• 1 Post By Insanish Danish
  • 1 Post By Robo-Floatzel
  • 1 Post By Muur
  • 1 Post By Dread Advocate
  • 1 Post By Jabberwocky

Thread: When Shows just loose their luster for you

Blog Entries

Default When Shows just loose their luster for you

As i've said many times before, i've watched many Tv shows in my life. But has anyone else ever felt like the shows that they once adored have lost some of their luster or charm

For example, Teen Titans used to be one of my favorite programs, I almost never missed a chance to watch it. But these days, the show only seems to leave half the effect on me as it did years ago.

What's more, i used to enjoy all of the shows in the DCAU franchise, but now, whenever i think about them, my mind just seems to focus on the parts of each show that i didn't care for (Which are usually just minor details compared to the things i should have focused on).

Has anyone else ever felt this way?

The Dimension Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Default Re: When Shows just loose their luster for you

I can say I have, heck I barely watch TV now aside from anime and my occasional murder mysteries (usually one episode cases). But I find that a show loses it's luster for me in two different cases.

The first one would be if it's an ongoing series that I'm actively interested in and I watch every episode, and etc. But when waiting for a new season, or episode depending on the period I'm left waiting for a new episode, my interest just fades with time and I don't feel the excitement I used to. Which is the case with My Little Pony for me, I breezed through seasons 1 and 2, but I can't bring myself to watch season 3, and 4.

The second case with me would be seeing re-runs, and or watching episodes repeatedly. Even if I'm watching with someone else, or on my own I don't feel inclined to give the show my full attention because I know a certain part word for word, and etc. But I tend to still be fond of shows in this case, like Courage the Cowardly Dog. I've seen it a million times, but when I do watch it I do so for the nostalgia factor it has for me.
    IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Definitely agreed about My Little Pony. The first two seasons were great, but season 3 was pretty lackluster overall, and I've been trying to watch season 4 but it's also been pretty dull for the most part.

I mean, yeah, I could go on about how the fandom ruined it for me, but honestly even disregarding the fandom the show hasn't been very good since season 2 ended.
    Leggo likes this.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

Follow Leggo on Tumblr Visit Leggo's Youtube Channel

I feel that the show Doug doesn't look as good as it did when I was little. Though, I did not know that Disney bought Doug from Nickelodeon.
    I may have watched the Disney Doug on Saturday mornings though on ABC 7.

The new SpongeBob episodes don't look as good as the old ones did. I also do not like the new Arthur episodes that much.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

The newer episodes of Spongebob most definitely, the show has gotten so bad that it's harder to watch the older episodes without thinking about how bad the show is now.

I can say the same about the Fairly Oddparents, where the newer seasons feel like a completely different show than the older seasons, especially since what was canon 5 years ago is likely not canon now since the show has to have the most inconsistent canon I have ever seen in the show. When the show first started, Timmy was an unpopular kid with a few friends and was given his fairies to help him overcome his daily problems such as his relationship with his parents and bullies. Today, Timmy has essentially turned into an antisocial kid that basically ran away from reality and has a second family with his fairies, complete with a fairy brother (Poof) and a fairy dog (Sparky), and he is RARELY seen interacting with any of his old friends like Chester and AJ, in fact, about half the cast from the first few seasons is nearly completely gone, and it's like I'm watching a completely different show than I did back in 2001.
    Last edited by Robo-Floatzel; 25th February 2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Leggo likes this.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

Suppose it ends up as nostalgia, "the show's not as good as it use to be!".
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

The first season of Heroes was fantastic and built a beautiful mythology. But everything afterwards gradually declined in quality. I was both sad and happy that NBC cancelled it before it got any worse. However, the recently revealed Heroes Reborn has me cautiously optimistic.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

For me, Doctor Who has been in a steep decline in quality of storytelling and writing since Moffat took over. I used to be excited to see it every week, but lately I've watched some episodes only reluctantly or not at all (this last season only had two episodes that I felt were really worth watching). It's sad, because I absolutely loved the show for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Suppose it ends up as nostalgia, "the show's not as good as it use to be!".
    One of my pet peeves of any show's fandoms, but I have to agree with the people here on one thing: Spongebob is not as good as it used to be. I stopped watching that show around 2005 because the writing just seemed so different compared to it's pre-2004 days. It relied on a lot of humor that I just didn't like. The same thing went for shows like Fairly Oddparents.

One show I can think of is Case Closed (or Detective Conan for all you Japanese purists out there). That show is a long runner, but I lost interest in it around episode 50 (way in it's early years). The cases got more and more dumber and the show felt more different to what made me like it in the first place. Needless to say, I haven't watched it anymore. I am pretty sure that show is very different now, but I wouldn't know or really care.
    Pokemon X EV-trained team:

Electabuzz, Charizard, Lapras, Steelix, Pyroar, Pangoro

Blog Entries

Family Guy for me. The earlier eps could actually be watchable and funny but comparing it to what we have now makes me want to smack my head into a wall. Peter and Lois are complete and utter jerks now, Chris can be an utter douche and the only characters I can tolerate are Stewie and Brian. It seems as though the show has lost a lot of its charm from the early days and it's just losing its appeal to me.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Blog Entries

The Walking Dead. The Walkers don't even feel like a threat anymore. Of course you'd expect the characters to become more adept in killing zombies in a show about zombies. But somewhere along the line the atmosphere of the show became noticeably less tense. They are basically fodder for the characters to express their frustration on now.

Also I'm not liking the lack of any significant events happening lately. I don't expect anything major to happen every episode but the pacing of the show for the last 2 seasons has been pretty rough.

Oh and I'm not liking this new trend of breaking a season up into two parts and airing the later half a couple of months after the first. The only other show I remember doing this besides TWD was Breaking Bad in its final season, but it actually worked with BB because of the time-skip. Still, for the most part it just takes away the momentum of the season and makes me less interested in seeing how everything pans out.

Blog Entries

I often feel like kids shows I used to watch that are still going have lost their appeal and just aren't fun anymore but that's probably due to nostalgia and seeing it from more of an adults expectation. In the past few years, the show that I have felt really lost its way was Dexter, the last season was particularly bad but the seasons leading up to the finale seemed like they weren't written with as much love as the others. I hear people mention a decline in The Simspons throughout recent years but I disagree with that, I think people are most likely just underwhelmed at this point due to its major popularity in the past. I still think the writing and jokes are the same if not better. I think Pokemon has also lost most of its original charm due to the fact that every saga is the same formula rinsed and repeated. I think Saturday Night Live has also really gone downhill, the comedians on it nowadays, while likable just aren't as funny as some of the older ones imo.

"Aphrodite Lady" LavenderTownGhost's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with you about Teen Titans. I was obsessed with it back in the day. I just recently tried to start watching it, and couldn't even make it past the first episode.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I used to genuinely enjoy the Big Bang Theory. Now it's just....."Meh :/". Especially the newer seasons. I don't really like the fact that the focus of the show is so much on relationships. It used to actually be funny.
    "Every day is Halloween!"

"I look spooky, but I'm really nice!" -Sharon Needles