Thread: Are we too hard on Disney?

rock dee jay garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default Re: Are we too hard on Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Disney has been bashed on since the 80's when Jeffery Katzenberg came into power, and while he was the one who started the Disney Reinnassance and began the Disney Princess trend, he's rarely bashed on as much today when it comes to his Disney projects (as for his Dreamworks projects, that's another topic).
    No, it was during the Ron Miller era (late 70s/early 80s) that Disney was attracting some of its harshest critics. Eisner and Katzenberg were actually brought in, in 1984, because the company had so little faith in Miller's leadership.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Disney has been bashed on since the 80's when Jeffery Katzenberg came into power, and while he was the one who started the Disney Reinnassance and began the Disney Princess trend, he's rarely bashed on as much today when it comes to his Disney projects (as for his Dreamworks projects, that's another topic).
    No, it was during the Ron Miller era (late 70s/early 80s) that Disney was attracting some of its harshest critics. Eisner and Katzenberg were actually brought in, in 1984, because the company had so little faith in Miller's leadership.
    I know some of the movies during that era were failures and often aren't looked upon (or even mentioned for that matter), but I am not familiar with most of the Miller era due to being raised on the movies made during the Katzenberg and early Eisner era, before Eisner started screwing things up big time. This is also because not that many people talk about Miller in comparison to Eisner, especially since Eisner did more damage to the company if anything. Miller was just not up for the job, while Eisner was essentially retooling the company in his image, which essentially lead him to being booted out.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ron Miller was Walt Disney's son-in-law, and his background, before marrying into the Disney family, was in playing professional football, so, as you can imagine, a lot of critics at the time saw his rise to power (having been hand picked by Walt for the role) as a rather obnoxious case of nepotism.

Miller wasn't the total sitting duck that he's often pegged for - he did achieve some successes in his time, such as the creation of Touchstone Pictures in order to target older audiences who typically shunned the Disney brand, but his leadership drew a lot of criticism, particularly from Disney shareholders, and box office returns were mixed and critical reception quite tepid. I'm certainly not saying that he was the worst thing ever to happen to Disney, just that Katzenberg and Eisner weren't the birth of Disney bashing - indeed, they were even seen as the company's fresh new hope at one point.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Ron Miller was Walt Disney's son-in-law, and his background, before marrying into the Disney family, was in playing professional football, so, as you can imagine, a lot of critics at the time saw his rise to power (having been hand picked by Walt for the role) as a rather obnoxious case of nepotism.

Miller wasn't the total sitting duck that he's often pegged for - he did achieve some successes in his time, such as the creation of Touchstone Pictures in order to target older audiences who typically shunned the Disney brand, but his leadership drew a lot of criticism, particularly from Disney shareholders, and box office returns were mixed and critical reception quite tepid. I'm certainly not saying that he was the worst thing ever to happen to Disney, just that Katzenberg and Eisner weren't the birth of Disney bashing - indeed, they were even seen as the company's fresh new hope at one point.
    I never knew that, I don't know too much about the era between Walt Disney's death and Jeffery Katzenberg's rise to power other than the mixed receptions of the films at the time.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is certainly ironic how these things go in cycles. Eisner was brought in, with the support of Roy Disney, after Miller was ousted, and chose to keep the company's animation department alive despite pressure from other members of the new management to pull the plug on it. Twenty years later, and Eisner's leadership had created a whole new backlash against the Disney brand, prompting Roy Disney to launch his "Save Disney" campaign against him. And ultimately Eisner was ousted.

Lost Time Memory Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I think I saw a documentary like that before, regarding Disney's decline during the 70s and 80s and what they had gone through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Disney is judged very harshly. I am tired of seeing people criticise them so much. They are a good company, and they provide us with great animated movies, as well as giving us Studio Ghibli's dubs (and faithful ones to boot!). Plus they made Kingdom Hearts, one of the few Square-Enix games I like.

Yes, their live-action stuff is mostly not that great (it used to be good way before modern teen culture came about).

I actually hold Disney in much higher regard than Nickelodeon. At least Disney gives all of its shows a chance. Nickelodeon basically can't live without SpongeBob. (A British girl I knew at a camp I went to told me about a SpongeBob marathon that lasted for MONTHS.)
    Enigma pop star is fun
    She wear burqa for fashion
    - Lady Gaga

Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree with people saying that Disney's recent movies suck. Wreck-It Ralph was AMAZING, and Tangled was pretty good too.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    I don't agree with people saying that Disney's recent movies suck. Wreck-It Ralph was AMAZING, and Tangled was pretty good too.
    Pixar deserves most of the thanks there. Disney definitely found something good with Pixar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Pixar deserves most of the thanks there. Disney definitely found something good with Pixar.
    Pixar didn't make either of those films.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Pixar didn't make either of those films.
    They didn't? Ohhhhhhhh...

I'll just be going then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

No you see Disney stopped doing 2D films a decade ago xD that's why it's hard to tell which movies are Disney's and which are Pixar unless it's actually mentioned (it is actually) cause they both do 3D now. Oh wait, there was the Princess and the Frog in 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Disney is indeed done with 2D animation for the time being (Bob Iger announced earlier this year that there are currently no plans for any more 2D animated features). Sadly, The Princess and The Frog, though well-received, did not signal the comeback for the medium that many were hoping for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

While I do get that CG was becoming more popular as seen with films from Pixar and Dreamworks I do wonder why Disney decided to switch even though 2D is what originally made it famous...but I guess that's just evolution. Anyways this isn't really the thread for that xD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Kutomba on Facebook
    Follow Kutomba on Tumblr

They're swimming in money. It's our job to criticize everything they do.
    I kissed you in the water and made your dry lips sing
    I saw you look like a Japanese baby
    In an instant I remembered everything...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast