Tell us about the weirdest bands you have ever listened to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about the weirdest bands you have ever listened to.

A cute little robot girl. Satoshi-kun's Avatar Social Media Deputy Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Satoshi-kun On Twitter Add Satoshi-kun on Facebook
    Follow Satoshi-kun on Tumblr Visit Satoshi-kun's Youtube Channel

Default Tell us about the weirdest bands you have ever listened to.

Hey everybody, it's Sato! Yes, I know, you're thinking right now "yes, we already knew that, Sato. You're Sato." Well, whatever, I'm here to ask you guys to post about the weirdest bands that you have ever listened to.

Now, it would be preferable if you posted about weird bands that you actually LIKE, because I don't want to see a bunch of posts of "hey, this band E Coli and the Bacteria have a CD out that is sampled toilets flushing, and it sucks, but it's the weirdest band I have ever heard," because that would be boring. It's no fun if you don't like it, y'dig?

Anyways, after a few posts, I'll post a few as well. Have fun!

Default Re: Tell us about the weirdest bands you have ever listened to.

I have a song called ghosts by a band called ladytron. That's the weirdest I have... sorry :(
    (I am "vulpix" in the bulbagarden irc chat! Come talk to me!) (I like black women!)

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

One of the weirdest bands I've heard was Animal Collective. I know there's people who like them but I find their music pretty odd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vulpix View Post
    ...ladytron...
    I LOVE me some Ladytron!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRoyal92 View Post
    ...Animal Collective...
    Never got into this band, although I have heard so many good things about them. Maybe one of these years... maybe.

Anyways, here's some weird bands that I dig the hell out of. There are tons, but here are a few.

Cardiacs, an odd little band from the UK. They are a wonderful psychedelic mixture of prog rock and punk.

They Might Be Giants, an odd little band from New York City. They were absolutely adorable in the 80's! They're still trucking, even today. They're not too weird, but they are a little odd, and that's how I like 'em.

Gentle Giant, a lovely Prog Rock band from the UK. Rock with wonderful classical influences.

Ohhh, I got a weird band =D

Plastic People of the Universe from communist Czechoslovakia.

They were partially responsible for ending oppressive Stalinist rule in Czechoslovakia!
    That's nice.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

Well he's more of a solo person but Tom Lehrer. He has songs of all sorts, a bit satirist, that is what makes him so great. Go look him up.

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia and more

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun View Post

Anyways, here's some weird bands that I dig the hell out of. There are tons, but here are a few.

Cardiacs, an odd little band from the UK. They are a wonderful psychedelic mixture of prog rock and punk.

They Might Be Giants, an odd little band from New York City. They were absolutely adorable in the 80's! They're still trucking, even today. They're not too weird, but they are a little odd, and that's how I like 'em.

Gentle Giant, a lovely Prog Rock band from the UK. Rock with wonderful classical influences.
    I only know one or two They Might Be Giants songs , but I wouldn't say their weird myself.
    I love this one so much:
    They Might Be Giants - Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) - YouTube
    Neither would I say the other two are, but I guess it's your definition of weird. :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRoyal92 View Post
    I only know one or two They Might Be Giants songs , but I wouldn't say their weird myself.
    I love this one so much:
    They Might Be Giants - Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) - YouTube
    Neither would I say the other two are, but I guess it's your definition of weird. :)
    Why Does the Sun Shine!!! I have that 7" somewhere in my record collection!

Well, I didn't want to go too odd on everyone. I chose bands that are a bit out of the ordinary, but can still be accessible. Here, we can go down the rabbit hole a little further.

Boredoms, noise rock out of Japan.
    Melt-Banana, more fun Japanese noise.
    Stump, from London. When I think of this song, I imagine Adam Ant ingesting a lot of LSD and hanging out with Primus.
    This is the Cardiacs video that I tend to show those who already have a taste for the odd.
    Captain Beefheart! This was the first song of his that I ever heard. Heard it back when I was in elementary school... it blew my poor little mind.

You may enjoy those more.

my OBE garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun View Post
    "hey, this band E Coli and the Bacteria have a CD out that is sampled toilets flushing, and it sucks, but it's the weirdest band I have ever heard,"
    My eyes were drawn to this the instant I opened the thread. I was so disappointed to read the context and see that you made it up. :p

Anyway, it's not actually a band, but if you want an exotic listening experience then I recommend you look up the Conet Project.

My life is forbidden Serenity's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

I only listen to Hostile Omish for one reason and one reason only. Lizard up my butthole. I blame you for letting me listen to this song. It's hilarious. xD

sleeping is my passion Winterdaze's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

There's this very strange musician called Ed Cake who I've seen live, and I could only describe his seminal piece as some kind of trip-hop recorded phone conversation of a man complaining to the manager of a chicken company about hormones in the chicken.

^~^ Liu Min's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

This is my kind of thread.

James Chance Contort Yourself - odd mix of free jazz and NY punk.
    Liquid Liquid Cavern - very unique band, kind of like minimalist funk/disco with a post-punk edge
    Neu! Hallogallo - krautrock anthem. Sounds like a house song payed by a rock band.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

0490 5858 1001, btw

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One band in particular instantly came to mind, but I wanted to find something less well-known, but I couldn't really think of anything, so here's Radiohead. They released their hallmark album OK Computer (which is the best album of the 1990s btw) in 1997 and then basically imploded on themselves and made a bunch of freaking bizarre music, enough of it for two albums released one year apart (Kid A and Amnesiac), along with some B-sides like the song I linked to. They're definitely not the alt-rock outfit they were in the '90s any more, but their material made since doesn't quite live up to the sheer weirdness of the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions. It's the strangest, most peculiar, most bizarre music I've ever listened to.

Blog Entries

I don't listen to many bands, but I can tell you about the weirdest hands I have ever listened to.

FLY TO THE END OF LIFE

SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I've never thought TMBG were wierd. They are pretty mainstream really. Their music is featured on lots of things, not just Malcolm in the Middle.

Weirdest bands: Dead Milkmen, Frank Zappa, Ween, Cornbugs.

Weirdest artists include: Joanna Newsom, The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black and possibly Daniel Johnston, although he's pretty mainstream nowadays.

Weirdest but best song ever: Link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast