Uncommon/unusual instruments you're in love with

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill Cipher
  • 2 Post By Cariad

Thread: Uncommon/unusual instruments you're in love with

Default Uncommon/unusual instruments you're in love with

Some people don't care about instruments, as long as it's good music, it doesn't matter...but personally...there are instruments that just resonate with me in different ways. Like, certain pieces wouldn't sound nearly as good without them. If you feel the same way, introduce a certain instrument/family that has you transfixed and infatuated. I'm going to start with a little bit about the mandolin family.

I've known of the Mandolin for awhile, but it wasn't til about 2010 that I really began to be transfixed with it. It first started in a bluegrass setting, as you might expect, it was always the same time I really started diving into bluegrass, but that's another story entirely. There was just something about the way people played it, the way it sounded, the tone, the look...it all just started digging at me. So in 2011, I traded all my musical gear for a banging Mandolin...but eventually had to sell it. It really was a joy to play, I'd recommend it to anyone that plays an instrument.

As far as the tuning and register goes, it's tuned exactly the same as a violin, GDAE in that upper register...which kinda deters me a bit, I'm not a fan of the super high registers, I prefer something that sits around the same place as a guitar, but the mandolin isn't the only instrument in it's family. There are alterations in the same vein as the violin: Mandolin, Mandola, Octave Mandolin (same tuning, just an octave lower than a standard mandolin), Mandocello and Mandobass (which is rather uncommon for obvious reasons).

I'm a laaarge fan of the Mandocello, which is tuned, as you'd expect, like a Cello. It sits in that nice pocket that I love. The thing about the tuning that I DON'T enjoy is tuning in fifths. It's easier with a mandolin, with such small distances, but a mandocello makes it seems like a pain. On the plus side, every chord is movable. But these are all temporary problems, I'm sure. Once you get used to the new tuning, it will be just like any other instrument.

It's hard to explain, but the mandolin family just has a really nice baroque sound that I absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE. It fits with Celtic, Bluegrass and classical compositions, all forms of music I adore. Vivaldi - Concerto for Mandolin in C Major RV425 - YouTube probably one of my favorite pieces written for mando. I could go on...but I'll stop here for now, I have other instruments I'm sure I'll gush about in the future.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Uncommon/unusual instruments you're in love with

I have a stylophone that I get periodically addicted too. The only other thing I have is a piano, which is not exactly uncommon.

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

I love the Theremin. It's so futuristic. *A*
    Jack Pschitt likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

I'm not really sure if you can class it as uncommon/unusual, but I am in love with the sound of a harp. It's just absolutely beautiful, a mix of both relaxing and therapeutic ... <3
    Dolce and Bill Cipher like this.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really like modular synthesizers. All these electronic musicians these days who come out on stage in front of cheering throngs with a little laptop and a mixer are such clowns. Sequencers, modulators, filters, oscillators, that's electronic music right there.

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

Any instrument can just grab me and suck me into a strange world...

But certain timbres just sound so amazing. I play the oboe, but I LOOOVE the sound of the English Horn. Also, if you've ever heard music from Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, a lot of tracks use a gorgeous double reeded instrument called the crumhorn. I love it! And solo bassoon, mmm...

Double reeds aside, I like the cello (specifically played solo), and any type of conical low brass. Oh, euphonium, you've stolen my heart...

I should really stop going on and on, cuz I just love it all. Music major FTW! ...sigh...

ღ Still Counting ღ Caprizant's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Caprizant on Tumblr

See this thing? Do you know what it is?
    That is an ondes Martenot.

And do you know what an ondes Martenot sounds like?

This.

You have been educated. Carry on, my pupils.
    I fucking love this thing.

EDIT: I also found an article about it here if you'd like to give it a read.
    Last edited by Caprizant; 24th April 2013 at 10:10 PM.

"Cheer up baby, it wasn't always quite so bad; for every bit of venom that came out, the antidote was had."
    F&GRulesLast.fmTPPSDaveVriskaKurlozRoseRoxyPorrimUser TitleLocationQuote

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I have a stylophone that I get periodically addicted too. The only other thing I have is a piano, which is not exactly uncommon.
    I kinda want one of these...because why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 42 View Post
    I love the Theremin. It's so futuristic. *A*
    I was never much a fan of the Theremin, not sure why

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I'm not really sure if you can class it as uncommon/unusual, but I am in love with the sound of a harp. It's just absolutely beautiful, a mix of both relaxing and therapeutic ... <3
    Harps are very pretty...but even more expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    I really like modular synthesizers. All these electronic musicians these days who come out on stage in front of cheering throngs with a little laptop and a mixer are such clowns. Sequencers, modulators, filters, oscillators, that's electronic music right there.
    I'd have to agree, though the only electronic music I really enjoy is original 8/16 bit soundtracks and chiptunes

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadButterfree View Post
    Any instrument can just grab me and suck me into a strange world...

But certain timbres just sound so amazing. I play the oboe, but I LOOOVE the sound of the English Horn. Also, if you've ever heard music from Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, a lot of tracks use a gorgeous double reeded instrument called the crumhorn. I love it! And solo bassoon, mmm...

Double reeds aside, I like the cello (specifically played solo), and any type of conical low brass. Oh, euphonium, you've stolen my heart...

I should really stop going on and on, cuz I just love it all. Music major FTW! ...sigh...
    Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of brass instruments. Reeds and woodwinds however...speaking of reeds, I'll discuss the Melodica!

Quote Originally Posted by Laïka View Post

See this thing? Do you know what it is?
    That is an ondes Martenot.

And do you know what an ondes Martenot sounds like?

This.

You have been educated. Carry on, my pupils.
    I fucking love this thing.

EDIT: I also found an article about it here if you'd like to give it a read.
    ...the only word I can think of to describe this is "groovy"

On to my second instrument! The melodica. It's sound is kind of a mix between an accordion and a harmonica but has really great note control that emulates the violin quite well. It looks like a small plastic keyboard that you can set on a table or hold in one hand. There's a tube that comes out the side that you blow air through that passes over the internal reeds to produce a note. It generally has a range of around 3 octaves. They're also REEEALLY affordable. I'm not sure what it is that makes me adore them so much...but just check out these clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGfyin3ukE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOLvaEnaVUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1ogHmt4lY

Blog Entries

Follow Autumnbreeze on Tumblr

I actually love bass flutes. It helps brings a lower tone to the normal higher octave flute. Having friends in a flute choir helps this, haha.

I just play the flute/piccolo, so the alto flute and bass flute really mesmerize me because being able to play that low is pretty cool.

"I don’t put much stock in anyone else’s opinions of a person.
    I prefer to judge the people I meet with my own eyes."

-tumblr- -fanfiction- -dreams-

Where is my Mega Zoroark? Bad Apple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

...Ocarina... mostly because of Zelda, but I've liked it's sound before I even got Ocarina of Time...
    "I see you have no soul. Want mine? It's black and gooey" -The Frozen Man