Are we too hard on Disney? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Are we too hard on Disney?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are we too hard on Disney?

Disney World is a win
    Disney Movies are wins
    Disney Channel is okay (Phineas and Ferb is awesome)
    Mickey Mouse always was and always will be awesome

The teen/tween show stuff are kind of bad but obviously people have different tastes

Blog Entries

It's not that we're too hard, it's that disney's too soft.

Blog Entries

If it wasn't for the old movies(the ones before the switch to CG), Kingdom Hearts (Wait, that is from Square Enix), and Selena Gomez (Hot is hot), I would never touch it.
    Last edited by Ino-Chan; 25th September 2010 at 09:30 PM.

Disney is what made Kingdom Hearts so great! The only thing I don't like about Disney is Disney Channel.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

They reinforced every bad thing that has ever been said about hyenas in the Lion King. They can get knotted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    They reinforced every bad thing that has ever been said about hyenas in the Lion King. They can get knotted.
    In all fairness, do hyenas get anything BUT bad press?

Formerly Wachamp Neon_Seadra No. 10's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    On the topic of prejedice/stereotypes, the crows in Dumbo. Both are examples of Disney's fondness of distasteful stereotypes.

Disney has it's moments, that's for sure.
    My Seadra's brighter than your Seadra.

The Blog

Thanks to IslandWalker for the Avatar!

Wouldn't it be easier to hate on Disney once you are above their taget audience?

I mean, when you look back there were still crap shows when we were younger but when we look at all the new stuff we automatically think of them as below par when we have just simply grown out of it.

As for being evil as a company...I have heard a few stories but opinions won't change the fact that they have created some of the best cartoons and films from America.
    I am a pioneer, they call me primative. I am purity, they call me perverted. - Guess the song.

Blog Entries

I'm part of their target audience but most of there shows suck now give me something more realistic like teens cursing when they drop something on their foot when parents are not around and I'll happily watch it. I honestly now a days us teenagers know more words among other things then parents give us credit for seriously the second theirs no adult around you should hear the conversations me and my friends have in lunch.
    "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."

- William Westmoreland

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

-Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Disney Channel's TV shows usually get a big ech from me. Gravity Falls is the sole exception.

The movies are great, though. For me there hasn't been a Disney movie that was genuinely bad, at least not yet.
    Loud and clear, 524
    Freud? Keloid? Just hit the key
    Everything, all's to be laughed at
    Hurry, dance with all your foolishness

--
    Here's my sprite gallery if you want to view it.

I have officially claimed Time Man.

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

When Walt Disney was alive, Disney was good. Nowadays, not so much.

Disney Channel is the definition of pathetic. All of its shows suck, and even when they air a good movie the commercial breaks are unbearable. The real Walt Disney must be rolling in his grave because those morons are ruining Mickey Mouse with shows like have a laugh and Mickey Mouse Clubhose.

The movies are okay, as long as it isn't live action (Pirates of the Caribean 1-3 sole exception) and Disney isn't trying to be Pixar (Wreck-it-Ralph sole exception). And Disney is being lazy most of the the time (as shown by their video games (other than Kingdom Hearts) and the fact that they are remaking their old movies in 3D). Disney is also acting like Genghis Khan because they are taking over rights like crazy.

And I can't wait to see what they will do to Star Wars. (!!! SARCASM ALERT !!!)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Disney is what made Kingdom Hearts so great! The only thing I don't like about Disney is Disney Channel.
    No, that was Square Enix. All Disney did was edit a few things such as dialogue from their characters.
    Last edited by Spyspotter; 8th September 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    No, that was Square Enix. All Disney did was edit a few things such as dialogue from their characters.
    I didn't mean development. I know Square Enix was totally responsible for that. I meant the presence of Disney characters, the usage of Disney worlds in the plot and environment, etc. added a special magic and character to the series that hadn't been done before really.

Follow Empyrean Philharmonic on Tumblr

Oh, this is interesting. I'll offer my own opinion on this, though I respect others' opinions too.

I was recently reading a feminist's blog about the "sexification" of Disney princesses. Personally, I find this highly and utterly annoying. I have a cousin, little eight-year-old girl, who loves Disney princess products. If you look at the artwork really carefully, you'll see that the Cinderella in 2013 is completely different from the original Cinderella movie that came out in the 1950s. The 2013 Cinderella has a much more bigger pop-culture-ish look based off of teen idols like Taylor Swift and Paris Hilton. Compare that to the 1950s version and her face is a lot more bland and ordinary. If anyone wants pictures, I'll be happy to show them.

As for Pixar movies, Pixar movies are amazing (with the exception of Cars 2, which had me going, That came from PIXAR?!?!?!). I never complain about Pixar movies, because their movies actually have good meaning to it. A lot of their movies have made me cry, especially Up. Actually, Wall-E was amazing too. They've made it onto my favorite films of all time, next to The Red Violin, La vita e bella, and Spirited Away.

The Disney Channel on TV, for me, is just pure entertainment with absolutely no value in my life. I get my entertainment by playing Pokemon games and writing Pokemon fanfics, thank you very much. I used to have a friend who would force me to watch Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place all the time, and I hated every moment of it because the "funny" moments in which there was background laughter never felt funny to me. :P Besides, it's bubblegum pop culture aimed for girls exclusively, and even though I'm a girl myself, I just never found those shows appealing to me. I would like to think my tastes in entertainment as leaning more towards asexual interests, not at something exclusively aimed for one gender only. On a final note, I have to say that these TV shows on Disney Channel featuring teen idols have given me completely false assumptions about boys, especially when I was in middle school. I actually used to treat boys a different way from girls because those teen TV shows displayed them in a way that's supposed to appeal to girls as if they were saying, You need to get a boyfriend as a girl to have value, and this is how you do it. But that's just me, and I'm sure other people don't feel that way. Thankfully, I'm over that now and I look at the world with as much equality as I can. Or at least, as I can try. ^^' Plus, I stopped watching that channel about five-six years ago, and now I'm in my high school senior year as happy as a bumble bee! :D

(Of course, there are exceptions like Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls. Those are the only ones I'll tolerate. I need to get that in there.)

Disney World/Disney Land can be fun, but there are always controversies about those parks. Because it's so complicated, I won't really delve deep into them due to the lack of time.

Well, that's really all I have to say for now. As a final note, I'd just like to say that Disney's a gigantic corporation that plays a significant role in the economy. When anyone is talking about corporations in general, I always keep to mind that corporations usually portray themselves in a good light while there are common people like myself who will see the really dark and dirty secrets these corporations do all the time. Whether or not we are too hard on Disney, I think, is ultimately up to the children of the future. I can imagine my not-yet-existent grandkids saying how stupid I was for not doing more to fight against Disney, or saying that I was way too harsh on a corporation trying to make people's lives happier. It's all subjective stuff, really. :P

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to hate on Disney once you are above their taget audience?

I mean, when you look back there were still crap shows when we were younger but when we look at all the new stuff we automatically think of them as below par when we have just simply grown out of it.

As for being evil as a company...I have heard a few stories but opinions won't change the fact that they have created some of the best cartoons and films from America.
    I'm a part of Disney's target audience, and I still think Disney is awful.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Disney has been bashed on since the 80's when Jeffery Katzenberg came into power, and while he was the one who started the Disney Reinnassance and began the Disney Princess trend, he's rarely bashed on as much today when it comes to his Disney projects (as for his Dreamworks projects, that's another topic).

The only ones who are really bashing it are those who are not pleased with some of their recent moves, and to be fair, the one who caused much of the controversy with Disney was Michael Eisner, who was known for being extremely corrupt and made a number of controversial moves among Disney fans who were happy with the Katzenberg era and before, such as pusing Mickey Mouse more to the side, creating the infamous Direct to DVD sequels, and was arguably the one who caused the downfall of Disney Channel. Things got better when Bob Iger and John Lasseter came into power, but it's not going to be like it was during the Katzenberg days.

There are only two major problems I have with Disney, the first being the fact that they are relying more on CGI. Now, don't get me wrong, I normally have no problem with an animated film being CGI (some of my favorite animated films are CGI), the problem is that they seem to not think that 2D is no longer marketable, granted that their last 2D film Winnie the Pooh underperformed at the box office (though it's competition was really to blame, which was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows), they ended up shutting down their 2D animation division in April 2013 and layed off many of the animators, and it gets worse when you consider that almost ALL major animation companies are making only CGI films because they essentially are competing against each other (namely Dreamworks) in what I like to call the "CGI Cold War". Granted the reason for this is because of the current economic situation in the United States, CGI animated films are much cheaper to produce at the moment, with 2D animation studios either being shut down because of the economy, being either outsourced to South Korea or are replaced with CGI, or worse, Flash animation.

The other major problem I have with them is the Disney Channel. While I never grew up with the Disney Channel due to being exposed to Cartoon Network more, but I'll admit that while their cartoons are pretty good (except Fish Hooks, which I dislike for both it's writing, characters, and freaky animation styles), the tween-coms are absolutely annoying. The live action shows in the early 2000's to around 2007 ranged from good to decent, the last one I considered to be good was Phil of the Future, which sadly ended on a cliffhanger and was cancelled because one of the higher ups didn't think it was that appealing and wanted more peppy tween fare. This new direction began with Hannah Montana, and after Hannah Montana became a hit, almost every single show has been evidently a Hannah Montana clone, giving birth to the "tween-com", where teen girl stereotypes make up the cast, the laugh track never stops, and the writing is filled to the brim with almost every sitcom cliche you can think of. Another thing is that the lead female is almost ALWAYS a pop-singer that is essentially a Miley Cyrus clone who is always made to look as pretty and perfect as possible and are in love with tween boys who are no more or less different, it's as if DC has a secret cloning facility beneath their studios where they create teen idols genetically bred to be perfect. The shows themselves are, as I said earlier, Hannah Montana clones, often with some sort of gimmick to it that makes it allegedly different from the rest

Also, have you noticed that their more recent tween-coms have been getting more and more unrealistic, with more fantasized plot-lines, such as a recent ANT Farm episode that involved time travel, or Dog with a Blog's entire premise of a talking dog? Granted this was the premise of Wizards of Waverly Place (arguably one of the better shows Disney Channel aired in recent years to some), but this is prominent in more down-to-earth tween-coms such as the aformentioned ANT Farm, Jessie, and what I consider to be the worst offender of all of the tween-coms in every single aspect, The Suite Life on Deck.

Now, the original Suite Life of Zack and Cody wasn't too terrible of a show, considering it was one of the earlier tween-coms born around the same time as Hannah Montana, and it was pretty down-to-earth and realistic most of the time other than the titular twins hijinks, but the sequel series, The Suite Life on Deck is not just completely unlike the original show, but arguably the worst tween-com they've made, as well as what is pretty much the embodiment of everything that's wrong with Disney Channel. First off is the fact that they replace half the cast, set the entire series on a boat that apparently has a high school, and while it has an advantage in the fact that they are visiting other countries such as Japan and India, it tends to abuse television geography such as having an episode where they go to Kansas, a LAND LOCKED state that's far from the ocean. Many of the plotlines tend to be more and more unrealistic and would work more on a cartoon series than in a live action sitcom set in the modern day real world, for instance, one episode had a genie making wishes, another episode had the ship be struck by lightning and relive the events of the episode over and over again, another had a HAL 9000 knockoff who wanted to marry one of the main characters. One of the biggest offenders was a time travel episode where they go to the future on the "Starship Tipton" and they rip off Star Trek, complete with a redshirt death and the fact that they all wear outfits that look similar to the Starfleet uniforms worn in The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine (one of the characters even looks like Captain Sisko in the early seasons of DS9), and George Takei guest-starring in the episode (yeah, you can probably tell I'm a huge fan of Star Trek).

But the worst is the movie, where the twins become part of an experiment where someone is trying to make twins have a psychic link, but wants to have all the twins in the world become part of a hive mind (like the Borg, minus the cybernetic implants and the cubes, and a billion times lamer, plus I needed to get one more Star Trek reference out of me) as a mad scientist who is behind this experiment wants to take over the world (OF COURSE!) and happens to be the evil twin of another scientist in the movie, and I'm like "That was lame, were the writers high on something when they made this!?"

Sorry if I rambled on about The Suite Life, but it's what a basic tween-com on Disney Channel is like anymore. DC seems to be getting better now given it's cartoons are rather popular compared to the tween-coms, but Disney is pushing the tween-coms harder and harder and pushing the animated shows more and more to the side while the fans of the animated shows watch them more and more. Overall, Disney Channel is essentially between a rock and a hard place right now.

Asides from that, there's nothing else I have against Disney, their animated films are still good (despite a few road-blocks here and there), and they've done mostly good with Marvel (other than Ultimate Spider Man, but that's another story), and Star Wars Episode 7 is shaping up to be hopefully good, so there's room for hope in it's less pleasant parts to be seen.
    Leggo likes this.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast