Television shows that were particularly hard on the main character - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Television shows that were particularly hard on the main character

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Television shows that were particularly hard on the main character

Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    Nearly every problem that was encountered in either show was the result of something the hero did and honestly, i think that downplays the hero aspect of their character. Fixing a mess that you caused isn't as admirable as fixing a mess that you had no hand in, yet choose to fix anyway because someone asked you for your help.
    I seems that you'd be more comfortable reading old Superman serials than following any series currently running.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Blog Entries

Everybody Hates Chris, I mean, the title alone gives it away. :P
    Dolce and Niji like this.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Kaori View Post
    Guys, let's keep things in perspective here. It's an interesting topic, but let's not take it so seriously and personally. Unfortunately, this is just the format many young people can enjoy and relate to - feeling like an underdog or like everything is your fault and then having to overcome that. It's natural that some shows, especially those geared towards this age group, would follow such a pattern. Not many shows are or have to be a literary/storytelling masterpiece.

I personally feel it resonates the most within Courage the Cowardly Dog, yes. I just always felt so sorry for that little guy, everything seemed against him. He literally was the underdog.
    I think this perfectly explains it. Like in Zexal, it seems like Yuma's a joke of a hero, but he eventually becomes as great as the other past protagonists. It's inspirational how he never gave up, and that he could go from having a natural lack of talent, to totally kicking butt.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Blog Entries

Fawlty Towers springs immediately to mind.

President of everything. Headless Whoreman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Headless Whoreman on Tumblr Visit Headless Whoreman's Youtube Channel

The Walking Dead. I mean, just when Rick thinks everything is alright, his wife and friend die. He's forced to kill his traitorous best friend, and is on the run from motherfucking zombies throughout the entire series. Then, two of his friends are held captive in a place called Woodbury. Even after freeing them, yet another one of his friends is captured. He also loses his mind about halfway through season 3. I think that Rick's got it pretty bad.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    The Pokemon anime in the most definite sense, sometimes it can focus too much on Ash, other times it completely pushes him off to the side in favor of other characters. Best Wishes, especially the later episodes, essentially tended to push Ash to the side and turned it into "The Iris Show occasionally starring Ash Ketchum".
    Agreed. I say the Pokemon Anime, because poor Ash Ketchum can never win a League, and he can never be a Pokemon Master. T_T
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Pokémon Master Ash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    The Pokemon anime in the most definite sense, sometimes it can focus too much on Ash, other times it completely pushes him off to the side in favor of other characters. Best Wishes, especially the later episodes, essentially tended to push Ash to the side and turned it into "The Iris Show occasionally starring Ash Ketchum".
    Agreed. I say the Pokemon Anime, because poor Ash Ketchum can never win a League, and he can never be a Pokemon Master. T_T
    It's what TV Tropes refers to as a "Diabolus Ex Machina", where all logic is put aside to knock down whatever achievement a character has, in this case, Ash losing a league. It's not as common as the more well known Deus Ex Machina, but it's a thousand times more insulting to a character or show. When a character succeeds like Ash Ketchum you should feel good for them, but when this is done it makes it feel like the episode (or series) is taking a happy ending away from you specifically. It is also done in hand with another trope the Pokemon anime abuses, being the "Status Quo is God" trope, being the refusal to change the dynamic of a show, hence why the Pokemon anime refuses to change is because it abuses these two tropes.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Cowboy Bebop - While Spike is blessed with being a badass, he never catches a break. It seems like he never gets to hand in a bounty, and he and the rest of the crew are eternally broke. This bad luck extends to the two other main characters as well (Faye and Jet).

Nothing ever goes right for Spike, and the flashbacks sprinkled throughout make it clear that this has been the case for some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12