカ

So how's the love quest coming along? :))

Slayer of the Hate-Fish Shooterman's Avatar

Better than your attempt to troll me.

追放されたバカ

Who said I was trying to troll you? I'm just bored and curious and I am entertained. It's all fun, right? You seem like a pretty levelheaded guy, not the kind of person who'd rage IRL over something silly on a forum, are you? But seriously, you should check out his stuff. They're good. :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    No, not Akira, the Japanese cartoon, but Akira Kurosawa, the respectable film director who's directed Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran and Yojimbo among others films. I bet hardly anyone's gonna respond here since you're all busy with your anime to do something worthwhile with yourself. Now, I'm not saying anime's bad, don't get me wrong. What I am saying is that it's pitiful when people won't recognize true art and obsess over petty entertainment (I know not all of it's like that, but most of it is, like everything else) and like all things pathetic, they're gonna hid behind the word 'opinion' without even trying to defend themselves, and therein they loose the battle. It kinda says something about the community when the name 'Radiohead' isn't taken.

No offense, of course. :))
    You do realize that movies ARE entertainment, you love those movies, therefore you're obsessed with petty entertainment as well. Stop judging everyone like we're shut off from the world because we're fans of Pokemon. It's pretty obvious you're trolling, and as cautious as you're trying to be it isn't working. To simply insult a whole forum and then say "no offense, of course. :)" is not going to fly. Very little of your post even talks about the director, you simply mention it about twice in the first two or so sentences, and the rest is simply bashing the forum and people you know nothing about.

As for the director, I've never seen his movies nor am I a fan of those types of movies.
    Last edited by Sublime; 19th March 2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

追放されたバカ

Well of course not :)

It's in black and white, and black and white is, as the children say "BOOOOOOOOOORING'

And besides, where are the explosions? The deus ex machinas? The formulaic plots?

Blog Entries

Well of course not :)

It's in black and white, and black and white is, as the children say "BOOOOOOOOOORING'

And besides, where are the explosions? The deus ex machinas? The formulaic plots?
    Not true, as I've seen movies in black and white before and some were spectacular.

Who said movies need explosions and etc to be fascinating and worth watching? Oh that's right, you just did.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Radiohead, I can see you're new here, but at the risk of mini-modding... you're kinda being an ass. Yes, it's a shame when classics get ignored, but by that same token, you're greatly under-mining today's entertainment and the people who enjoy it. I enjoy a lot of said entertainment, especially anime of the past twenty years (several of which ARE quality and are not mindless blow-up fests as you're making them out to be), but I'm sure as hell not so close-minded that I'll completely shrug off something just for being in black-and-white. Simply being aware of the fact that movies from half a century ago exist does not make you better than everyone else, stop talking down on others as if you're tough shit.

Now, concerning this actual thread, yes, I saw some of his films. I've checked out Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Ran from my college library last year. They were all pretty enjoyable.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I listen to Radiohead and watch Kurosawa, I'm better than any of you plebians.

Blog Entries

Personally, it was never Kurosawa's name that got me interested in most of his movies, bur rather, I only watched his movies because of Toshiro Mifune, who I've been a huge fan of ever since I first saw The Sword of Doom when I was a kid. I know he was only a side character, but he was still completely awesome. In fact, it was Mifune that got me interested in Japanese culture to begin with, including anime and manga.

And Radiohead, they're right. You're being a troll. You're trying really hard to pretend that your not, but anyone who actually read that first post can tell.

lol, wow. If the OP was trying to look like a jackass, then he succeeded.

Blog Entries

If you were genuinely "better than [us] plebians", not only would you have realized the correct spelling is actually "plebeians", but you'd have also felt no need to create this ridiculous thread.

I'm a fan of Kurosawa's work, and have most of the Criterion Collection releases of his films... but honestly dude, you're coming off as just another pseudo-intellectual jackass.

There's a difference between appreciating classic films, and doing so in a vain attempt to paint oneself as more intelligent than one truly is. What you're doing is the latter, and most people find it irritating as heck.

To be fair, that fake quote was just my interpretation of the OP. (And for the record, "plebian" is a perfectly acceptable alternative spelling.)
    いまでは、ホラ
    笑いながら話ができるよ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiera2 View Post
    To be fair, that fake quote was just my interpretation of the OP. (And for the record, "plebian" is a perfectly acceptable alternative spelling.)
    I wondered, after I couldn't see it in the original post... figured he just edited it at some point, though.

True about the spelling, but it's a far less common variation. Not nearly as common as alternate spellings like neighbour/neighbor, etc. The word itself is used infrequently enough, but every example I've ever seen favours the one over the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast