Are we too hard on Disney?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Are we too hard on Disney?

Blog Entries

Default Are we too hard on Disney?

They are regarded with fear, loathing, and malice. They are said to have "out-Bowlderized Bowlder", second only to 4kids in the amount of censorship they do. Their mascot has been killed horribly, or prortrayed as a sadistic tyrant, in various countercultural media.

I'm talking about the Walt Disney corporation, of course.

But are they really that bad?

Sure, some aspects of the company may be annoying, such as the Disney channel tweencoms, the teen star conveyor belt, and their decision to make stupid name changes to "appease a wider audience" (coughTangledcough). But are they really evil?
    And is the sweetness in their movies really saccarine, or genuinely heartwarming?
    I say no and heartwarming to the above, but I want to hear what the rest of you think. Speak out!
    Yes, I am coming out of the closet as a Brony. Problem, manly men?
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic34657_1.gif

Check out the TVTropes Fanon Pokedex project! (especially the articles written by Umbramatic, which is most definitely not my alternate username ;) )
    Also, my recently-resurrected fanfic. And something N fans would love to read.

Default Re: Are we too hard on Disney?

They still sucks. All things are better at the beggining, but then they sell themselves out to the man. Look at Simpsons, a former shell of itself.

Blog Entries

Sometimes they fuck up sometimes they are good. Their early movies are very, very good their later ones are okay and their tween shows completely suck.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Disney still puts their name on Pixar's movies, so that's something good from them.
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuness View Post
    Disney still puts their name on Pixar's movies, so that's something good from them.
    Problem is, that's all they really do. So Pixar doesn't really count.
    Though Pixar is starting to pick up Disney's reputation for saccarineness. George Hutcheon said that Chinchou and Lanturn looked like characters in a Pixar movie, when anyone who's watched Finding Nemo knows that Pixar anglerfish are actually rather terrifying.
    Yes, I am coming out of the closet as a Brony. Problem, manly men?
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic34657_1.gif

Check out the TVTropes Fanon Pokedex project! (especially the articles written by Umbramatic, which is most definitely not my alternate username ;) )
    Also, my recently-resurrected fanfic. And something N fans would love to read.

Blog Entries

Their movies are really the only thing keeping me from forgetting them.
    Everything else is trash. Every couple of years you get a "Teen star" who later disappears under the other loads of crap the broadcast.
    Their movies are the only good thing, and even then I have to find select movies that are quality.
    What happened to the good old times?

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

I really don't get why so many people don't like Disney's shows. I like every one of them.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Disney's movies can be great when they're not live action (Enchanted is the exception) and they're not trying to be Pixar (Bolt is the exception).

I can't understand the hatred for Disney movies, honestly. They're not that bad.

The channel does suck, though, besides Phineas and Ferb.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think Disney's a fine company. The only pet peeve I have with them is that they bought toys from China and sell them for a much greater price than the cost. I thought it was unfair.

Anyway, for the movies. I actually like what they have to offer, because it's magical. Some of them I like are Fantasia, Little Mermaid, Aladdin and it could go on. I am also amazed with the popularity of Goofy also, who comes to me as an unexpected popular character that even I like (and same goes for his son). Well, they have so many greats that I cannot even list all of them. Some of their shows are quite nice too. I liked American Dragon, Kim Possible, Lilo and Stitch and obviously Phineas and Ferb (I don't say any 90's show because they don't need any praise).

Let's not forget Kingdom Hearts. I have a slightly disgruntled relationship with that franchise, due to the anime characters blending into Disney worlds (and Sora's transformations), but I actually respect them for making Disney awesome again, because, for example, I heard that Mickey is portrayed as a badass.

I really cannot be hard on Disney, because frankly, how harsh can you be at their niceness?

Blog Entries

What are you talking about?

They made Kingdom Hearts, how could you not like THAT?
    Disney's pretty awesome.

I can’t take it anymore,
    Not with all the liars
    Like a prisoner of war

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

As long as you ignore all the crap aimed at teens, as well as all the teen stars with no actual talent, Disney's actually pretty cool.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

All of their TV is god awful, and most of their recent movies (excluding pixar films) haven't been too great either. They were great back in the day when 2D was virtually all they did, but now they're just sad. They sell out way too much, and create talentless teen stars.

Blog Entries
    Follow Nelly On Twitter
    Follow Nelly on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyboy0337 View Post
    They still sucks. All things are better at the beggining, but then they sell themselves out to the man. Look at Simpsons, a former shell of itself.
    What are you talking about? If anything, The Simpsons were bigger sell-outs in the 90s. Still a fabulous show (was and still is one of the great satires of the modern household). Come on now, don't start pulling reasons to hate Simpsons' constantly shifting style of humor out of thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuness View Post
    Because they own Pixar now. They aren't just the studio Pixar releases their films through. So if we are going to call Disney evil, money-hungry sellouts, then as of 2006, we will have to bunch Pixar in there as well.

As for me, Disney is awfully cutthroat. To the point of getting a lot of hate (and rightfully so). Are they evil? Not quite. But they are getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    Let's not forget Kingdom Hearts. I have a slightly disgruntled relationship with that franchise, due to the anime characters blending into Disney worlds (and Sora's transformations), but I actually respect them for making Disney awesome again, because, for example, I heard that Mickey is portrayed as a badass.
    You have to take into account why they blended those characters. What pisses me (and many people) off about those Final Fantasy-esque anime-stylized characters is how damned self-important they all are. The Disney characters are used to strike a balance, and even make a few jokes at the self-important characters' expense.
    Last edited by Nelly; 9th September 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raikou View Post
    What are you talking about?

They made Kingdom Hearts, how could you not like THAT?
    Because it suck? Idk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    The channel does suck, though, besides Phineas and Ferb.
    Still most of their shows outclass CN by a mil.

I think Disney is OK, I don't really watch it much, but I do like shows aimed at children, life's hard enough, simple humor make my day.

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

I find it interesting that so many people are saying that Disney "sells out," but I have yet to see any examples.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast